Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Sure, the mine itself won't do us any good yet, but who knows, there might be some assets laying around we can liquidate, and raiding a weapons depot is serious poo poo. The kind of serious poo poo where we probably don't want to go through the front door. I bet a mine has the kinds of explosives that allow us to create our own entrance.

I agree, although it looks like Fiona has some C1 and C4 in her inventory by some of the screenshots. Breaching into buildings using explosives is the one of the most fun things to do in JA2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Bilal posted:

I agree, although it looks like Fiona has some C1 and C4 in her inventory by some of the screenshots. Breaching into buildings using explosives is the one of the most fun things to do in JA2.

Yeah, Fiona packed in a small block of C1 and a Shaped Charge. In one of the maps she scavenged another Shaped Charge. Two Shaped Charges squish together to form a Small C1. Two Small C1s are supposed to merge to form a regular-sized C1 block, but for some reason the merge isn't working. :(

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm going to propose a slightly different direction. I always end up doing Dressen first, so would like to see this played a different way. I say: D

Let's liberate Chitzen so that the port is open so that when we do take the mines, we can start getting income immediately.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My vote is for A -> F -> C

First two will give us access to decent supplies, while the third will not only allow us to bring in cargo shipments and new hires basically at will, it will also give us a fortified military installation where we can train up militia, store gear, and treat our wounded until we secure an actual town.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Just to clarify, militia needs money to train, and also requires some daily upkeep. With the paltry three grand the team has now, they'll be able to train up maybe a dozen green militia and maintain them for a few days.

One consideration to think about is that Chitzena does have a mine in addition to the port. Liberating the city (including the mine) will immediately kickstart the cash flow.

Decisions, decisions...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
(G) > B > D

(Stop in, find Tony, see what he has, buy what can be bought, preferably traded with gear you have/take from patrols.)

Secure Chitzena, the port and the mine and start a cash flow, and build your first garrison. Ira can be deposited there for now maybe to keep the militia trained up and ready. Squad may need to stick around to fend off a counter attack. Meanwhile, work on C by scouting Chitzena's SAM site. If there is no enemy armor, the city can be taken.

A > B > F > C > E

Secure Drassen, find Father Walker (who should either be in Middle or South Drassen (dunno if your mod selection changes this), get supplies ready. Secure the mine, increase funding, build garrison, head for arms cache, secure that, stockpile heavy weapons, distribute small arms to the militia forces. Take SAM Site, find Skyrider, then go take care of the Chitzena SAM site if you haven't already (like if it required heavy weapons you didn't have).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like the part of the show where they'd all split up. Michael would go speak to Father Walker and help him with some incredibly dumb problem, Fiona would go blow up the SAM site (rather than secure it like the plan was) and Sam would show up with Skyrider (after having some drinks) who was actually an old buddy of his.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

UberJew posted:

This seems like the part of the show where they'd all split up. Michael would go speak to Father Walker and help him with some incredibly dumb problem, Fiona would go blow up the SAM site (rather than secure it like the plan was) and Sam would show up with Skyrider (after having some drinks) who was actually an old buddy of his.

Splitting up is certainly an option.

EDIT: Sometime tomorrow, I'll probably boil the most popular suggestions down to 3 or 4 solid plans, then post those for a round of voting that I can actually tally up and act on. That's probably what I'll do for crowdsourced strategy in the future.

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 23, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I didn't put too much emphasis on splitting up in mine cause I'm not really familiar with wildfire and everything. With the 1.13 I know, I could probably tackle most of it solo with a single IMP, but I don't kinda want it to feel like you're abusing plot armor too much. Simulataneous attacks will also certainly confuse Deidrana a whole lot though. Two squads of three could probably handle poo poo fairly well, though. Ira should probably go to Drassen because of Father Walker.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
A, then D and B, but begin with the Chitzena mine. Food first because we're the good guys! Then we could grab the Chitzena mine and port for the income to raise a few militia. I (and I think most people) always take Drassen first, so it would be good to see it done another way.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
A, B, and D.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Had some time tonight, so I drew up a couple of concrete proposals based on what got the most support up until now.

The proposals so far have pretty overwhelmingly favored securing basic necessities for the rebels, so all of the below plans incorporate that.

Plan A
1) Find Father Walker in Drassen and arrange for food and supplies for the rebel camp
2) Raid the supply depot SW of Drassen for weapons and equipment

Plan B
1) Find Father Walker in Drassen and arrange for food and supplies for the rebel camp
2) Liberate Drassen (including the mine)

Plan C
2) Find Tony the arms dealer in San Mona to secure weapons
3) Follow up with either Plan A-2, Plan B-2, or Plan D-2.

