Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Welcome to the home for all discussion regarding animated adaptations of funny books and Tiger and Bunny. Please note that this thread is pretty superhero oriented, so sorry if you’re looking for some hardcore Baby Blues discussion

Here is the old thread.

What’s currently on TV?

Beware the Batman Cartoon Network
It's really hard for a show to be really weird and really boring at the same time. A testament to the fact that CG animation has not evolved enough so that it can produce quality serialized television, the show wasted one of the two things it had going for it which was some great character design work.

The show does utilize some of the more obscure members of Batman's library such as Anarky, Professor Pyg, and Magpie.

DC Nation Cartoon Network
DC Nation is what the programming block of Young Justice and Green Lantern is called. Between those shows are a collection of DC related shorts in different animation styles. There are also interviews with DC creators and such. While there are apparently going to be some standalone shorts, there are also recurring ones.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Again) Nicktoons
It's a reboot of the Turtles with a teenage April. It's getting some pretty good reviews so far. It definitely has a great mix of humor and some darker material. If you're a fan of the turtles, I doubt this will really disappoint.

Ultimate Spider-Man Disney XD
It has a good pedigree with Paul Dini and Bendis behind it. The show focuses on the element of Fury as a mentor to Peter from the Ultimate comics. There are also appearances from other Marvel heroes, teaming up with Spider-Man. It's also pretty comedic heavy with cut-aways and sight-gags.

Are there any good shows I missed?

Yep.

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes Disney XD
As good as its theme song is embarrassingly awful, Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest is the Marvel equivalent to Justice League Unlimited in the way it throws around characters. Personally, I don’t love the animation and design, but the stories are rather fun.

It lasted for two seasons and can be found on Netflix.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold Cartoon Network
A great and weird creature, this show is easy to sell as just being a modern version of the camp of late 50s and early 60s Batman. That’s really not doing the show justice as it contains darker stuff like “Chill of the Night” (Probably one of my favorite Batman stories ever told in any medium). While it can be campy, I would describe it as earnest more than anything else. It’s a show that accepts Batman is great, can do anything, is the world’s greatest detective, has a spaceship, and is purely morally incorruptible.

Brave and the Bold is the greatest thing we have yet accomplished as a species.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series Cartoon Network
The show focused on the space opera aspect of the character, mostly dealing with Hal off of Earth. It also contained some modern Green Lantern foes like the Red Lanterns.

It was originally panned because it occasionally looks like an N64 game. Reception was decent, but it was cancelled after one season.

Spectacular Spider-Man Disney XD
A fun animated mishmash of Lee/Ditko comics, Ultimate Spider-Man, and the movies. The series has two seasons and is available on DVD. It’s definitely worth a watch. It’s amazingly well plotted with great characterization. You actually like Eddie Brock and totally understand why he hates Spider-Man/Peter. It’s really the only adaptation to nail MJ as a character. It also had a great tendency for Spider-Man to use clever science oriented methods of defeating the villains. Sadly, it ends on a pretty depressing cliffhanger.

What’s really depressing is that the show was rather popular. It just existed at the wrong time. It originally aired on Kid’s WB towards the end of the programming block’s life. So, it was left without a network after it’s first season. Disney XD waited a pretty long period of time to actually air it. Then Sony, the show’s production company, lost the animation rights to Disney.

Wolverine and the X-Men Nicktoons
This show also seemed to suffer the shift in changing of hands regarding the rights to Marvel properties. It’s essentially the spiritual successor to the 90s series. It’s a bit more focused and high concept in its plot. It starts with the apparent death of Jean and the Professor. The X-Men disband, things get worse for mutants, and they eventually group back together to help make things right.

I’m not a huge fan of the show, but a lot of people really dug it. It’s considered in the same continuity as Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. So, there is also that.

Young Justice Cartoon Network
Loosely inspired by the defunct comic series, Young Justice revolved around Robin (Dick), Superboy (Conner), Artemis Crock, Kid Flash (Wally), a new Aqualad, and Miss Martian. They acted as the stealthy arm of the Justice League. While the stories focused on the young heroes, the older League members play a large role in the series.

The show had a mixed reaction from fans. The animation and characters designs were highly praised, but the writing was found a bit lacking. The characters often seem a bit shallow despite the amount of angsty drama that revolves around them. I personally like the show.

Season 2 was titled Young Justice Invasion. While I won't put too many spoilers in here, there is a jump in time from the first season to the second with some shake-ups in terms of team members.

