Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat
The one quote from NZF that really got to me was this from Colin King "What my wife and I have enjoyed over 42 years, I don't think anybody else of the same sex could enjoy" (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10823697).

What a miserable position to take. What sort of horrible person do you have to be to think that this is ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Lemonus posted:

Colin King is a National MP FYI.

David Clark North D is confirmed yes so Im going to spend my time from now lobbying Michael Woodhouse.

My bad.

gently caress that guy anyway.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Armourking posted:

Apparently the vote on marriage was a "failure of democracy" according to Colin Craig.
Which is weird, considering it was a vote, and that it pretty much went close to public polls on it.

Colin Craig is such a loving tool.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Xik posted:

Is this in the format [Group][Voted For]-[Voted Against]?

So there was a "Gay MP" that voted against the bill? Do you know who that is and why they voted that way?

Chris Finlayson is a gay catholic.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Vagabundo posted:

Speaking of Maori and racist terms, Hone will probably be in a bit of hot water after calling the Maori Party "John Key's little house niggers."

Are you sure about that? He seems to get away with all the other poo poo he pulls.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

ClubmanGT posted:

Problematic is the understatement of the century. This is a good old fashioned INCIS style gently caress-up. Apparently it can't handle part-time workers who aren't paid during non-teaching breaks. Kind of important in the loving education sector.

There are so many things wrong with this system it's not funny. My partner is getting paid for maternity leave, because as it turns out 2 people in the same school with the same last name is problematic. Not to mention that it looks like none of their Kiwisaver payments have gone in since August. They've been taken out of the pays, but have just vanished. Nice work.

edit: It gets better, we found out today she's either not getting paid this week or she's getting paid too much. If we tell them she's going to get paid too much they'll cancel it altogether, if we don't tell them we're just going to have to pay it back at some point. This system is completely hosed.

Smithersnz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 11, 2012

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Felix_Cat posted:

It's time to fix the economy! We need to cut all benefits, institute a flat tax, and ship our prisoners overseas (to China, who would be thrilled to take them).

Oh Stuff Nation :allears:

You missed the best one, cut the minimum wage to $8 but give the dole to hardworking business owners.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat
18 months to 2 years to fix Novopay:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10863674

At my partners school every teacher was underpaid this week, since Novopay thought they started later than they did, and apparently that means they get paid less. Awesome.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh, they're starting to use debt collectors to collect from overpaid teachers?

gently caress. You.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Miguel Angel Face posted:

If teachers refuse to pay back the overpayments, then I see no problem with using debt collectors to get back the overpaid money.

The problem is that a teacher can be overpaid one month, and underpaid the next (like my partner). Why should they have to put up with that poo poo? If novopay can't be trusted to get the initial payment right, why should they be trusted to claim the money back?

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Miguel Angel Face posted:

Yes - I do think that ousting such people will result in an improvement when they're replaced by people who are more committed and capable.

That's the basis of effective management. In any organisation - not just in schools.

Where are these better teachers coming from? Are they the first years who can't get jobs, or the teachers already in a school where they are comfortable, and aren't going to be paid more to shift to a new school to look after a lovely class of pupils?

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat
Hey look, Colin Craig is being a tool, must be a Wednesday:

But it's ok, because he got "hacked".

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

swampland posted:

How's everyone voting in the local elections? I'm finding it hard to find actual policies on the candidate's pages, most of them seem to believe in a "better, brighter future for Wellington" with only the smallest hints of what they plan to actually do. I did learn that Nicola Young is campaigning on compulsory address numbers for buildings though. I guess she gets lost a lot.

