Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's going for three quid on Amazon.co.uk. Never used a kindle before in my life though. I might gently caress my eyes up and get it on my phone.

edit: Speaking of kindle, here's a few more codes for my book if anyone fancies it. These are for dollars, but if you're a Brit and want one let me know and I'll get one sent out.

http://bit.ly/2jVJjXK

DH83-6VUK89-6YGK
TPU5-G57FUJ-EGSV
RY5X-LE9K45-9CEP

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Drunken Baker posted:

It's going for three quid on Amazon.co.uk. Never used a kindle before in my life though. I might gently caress my eyes up and get it on my phone.

edit: Speaking of kindle, here's a few more codes for my book if anyone fancies it. These are for dollars, but if you're a Brit and want one let me know and I'll get one sent out.

DH83-6VUK89-6YGK
TPU5-G57FUJ-EGSV
RY5X-LE9K45-9CEP

Just picked up a copy (didn't use a code - am in the UK) and will read it once I've finished this book on the KLF. Off-topic, but I'd love to know where you got those codes? I didn't know Amazon allowed us to generate freebie coupons; I always end up using Smashwords for that, which isn't really ideal. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 4, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Cheers mate!

They're not technically codes for the book, they're just the exact amount it costs, bought for myself but then I don't use them and pinch the code. So we're kinda working on an honour system here. Haha. Yeah, really sucks that Amazon doesn't have something similar to steam keys.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Drunken Baker posted:

TPU5-G57FUJ-EGSV

grabbed this, and thanks! This free book better blow my drat mind, etc

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Drunken Baker posted:

Cheers mate!

They're not technically codes for the book, they're just the exact amount it costs, bought for myself but then I don't use them and pinch the code. So we're kinda working on an honour system here. Haha. Yeah, really sucks that Amazon doesn't have something similar to steam keys.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Clever workaround though! Will bear that one in mind.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

RY5X-LE9K45-9CEP

I grabbed this one. Looking forward to it, thanks!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for checking it out!

It's not all entirely "cosmic" but it's not standard horror either, hence the "weird" part of the title.

I'll whip up some more codes for Monday in case anyone fancies it.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So I just re-read "The Fold" by Peter Cline and I'm seriously disappointed with the author. if you have a character with a perfect memory (a great subject for a lovecraftian novel) who unintentionally visualizes memory recall as red ants dragging memories into his mind and black ants as dragging (calculated) ideas into his mind, and you've already set up that a symbol of the Ancient (telepathic) Predatory Gods is green cockroaches, you should absolutely have green cockroaches drag terrible things that the character does not want to see but he can't forget into his mind.

instead you have a bunch of stupid SciFi references. WTF peter Cline.

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 5, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cumslut1895 posted:

So I just re-read "The Fold" by Peter Cline and I'm seriously disappointed with the author. if you have a character with a perfect memory (a great subject for a lovecraftian novel) who unintentionally visualizes memory recall as red ants dragging memories into his mind and black ants as dragging (calculated) ideas into his mind, and you've already set up that a symbol of the Ancient (telepathic) Predatory Gods is green cockroaches, you should absolutely have green cockroaches drag terrible things that the character does not want to see but he can't forget into his mind.

Does that book even qualify as cosmic horror? IIRC I gave up very early on since it seemed to have a bog-standard thriller setup.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Does that book even qualify as cosmic horror? IIRC I gave up very early on since it seemed to have a bog-standard thriller setup.

it's light cosmic horror. 14 by the same author is much better. I just don't understand how you can write two novels in the same universe and fail to catch such an obvious plot thread. he's not competent enough for it to have been deliberate.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cumslut1895 posted:

What a really great premise. Too bad it sounds like it was foiled by the enemy of all good ideas: the author being a dumb gently caress.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cumslut1895 posted:

Does he use the ants for anything? That seems like so much work for no payout.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
To the guy asking about weird-movie books, The Absolution of Roberto Acestes Laing by Nicholas Rombes has plenty of that.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, this thread is pretty long, and I perused the first ten or so pages. I stick mainly to audiobooks these days and went ahead and downloaded A Colder War and That Which Should Not Be.

Are there any inarguable good modern(90s and later?) mythos books, or books that really have that feeling of dread that is created when mortals come into contact with the unknowable? I noticed some of you mentioned Dead Space, which had an even more Mythos inspired ending than I could've anticipated what with necromorphs merely being the spawn of planet size alien entities that consume all sentient life on worlds.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skyscraper posted:

Does he use the ants for anything? That seems like so much work for no payout.

No, his whole memory thing had no effect on the story.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Uroboros posted:

So, this thread is pretty long, and I perused the first ten or so pages. I stick mainly to audiobooks these days and went ahead and downloaded A Colder War and That Which Should Not Be.