Are there any awful shows I missed?
Yep.

What is there to look forward to?

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H Disney XD
Slated for 2013, and possessing the best title ever, the series has Hulk teaming up with Red Hulk, A-Bomb, She-Hulk, and Skaar. Paul Dini will be involved. He actually worked on the under-appreciated 80s Hulk cartoon. It will take place in the same continuity as Ultimate Spider-Man.

Some Stupid Other Avengers Cartoon Disney XD or Cartoon Network
This Avengers series will be replacing Earth's Mightiest heroes. It will share the same Loebverse (UGH) as Hulk and Ultimate Spider-Man.

gently caress television. What can I just get on Netflix?
For the last five years DC/Warner Bros. Animation and Marvel have released direct-to-DVD films that sit in their own individual continuities. Their efforts have been mixed…

Their original respective films, Ultimate Avengers and Superman: Brainiac Attacks, were horrible The former was a lame washed down version the Ultimates, missing what made the comic unique. The latter was superficially an extension of Superman: The Animated Series, but lacking in continuity. Over the years, things have somewhat improved. Here is the list of Marvel films…

Ultimate Avengers
Ultimate Avengers 2
The Invincible Iron Man
Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme
Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
Hulk Vs (A double feature with a film where Hulk fights Wolverine, and one where he fights Thor)
Planet Hulk
Thor: Tales of Asgard

The first five are pretty boring, and missteps in adapting the characters. Hulk Vs is actually pretty good. The Wolverine segment in particular features a great adaptation of Deadpool.

I have not seen Planet Hulk or Thor: Tales of Asgard. Reviews have been rather solid for both.

Here is the list of DC films…

Superman: Brainiac Attacks
Superman: Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis of Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One

Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. the Elite
The Dark Knight Returns Part One and Part Two
Superman Unbound
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Not only is DC’s list longer, but it’s much stronger in quality. Superman: Doomsday is… weird. New Frontier is a decent, but lacking adaptation of the comic. The main issue is that the book’s most stark and defining moments tended to not really tie into the core story. So, they’re cut for the film. Gotham Knight and Emerald Knights are a collection of shorts and flux in quality. Emerald is a little more consistent in both quality and style.

Wonder Woman and First Flight are decent origin stories for their respective characters. The latter really would have made a much better film than the live action Green Lantern movie. It’s basically Training Day with Hal and Sinestro taking the respective rookie/corrupt cop roles. Crisis of Two Earths is decent. Red Hood is very good. Public Enemies and Apocalypse suck, but have good action. Like New Frontier, All-Star is fine, but it’s a direct-to-video adaptation of an amazing piece of art. Year One suffers from the same issue, but has the advantage of having the inspired casting choice of Bryan Cranston as Gordon. Doom is based on the one aspect of "Tower of Babel" that everyone remembers. It's not doing so well in terms of reaction. It's a shame since it's the last thing Dwayne McDuffie worked on.

Their two-part The Dark Knight Returns adaptation was highly praised while their more recent entries have had a mixed reaction.

They are currently planning adaptations for the first arc of Geoff Johns's Justice League reboot, a "Batman and Son" adaptation, and a film that takes place in the universe of the Arkham games.

Many of the films have also included short films in the DC Showcase series. With the exception of the recent Catwoman short found with Year One, you can view all the shorts and a new one on the Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam DVD. The shorts have been received rather well.

The Big two haven’t been the only ones to get into the Direct-to-Video market. Two Hellboy animated films were created, Sword of Storms and Blood and Iron. 4Kids also produced Turtles Forever, a series finale for both the original and second Turtles series where both incarnations team up to save reality. It’s pretty great, but it’s sad that it lacks the voice cast of the original series.

How about a movie released in actual theaters?
Feature-length animated comic movies are a rarity. It’s odd considering how animation really is the closest film translation of comics as they often even share the same visual shorthand. The only notable superhero film is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It is pretty great, only second to The Dark Knight in my opinion.

There have of course been adaptations of non-cape books. Some notable films are Little Nemo, the Fritz the Cat films, and Heavy Metal. It’s really weird that R. Crumb saw his work adapted to the silver screen before Stan Lee.

Persepolis is a fantastic recent animated adaptation of the great memoirs. Unfortunately, Chicken and Plums is being releases as a live-action film. I’m sure it will be great, but I really love the style of Persepolis. I want more animated films like it.

Steven Spielberg also threw down with The Adventures of Tintin. It replaces the occasional racism with realistic skin textures, and is getting some pretty solid reviews. While it is motion capture, it exaggerates the facial expressions of the character so that they resemble the original Hergé designs and don’t fall too deeply into the uncanny valley.

