Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Was Hallucigenia the one where that wife and her husband find a dead horse in a barn / cult shrine?

I've got a mixed reaction to that. The imagery was pretty intense, but it's shot through with this weird vibe of Jews(iirc)-scientists-sorcerers being the same terrible thing. A good amount of the stories in Imago have these weird concept mixing problem. I get the feeling Barron has a somewhat poor grasp of science. I suppose I can see where he's coming from, but I don't feel like he pulls it off well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Helical Nightmares posted:

Totally agree with you. I think Hallucigenia and Parallax are weakened by this style but he somehow nails it in The Imago Sequence and Bulldozer. I think in the latter two stories, each ‘dream-like psychosis’ state is short enough to and the details in the visions are relevant to the narrative; while in say the Procession of the Black Sloth you have way too many weird visions that are not all connected in the narrative. For example, the initial vision/freak out when the main character is in the airplane bathroom and sees what he thinks is a large monstrous bulk underwater isn’t really linked to what we find out his situation is.

It feels like you could edit out several of them and still have the same essential story in Procession of the Black Sloth

See, I disagree with that on both Parallax and Black Sloth. Parallax I think was different enough from the other stories that it worked pretty well. I suppose I just imagined the way he felt to be similar to insomnia, like the emotional equivalent of not sleeping for days in a row. I don't think that "slow spiral into madness" applies because he started out that way.

Editing out parts of B.S. would lessen it imo, because part of the point of him being in hell is because he doesn't know he's there. Yet all these little visions and stuff are trying to jog him into realizing the truth. Only once he realizes can he move on and be ushered into the movie theater, and in time make his way back out. So it would be essentially the same, but it looses a little bit of the journey aspect. You have to understand before you can atone, etc.

"Having a psychic break" is a good technique for Imago because, like you said, it's a really short breakdown and actually applies to the plot. I still think Imago would have been better if it wasn't so ... well,

*gets high as gently caress* *listens to extreme drone metal*
":black101: Holy poo poo look at these picture its like activating your DNA man :350:"
"People are pretty much bugs on the cosmic scale man"
"Sex and human 'love' is pretty much the same as aphids mating but like forever. Let's debauch this cathedral."
"Total dark instar cosmic entomology"
"Existence is like this grim fractal" *Woah 4D imago sequence*
fin

I dunno, is it dumb for me to harp on the weird pseudoscientific tie ins? I don't want to sound like I didn't like it, because I really enjoyed Imago (and that whole collection), but I guess I could live with it being more mysterious. I suppose it's easier for me to accept that people could have their lives or whatever affected by some mysterious force.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Here is a small weird tale I found, in comic form

Powerful stuff. I feel like there's probably a shitload of comics that are that kinda weird, probably should hit up the batman forum