Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

These would be great cereals. Emperor Boo-Berry!

EDIT: Not sure about Count Dooku flavor. :smith:

Do you mean General Grievous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

Who photoshopped Gwyneth Paltrow's giant head onto Jessica Chastain's tiny body?

Huh, I was thinking Cate Blanchett, but yeah, her face looks weird in this poster.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd buy a Doof Warrior / Wagon poster.

Don't google for them. You will end up sad and disappointed at the :mediocre: efforts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Motherfucker, I can't believe it took me this long to get the Godzilla joke.

I actually really liked Godzilla.

Yeah, but killing Cranston was a HUGE mistake.

He was just on a podcast I listened to, and he actually mentions he raised that very point when he saw his character was dead by page 50. His argument was they spent the start of the movie building an emotional center around this character and then they yank him offstage with a huge cane leaving the audience without anyone to identify with for the rest of the movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Party Boat posted:

What kind of monster doesn't identify with Godzilla?!

Definitely no one watching the last Godzilla movie. It wasn't on screen long enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

When I first heard of this, I thought it might be another Amazon Women on the Moon. Alas it was stupid, unlike AWotM which was stupid-funny.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Madkal posted:

Cough cough "John Carter of Mars" cough cough "Lone Ranger" Cough cough.

I'm still pissed about the marketing poo poo show around John Carter of Mars.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Bruce Lee not included.

Shaw Brothers' movies are great fun.

Source: El Rey. The best cable channel ever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ThatPazuzu posted:

I love Deus Ex but the Rockwell art throws me off. The games don't really have a 1950's aesthetic.

I think they're trying to evoke a 1950's "McCarthy/Red Menace" vibe with these.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Erebus posted:

It's odd, because at E3 and elsewhere they've said they're going for an apartheid theme, which isn't really the same thing. Maybe they thought red scare imagery just connected more with American audiences, or maybe they didn't want their marketing to get confused with a Neill Blomkamp movie.

It may come down to more of a "know your audience" aspect. Americans are not very familiar with apartheid propaganda and these are very evocative of the Red Menace. Perhaps a similar treatment in South Africa would have more of an apartheid feel to them.

Maybe if they had gone the route of the Japanese internment camps during WWII, but I don't know if there was anything other than the "caricature of the enemy" type of propaganda then. There wasn't a "turn in your neighbor and report them" vibe in those (or maybe there was, I just haven't seen any posters like that).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Free Drinks posted:

I remember this as box art from one of the video stores my family went to when I was a little kid. It legitimately terrified me, full on nightmare-fuel. I remember I was actually scared to walk down the horror aisles because some of the covers scared the poo poo out of me.

Like this mother fucker right here.

Ugh, who would have thought a TV movie would have given me so many nightmares.

I love how the even the box art tacitly admits the other two tales are poo poo. But "Zuni Fetish Doll" loving terrified me when I first saw it as a kid. It more than offsets the other two stories (which I can't even remember off the top of my head).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

Whoever pronounces it bio-pic is an idiot who pronounces a word wrong so there.

Dictionaries disagree with you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Free Drinks posted:

I know it's a dumb thing to continue on with, but it still is really uprising people would pronounce it like bi-opic rather than bio-pic. I always assumed the word came from smashing 'biography' and 'picture' together so that is how you would say it.

To turn back to posters, I can't remember how it showed up in my amazon searches but Cherry 2000 has an absolutely killer poster.

The movie seems pretty lovely, though in a way I enjoy, but that poster can't get up on my wall soon enough.

Budget: $10 million
Box office: $14,000

quote:

In the year 2017, the United States has suffered a series of civil insurrections and economic downturns, fragmenting into post-apocalyptic wastelands and limited civilized areas. One of the effects of the economic crisis is a decline in manufacturing, and heavy emphasis on recycling aging 20th Century mechanical equipment. At the same time, robotic technology has made tremendous developments, and female androids (or "gynoids") are used as substitutes for wives. Society has become increasingly bureaucratic and hypersexualized, with the declining human sexual encounters requiring contracts drawn up by lawyers prior to sexual activity.

"gynoids"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

They both mean the exact same thing unless you're going out of your way to intentionally use an archaic and lesser-known definition of the word. You've alwaya been wrong and even if you weren't you would still be insufferable.

Is today irony post day?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Alien vs Predator 6?

I think that's supposed to be a flourish of the "R". Or a 6. Who knows with these posters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's more evovative of the Brothers Hildebrandt poster, but I still don't like it for some reason.

EDIT: Figured it out. There's too much going on. Compare to the classic:

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 4, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Did you see the Guardians of the Galaxy post credits? They are both owned by Disney now.........

Are you talking about Howard the Duck?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Like the first one. The second one is OK. Not a fan of the third one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gently caress you, tagline! It's "couldn't". You "couldn't" care less!

