Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
So, I got shown this series from 1-16 by a friend a couple of weeks ago, and it scared the hell out of me. I've spent my last few weeks of free time here and there getting caught up - totally sucks to be waiting for a new entry now, the series does work really really well as a continuous piece of work.

I'm really not a horror aficionado by any means, so I hope I don't sound like an ignorant fool, but this is really like nothing I've ever seen before. I mean yeah, Blair Witch comparisons are obvious, but I haven't really seen anything that actually exploits and subverts the nature of its own medium (e.g. screen tearing, sound distortion) to create scares and further plot, at least never to this extent. Can anyone recommend me anything even remotely like it? Probably the most fundamentally modern thing I've ever seen. So good.

As for where the series is at, I am pretty excited to see how this is gonna wrap up, though I do dislike the recent tendency for long entries which are basically instructional videos on how to walk from one place to another. The one where Jay follows Alex into the woods and then is totally okay with him staying there by himself springs to mind. Speaking of which, they do some pretty dumb poo poo to serve the format - the most heinous one from memory is when Alex breaks Tim's leg, why not say 'hey man what the gently caress why you sneaking around with a mask on and chillin out in my room while I'm asleep and all physically insulting me' instead of chewing Alex out for breaking the leg of the guy who did all those things I just said for no apparent reason.

But apart from those slight rankles, this series fuckin rocks. Totally awesome that it's a goon thing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Clarington Grey posted:

I have this feeling that Jay is not going to survive this journey he's on. I imagine that Marble Hornets will ultimately end with a long silence from Jay after some bombshell twitter update, and then a final entry from totheark: Jay's camera footage showing his confrontation with Alex and the Operator, in which he unwittingly films his own death, a la Blair Witch/REC.

The other, slightly happier option is this but with Alex instead of Jay, and Jay posting it. Actually at this point I'm almost entirely sure that Alex won't survive this series - although they do not treat death lightly on Marble Hornets, and the only actual one we've seen was an extremely visceral, violent encounter, that's the way I'm seeing it going. Can't wait for 59 :dance:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Everything said, this sort of indicates to me that Tim is not (mentally) Masky. They may use the same body, but Masky comes with the Operator, Masky's control of Tim goes away when the Operator's not around.

I suspect you're right, for a very open definition of 'around' - it's not like the Operator was physically present a lot of the times Masky was running around doing his thing, so I guess it's more 'involved in people's lives'. Which is so drat vague but we just have to kind of wear that.

As for whether they should've talked more explicitly about what was going on, well, that is something that's often irritated me about this series - it sometimes beggars belief that they don't talk things out more and just refer obliquely to the horrible, inexplicable events unfolding around them. However, for once I thought it was the right choice. They're not telling each other anything new by saying "and I was running around in a mask!" "yeah man you were, you also attacked me!"

That stuff was actually handled really well - Jay's line "you're gonna call me a psychopath" was excellent, because Jay knows what Tim's been up to, Tim knows why Jay's saying that, the audience knows exactly what's going on and it's an authentic statement in the heat of the moment, all without having the characters stand up and recount the plot. Aside from one or two lines (mostly Jay's), this entry had some excellent dialogue.

Edit: speaking of the Operator, though, he's been curiously absent this season. I guess he's gonna turn back up when Alex does, assuming Alex turns back up? What's the last thing we saw him do, straight try to kill Jay and Jessica. Then disappeared. I'll be interested to see how he is re-introduced.

Mitthrawnuruodo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 15, 2012

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

HerpinAndDerpin posted:

It would jump the shark if this thread gets swept under the rug. An entry like this needs a follow up IMO, but I wont hold my breath.

Where does this thread supposedly lead us? As others have said, the channel has always existed in-universe, because otherwise it would've made zero in-universe sense every single time Jay said 'I will upload this or that'. Basically we've had a secret revealed about Tim, which is interesting, sure, but it's not exactly something Jay can be pro-active about.

