Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't the devs of the new game say something about how the visuals may run at 30FPS but the hit-detection still runs at 60FPS so it'll still feel the same? Can someone explain that to me in a way that makes it seem like it isn't complete bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't Ninja Gaiden Vita do something similar?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ho was Shadow of Rome, incidentally?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They just had a big game flop like loving mad for them and almost every venture with Western devs be a complete failure, I repeat DMC being a massive one.

DmC released in the same year as Lost Planet 3 and Remember Me, just to put things in perspective.

Then again, you could say they're just following in the footsteps of cherished classics like Street Fighter The Movie: The Game, Journey Into Darkness: Strider Returns and Human Killing Machine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah, but Street Fighter the Movie: The Game is legit one of the greatest flops Capcom has ever put their license on.

Sure, and it turned out the way it did for many of the same reasons as DmC - the developers got the gig solely because their arcade board was prettier than MK's, they were given an unprecedented amount of creative freedom and very little supervision for most of the project, and a lot of the people working on the game didn't understand how to properly design a fighting game (and were constantly clashing with the ones that did, from the sounds of things.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (Temco)

This game is being published by Tecmo but the developer is Spark Unlimited (Lost Planet 3) and the producer is Comcept. Like DmC, it's a UE3, 30FPS-on-consoles games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Aurain posted:

Bayonetta 2 says a lot about Sega's ability to do things wrong. Why the hell wouldn't they fund that?

They were for a while, then their budget dried up. Part of the reason it took so long for the western verson of Anarchy Reigns to come out was that Sega of America couldn't afford to print the discs, or so I've heard. They've backed right away from doing big retail console releases outside of big brands like Sonic and Aliens.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Give Kamiya and Itsuno a couple more decades and they might even be able to match Ninja Gaiden Black!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

notZaar posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Give MercurySteam a couple more decades and they might even be able to match Nano Breaker!

Better?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm trying to think of the last genuinely good western action game of this type and, God of War aside, I'm drawing a blank. Oni, maybe?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bayonetta 1's most important new feature: you can flip the Samus visor up/down during cutscenes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's already a Platinum thread lurking around somewhere.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Even for a Platinum game"? Platinum games are really long for the genre, maybe even too long.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why the gently caress would Capcom greenlight a DmC port when they won't even commit to a next-gen USF4 port?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Rewatching that does remind me how completely dogshit the camera is. Also its funny how neither Itagaki or team ninja have made a good game since they split.

Dead or Alive 5 is allegedly pretty good, as far as DOA games go. Devil's Third... hmm, yeah, I dunno.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking for a new DMC-style game to play on PC.
I've played the poo poo out of DMC 3 and 4, finished Metal Gear Rising like 4 times (that game's sooo good) and even finished DMC: DMC which was mediocre but the gameplay was enjoyable enough.
Is there anything I missed that could scratch that DMC itch?

There are the Lords of Shadow games which range from "not great" to "awful", Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z which is a complete piece of poo poo... uh, Marlow Briggs?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Beef Waifu posted:

Marlow Briggs is fun, but it's more like GoW, really.

I haven't actually played it but people keep telling me it's "surprisingly good" which I guess means it's a competent God of War clone rather than a terrible one? By PC action game standards, that ain't too bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bloodrayne Betrayal is a 2D attempt at that style of game, albeit a mostly unsuccessful one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man x Breath of Fire.

It's a mobile game.

Really?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'm kidding.

Okay, I thought so but I can't even tell with Capcom and/or mobile anymore.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yaiba managed to loving up Prince of Persia 2008 platforming, of all things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Capcom is still derpy not releasing the HD collection for PC/PS4/360

The studio that made that collection is now owned by Amazon, so that probably complicates things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DmC: Mea Culpa Edition seems to be available for consoles (PS4/XBone) now, and there's a little-advertised change that dramatically alters the game for the better:

Vergil's sick fedora? Gone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also extended the ending cutscene so instead of ending on Dante's eyes turning red, he instead walks off with Kat and slowly slides his hand down to grab her arse as they walk into the sunset. Sure, why not.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Come to think of it, there's not much coming on the character action front beyond the DMC4 re-release, is there? I have a hunch that Scalebound might end up being more of a curveball and noone knows what the gently caress Devil's Third is supposed to be but it's clearly not character action... what else is there? Ninja Theory's new game? No thanks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Szurumbur posted:

Metal Gear Rising 2 has been announced, I think? Though I don't know of the release date, I doubt it's soon.