David Fincher also really wants to make a Goon movie, and he has Blur studios behind him. They even made a little proof-of-concept short and trailer. There is no release date, so who knows.

All this new stuff is good, but can we talk about old cartoons?
Like the Fleischer Superman and Popeye cartoons? Sure!

I mean the DC Animated Universe

Of course! The DC Animated Universe is an incredibly unique beast. It’s very rare to have multiple TV series and films that all share one universe. Many of us watched the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series when we were preschoolers, and watched the final episode of Justice League Unlimited in our college dorms. It’s heavily influenced the source material it drew from and animation in general. The series consists of the following projects

Batman: The Animated Series
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman: Sub-Zero
Superman: The Animated Series
The New Batman Adventures
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
The Zeta Project
Static Shock
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited

Literally all of them are great shows. Zeta Project, a spin-off of Beyond, is probably the worst of the bunch, but still decent. A lot of folks don’t care for Static Shock. While there are some embarrassing episodes, it’s a perfectly fine kids show.

Batman: The Animated Series also tends to cast a long shadow over the series. Indeed, the show was fantastic and has some amazing things. It was also incredibly inconsistent, and there are a lot of lovely episodes in it. If you asked me to watch a random episode of Superman: The Animated Series or Batman, I’d go with the former because it was much more consistently good.

Another mistake that people tend to make when discussing the Universe is that it was a one or two man operation with Bruce Timm handling design and Paul Dini handling the story. Both men are incredibly overcredited, although Timm is much closer to being the architect of the series. If, for example, you want the man that was responsible for Justice League Unlimited, that was Dwayne McDuffie.

Long story short, if you call it the Diniverse, I’ll get whiney.

Can we talk about the 90s Marvel Universe?

I guess.

If I left anything out… tell me.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You forgot about the Batman/Superman crossover two-parter/mini-movie/whatever it was, where the DCAU officially became a U.
Nope! While it was packaged as a film, it's technically a three part episode of Superman: The Animated Series unlike Phantasm, Sub-Zero, and RotJ which were produced and distributed as films.

krut posted:

Great OP! Where did you hear about Superman Versus the Elite and Dark Knight Returns?
Both were announced at Comic Con.

V gently caress, you're right. Fixed. V

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 15, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Year One is actually the textual evidence of Bale's guttural, inhuman Batman voice. There is a part of Year One where he mentions actually growling like an animal. So, it's funny that they went the opposite direction with such a clinical, and dry voice. I did think it was effective for the dinner scene.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 27, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Someone please make an effortpost about Phantom 2040 because it is actually pretty good (it is Aeon Flux Jnr)
It's true. The premise, the cheap opening with some bad early CG animation, and the fact that it aired at a weird time for me made it seem disposable. It's really pretty fun, and at least worth it for the Peter Chung designs if you were into Aeon Flux.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
War Rocket Ajax has a podcast up right now with Ben Jones, director of Batman: Brave and the Bold. He shared a failed potential episode idea:

Ben Jones via War Rocket Ajax posted:

Another one, Michael Jelenic, the story editor and head writer, he wanted to do an Animal Man story. Like, a specific one from the comic books and adapt it for the show, and he couldn't talk James [Tucker] into doing it so he was trying to get me to sort of back him up and say "that's a cool story, we should do that." But it was one where I couldn't figure out how we could do the ending on TV, so I sort of demured and said "I don't know if that's the one to do." And now I'm really regretting it.

I guess I won't get into any trouble for saying it, but it was... issue 5, maybe? The one with the coyote. So obviously it would've been great to animate that, but there were a lot of things, like the coyote getting shot by a silver bullet that was melted down from the necklace of a guy whose partner died of AIDS. Like, that detail, maybe we couldn't have gotten into the show.

It probably would've worked without it, but that story kind of has to end with the coyote dying in a Jesus-y pose, which is trouble for Standards and Practices. And for our show, I didn't know how to wedge Batman in there.