So the only lead we're really left with is the hospital, and I'm sure Jay will return there, look around uselessly and wait for the plot to happen to him, as is par for the course with Marble Hornets. I'm not saying I didn't like the entry because I fuckin loved it, but it basically cleared the muddy waters over whether Tim was lying or genuinely amnesiac and that is all.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Turpentine Caz posted:

Seeing a new TTA is about a hundred times more tragic now I know that Tim's going to be waking up after making it (assuming it's his masked self that makes them, and it seems like a safe assumption at this point that he at least has a part in them) going "oh gently caress it's happened again".

Yeah, poor Tim. Jay is a dumbass.

In the meantime:

@MarbleHornets posted:

I'm fine, for those asking. Going back to the hospital Wednesday.

AND THEN

@MarbleHornets posted:

Of course I'm bringing a flashlight this time.

Guess there's another new entry coming soon.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, I love that the MH twitter feed is written in character, but also contains a link to the DVD store. If Jay's gonna be terrorised by supernatural beings and mask-wearing, rock-wielding mental patients, he's gonna make some money off it dammit

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Just had a thought - could it have been the Masky persona that left the documents for Jay? Referring to his other self as a liar? I don't really know why that might be the case, but it might be a cool thing. Certainly can't really work out why Hoody might've left them, but I guess Entry 60.5 will tell us more.

Great entry too, as others have said. Really tense and it was good to finally see the Operator back in the game in the present. Pretty sure the last time we saw him chronologically was when he wiped Jay's memories of the preceding 7 months, so he's been out of action for some time now. Which also begs the question of what the hell happened to Alex (and Jessica and Amy I guess), and when and how he's gonna turn up again.

As for the approaching ending and worries about not getting answers, I have a couple of thoughts - firstly, we're now a total of 8 entries in to season 3. If the third season is as long as the first two, then we still have another 18 entries to go, so I don't think we should necessarily worry about them not having enough time to resolve it all.

Secondly, and by contrast, the thing that worries me is how they're gonna convey it all. As we all know, Marble Hornets has never been one for spelling anything out, and even most of the stuff that we do know is more or less guesswork from watching the videos rather than any of the characters coming out and saying anything. I'm sure the producers have the whole thing figured out, re: Alex's motivations for doing the things he does (possessed? controlled? an rear end in a top hat?), Hoody's identity (Brian? Jessica?), Tim's whole deal, totheark, the nature of the Operator, etc. and I'm sure we're gonna get at least some of those answers.

The thing is, I can't see those answers being terribly simple, and Marble Hornets doesn't really have a mechanism in the way it's made for delivering lots of complex information quickly. Entry 59 just about got away with it, but I can't see figures as mysterious and hard-to-catch as Hoody/Masky/totheark screaming the plot at Jay in a carpark, any more than I can see them holding up a skull and soliloquizing the whole thing into a camera for Jay to find. The alternative that I can see is Jay revealing his own findings to camera, which I guess is okay but kinda weird, or delivering it in text, which is similarly unsatisfying.

All this said, I'm not trying to say that I don't think they're gonna pull it off, because I'm yet to be disappointed by Marble Hornets (aside from one or two 15 minute entries in season 2 which are essentially instructional videos on bushwalking)and these guys are obscenely talented, just that they've got a really hard job ahead of them if they're gonna do it in a way that's consistent with what's come before as well as explaining some of the mysteries.

tl;dr - Gee, Marble Hornets sure is great, I hope they don't gently caress it up in the home stretch because they've got a fair bit to get through and it's gonna be difficult to convey!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

SporkTSI posted:

I thought that this was pretty interesting until some dude from the comments section who is studying at Miskatonic University (:iamafag:) got involved and then came a video of him looking at the notebook revealed him to be some pasty white shut in, which at that point just completely killed it for me.

Not to mention 'FLAMEROCKPRODUCTIONS' at the top of the page and the guy giving shout outs to his Unfiction buddies.

Well it seemed like it flamed out really fuckin quickly. I started reading it and thought 'huh well this could go somewhere, another interesting way of - wait - oh, okay, I guess that's done then'

Edit because gently caress double posting:

quote:

I'd be a bit suspicious of that Slender kickstarter. I'm not sure a Slender movie would work any better than your normal hidden camera low budget horror flick and I don't see that it could do anything new, I mean who really decides to make a film about an internet fad? A youtube series is one thing but if you're going to the effort of making a film it be better if it wasn't riding on the success of something you have nothing to do with.

