Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Just finished the demo and that certainly was a polarizing experience. I can safely put the game out of my mind. It was not any particular part but the entire experience was just off putting.

The visuals were murky in that nothing really stood out, not Dante or most normal enemies. Weapon effects and those red and blue enemies stood out more but are not that cool to look at.

The platforming is the most bare-bones platforming I have seen in a great while. In principle it feels like the platforming in Enslaved, which was more of a guided tour of the landscape.

The default controls feel goofy. Most likely it has more to do with the fact that for me they are so different from the usual action games that they seem unintuitive to my brain (like having a separate button for launching attacks).

The other thing that felt off about the controls was the angel/demon triggers felt slow. Attempting to grapple an enemy would result in pistol shots on the first press of the shoot button and the actual desired grapple on the second press. Same thing with trying to scoop enemies with the scythe only to do a helmbreaker with the sword.

My final thought is: where did the emphasis on aerial combos come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I saw an Origin advert for Devil May Cry which mentions a prequel:

The pre-order now button links to this page where I do not see a DmC listed :iiam: :

However, Steam calls DmC a "retelling of Dante's origin story", which appears to be what every other vendor refers to it as. :ms:

Steam posted:

About the Game
In this retelling of Dante's origin story which is set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC Devil May Cry™ retains the stylish action, fluid combat and self-assured protagonist that have defined the iconic series but inject a more brutal and visceral edge.

The Dante of DmC is a young man who has no respect for authority or indeed society in general. Dante knows that he is not human, but also that he is not like the demons that have tormented him throughout his life. Caught between worlds, he feels like an outcast. Thanks to his twin brother Vergil, leader of the anti-establishment group called “The Order”, Dante is now discovering and coming to terms with what it means to be the child of a demon and an angel. This split personality has a real impact on gameplay with Dante being able to call upon angel and demon abilities at will, transforming his Rebellion sword on the fly to dramatically affect both combat and movement.

For DmC Capcom has teamed up with UK development studio, Ninja Theory, renown for delivering action titles with compelling characters and narrative coupled with high production values. The combination of Ninja Theory’s expertise and Capcom’s unrivalled heritage in producing combat focused action titles will ensure that this latest addition to the over 11-million selling series will remain true to the Devil May Cry DNA so cherished by the fans, while bringing a new level of cinematic quality to the title.

Key Features
- Survive Limbo - The world of Limbo is a living and breathing entity, out to kill Dante. The world will transform in real-time and try to block off and even kill our hero. Our protagonist will have to master demonic powers to shape Limbo the way he sees fit, while perfecting his angelic skills to traverse this hazardous, twisted world.

- Who is Dante? – Explore a retelling of Dante’s origin story in a gripping narrative featuring familiar faces from the series alongside all new characters, including Vergil, Dante’s twin brother.

- Unbridled action – The intense and iconic sword and gun based combat returns with the addition of new Angel and Demon weapons and abilities, all designed to dispatch the demonic spawn back to hell with style and panache. Weapons include:

“Rebellion”: Dante’s trusted sword, given by his father Sparda, provides a great mix of combos and attacks, great for sending enemies skyward.
“Ebony & Ivory”: These guns are good for keeping enemies at bay, maintaining combos and juggling enemies in the air.
“Arbiter”: a demonic axe that can deliver massive blows and break through enemy shields.
“Osiris”: an angelic scythe with fast attacks and great for crowd control.
“Eryx”: powerful demonic gauntlets that pack enough punch to parry even the strongest attacks and juggle the heaviest enemies.
- Retaining the Devil May Cry DNA – Capcom staff, including team members from previous Devil May Cry titles, have been assigned to the project from the outset to ensure DmC is a true addition to the Devil May Cry franchise.

- Unrivalled production values - Ninja Theory will take advantage of the latest performance capture technology to deliver a level of character design, story-telling and cinematics that perfectly complements DmC’s high-octane combat.

I'm glad that the latest in performance capture technology has helped better the character design, story telling and cinematics. If only they could also use it for the combat system.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

SurrealityCheck posted:

Ya I know. I'm just thinking out loud about where you could put an offset style system. I want to make offset offset the game where everything can be rolled together until you come out of a dodge and do 20 things at once!

That reminds me of a Sengoku Basara game I played where the character Keiji Maeda could cancel any of his moves into other moves and in turn cancel those and so on and so forth. In fact if you died you could also cancel out of your death.

here's a gameplay video that doesn't really demonstrate what I just said but it can give you an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lEQ05gY0Bg

as a bonus you can see not-vergil around 2 minutes in

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Oh, and one question - I've beaten the first boss (fire demon thing) a couple of times but I haven't managed to avoid his AOE attack even once. I start running away but Nero automatically throws up his arms to shield himself - and fails miserably. What the heck should I do to avoid it?