I've never wanted anything to exist more than this.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I find that one of the strengths of Brave and the Bold is its ability to make things very much its own. As stated, there are tons of things you have to change to make the story all-ages. It would be a different take on the story, sure, but I would have loved to see what they did with it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I like them as a kind of novelty. I think people tend to unfairly compare them to full animation rather than their more obvious, I feel, counterpart: audio books. Now it's not a perfect comparison, but it's an interesting attempt to marry the visual nature of comics with that kind of adaptation for a more passive medium.
It really depends on the project. Black Panther and Spider-Woman were definitely aiming to be cartoons. The Watchmen one had the trappings of a an audio book with its single narrator. The reason that the audio book comparison doesn't work is that audiobooks do not offer an experience that deviates much from reading a text. The reading experience is different, but the text is maintained. Motion comics take away a lot of what goes into the visual storytelling of a comic. Formatting is removed and the panels no longer have to rely on implied action. It devalues the work of the artist and the work of the book.

An audio book is a valid way of reading a novel. A motion-comic is not a valid way of reading a comic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of audiobooks abridge the texts, though, and there are many that use multiple voices to enhance the experience, trying to be some closer to a radio play.
I'd argue that abridging text isn't inherent to the medium. You can also read an abridged text version of a novel. As far as multiple voices, you most likely hear voices of the character when you read a work as text. Now, I agree that the experience isn't the same as reading a book. There is definitely a translation. The big one is that the narrator/actors are adding definition to the voices of the characters and narrators. Still, the text is the text. The story is being told in the same way, through a sequence of words created by an author. Audio books, at worst, add, but they don't subtract.

Layout and relying on the illusion of motion/action in and between panels is inherently lost in motion comics.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 23, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

It wouldn't be a DC animated movie without someone being horribly miscast (usually that person is a movie or TV star who doesn't normally do voice acting.)
I've liked their celebrity voices. Chris Meloni as Hal Jordan was definitely weird, but it worked for me. I can't think of too many missteps.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Teen Titans GOOOO!.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
That's very corny, but I still did like the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN visual gag. I think one thing I find disappointing is that in the comics, Fury didn't really want to be a mentor. He was just trying to figure out the best way to wrangle Peter. The subtext of their relationship is that Peter ended up looking up to Fury and believing that his mentor is a much better man than he actually is. It's sad that they seem to be adapting one aspect of Ultimate Spider-Man and subtracting what made it interesting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm aware. They are adapting the relationship between Peter and Fury that is pretty exclusive to Ultimate Spider-Man. From that scene, Fury's depiction and their relationship are pretty boring compared to what it was in the comic.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 3, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

That was... odd. I feel like the one minute time really didn't help it at all.
I liked it a lot, but it felt more like an excerpt from a larger episode than an actual short. I just want it to be a full series now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I didn't like Joe Kelly's "Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, and the American Way?". Superman's no-kill code is a contrivance that DC editors impose to prevent Superman from killing off his recurring villains. Other heroes in fiction kill their foes and we think no less of them for this, so Superman's sanctimonious defense of a story contrivance felt hollow. Secondly, the book did not explore the issue with any meaningful depth. Manchester Black was a caricature, too vulgar and extreme to be taken seriously. Superman defeated the Elite in battle in the end, but the only thing this proved is that he could defeat them in battle. It did not validate his beliefs in any way.
Yes, DC must preserve cherished characters such as Lex Luthor, Braniac, Metallo, Parasite, and... I love Superman, but leveling his no kill code on his rogues gallery is ridiculous since it's the weakest part of the character. It's also missing the core concept of the character which is the absolute hope he has for everyone. If he decides to snuff out one life then he's saying that person couldn't be redeemed, and he stops being Superman.

I'm not a huge fan of "Whatever Happened..." and I don't even mind Byrne's story where Superman is forced to kill, but you're absolutely missing the soul of the character and blaming it on protecting characters that the general public doesn't even care about in the same way they do Batman's rogue gallery.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, just so we're clear, with Cartoon Network's DC Block, they have original short films that take chances, give different animators a shot at playing with the DC Universe, and utilize some obscure characters. With Disney XD's Marvel Block, they have cheesy dubs of old Marvel cartoons that go on for way too long.

Avengers was good today, but I am a little disappointed that they're going back to Asgard so quickly. Last season was so Thorcentric, I was happy for him to temporarily be off the team. I was also surprised that Zemo didn't figure out what's going on with Cap.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 15, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
X-men: Evolution is a pretty good show that has some of the lamest moments I've ever seen on TV. I had to look at the youtube description to make sure this clip was not a fan-edit-thing. It's actually worse than I remember.

It's still totally decent in its early seasons and was the best Marvel cartoon before Spectacular came along. The real shift in the series is the season two finale. When the show starts, it's this weird prequel to a non-existent X-men Universe. You get stuff like Arcade as a teenager, Senator Kelly as principal, and mutants not being known by the public. The latter really takes the bite out of the X-men.

