Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Heads up for the three of us who don't have them: Arturia's V Collection is half off for the next month on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sadly all of Slate's require you to buy an iLok so to hell with them.

Speaking of 80s stuff, theres a new Casio CZ soft synth out. Bought it when it was released and really liking it so far apart from some really screwy preset management. There's some good sport for it on KVR for it as well with links or original documentation and some extra patches, including the factory originals and the optional ROM carts.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Something about paying $54.95 for the pleasure of having some bullshit DRM doesn't sit right with me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What is it about KVR and insufferable arrogant dickheads?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They seem obsessed with bumping 6-year-old threads as well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

0dB posted:

GearSlutz

... And the fact that this is the name of one of the most popular synth boards is just... Jesus Christ :ughh:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I picked up Synth Squad and Reaktor this weekend. That should keep me busy for the next decade, I hope.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia decided to miss the Black Friday boat entirely by releasing V collection 4 today. New this round is the Vox Continental from earlier and new Solina and Matrix-12 emulations, Spark is updated to 2.0, and a supposedly less retarded activation scheme.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I got the $99 offer after buying V3 for 50% off in August.

I love the Solina, but a bug in the convolution reverb spikes the CPU when latency is below say 128 on my machine. Take that off and slap on ValhalaVintageVerb though and everything is as it should be.

With the Spark upgrade (that looks like it actually has a drum synth buried in there somewhere instead of strictly a sampler) I basically got four new VSTs for $25 each. Not a bad haul.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So far KVR has blamed everything from EU tax laws to a buyout by u-he to the programmer maybe dying to socialized healthcare to terrorism. Good times.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't know poo poo about Audition but to be fair Auria on iOS doesn't support MIDI either. They've been talking about doing so for years and supposedly have something for NAMM but who the hell knows.

I've been nerding the gently caress out with Hive, writing a script which I hope will batch convert TAL U-NO-LX patches. Fun times, learning a fuckload about synths in the process.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Anae posted:

This is interesting - aren't they quite different synths? What was the idea behind the project?

Hive's claim to fame is as a cpu-friendly optimized supersaw synth like what I'm told Sylenth is (tho I don't have it). However at its core are two oscillators w/ separate suboscs, two multimode filters and a modulation matrix. Turns out the Juno 6's topology fits neatly inside this configuration. Still have a good bit of work to do but so far the filters, envelopes and key tracking are good to go. Arpeggiator is gonna be a pain tho but I think Hive's built in one can pull it off.

Beyond this I should be able to use its mod matrix to morph between TAL patches, or even map separate components to the mod wheel/aftertouch/LFO/whatever. Fun times.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
KVR is always mad. At everything. That's their job. Last month someone casually posted that their kid was at the doctor and within an hour an army of anti-vaxxers swooped down to spread their gospel. I'm sure the next year of One-Synth Contests will be PC only again.

Still it does feel like the buyout was done in the most consumer-unfriendly way possible (and I say this as an Apple fanboy who has no Camel products) but welp, money is money.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Cthulhu has a MIDI FX version now so it's less of an issue in X than it was previously.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
gently caress iLok.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The concept of paying fifty bucks on top of a $200 VST for the privilege of installing their DRM on my machine, all because I didn't pirate it... yeah gently caress iLok.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And so am I.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm running into that with Chipspeech -- really gotta tinker with the notes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I like my Impulse but every time I try using the after touch I feel like I'm gonna break my fingers. I don't have a lot of experience with other AT controllers -- are most keyboards that stiff?

At any rate, I rebound after touch to my expression pedal and that seems to work a lot better.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe six months or so. They did a sale last August for K9 and I think K10 came out maybe a month later.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I spent like two weeks writing a Python script to convert all the TAL-U-NO-LX patches to Hive... then never bought Hive :( The hardware bug bit me hard. Learned a shitload about how synths work in the process though, and the 500 or so converted patches are on u-he's site, if they weren't bundled into the release.

Fun synth tho. Surprised they never filled the third honeycomb slot -- was hoping they'd implement some sort of patch morphing or something.

I did like Hive though, and I might pick it up again if I feel like working in the box more later. I'll probably sell Zebra once my nine months are up though -- never could bother to really learn it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just want Monark dammit, make that half off again already.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't really want zillions of gigs of samples tho.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
All the u-he VSTs as well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Reaktor 6 is out restart Steam

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man, I really want to get in to making Blocks but it means I'll have to learn (a) Primary, (b) Core, (c) Blocks Framework and probably (d) DSP.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Study group this weekend in the library then? Can't do Saturday afternoon tho -- manager at Dairy Queen said I have to come in.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
New, from your friends at pusturbo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I like to think the drum pads were supposed to be textured but were dithered with four colors.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As documented by that episode of The Flintstones where Fred buys a bowling ball "as an anniversary gift for Wilma."

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

Isn't the M1 and D50 sample-based

Eh, sorta. They use very short samples combined with early virtual analog. The D50 at least also has patches that don't use samples at all, apart from what I guess are probably saw/square wave samples.

At any rate tho, gently caress iLok.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia just dropped an upgrade to their collection. Synclavier is the main attraction, but there's also a Hammond B-3, Rhodes and physically modeled piano, as well as interface updates across the board so Modular doesn't look like so much poo poo anymore.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Slat Digital products not only use iLok, they still require the dongle, with no software option. Don't pay $40 for the privilege of having third-party DRM.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

you fucker why did you have to tell me that

iLok tho.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So then wait 36 hours for them to go on sale again :shrug:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dammit you guys are making want to buy Serum. I've been looking for something that can do weirdass pads for my Berlin School-type stuff and this may be it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

"Weirdass" is one thing that Serum really excels at :v:

My top list of features in Serum right now:

Needless to say, if you want weird sounds you've got options.

You can even make some oldschool rompler sounds with it! Here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/serumsampling
I took a short "ooh" sample, resampled it to a wavetable and then added the same sample into the noise oscillator. Noise osc provides the transient, wavetable provides the looping part :v:

I bought it after watching all them Steve Duda vids and within an hour brought in a sample of my 0-Coast doing weird wavefolding stuff, and turned it into a nice thin pad. Good times.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Spoke Lee posted:

Thought I'd give you guys a heads up that https://www.xlnaudio.com/ is having a 50% of sale until the 4th.

Their Retro Color thing is grand and wound up in a couple tracks on my album.

Speaking of which, I forgot to plug my album.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Welp, Aurturia just dropped V6 of their collection. Upgraded piano, DX7, Fairlight CMI, clavinet and the Buchla Music Easel.

Unfortunately my upgrade price from V5 is apparently $200 so I can't really justify it right now. Hopefully there will be a sale at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
God loving dammit, Arturia

Only registered members can see post attachments!