Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheJoker138 posted:

Mortal Kombat is an amazing film, and Even Horizon is legitimately a good horror movie and probably the best Dead Space movie we're ever likely to get :colbert:

Soldier was a pretty good film too. PWSA is just a loving awful writer and insists and writing all the films he directs nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darwinism posted:

The camera wasn't the only gigantic change in RE4. Hell, I'd argue it's nowhere near as significant as the other major change.

Being able to loving aim.

Meh, you could aim in the Gun Survivor games. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weren't there two encounters with the giant snake in the PS1 version anyway? The main one in the attic and then on the return to the mansion on the route to picking up the magnum (I think).

Anyway, I played vanilla PS1 RE and can count the number of zombies I left alive on one hand. As long as you don't waste bullets due to no auto aim you have enough ammo to kill pretty much everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should really go back and see if I can still play the older RE games, I haven't tried one for years. I think 2 is still the only game where I got all the secrets, doing all the bullshit finishing in under a couple of hours while one having one save and no first sprays thing. Never did beat the Tofu mission though, no good with just a knife.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Code Veronica looked loving gorgeous after years of murky PS1 graphics, I still can't hate it. It's always the easiest for me to run out of resources though, I don't know if it's the length or having not played it as much as the others but I always start to run low on bullets and health items before the Tyrant boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

CVX might have looked good for its day but it has aged far worse than the old games. I believe it's the lack of prerendered backgrounds? Even the PS1 titles look way better than it nowadays thanks to that little feature. Well, RE2 and 3, RE1 is kinda...yeah. REmake and REzero both still look pretty nice too.

Yeah, no, anything before Code Veronica just looks like a mess of pixels on any slightly modern TV and RE 1 in particular was laughably bad even a couple of years later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mogomra posted:

I preordered that poo poo on the PS2 for Wesker's Report :c00lbutt:

Then my brother lent the binder it was in to a friend, and it was lost forever...

Imported the DC version from Japan, to this day it's one of only two Japanese games I own (the other being Ryu Kezan). I figured I'd be okay because I knew how Resi games worked and all the cutscenes are in English anyway, but I ended up getting stumped by the portrait puzzle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

REmake is a tough game if you're not used to tank controls and tight corridors, but that that's what a lot of the tension comes from, so, uh. :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never actually finished Resi 5 and hate the AI so if you want someone else who sucks to play with give me a shout. I'm in the UK, but I sleep weird hours. :v: PSN: DeathShiki

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead Aim is terrible but if you liked Survivor then, yes, it's better than that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna play as that emo kid, I spend most Resi games hiding in the corner healing myself anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aces High posted:

Wait, has Biohazard always had Japanese dialogue or is that a recent thing? I thought even the originals just had English dialogue with subtitles to preserve the "American authenticity". It also sort of explained to me why the english dialogue was so bad

It's definitely a more recent thing. I was wondering the same thing, I thought all Resi games had English dialogue from the start.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deaderinred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGNvv6r7G8

looks pretty good! not sure why ign bothered to compare the FMV bits though but skip to 1:20ish

Probably because whatever video compression they used to fit it on the GC discs made it look like rear end.

That actually looks surprisingly good and I'd forgotten how bad the original game's graphics actually were.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kin posted:

Really? Because i look at that gamecube footage and am blown away by how good it looks for a game from that generation.

Oh yeah, they looked amazing at the time, I was just shocked at how they'd aged.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wanderer posted:

combat's just not a very good idea

Maybe for the first couple of chapters but as soon as you get some decent weapons and enough brain fluid to upgrade them it turns into Resi 4. The enemies do move faster than Ganados though, are tougher and you have to be a pretty accurate shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lotish posted:

Do you happen to know how it does on PS4? Because that's what I was hoping to get it on. Right now I've got all of one game for the PS4 and I'm pretty much done with it.

I have the PS4 version, it looks nice but the framerate is all over the place and it's managed to develop UE3 style texture pop-in. It's disappointing considering that Wolfenstein ran flawlessly at 60fps so it's not the engine's fault.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Worked fine when I tried it, however PSN was up and down all day yesterday and may still be struggling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

If this is legit, I will buy it most definitely.

Yeah, I love Resident Evil Zero. Always have, always will. It's got a ton of issues but I've never understood the foaming hatred some have for it.

They let you drop items anywhere but then took out item chests and I will never forgive them for it.