The season 2 finale ends with mutants becoming public and the show becomes a lot more interesting after that and it just keeps getting better till the series's end.

There are also specific gems in the series like the Captain America episode where Cap never says a line of dialogue. Above all, my favorite thing about the show is Cyclops. After being hosed over in every single adaptation, this show has a great handle on the character. They get that he's a bit of a lame goody-two-shoes without being boring or a dick. They also do some interesting things with his relationship with Wolverine.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
GOOD NEWS GUYS! Earth's Mightiest Heroes isn't actually ending. The new Avengers show is actually going to be a continuation that is bringing it more in line with the movie universe. So, don't worry, it's not really over. It's just going to be awful now.

That explains why they redesigned Fury.

Link.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
More Comic-Con Marvel Animation stuff.

Loeb wants to do another Wolverine vs. Hulk movie? What.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, you're right. The Marvel Knights animation is strictly their motion-comics.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hey, let's talk about cartoons! Apparently someone at Marvel.com watched some Harvey Birdman.

Apparently this is going to be a continuing thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was a little worried about them breaking up the Dark Knight Returns into two films, but I feel better after seeing the trailer. It looks like they're going to break it up into Batman's return/The Mutants and Joker/Superman.

I wonder if they'll have the balls to adapt the political satire of DKR to a contemporary setting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, I don't even know. I think JLU gave a good deal of finality to the DCAU, it's a bit weird for it to come back. I mean Lex Luthor redeeming himself by sacrificing his life to kill Darkseid with the anti-life equation seems like a good final page. I'll be down if they decide to show us the Near Apocalypse of 2009.

EDIT: Really they should be giving buckets of money for Timm to work as a creative consultant for the Justice League movie if not as a full fledged producer.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 31, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, one of the DC Nation shorts involved Blackfire being presumably eaten by her own children. The Go shorts have had a weird edge to begin with, and the original cartoon has its share of hosed up moments.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Does it make me a bad person if I think that Iron Man: Armored Adventures is the best show Marvel has going for it right now?

Goddamn it, the Yostverse was awesome.
Well, it's over now. I mean are you saying that it's better than the best of X-men: Evolution, Spectacular Spider-Man, and the first season of Earth's Mightiest Heroes or that it's better than Ultimate Spider-Man?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't think the issue is with Thor being a god. He is clearly a Norse God. The word itself is sort of a loaded one and can sometimes get in the way of S&P. Turner Broadcasting's S&P had issues with Jesus's name being used which led to a few episodes of Futurama being edited.

As far as the Hulk not being angry, I never heard that before. There are still references to his power being rooted in anger like when Hawkeye gets him to turn back into Banner by cracking him up with the notion that Hawkeye could take the Hulk.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Taking an argument McSpanky and I were having from CD into this thread because it didn't need to be in the Man of Steel thread.

McSpanky posted:

Dude, there's no way to be unclear about a factually incorrect statement delivered unambiguously. This is what you said:

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's not what happened. Superman and Darkseid were on a ship that was going to blow and kill both of them. Superman just wanted to finish the fight and get some closure despite the fact that he was going to die. Batman saved Superman and left Darksied to die.

This bolded part simply did not happen. He didn't go into that fight for closure, as soon as he disappears from the main battle to find Darkseid and Batman notices his absence, he goes "oh no" because he knows exactly what's about to happen. There's a moment specifically in the middle of that fight when Darkseid is conclusively beaten like he was at the end of "Legacy", Superman pauses in a moment of reflection, and then continues towards him with the same clear intent to finish it that he expressed at the beginning of it ("and this time I'm not going to stop until you're just a greasy smear on my first."). The only way to misinterpret this sequence so hard is if you simply don't want to believe its implications.
I am not arguing that Superman wanted to kill Darkseid. I'm arguing that he wanted to kill Darkseid for his own closure more than anything else. He wanted to have his victory. It was a moment that was not about saving lives. It was a moment of being selfish to the point where he was disregarding his own safety.

quote:

"Twilight" does the exact same thing. Superman spends the whole episode doubting Darkseid's true motives for the truce to destroy Brainiac, and at the end he's proven right, as Darkseid was going to destroy the entire universe after doublecrossing everyone; Superman just saw firsthand that Darkseid is too dangerous to either trust or let live. Batman tries to console him by saying "there's no way he could have survived that [cataclysmic explosion of Brainiac's base]", and Superman responds with and ends the episode by saying "You know what Bruce? You're not always right." In other words, Superman was right all along. He was right to want to KILL DARKSEID. The episode couldn't say it any clearer without him turning right to the camera and literally reading the episode's themes like an essay.
No, he wasn't right. If Batman didn't stop Superman, Superman would have died, and he would have died for nothing. Darkseid comes back eventually. Apokolips is just torn by civil war and is arguably worse than ever. Darkseid definitely needed to be stopped, and I don't think Batman and Supmerman were wrong for leaving him behind. Still, Superman staying just to beat the crap out of him would be the wrong thing to do. It was shortsighted and stupid.

