Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Well, I've just published a new cosmic horror novel. Took me two and a half bloody years to research and write, so I've basically got no objectivity left - and reviews aren't in yet - but early feedback has been gratifyingly positive. If anyone fancies an excursion to a remote Siberian plateau where a covert FSB medical experiment might be about to go horribly wrong, I've sorted a goon discount: 50% off with code BZ24P at Smashwords. :ssh: It's also on Amazon and should be percolating through to other channels soon. Available in paperback as well, for them as prefer.

Ornamented Death posted:

Nick Mamatas is pretty solid; Move Under Ground gets brought up here every once in a while, it's a mix of Jack Kerouac and Lovecraft.

Anyone read his new one? Apparently it was a bit of an extended dig at HPL fandom (long, long overdue, if so) and got a few people's backs up. Sounded promising though. However, my favourite of his will probably always be 'Inky, Blinky, Pinky, Nyarlathotep.' Great little story, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

That's not the one. I've read Nickronomicon, and I'd agree with a lot of those criticisms (it's a mixed bag, put it that way, but I'd say I enjoyed it overall.) His latest though is a novel, called I Am Providence. It's set, or at least starts, at a Lovecraft convention.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

RentACop posted:

If you have Kindle Unlimited, it's contained within A Mountain Walked, which is free. (The dolphins name is Flip)

It's in Chaosium's 'Innsmouth Cycle' collection as well. I remember reading it and having the same reaction as you. Here's what RMP had to say about it though:

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Drunken Baker posted:

Would the original Hellbound Heart be considered a weird tale?(I think it's officially considered gothic?) Dealing with alternate planes of reality, similar enough to be recognisable, but only in an awful, awful way.

I really think it could be if it was told differently, but (from memory--and it's donkeys' years since I read it) the emphasis in the writing is not really on 'the weird'. It aims more for suspense than any kind of existential unease, and doesn't really linger on quite how far-out the core concept actually is. That's how I remember it, at least.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Drunken Baker posted:

It's going for three quid on Amazon.co.uk. Never used a kindle before in my life though. I might gently caress my eyes up and get it on my phone.

edit: Speaking of kindle, here's a few more codes for my book if anyone fancies it. These are for dollars, but if you're a Brit and want one let me know and I'll get one sent out.

http://bit.ly/2jVJjXK

DH83-6VUK89-6YGK
TPU5-G57FUJ-EGSV
RY5X-LE9K45-9CEP

Just picked up a copy (didn't use a code - am in the UK) and will read it once I've finished this book on the KLF. Off-topic, but I'd love to know where you got those codes? I didn't know Amazon allowed us to generate freebie coupons; I always end up using Smashwords for that, which isn't really ideal. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 4, 2017

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Drunken Baker posted:

Cheers mate!

They're not technically codes for the book, they're just the exact amount it costs, bought for myself but then I don't use them and pinch the code. So we're kinda working on an honour system here. Haha. Yeah, really sucks that Amazon doesn't have something similar to steam keys.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Clever workaround though! Will bear that one in mind.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Ornamented Death posted:

Hmm...

I am weak :smith:

I dithered with my hand over the button for several minutes, but I don't think I can justify yet another HPL collection; not after dropping several hundred on the Girasol facsimile WT editions a couple of years ago. I would like to read that intro by Moore though.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
CDW is great, and the writing is some of HPL's best, imho. I can't stand the Dreamlands stuff though!

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

MockingQuantum posted:

Man, I want to try Slowly We Rot, because I've never read a zombie novel I've actually enjoyed .

I'm tempted to add it to my reading list just because I used to love the Obituary song of the same name. :)

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Jedit posted:

You could be out of luck there, that's traditionally Richard Laymon country. The Rats by James Herbert might float your boat, though. No slasher killer, just the titular rodents, but it hits the same "nobody's died for 10 pages, have a set piece" beats.

I always recommend reading that trilogy in reverse order, starting with Domain, because Domain is by far the best of them and I think reading the other two first probably dilutes its impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Yeah, I rather like the attempt to tie disparate strands of the Mythos into a unified whole. Usually that doesn't pan out well, but they manage to make it more-or-less work. (Though I haven't listened to s3 yet. I'll save that for a long car journey.)

e; not being interrupted by adverts for socks and mattresses is a bonus, too.