I start running away and jump once, this prevents Nero from throwing up his arms and the range on that fire AoE is shorter in the air. Also jumping nets you a few invincibility frames that may make the difference between getting hit or not. Just make sure not to double jump as you will lose your invincibility frames early.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

Also, the crazy black cats in Devil May Cry gently caress my poo poo up, even though I'm a killer Bayonetta player. What is up with them?

I believe their description mentions that their black exterior is resistant to devil arms so the strategy is to shoot them with your guns until they expose their core. If they turn red then they are in their self destruct mode and will attempt to grab you and blow up. Using the grenade launcher and dodge rolling sideways to cancel the recoil from the gun makes quick work of them.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

All of this gently caress, gently caress, gently caress you reminds me of Dead to Rights:Retribution.

They should add a feature where you can tell Vergil to attack people so he can bite their balls off with his creeper face. Now he's motivated.

I wonder if NT included allowing Vergil to sheath his katana for generating style points. It was probably my favorite little touch in 3 and 4. There could be hope considering people have mentioned how the Vergil DLC seems much closer to the spirit of the original games.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

wikipedia posted:

The character was designed to fit Devil May Cry game developer Hideki Kamiya's vision of a "cool and stylish" man, and his personality was based on the titular character of the manga series Cobra.

GIS for Cobra

I never found Dante stylish but he did have a unique look going on. However, the leather chaps might be a bit too flamboyant (can something flamboyant be too flamboyant?).

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I was always partial to that one jukebox song from 3.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

My favorite type of games are gently caress-you games like DmC.

I'm really impressed that people are still mad about the game. Just ignore it and move on.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Honestly, after watching the on-going LP of DmC, I'm actually considering getting it. I was one of those people that was ambivalent about the whole thing until I playing the demo, which, just put me off.

User0015 posted:

If mockery stems purely from bitterness and anger, every goon would have died from heart complications years ago.

randombattle posted:

I seriously doubt anyone is actually mad about dmc more just they remember that they don't like it. Especially with how in your face dmc is about it and how people react to it. What's wrong with people saying they don't like it? Just cause the game is a little old now doesn't mean you can't voice an opinion on it. The real question is why does it bother everyone so much when people say they don't like dmc?

Yeah, I'm just assuming people are still fuming about it. It's probably that Steam just rolled out the tagging system and it was a low hanging fruit. It seems that any game that had some controversy has some "interesting" tags now.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's that Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2 (made by MercurySteam, produced by Konami) coming out soon...

There is a demo of that on Steam, My immediate comment on it is that there is an option in the menu to turn off all the QTEs. Otherwise, the combat feels a little mushy but that could just be me jumping around so many action games lately that my brain isn't adjusting properly.

Pesky Splinter posted:

...there's Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (Temco) A.K.A "How can we make the trailer remind people of DmC?"...

I think Take-A-Suck-Sugar-Tits: The Video Game has a lot of lost ground to make up after that trailer. However, I do remain cautiously optimistic for the gameplay.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

They could just rip Vergil from DMC3 and I wouldn't give a gently caress because I am playing Vergil in DMC4.
Honestly, this is all that needs to be done, if they add anything else it's just icing on the cake.

I never played DmC beyond the demo and I was considering getting the PC version for cheap and then MGR's PC version eliminated whatever desire I had for DmC completely. At the very least the new balance changes will probably make me give it a second look.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I'm sheathing my sword so hard right now and my style rank is going up.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Vergil – Dante’s ice-cold twin brother and master of the iaijutsu sword fighting style. As described by the game’s director, Hideaki Itsuno, Vergil will have a fully upgradable move set based on his rendition in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, with elements of DmC Devil May Cry’s Vergil added in, making this the definitive version of the character. He will also feature a new “Concentration” mechanic, which makes his attacks get more powerful the more flawlessly he fights. Vergil will be playable on any mission.

Did DmC Vergil have unique gameplay elements beyond what Vergil was capable of in DMC 3?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Pomp posted:

Now remove the dice board and make chimeras fun to fight :worship:

Since Vergil can play all stages I hope he cuts the die on all 3 occasions.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I wonder if Vergil's DT will be the same as from 3 or if they're going to make something that matches Dante's form.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

The Savior is coming!

They should stick Vergil in all the cutscenes similar to how Dante appears in Nero's opening cutscene.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I guess this is how they're slotting Vergil into the story.

quote:

Vergil is Dante's twin brother, and he also carries the bloodline of Sparda. Unlike Dante, he embraces his demonic heritage. Intrigued by the Order of the Sword, who worship Sparda as a god, he pays a visit to Fortuna many years before Dante's arrival.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I think Vergil taunts ~3:32 and it looked like it increased his concentration gauge. His taunt also appears to be him spinning a summoned sword on his fingers. Just before he taunted he sheathed his sword(~3:28) and it looked like that boosted the meter as well.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

notZaar posted:

In DMC3 you could do something similar. When you taunt he sheaths his sword and if you can manage to stay that way for a few seconds it starts to charge up the DT meter.