That doesn't mean that Batman isn't wrong in the episode. His arrogance puts them in a bad situation to begin with, but that's the point of it all and what makes it a good Darkseid story. Darkseid brings the worst out in these two and leaves them with a rather shallow victory.

McSpanky posted:

(Having just rewatched the episode to make sure I got my facts right, I noticed that it's totally remarked offhand that Superman thought he killed Brainiac already, was surprised to discover he's still alive, and nobody on either side bats an eye at this. Nobody is concerned over Superman's willingness to kill severe threats, they're just surprised at how reckless and hotheaded he's being about Darkseid in particular. But we all know robots don't really
count anyway. :roboluv: )
Fair point. I will say that Superman: The Animated Series always treated Braniac like a computer virus more than a sentient being. It is a bit troubling for me though.

quote:

Pages and pages ago in the thread, when you brought up DCAU Superman it was as a version that didn't kill. Then it was showed that sometimes he wanted or tried to kill, suddenly those don't count because it was always portrayed as wrong. Now I just locked down probably the best example of that and struck it down, what else is left? If you shift this goalpost any harder you're gonna have to punt the ball into loving orbit to hit your mark.

Your version of what Superman "should" be doing simply doesn't line up with what he is most often portrayed AS doing. This is nothing more than a No True Scotsman Superman fallacy at work.
Listen, I was having an argument with another poster who was saying that people who are against Superman killing want a Superman who always wins. I pointed to "Legacy" and "All-Star Superman" as stories that include parts in which Superman fails because of a character flaw. In "Legacy," he lets his rage get the best of him. In "All-Star" his overconfidence stops him from being able to save his father.

It wasn't really about Superman killing or not killing. It was more that you can have stories in which Superman fails or is challenged while still holding up certain principles. I thought "Legacy" was a good example of that. You were the one who came in suggesting that the point was invalidated by something that happened on a completely different TV show. I think the story stands on its own even if it's contradicted by other things. At the very least, can you admit that Superman's attempt at revenge at the end of "Legacy" is wrong? I mean how else can you read that episode?

As far as the broader DCAU, yeah, the treatment of Braniac as something that is fair game to kill is a good point. We also saw Nazis being killed by Green Lantern. We saw Superman attempt to lobotomize Doomsday and only fail because he couldn't. It is a universe that has always tested Superman. Still, when given the choice, when Superman thought his friend was to be killed... when he was given concrete evidence that Lex Luthor might destroy the world just as he did in the Justice Lords world, he decided not to kill. I think that generally Superman was depicted as someone who avoids lethal means in even the most extreme situations, and he's usually wrong when he leaves his values behind. Ironically, he once again fails to defeat Darkseid by embracing anger in the last episode of JLU, but Darkseid is defeated by what is the ultimate victory for Superman, the redemption of Lex Luthor.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought "The Princess and The Frog" was going to change that and bring back a new golden age of 2D animation in cinema, but then Avatar happened :negative:
There are still great 2D animated films coming out, you just have to look beyond the US. France has really become the major force for quality 2D animation with stuff like Persepolis, The Illusionist, and A Cat in Paris. Japan hasn't abandoned 2D animation at all. Satoshi Kon probably had the strongest filmography of any director working in the last decade with Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfather, and Paprika which are all masterpieces. There's also Chico and Rita, The Secret of the Kells, and other small 2D movies coming out around the world.

I liked The Princess and the Frog, but it was trying to revive something that I don't think is coming back. We're probably not going to have a revival of what Disney was at the end of the 20th century. There is still good stuff out there.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Weird choice in making Alfred Jason Statham tho.
I think it's a weird choice because people who like the idea of Alfred being this ex-military/spy badass tend to like it because it comes off as unexpected of this otherwise unassuming and dapper gent. It's just boring to make him overtly badass.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nevermind that the change he makes could in no way lead to all this being different, because that's how DC Time Travel works!
Wait, isn't that how time travel in Marvel? I know Wally and Linda had their twins because of crazy time travel.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, Morrison was really right that it seems off and creepy for Batman to deal with petty crime.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

The first two Metallo episodes are great, but after that he got ran into the ground real hard.

Superman in his TAS incarnation also has the unfortunate distinction of headlining what is undoubtedly the worst animated movie in modern comics media:

Braniac Attacks is really bizarre because despite reusing most of the voice cast and designs, it is not part in the DCAU continuity. It's just this weird prototype for the DTV model that WBA has been following.

As far as championing Superman: The Animated Series, I think that it did a great job with Toyman. He's not too spectacular in terms of story as he's coming from the revenge well that many of Batman's villains did, but he's so spectacularly creepy.

I will also say that Superman: The Animated Series is the best looking of any of the DCAU shows. Once again, Batman: The Animated Series could be gorgeous. There is stuff like Clayface's transformation that is breathtaking. Still, the animation could be horribly inconsistent and the designs were sadly too detailed for many of the studios that they were dealing with. While I'd argue TNBA was equal in terms of animation, there were really some major missteps in terms of design. Superman: The Animated Series on the other hand was a beautifully deigned show with really kinetic action that I think was lost in Batman Beyond and the Justice Leagues that often felt too stiff. I think there is this great fluidity and softness to their Superman design that really allowed the animators to exaggerate his actions to create great sense of impact to his punches.

Their Metropolis was also beautiful. It's one of the few depictions that really looks like the City of Tomorrow. While I think Gotham had a great atmosphere, Metropolis seemed like a more concrete and defined place. The memorable skyline definitely helped with that. It's a really pretty show.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Man, I love Batman Beyond dearly, the dynamic of the central characters is really good, the aesthetic and score are amazing, but a vast majority of the episodes are extremely unengaging Smallville type "freak of the week with almost no pathos or redeeming qualities" episodes, or even more Smallville style badly disguised preachiness. "Don't do drugs kids, here's an EVIL SUPERDRUG to show you how drugs are bad! And here's another episode that's basically the exact same thing. And another one."
I actually didn't mind the addiction episodes they did. The slappers episode was talking about steroids in everything but name, and it's a fair thing to discuss. It also had the great reveal of Bane in his old age. I seem to remember the Spellbinder episode to be a little more preachy, but it still seemed to be dealing more broadly with addiction than drugs themselves.

"The Last Resort" was also a pretty good episode in terms of trying to be relevant as it seems to have the subtext of "Calm the gently caress down" to all of the Columbine craziness that was going on at the time.

Also, updated the OP a bit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Apart from a couple of really bad episodes I enjoyed Static Shock, but I have no idea what the Zeta project is.
Static Shock is the mostly explicitly for children which is fine. It can be a pretty corny show, but it's a corny show with a good heart which presented a strong African American superhero. It's too bad that DC really couldn't do anything with the ball that McDuffie had tossed them. To be fair, DC really hasn't been able to do much with the good ideas that animation has tossed their way outside of Harley and Mr. Freeze. The lack of recognition that there is a whole generation of people who grew up with a much more well defined and much less offensive Starfire than what's currently in the New 52 is probably the best evidence of that.

I honestly think that Static would be a really good film property, but with McDuffie gone, I feel like the character no longer has anyone to see his value.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Batman's parents existed only to die and motivate the story so they were friged. Actually the name for it should be "Shot in a dark alley."
To be perfectly honest, I've always found the treatment of both Superman and Batman's parents to be a little weird. Thomas and Jor-El always seem to cast a large shadow over their respective sons whereas their female counterparts merely exist. Their deaths are tragedies, but they are tragedies in the context of the hero's life because it is sad to lose your mother. Thomas and Jor-El on the other hand tend to act as almost prototypical versions of the heroes their son will be. It is Thomas who in the silver age was the original Batman and is often cast as a philanthropist and doctor. It is Jor-El who tried to save Krypton and was responsible for sending Kal-El to earth. Lara is even cast as skeptical of his plan in Man of Steel, on paper and on screen. At least her recent on screen version was more active than Martha Wayne in Batman Begins who I'm not sure has actual lines. It's not strictly fridging, but it's interesting to see which parents have usually been deemed as more important over the years.