Plan D
2) Travel to Chitzena and liberate the city, including the mine and port

Plan E
1) Michael and Ira find Father Walker in Drassen and arrange for food and supplies for the rebel camp
2) Fiona, Sam, Jesse, Dimitri travel to Chitzena and liberate the city, including the mine and port

Cast your votes, and whichever has the highest total by Friday evening will be the team's chosen course of action!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Plan B, then train up some dudes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Plan E! It sounds like the most "realistic" and interesting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FiddlersThree posted:

Yeah, Fiona packed in a small block of C1 and a Shaped Charge. In one of the maps she scavenged another Shaped Charge. Two Shaped Charges squish together to form a Small C1. Two Small C1s are supposed to merge to form a regular-sized C1 block, but for some reason the merge isn't working. :(

Is it a merge or an attach? There's two ways you can use items together in JA2 - put one in each hand of a merc and then in the tactical screen, drop one of them into the other hand. That's how you "merge" stuff like half-used medkits (at least that's how you did it before the much easier auto-merge hotkey was added by 1.13). You also do some "crafting" that way. The more common crafting method is to right click one of the items and drop the other item in one of the attachment slots.

If you've only tried one of these, maybe it's the other one that makes fullsize C1. I'm not sure, because I think that whole set of combinations was added by AIMNAS (which I don't know that well), and even in the original game it's not very consistent about which method is used for what.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Of the options above, I like D - Get the necessary stuff done, and then get your cash flow sorted out so that you can start building up.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

E all the way- if there's one thing Weston knows how to do, beyond mobile phone McGyvering, scaring Russian Spetsnaz and eating yoghurt, it's delegating tasks to get as much done as quickly as possible.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Plan E all the way. Most Burn Noticey. You may wanna have an extra person come with Michael (maybe Sam? I may be just biased in my love Mike and Sam interactions), just to round it out a bit. Two people to go find father walker is fine, but afterwards you're either going to need to wait for Fiona and crew to hike back to finish taking Drassen/the SAM.

Also, I'm gonna say again that Michael should contact Max; let him know he's gonna be gone for a few weeks and maybe get some sort of satellite fly overs of the country or maybe some CIA discretionary money or some sorta help. If he's got the resource, Mike's liable to put it to good use.

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
Plan E.

It's the one that feels the most like the show.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Voting for Plan E.

Knan
Jun 8, 2006
idiot
Plan E.

Loving this LP, keep it up!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Plan E. I tried not to do operations with less than one full team of shooters, and I've certainly never seen split ops so early in the game, so this should be fun.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Metagaming spoiler question

What effect does securing food/supplies for the rebels actually have in-game? Do you get higher morale/loyalty? More militia? A few NPCs?

I played this game so long ago, and it looks like this mod really changed a lot of things.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Volmarias posted:

Metagaming spoiler question

What effect does securing food/supplies for the rebels actually have in-game? Do you get higher morale/loyalty? More militia? A few NPCs?

I played this game so long ago, and it looks like this mod really changed a lot of things.

In the original game, it's how you picked up Dimitri. Here? No clue, since he already HAS Dimitri.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Davin Valkri posted:

In the original game, it's how you picked up Dimitri. Here? No clue, since he already HAS Dimitri.

I think it does boost loyalty, most sidequests seem to do that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Jumping on the Plan E bandwagon.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Plan E for mixing it up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I want to point out 1 important thing with respects to plan E. Chitzena is a long rear end walk away, especially if we want to avoid San Mona. Michael and Ira are going to be sitting on their rear end not doing anything for a long time, seeing as how the rest of the crew is going to have to go all the way to Chitzena, knock out 4 sectors worth of city, probably grab the SAM site as well (unless you want to make another long rear end trek very soon), but then still be unable to fly back due to Drassen's SAM still being up. Sure, Michael and Ira might have used that time to locate Skyrider, but it's unlikely they'll knock out the Drassen SAM with just the two of them, even if they try to make a night raid (unless we really want to abuse plot-armour I guess). The Drassen airport attack may have made night raids look easy, but those guys were chumps and the airport is a civilian facility, whereas the SAM site is military, which makes a big difference in layout and preparedness against night time attacks.

So, voting for E means Ira and Michael will be sitting on their rear end for a very long time.