I think I just had a Tumblr-Trigger moment (not to be confused with a legitimate PTSD trigger)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

But... why are they using a surfing term? I mean in the context of the original it made sense. But here it's nonsensical, much like the movie will be I expect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Did the lawsuit about that ever get resolved? There's a whole thing about some people claiming they own the character even though most of the stories are in the public domain.

It was settled and Doyle's estate "is very pleased", but I don't think any details about the settlement are known.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wedemeyer posted:

Look, I just thought the artist drew her weirdly in that poster. Its not a loving statement about anything.

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

Ugh, every time I read about The Scottisloving Macbeth, I just want to go to the nearest theater, walk around backstage and yell MACBETH MACBETH MACBETH.

As an actual part-time theater tech, I have yet to do this when the people in charge of my paycheck are around, just in case. :v:

Start whistling back stage, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Del Toro blew three years on a $100+ million adaptation of In The Mountains Of Madness that was ultimately canned because he refused to compromise on anything, after that Silent Hills getting cancelled shortly after it was announced was probably a small mercy.

I'm still bummed about At The Mountains of Madness not being made.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I love how this is shot from below but the viewer is eye level with the door in the back.

God drat it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Well seeing as how Paul Reubens isn't going to be cast in Season 2 and that's clearly meant to be Oswald Cobblebot's parents lifted directly from Batman Returns, I'd say there's a good possibility that it's real.

I mean not real. Or do I?

It is real.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"Still" is a really horrible word to use in a sequel's subtitle, and it's probably the worst word to use in a sequel's tagline. Good stuff, Disney.

C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Poster is still too god drat busy.

Like the last one, I get they're trying to recapture the classic Brothers Hildebrandt poster, but it becomes increasingly obvious they have no clue why the original Star Wars poster was so loving good.

Plus lovely photoshop skills don't help. It's not like they didn't have a budget to afford an actual decent artist.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spanky the dolphin posted:

Looks too digital to be a Drew Struzan poster?

Is that a Megadeath Star?

:megadeath:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

joedevola posted:

The real puzzle is why anyone would want to own a copy of that terrible film.

Because it's a fun popcorn film that's not as good as the first, but better than the second and the unmentionable one.

That and the raptor hunting pack alpha is Chris Pratt on a motorcycle.

And dinosaurs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

American author Dean Ing wrote a spy thriller called 'Spookers'.

If I recall he also wrote a (non-fiction) book about how to survive Y2K from a survivalist perspective.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Moacher posted:

I feel like Terry Crews is too good for this right now, but then I look at his filmography and realize that nah, he's in a lot of lovely stuff. I get that everyone has to do "hey, a paycheque's a paycheque" movies, he just seems to recognize and own that fact in a more self-aware way than others I guess, which is why the Terry Crews brand stays so strong.
He'll be the best thing about this garbage movie.

While there's a self-awareness about him, especially in comedies, I seem to remember reading/hearing an interview with him about how he's "blessed" with a career he never could have imagined for himself. And that every role he takes from the commercials to movies he does wholeheartedly and enthusiastically because he truly is enjoying what he's doing. I think people can see that and respond to that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Punisher War Zone is aggressively bad but goons have latched onto it for pretty colours and over the top violence that is just boring. Its the ironic shitposting of movies IMO.
This a correct opinion.

Aphrodite posted:

The Blade movies are also bad.
This is also correct.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't this a like making a movie about the Monster Manual?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dog days are over posted:

She looks like she's just hanging out in the middle of a laser gun battle and they're not managing to hit her star wars joke I dunno I don't watch these movies

I was thinking those are from the holo-displays in a command center.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks for the nightmare fuel.

I just keep imagining you lay paralyzed on your back at night and everything slowly starts to fade, with this as your last image.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sadly, those are probably funnier than the movie will be.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dreezy posted:

i love just how few fucks they gave about photoshopping those sunglasses onto the dog and possibly also will ferrell

The sunglasses are what you zero in on? How about the whole thing? That's composited from most likely individual protraits. The lighting is all over the place. Look at the shadows on Penelope Cruz vs. the folds on Mugato's robe thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dreezy posted:

oh yeah, but that's par for the course with lovely posters. the sunglasses look like literal clipart

Yeah, taking a look back at it, those sunglasses are a whole other level of craptastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I haven't seen any of them, but apparently Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, and especially Daredevil and Jessica Jones are supposed to be better than the marvel movies.

e: which isn't much of a feat

Agents of Shield has been batshit insane this season. In the best possible way. It keeps seeming like there's no way they can top the previous episode, and then they do.

HOWEVER, if you are just starting, I'd highly recommend going to Netflix and suffering through the 1st half of Season 1, enjoy the second half, Season 2 is pretty good. Because Season 3 ain't got no time for introducing new viewers to the characters, explaining motivations developed in the previous seasons, or doing info-dumps to establish the shows universe if they've already covered it.