This sort of supports you recent posts about Fridging usually being more of a systematic issue. I do think that you are simplifying the responsibility and intent when it comes to how authors deal with many female characters. I had an argument with a friend about a popular novel in which a female character dies in a way that seemed to drive the male lead. It was a strong character, and her death was heroic and made sense for the narrative. Still a friend of mine took issue with the death because she felt a character she liked had been thrown on the pile of other female characters sacrificed to offer depth to their male counterparts. I don't think either of us was really wrong. I think the book would have been lesser if that character didn't die, but the death is still problematic in the grand scheme of things. What is important is for everyone, authors, editors, fans, publishers, reviewers, critics, to be mindful of these issues and be advocates for fictional women to not continually fall victim to these trends.

EDIT: To order fridging in terms of what's better leads to excusing the piece from criticism.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 5, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

While only sort of related, I talked to Ron Marz at a con some time ago and he thinks that "Women in refrigerators" is an incredibly stupid term and that he wishes that he'd come up with a far more horrifying way to kill off Alex. "Women run through wood chippers" was his suggestion.
Ha, I actually have felt bad for the dude because it seems unfair for a pretty large trend to be leveled on one story. It's like if the Bechdel Test was turned into a negative statement ("I do not watch movies that do not have two female characters...") and named after Star Wars. Glad to know he's kind of a douche.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For what is worth they're delving more on to Lara's and Martha's character nowadays. The backups on Court of Owls showed a Martha strong and determinated, and actually being the drive on the Wayne's philantropy, Lara's now a soldier and pretty much the one who does the heavy lifting on the fights that Jor-el keps getting into.
Oh, interesting. I forgot about that part of The Court of Owls. Also, was the Lara stuff in Action? I've also forgotten most of that run as well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'll be fine with Hulk/Avengers Assemble/USM if it means we get two seasons of garbage and 3 seasons of good stuff. Whatever happened to X-Men: Evolution needs to happen with these series as well.
X-men: Evolution was always a pretty decent show. The main problem was that it had a very nonsensical gimmick of "what were the X-men like in high school" which is a question that can be answered by reading Uncanny #1. It did do some fun stuff with that gimmick like Arcade's origin being that he was a random kid who found the Danger Room. Still, for the most part it just neutered the X-men by making them a secret. The first season is probably the weakest, but the second season has stuff like the Captain America episode which is just masterful.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

Just throwing this out there: given the massive amount of support the B:TAS thread had over in GBS, and considering that I have an entire effort-post drawn up (not written up yet, because I've been a bit short on time as of late), would it be OK if I were to make a DCAU thread over in TVIV? Because if any comic-book series deserves its own thread, it's that one.
Could you please include a note about why calling it the Timmverse is flawed and calling it the Diniverse is infuriating? I know that this is a little personal vendetta of mine, but the over-crediting of Dini just drives me crazy. I mean the guy already literally lives every aspect of a nerd's dream life including being as close to married to Zatanna as humanly possible. He shouldn't get credit when its due to other people.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Before the QA section of any panel for anything, someone on the panel needs to say the following, "We're going to open this to the audience. Before we begin, I'd like to just say that any current projects we're comfortable talking about we have already publicly shared. So, we'd prefer to not to have questions regarding projects we haven't announced. Also, it means a lot to have you all here. I know that [PROJECT] has meant a lot to you, and it means a lot to us too. Still, in the interest of time, please limit your questions though to only a few sentences, preferably one."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There is also a holdover idea of the last century that people only watch every third episode of a TV show that they like. You have to remember that television didn't really have a lot of competition in the latter half of the 20th century. It was basically up against written literature and film as far as entertainment, and it was monopolizing how people took in sports and news. So, there was an expectation that people just watched TV despite quality. Even if they didn't like what was on, they would watch something because what else were they going to do? So, someone in the 80s might watch every other episode of Gloria because why the gently caress not? Maybe they'd try something on the other channel, or have sex, or whatever every other week. Anything of quality like MASH lent itself to being an event of sorts, taking in pretty crazy ratings because--once again--there's not much competition. The problem is that now the internet and video games have created a lot more competition. So, TV is no longer the default at-home-entertainment, meaning that when people do watch TV, it's usually out of a larger sense of investment. How we take in TV shows has also changes with DVDs, downloading, and streaming. A lot of people marathon shows, and are even okay waiting for a run to end before they watch.

So, it's becoming an archaic idea, but there are still older viewers and older people involved in TV who think that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

True, but a man can dream.
Well, if Bleeding Cool is to be believed (I know), Wacker is moving to animation which would be loving amazing if he's taking over from Loeb.

• Locked thread