I love seeing the crazies come out at election time:

"Jesse Butler" posted:

Jesse Butler. Aucklander. 45. South Auckland raised.
Husband. Parent. Grandfather. Masters Degree.
Unemployed. All Blacks supporter. Your new Auckland
Mayor. My first six weeks:
Week 1. Open financial books. Media watching. Money/assets secured.
Lower rates. Faster services. Executive transparency. Corruption/corrupted
gone. Staff pay-rise. Non-sexist/abusive/racist workplace. Increase staff.
Promotions.
Week 2. Visit South Korea. Taiwan. Japan. Talk multi-millions. Civil
defence. Build infrastructure. Full employment. Auckland living wage?
$22 an hour?
Week 3. Public hui. Veto Unitary Plan. Your house rules. Priorities. Mokos.
Babies. Children. Mothers. Elderly. Sick. Veterans. Retired. Disabled. New
Aucklanders.
Week 4. Gang hui. Truce. Cease violence/crime. Priority. Tourism. Public
safety. Rewards? Economic packages. Early releases.
Week 5. Develop land. Crops. Feed Auckland's schools/hospitals. Space.
Exercising Auckland dogs.
Week 6. Visit South Africa. Talk multi-millions. Business. Rugby. Netball.
2015? Australasian Super-City. Prosperous. Healthy. Shining. Pumping.
First class. NZ's new capital?
Our home. Our city. Our legacy.
Kia Kaha Auckland!

I also base a whole lot on whether they can write a profile without spelling mistakes, too many exclamation marks and going from third person to first person in the space of a sentence.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Xik posted:

I had fun reading through all the profiles. If you can't be bothered doing that, you're pretty safe if you just go through and only vote for woman.

Oh man, that's just not true:

"Tricia Cheel" posted:

A vibrant community is built upon a population brimming with health & vitality and all true progress follows that. As co-ordinator for Friends of Sherwood since 1990 I have worked hard to make my neighbourhood a beautiful & healthy place in which to live. The rest of Auckland could enjoy the same benefits of being "As Free As Possible" of toxic chemicals, waste and other pollution by adopting our proven organic methods throughout the whole region.
After feeling only half alive for many years my health dramatically improved when I simply stopped drinking fluoridated water in 2012. This constant exposure to toxic chemicals undermines the health & wellbeing of the whole population.
We must get pesticides off the streets, parks, roads & beaches and stop dumping highly toxic hydrofluosilicic acid into our water supply. Then Auckland can blossom

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat
And Len Brown confirms:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11140517

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

truther posted:

Also, can someone confirm that the Waitakere elecorate is now official Kelston? I understand Bennett's seat has moved to Kelston but don't really understand how Waitakere can be altogether dumped.

From what I gather Massey and everything north has been lumped in with Glenfield, and that's the electorate Bennett is standing in. I'm not sure how much Glenfield/Greenhithe has in common with Massey, but them's the breaks.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat
Young Nats delivers again...kinda

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat
I just don't understand how making teachers working conditions worse will increase achievement. If you're trying to get better people in there, maybe you should pay more. Who's going to say "sweet, zero job security and lovely pay, long hours and dealing with stupid kids and rear end in a top hat parents, sounds like the job for me!"

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

fong posted:

National's coalition hasn't stopped them from making all the changes they wanted in education. They got charter schools, national standards, the 6-week teacher training course, and now this new executive principals thing. The only thing that's been holding them back are the unions, otherwise we'd probably have full-on performance pay based on student progress in the standards.

I'd expect whatever changes National want to make in education in this term to come to a head towards the end of next year when various collective agreements come up for negotiation. Probably their first step will be to try and bring the principals back into the State Sector Act, meaning they can't voice political opinions publicly.

I was sitting around a table full of teachers who were all quite chuffed that National got back in, and the very next thing they were talking about was how bad performance pay would be. I just can't comprehend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

Soiled Meat

Binkenstein posted:

No internet at my new flat because Chorus can't hook me up until the 14th (I spoke to Snap about moving before New Years). Slow fuckers.

My UFB should be hooked up today, I organised it on the 22nd of December, so that's fairly quick. My work fibre is still not hooked up though, and I booked that in July 2014. Good times.

• Locked thread