I vote for plan B into A or plan D.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 23, 2012

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Very slightly spoilery/metagamey stuff about the SAM sites and other military installations, specifically how they differ from their vanilla JA2 counterparts:

Military facilities are actually laid out like military facilities now. They're completely fenced in except for one or two gated entry points, there are guard posts and sentry towers kept manned at all times, guards patrol the perimeter, all important doors are kept locked, and the area immediately outside the fence is heavily mined. In short, they're a lot harder to take on than they were in the vanilla game (although there's correspondingly more payoff).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
My vote is that we not actually have votes. The best part of this lp so far has been the story and character interplay so I think it would be better served if FiddlersThree did whatever makes for the best writing.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Going with B.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

UberJew posted:

My vote is that we not actually have votes. The best part of this lp so far has been the story and character interplay so I think it would be better served if FiddlersThree did whatever makes for the best writing.

I appreciate the idea, but one of my goals with this LP is to push myself to try different strategies. I tend to play through my JA2 games the same way each time -- same town order, hire the same mercs, etc. My hope is that by opening these decisions up to the thread, I'll be giving myself a more interesting game experience as well as creating a bit more of a lively and interactive LP.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Personally, i would suggest plan A, since it involves securing our own logistics and making their logistics rather unsecure.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

UberJew posted:

FiddlersThree posted:

I appreciate the idea, but one of my goals with this LP is to push myself to try different strategies. I tend to play through my JA2 games the same way each time -- same town order, hire the same mercs, etc. My hope is that by opening these decisions up to the thread, I'll be giving myself a more interesting game experience as well as creating a bit more of a lively and interactive LP.

In that case, wouldn't it just be best to always accept the vote that is most 'in character' at any given point? It forces viewers to reason their votes and FiddlersThree to take a non-optimal path which is liable to be different to what he normally does.

I vote plan E. It's the most in character for the show (splitting up and aiming to achieve multiple tasks at once is a staple), and even the proposed split seems in character. Michael and Ira to Drassen, using Michael's charm and Ira's knowledge to secure Father Walker's support again. Then we have the remainder plus the more combat minded Dimitiri to liberate Chitzena, where I think Fiona's explosives expertise will be useful.

As people have pointed out, Michael and Ira will have some time to kill waiting for the rest of the group to finish, so they can scavenge the township for supplies and perhaps take the mine in the third sector of Drassen.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Plank posted:

As people have pointed out, Michael and Ira will have some time to kill waiting for the rest of the group to finish, so they can scavenge the township for supplies and perhaps take the mine in the third sector of Drassen.

If the final vote is for Plan E, I'll find some way to keep Michael and Ira busy. There's Skyrider to find and plenty of enemies to kill in Drassen. Another option might even be to have them travel on to San Mona while everyone else is partying in Chitzena. I just didn't really feel it necessary to create separate plans for each of those options.

As for the voting, I do like hearing everyone's thoughts about how to proceed from both JA2 and Burn Notice perspectives. I like having a bit of balance between the two. The change I'll probably make going forward is just coming up with several possible firm plans from the beginning, rather than just a loose summary of objectives. I'll definitely leave it open to write-in votes, though, and if an awesome plan pops up, I'll include it in the voting.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I really need to check the LP subforum more instead of relying on my UCP, or I might have missed this.
I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out, given that I love JA2 and really liked Burn Notice, both the concept and the execution. And Bruce Campbell.
Time for me to catch up so can I participate. :)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Is burn notice worth watching just for Bruce Campbell? Because I hate shows like that but love BC (like most goons) in pretty much everything else.

The ads I've seen for the show just remind me of Simpsons parodys like McGarnagle, McBain, Single Female Lawyer etc

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dud root posted:

Is burn notice worth watching just for Bruce Campbell? Because I hate shows like that but love BC (like most goons) in pretty much everything else.

The ads I've seen for the show just remind me of Simpsons parodys like McGarnagle, McBain, Single Female Lawyer etc

He doesn't get a chance to shine in every episode, but the ones where he's featured heavily are golden.

The show's vastly better than the ads suggest in general, too, but there's definitely a fair bit of cheese in it.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

dud root posted:

Burn Notice is the direct descendant of 1980's action shows like Magnum PI and A-Team with a heavily formulaic approach to the episodes. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, Bruce isn't going to make you enjoy the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The only issue with Plan E is that NPCs won't talk to you till you clear the sector of baddies.

• Locked thread