Cyra posted:

If new voice actors needed to be a thing for a Resident Evil 2 remake to happen, I'd be willing to accept that at this point.

It'll never happen because Capcom would have to put in more than the minimum amount of effort and only SE can get away with porting a PS1 game unaltered.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 28, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mogomra posted:

You can explain away RE0-2's geography all you want, but RE3's will never make sense.

Who the gently caress designed Racoon City? The roads are useless!

I know at least where it comes from, all the tiny streets and everything plonked down almost completely at random and at a crazy angle is pretty much every Japanese town.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always liked how some bits of REmake were deliberately designed to gently caress with people who played the original, like the window in the dog corridor cracking the first time you go through but nothing happens until the second time you pass that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, I opened the front door and died to the dog because I forgot that they will rip your throat out if you don't waggle like mad. Hadn't saved either.

I had totally forgotten how different it was to the original game, you pretty much start out having to go in the complete opposite direction.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Can't you stun them if you shoot the dogs right as they jump or was that not possible in the REmake (and HD edition)? I feel like there's no time to shoot them once they start to leap, they just instantly latch on and push you to the ground.

Pretty that was only the PS1 games, they really ramped up the dogs for REmake.

The new controls take a bit of getting used to but are infinitely preferable to tank controls, even after playing all the classic RE games multiple times I was never more than 'okay' at actually dodging stuff with them. Maybe it takes some of the tension away but poo poo is deadly enough in REmake already, without having to fight the controls as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ausmund posted:

Is the REmake worth buying if you already own the gamecube version? Did anyone who had a part in creating the original gamecube game "remaster" it?

If it not looking like poo poo on modern TV's and not having to drag your GC/Wii out of storage to play it is worth $20 then yes, otherwise, no.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the neat things about the original RE was you could occasionally get stuff to trigger differently by doing things in a different order. I'm sure I once got the 'rescue Rebecca from the Hunter' bit to spawn in a different room but I've no idea what I did to change it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

poptart_fairy posted:

What triggered Rebecca getting killed by the hunter? I remember being sat there completely :stare: the first time I saw one take a swipe and slice her head off in the library.

Pretty sure the event to save her always spawns when you return to the mansion after the hunter intro cutscene, whether she dies or not just depends on how long you take to get to her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, it's been so long and there's so many weird little conditions that trigger stuff I've no idea any more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 4 uses tank controls. Blown your mind, I know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best thing about Outbreak was that when they released it in Europe the PS2 broadband adaptor hadn't been released here yet, so Capcom just removed the ability to play it online. :effort:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you have the shotgun wade into the middle, aim up and you'll take out two or three zombies with one shot. You can get away with killing a lot more stuff than you might think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aces High posted:

Is there a safe strategy for fighting Hunters in RE1? It seems that sometimes I'll open a door and, whoops your head is gone, do they have a tell so that you can get the gently caress out of the way?

Yeah, the tell is being anywhere loving near you.

gently caress hunters.

That's what magnum/grenade launcher rounds are for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ryoga posted:

Isn't this because of the zapping system, so if you pick up everything playing the leon A scenario there will be much less to be found when you play the claire B scenario.

There's like a grand total of two places where this actually effects anything. Maybe not even two.

Scenario B actually gets more ammo if you're any good at taking out Mr. X.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 8, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Maybe Capcom might get a hint from this but, then again, this is Capcom. :(

'Wow, imagine how much money we'd have made if we shoved some DLC in there!'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's one for every combination of possible people left alive with each character so like three or four each?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the only way I ever beat the original in under three hours was by using Jill and skipping getting the magnum, which takes you out of your way and wastes time, and just powering through with the grenade launcher. I kind of had to because I'm Real loving Bad at avoiding zombies so I have to stop and take out a lot of them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blackguy32 posted:

I can do it with Chris, but I usually have to use the Samurai Edge and skip rescuing Jill.

Also, don't save anyone. You can shave off at least a good 15 or 20 minutes that way.

I think I've only ever beaten the game with Chris like maybe twice over every version from PS1 onwards because only having six item slots completely loving sucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I must have played through Resi 2 a hundred times and I never knew that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone was excited about RE0?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the dumb costumes in the world wont make 0 any worse than it already was.

But they might just make it better. :twisted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best I ever got at RE games was being able to beat Resi 2 well enough to get all the secrets, the concept of being able to do a knife only run or invisible enemies being easy is just... I don't..

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess that would make it easier :v: