Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

All images should be properly hidden on load now, and should have a fixed width after tapping [tap to show image]. Attachments, too!

Thanks for the input. If by space efficiency you mean having as many clearly defined threads as possible displayed on the screen, then you're right. However, I'm trying to strike a balance between good utility and also being visually pleasing.

I think the point of Metro is to be able to discern individual items without the need for any bars or separators (unless when it makes logical sense like a calendar or graph). The spacing, font size, and font weight should be enough to tell the threads apart. Not sure if it's worth tightening up the spacing and adding gridlines just so I can squeeze two more threads into the view.

I agree with your view on Metro theming, and adding gridlines would completely violate that. One of the things that makes Metro work, though, is that you can set things up so that the most common things you want to do are easiest to reach. The bookmarks page helps that a lot (I rarely go looking for new threads on the phone), but it would also be nice to have a list of "favorite forums" that let us go to the places we go fast. Think of it as the home screen to your alphabetical forum listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

Check it:

How's that?

Exactly what I was picturing. Awesome, and fast.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
And I missed the part where you've re-opened a beta for testing. I'd love in if you're still giving out invites: edit: removed

kapinga fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 19, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Can I get in on the beta as well? [Thanks]. I guess I removed my email a bit too quickly from my previous post.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 26, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

For quotes? That's a cool idea, I'll make a mockup and see what everyone else thinks.
Awesome, new beta!

Nested quotes are semi-rare on SA, but how are you picturing handling them here?

Edit: I think there's also a limit to the number of nested quotes:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[quote]
[quote]
[quote]
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

kapinga fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Seems I missed out on the new beta, it says its not available on my phone: [removed]

Edit: VVVV Should have known that was the real source.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 2, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

Load faster!

This is a tough one to solve. In order to style the page as it is now, I have to literally reconstruct the html I get from SA along with adding a custom css. Unfortunately, that takes a noticible amount of time on a phone (it's pretty instantaneous on a pc with a modern cpu).

I'll be playing with ways to get a Metro feel without having to rebuild the page.

Thanks for the input!

I think a huge improvement would just be to store previously viewed pages (especially thread listings) without having to reparse the page. Specifically, if there are a bunch of threads I'm going through on my bookmarked list, it gets frustrating to have to watch that spinning arrow just to go back to the page I was looking at 10 seconds earlier. Is it possible to keep a cached copy of thread listings after processing for faster rendering? Or even store the page data in a data structure that can be quickly rendered?

I know I generally expect new content to be slow to render, since new data has to be downloaded.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

The login takes longer than usual since it has to navigate to the site, add your login info to the web form, then submit. The trade off is that you only need to do it once (cookie is saved).

If the app is asking you to login every time you start it up, then it's a database issue; reinstall the app and let me know what happens.

As far as posters' names not showing up, I can't reproduce that, yet. Looking into it.

I can confirm I also observe all of these issues. The app also posts an error message when it's first started almost every time - I just had it send an email about it. Hitting cancel allows the app to log in, but it has to go through the complete login process.

Reinstalling seems to have fixed all of these issues.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
The Marketplace finally let me install the beta version this morning. I also can't get out of the browser window; I log in and then it pushes me on to the forums. Trying to log in again brings me back to the login page, but notably I'm not signed out of the forums.

I'm on AT&T but this was done over my home Wifi. I have IE set not to remember browsing history, if that matters, but the cookie is obviously saved.

Ironically, I've had no login issues with the release version, so I'm sticking with that for the moment. I'll check the dev version every once in a while to see if it fixes itself.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Woot, it works for me too. Oddly, it actually worked for me yesterday, before the update hit. I have no idea what allowed that to happen, I hadn't used it in months...

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Its pretty clearly doing a very simple regex for disallowed words, even if they are substrings within larger words. So assassin has rear end twice.

Itd be nice to have a more complex filter, but hey, ot passed validation!

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Maneki Neko posted:

Strangely, once I turned on debug mode this went away for me.

How'd you enable debug mode without logging in?

The previous release is still working for me, but I haven't logged out of it recently. The beta reports a login failure.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sven stuff like documents gets hashed out. Thank God Microsoft is protecting the children from our documental profanity.

I'm curious who came up with the filter list, bootleg robot or some MS employee writing down a list of stuff he didn't want to see, just some Tourette's-suffering keyboarder, writing down whatever came out of his mouth...

This is something Bootleg Robot hacked together in minimal time to pass MS's content filter. MS isn't writing code for an app like this. It's a crappy filter because it's intended to be turned off. Why it has to be present at all? Bureaucracy.

That said, having it use the forums censor would be quite fun. I don't know if anyone actually wants to spend the time to write it though.

Bootleg Robot: Have you communicated at all with the goons in the [url="http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514014&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3"Win8 App thread[/url] that are all working on their own SA app? I haven't seen you post in there.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Cutedge posted:

So starting yesterday (or maybe the day before, I can't recall), when I try to go to a forum it gives me a ":( Could not load the requested page. Hit refresh and try again." It seems to do this for all forums. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

App is great other than that. I do appreciate it!

I had that Friday, but thought it might have been due to poor signal over Wifi. Trying it just now, I was able to load up a thread from bookmarks just fine.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Could you make the edge light up/bounce when there's a touch event near to it, or an apparent swipe motion? Making it glow on every pageload would be cool for the first few times, but get old and redundant real fast.

Edit: Also, thanks for making that gesture location sensitive. I don't know how many times I ended up flipping forward/back a page in the previous versions just trying to scroll up - I ended up turning off gestures because of it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
I'm really enjoying the new beta, it's been good to watch this app get better with every release.

One thought I have is that there's not enough visual curs that the bookmarked thread list is old when restarting the app. I get the desire to control data usage, but would it be possible to either (a) have a setting to auto refresh bookmarked threads when the app fist loads, or (b) display the amount of time since the last refresh at the top of the bookmark list. I can mock up my ideas a little later if you'd like.

Second thought: can you also dim the thread icon when the thread is read. I know the text is dimmed, but the icon is so visually dominant that it's hard to spot that threads have been read when quickly scanning the bookmarks list. I find myself unintentionally reloading threads with some frequency because of that.

That said, the work you've done on this has been fantastic, especially handling the recent forums changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Hey Bootleg Robot, would it be possible to work on that bug regarding the OP's name being displayed as "SAPoster" or something? This isn't exactly high priority, but I do like having the OP highlighted on the regular forums and don't want to turn that off.

I don't need anything displayed in the Awful! app, but it'd be nice if you actually showed up with a name when I browse this thread on my phone :)

I know you know about this bug, and I don't know how hard it would be to fix or if there's something more urgent (almost anything, really) that you're working on. Thanks!

• Locked thread