Are there any inarguable good modern(90s and later?) mythos books, or books that really have that feeling of dread that is created when mortals come into contact with the unknowable? I noticed some of you mentioned Dead Space, which had an even more Mythos inspired ending than I could've anticipated what with necromorphs merely being the spawn of planet size alien entities that consume all sentient life on worlds.

Langan's The Fisherman fits that description, though someone in this thread hated it.

Barron's The Croning would probably be a less controversial choice.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cumslut1895 posted:

No, his whole memory thing had no effect on the story.

Oh, then he was totally going for that exact thing you mentioned, and forgot halfway through, or someone else finished the book or something. Or someone else wrote that first part and he ran with it and hosed it up. Like, someone thought of that payoff at some point and then it got lost, I don't believe for a minute that anyone would introduce such an obvious set-up without meaning to pay it off at some point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, then he was totally going for that exact thing you mentioned, and forgot halfway through, or someone else finished the book or something. Or someone else wrote that first part and he ran with it and hosed it up. Like, someone thought of that payoff at some point and then it got lost, I don't believe for a minute that anyone would introduce such an obvious set-up without meaning to pay it off at some point.

My hope is there's still plans for it in future books, since the way things end in both 14 and The Fold are definitely set up for things to keep going.

I liked 14 a lot and I had high hopes for The Fold, since it started out as super-science adventure then whoops COSMIC HORROR. But it had missteps like not addressing the roaches or the ants. The roaches are common to both books, and they appear to exhibit, if not agency, some kind of emergent behavior so I'll be super disappointed if he has no plans to address either.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just finished Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodge and loved it. What collection should I get next? It seems like his work is scattered around a bunch of different publishers and anthologies.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Uroboros posted:

Blindsight!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Uroboros posted:

A Colder War

Thanks for reminding me to do my usual yearly read. :allears:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Uroboros posted:

I feel like the Southern Reach trilogy is king of dread and unknowable entities when it comes to recent stuff. At the very least Annihilation is worth a read, and if you love it it's worth getting through the somewhat slowly-paced Authority. Acceptance is a good finish to the trilogy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Should also probably note that That Which Should Not Be isn't very scary or good.
Gonna second Blindsight and Southern Reach, while neither of them markets themselves as outright horror, they are definitely thought-provoking and chilling reads. With the Southern Reach books, the thing is it switches to a different kind of horror for Authority - it's the more existential feeling of everything "ordinary" gradually collapsing about you. A lot of people don't like it or think it's slow, but it's my favorite book in the trilogy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chas McGill posted:

Just finished Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodge and loved it. What collection should I get next? It seems like his work is scattered around a bunch of different publishers and anthologies.

A little late on this, but...

Falling Idols is the closest to Worlds of Hurt from a thematic viewpoint, so that'd be my recommendation.

The Convulsion Factory was Hodge's first collection, and is full of stories written early in his career, when Clive Barker was one of the biggest influences on new horror writers. Hodge is the superior writer, but the stories in this collection cover a lot of the same ground as Barker's work; take from that what you will.

Lies and Ugliness is a great sampler, so to speak, because it doesn't focus on any one particular sort of story. This is also not a bad place to start.

I haven't read Picking the Bones yet, so I can't comment on it.

I'd also recommend grabbing his novella Whom the Gods Would Destory because it's just loving amazing.

anilEhilated posted:

Should also probably note that That Which Should Not Be isn't very scary or good.

It's...alright. The sequel is where it gets bad, reading more like a summary of someone's CoC campaign than a novel. I prefer The Void of all of Talley's books; it's deeply flawed, but touches on a few story elements that really intrigued me.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The Folio Society just released two new versions of The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, including this limited edition. Their stuff is too expensive (take a look at the Letterpress Shakespeare, for example), but I do like their work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The Folio Society just released two new versions of The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, including this limited edition. Their stuff is too expensive (take a look at the Letterpress Shakespeare, for example), but I do like their work.

Hmm...

quote:

ITEMS ORDERED
1 x The Call of Cthulhu & Other Weird Stories @ US$120.00
1 x FREE FOLIO MYSTERY BOOK @ US$0.00
S&H US$10.00
Discount: -US$40.00

I am weak :smith:

Seasonal Candles
Aug 5, 2015

Metaprocesses bloom like cancer, and awaken, and call themselves I
God I wish Peter Watts worked faster

Also, I don't know if it was in this thread or I'm half-remembering something from another but I've been looking for this one short story that's basically hinting at a grander cosmic horror/sublime indifference to human consciousness. All I remember is two people (kids?) In a boat rowing down a river and moving towards some reeds and the narrator is gripped by realizing the chthonic consciousness of all life...or something. If any of you guys know I'd love you forever.

Cumslut1895 posted:

We need to find a way to destroy his consciousness

:unsmigghh:

Seasonal Candles fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2017

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Seasonal Candles posted:

We need to find a way to destroy his consciousness

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ornamented Death posted:

Hmm...