They haven't announced anything but they've been teasing it lately, mostly by posting big 2's everywhere and then announcing other Rising-related stuff that plausibly corresponds with a 2, like 2nd anniversary wallpaper or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kojima said he wanted Rising 2 to be about Gray Fox fighting nanomachine zombies but he offered to write it for Platinum and they were all "thanks but no thanks".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, if this source is to be trusted, Trish and Lady will be playable in DMC4SE: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8103838.html

It also confirms a PC release (June 24, a week after the PS4/XB1 version).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
gently caress what you heard, it's what you hearin:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
sup Virgil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar8lWrY-vsQ

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, they're using it as hype for a new game for certain. At best I'd say they're looking at the sales response to DmC:DE and DMC4's new version to decide what they'll focus on, and even that might be a bit much since I'd be shocked if they got the team together to do new stuff for DMC4 without the intent of moving them on to DMC5

Considering DmC:DE was the "We're very sorry edition" and DMC4 is the "look at all this new poo poo" edition, they seem to have more confidence in the latter.

Only Devil Mea Culpa got a full retail release, though. That part, I don't get.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They mean like the REmake port they put out recently. Some games will require more work than others, some are in greater demand than others, some will never ever happen no matter how loudly the internet whines about them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
We got word about BG&E2 from E3 - Michel Ancel is officially no longer working on it and pretty much all the leads from the team have left to go work at Ancel's indie studio but it's totally not cancelled you guys!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ninja Theory didn't do the bulk of the work on DmC:DE, either; it was handled by a Polish company that usually does their PC ports, QA, etc. That's the nature of development nowadays - people at the publishers/primary devs make the creative decisions but most of the work is outsourced.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Szurumbur posted:

Can you tell who? I've tried looking it up, but the info does not seem to come up at all, everyone comparing the port to the original says "Ninja Theory did [x]" and their site isn't too helpful, either - although I might have missed something obvious, I suppose.

http://q-loc.com/en Ex-Capcom guy Christian Svennson is a board member.

Ninja Theory still had their design leads calling the shots, of course, they just weren't directly porting the game or implementing their ideas.

To give another example: there's a little-known studio of ex-Capcom/Platinum guys called Bee Tribe that does ghost work on most of Platinum's games (Vanquish, W101, Bayo 2 and the entirety of the Bayo Wii U port), and they're working on Tekken 7 right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some ction crap on sale on EU PSN, some of it doesn't suck!

quote:

Anarchy Reigns
80% off
Original price £19.99/€24.99
Offer price £4.00/€5.00

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Digital Bundle
75% off
Original price £24.99/€29.99
Offer price £6.25/€7.50

Devil May Cry HD Collection
60% off
Original price £19.99/€29.99
Offer price £8.00/€12.00

God Hand
70% off
Original price £7.99/€9.99
Offer price £2.40/€3.00

Killer is Dead
75% off
Original price £15.99/€19.99
Offer price £4.00/€5.00

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
80% off
Original price £19.99/€24.99
Offer price £4.00/€5.00

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
30% off
Original price £19.99/€29.99
Offer price £13.99/€20.99

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
25% off
Original price £15.99/€19.99
Offer price £11.99/€14.99

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
85% off
Original price £49.99/€59.99
Offer price £7.50/€9.00

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
50% off
Original price £34.99/€39.99
Offer price £17.50/€20.00

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
55% off
Original price £29.99/€34.99
Offer price £13.50/€15.75

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
50% off
Original price £49.99/€59.99
Offer price £25.00/€30.00

There's some other good stuff on sale like Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma, the Souls games, etc as well as lots of hunting games, musou and sidescrolling poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'll probably sell better and get a better critical reception.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It got a retail release and DMC4SE didn't and I also hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess this is a good a place as any to mention Ni-Oh, the long, long, loooooooooong-delayed Team Ninja game, has finally been re-revealed and will be out next year, exclusively for PS4. Remember, this game was supposed to be a PS3 launch title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfGYXIOems

EDIT: oh yeah, Devil's Third is out in most of the world. It's... an Itagaki game.

• Locked thread