Oh yeah, I remember that. The Yamato had a unique taunt that had Vergil stand still after the animation finished. I don't think I ever stood still long enough to see the DT charge though.

The JP version of the site has the release date of 6/18/2015 (18/6/2015) but the English version only says "Summer 2015", isn't the game already localized by virtue of already being released? Why the disparity?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

notZaar posted:

I realize this is Super Vergil, but god drat he's a beast. I'm starting to get unreasonably hyped for this game.

On that note, I assume all the gameplay previews feature the super versions of the characters and yet they have health regen when they activate DT. I thought that the super characters didn't have health regen since they had unlimited DT.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

WHy didn't you link Dante eating pizza?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFK_O4CF0U

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

This will be my third time buying the game. I had all S ranks on all difficulties on the 360 (except mission 18 on DMD). Then the PC version came and I spent most of my time playing bloody palace and LDK mode.

I wonder if they will track stage ranks by character since for the first batch of missions you can play as Nero, Lady and Vergil.

Shindragon posted:

Except the dice. Don't miss that. :v:

I hope the new characters know how to "deal" with dice.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Dante Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhTDTFRmJc

In the very beginning they are talking about how you can select an alternate costume and then activate a character's super mode.

Later at ~4:50 they mention that Lady and Trish won't have super versions?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

AccountingNightmare posted:

"Defeat Dante in the Bloody Palace without taking any damage." :gonk: I sure hope someone makes a new SpoilerAL trainer for this game. A 3-hour playing session for one attempt at this is crazy.

The run will be ruined the moment Dante switches to either the shotgun or royal guard.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante da demon killa

Not in a million copies.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

DiseasedTempest posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the min specs for this game say you need at least Windows 7, which I don't have. Does this mean that the game just flat-out won't work on anything else, or could you still possibly run it on an older OS? I meet or exceed the specs on everything else, if that matters.

The game specs say that it requires DirectX10, which works on Vista and up, so you might be okay. Also, according to the game, you won't need more than 2GB of memory so you can also get away with a 32bit OS.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

I took about 30 minutes playing the second mission because I couldn't understand where to go, sometimes I wish only the encounters were timed.

Also, a question: do the "Orbs collected (x%)" refers to the orbs you gain from benches, trash cans etc., or is it the overall numbers of orbs gained while on this run through the level and you have to get to a threshold of some kind. Someone in the PS4 thread confirmed the latter, but I'm afraid I didn't word my question clearly, so just seeking confirmation. If it's the former, then that's a bummer.

Yeah, the former.

Orb % is from orbs that you collect inside containers, found sitting in the level, from red crystals, or from hidden spots.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

So I don't have to smash every container, but can destroy what's in the way and make up the difference with the orb from the enemies? Or is is only possibly to get an SSS ranking by meticulously clearing out the stages of benches and the like?

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I don't quite get that, sorry!

You can still get S ranks with only an A rank for orbs(~70%) provided you have both S ranks for time and style.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

notZaar posted:

Right but the question was about SSS ranking.
I would say that if you are really worried about those ranks, then you're probably the type of person who doesn't mind mindless tasks like smashing barrels for red orbs.

I don't think there is a SSS ranking. Both the results screen and overall screens only show a single S.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Vergil can do the dice trick like Nero can. Just hit it with Upper Slash and whatever number was on top will be the number for the roll.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I thought everyone was joking about Devil May Cry having an anime. Turns out it totally does and in finding this out I also found that Bayonetta has one too.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

AccountingNightmare posted:

I just double-checked and Vergil was definitely doing Air Trick (teleport to enemy) instead of Trick Up (teleport directly up) with no buttons held. My lock-on button isn't stuck or anything. As soon as the Summoned Sword expired, he went back to doing Trick Up.

Even the regular shoot button summoned swords will mark a target and change Trick Up to Air Trick.

EDIT: Also, Vergil is now my title screen voice. Neat.

EDIT EDIT: Trish's S rank taunt blows a kiss that does damage. Amazing.

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

notZaar posted:

I know that showing off and sheathing his sword slowly is Vergil's thing, but how do I play him so he stops eating scarecrow blades while he's locked into his cool dude pose? I hate how lovely his dodge is.

For the recovery animations that you can't jump/dodge out of, you can usually teleport to get out of them. Alternatively, you can do summoned sword inputs while recovering.

• Locked thread