I'm seriously considering ordering that version too ... but the other one is really pretty ... but it's so expensive ... but ...

I ordered a few books from there for my wife for her birthday, and it was a huge pain in the balls. My bank declined the payment because it was overseas; and then I tried it via phone call to London and it didn't work; and then I called the bank for pre-approval and I was on hold with them for half an hour to get it approved but it STILL didn't work; and then I was transferred to a higher manager so I had to order it again and have them PUSH it through ... that finally worked.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Seasonal Candles posted:

Also, I don't know if it was in this thread or I'm half-remembering something from another but I've been looking for this one short story that's basically hinting at a grander cosmic horror/sublime indifference to human consciousness. All I remember is two people (kids?) In a boat rowing down a river and moving towards some reeds and the narrator is gripped by realizing the chthonic consciousness of all life...or something. If any of you guys know I'd love you forever.

That sounds very similar to The Willows

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Ornamented Death posted:

Hmm...

I dithered with my hand over the button for several minutes, but I don't think I can justify yet another HPL collection; not after dropping several hundred on the Girasol facsimile WT editions a couple of years ago. I would like to read that intro by Moore though.

Seasonal Candles
Aug 5, 2015

Metaprocesses bloom like cancer, and awaken, and call themselves I

RentACop posted:

That sounds very similar to The Willows

That's exactly it. Thank you

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of The Willows: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beehivebooks/illustrated-classics-by-pope-shimizu-and-sienkiewi/description

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sienkiewicz doing Dr Moreau sounds dooooope

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some of you may be interested in this.

Kickstarter LIVE HERE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1721105501/the-yellow-king-roleplaying-game-from-robin-d-laws?ref=nav_search

http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/announcing-the-yellow-king-rpg/

quote:

Written and designed by GUMSHOE master Robin D. Laws, YKRPG takes you on a brain-bending spiral through multiple selves and timelines.

Inspired by Robert W. Chambers’ influential cycle of short stories, it pits the characters against the reality-altering horror of The King in Yellow. This suppressed play, once read, invites madness or a visit from its titular character, an alien ruler intent on invading and remolding our world into a colony of their planet, Carcosa.

Four books, served up together in a beautiful slipcase, confront your players with an epic journey into reality horror:

Belle Epoque Paris, where a printed version of the dread play is first published. Players portray American art students in its absinthe-soaked world, navigating the Parisian demimonde and investigating mysteries involving gargoyles, vampires, and decadent alien royalty.

The Wars, an alternate reality in which the players take on the role of soldiers bogged down in the great European conflict of 1947. While trying to stay alive on an eerie, shifting battlefield, they investigate supernatural mysteries generated by the occult machinations of the Yellow King and his rebellious daughters.

Aftermath, set later in the same reality, in 2017 North America. A bloody insurrection has toppled a dictatorial regime loyal to Carcosa. Players become former partisans adjusting to ordinary life, trying to build a just society from the ashes of civil war. But not all of the monsters have been thoroughly banished—and like it or not, they’re the ones with the skills to hunt them and finish them off.

This is Normal Now. In the 2017 we know, albeit one subtly permeated by supernatural beings and maddening reality shifts, ordinary people band together, slowly realizing that they are the key to ending a menace spanning eras and realities.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Seeing that post reminded me: According to the Delta Green Facebook there is going to be soon a Kickstarter for The King in Yellow illustrated and annotated. The art they have posted looks gorgeous.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There was some talk about The Lost Citadel anthology (with a Brian Hodge story) back in January, it wasn't available to non-backers at the time. The RPG is now on kickstarter and is funded with 10 days to go. Looks like its $25 for a print version of the RPG and the anthology, $57 for both in pdf with extras. It doesn't say if you get the fiction early since it is done already but there are a couple of short stories from the setting linked under the FAQ.

The kickstarter says it is the first opportunity to get the anthology, and that it will be coming later as part of Green Ronin's new fiction imprint Nisaba.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That cover art though :lol:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

bagrada posted:

There was some talk about The Lost Citadel anthology (with a Brian Hodge story) back in January, it wasn't available to non-backers at the time. The RPG is now on kickstarter and is funded with 10 days to go. Looks like its $25 for a print version of the RPG and the anthology, $57 for both in pdf with extras. It doesn't say if you get the fiction early since it is done already but there are a couple of short stories from the setting linked under the FAQ.

The kickstarter says it is the first opportunity to get the anthology, and that it will be coming later as part of Green Ronin's new fiction imprint Nisaba.

This is a good anthology. You basically have a lot of horror authors writing fantasy and they are not (or not as) familiar with the tropes so the stories take some interesting turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Worlds of Hurt is only $1.99 on Amazon, used to be $3.99

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2017