Well, yeah, I don't really see the point. I haven't seen any of the others, but the fact that there's MH and a bunch of others who have already kinda done the Slender Man on video thing, with found footage to boot, makes me think that this isn't really gonna excite me. As for riding on other people's success, well, at least they're releasing it free.

In other news, got a surprise windfall last week and ordered myself both DVD sets, can't wait till they arrive. I've heard the commentaries are pretty sweet, yes? Do they go into much about how they made it or just make jokes?

Mitthrawnuruodo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 12, 2012

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

At the end we may find that none of them can be pidgin holed as simply good guys or bad guys.

Jay seems to be a good guy at heart, just incredibly dumb. That's all we can really say for sure as far as labels go, though.

Entry was okay. Didn't really feel like we learned anything - I figured from the way that Tim described it in Entry 59 that it had been going on for a good long while - or at least if not his blackouts then his problems. I guess we're left with a couple of implications; if the headaches/coughing/horrible feelings are caused by the Operator, then the Operator's probably been around Tim his whole life, but presumably without his knowledge until now, considering he describes it as just "that thing that's stalking Alex". Unless, of course... 'he is a liar'.

Otherwise, Tim is just a poor hosed up little kid whose already-debilitating mental problems were exacerbated and focused by exposure to the Operator. Either way, I want Entry 61 already.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Jay usually notices them and posts "Looks like totheark has responded again: [link]". As in yes, this is definitely a hack/Jay meltdown. Last time something like this happened was in the gap before season 3, and it also happened during season 2. The season 3 one was framed as a definite hack (something along the lines of "I didn't post of any of that, changed my password"), but the season 2 one started off with "I don't feel so good" and then we got a day or two of hardcore totheark madness before Jay got himself sorted. Can't remember if he also said he got hacked or if he just didn't remember posting it.

Edit because my posting finger is too itchy:

Video was excellent, Troy's a heck of an editor. Loved the mask coming on too. Hope we get an entry soon. What do we reckon about the picture on the twitter account? It's a freeze from the last second or so of the video. Can anyone make out silhouettes? I can't see a god drat thing

Mitthrawnuruodo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 4, 2012

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

This entry was really cool, as have been the last few, but I don't know if it's the fact that I burned through the first two seasons as one big movie and am now watching as they come out, or if this is just a season 3 problem, but it doesn't really feel like we're heading anywhere. There is practically nothing that Jay can be any kind of pro-active about, Alex seems to have disappeared from the story entirely, and god dammit it just takes so long.

Anyone else feeling this?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Clarington Grey posted:

There are possibly four Masked characters - Tim and the other one we saw assaulting Alex, then Skimasky, and the skull-masked person glimpsed in Entry #26.

I'm pretty sure the other one we saw assaulting Alex was Skimasky, and the skull-mask has enough similarities to Tim's mask to suggest that it's more for a symbol than anything else - it's not like we see a person wearing it, and we've seen plenty of creepy artificial faces in totheark videos before and since. I'd say that leaves us with Tim and Skimasky.

Edit: Forget that poo poo I just said about being frustrated with lack of direction - Jay has topped and tailed the new Entry 61 with some comments that are very exciting indeed. gently caress yeah Marble Hornets

Mitthrawnuruodo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 9, 2012

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

I feel more optimistic about Jay's safety knowing he is at the park, who knows what could've happened to him, tweeting while driving :ohdear:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You think people aren't gonna fuckin work it out from the photo

(I suppose it could be outside the hospital)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Why is no one spergin' bout the shoes skimasky was wearing? That's gotta be a clue right?

Some of you new guys pick up the slack.

Yeah, I thought about it when I saw the shoes, because for some reason I thought SkiMasky might be Jay, but Entry 59 was on the related videos, the thumbnail being Jay's (different) shoe. I did think SkiMasky did seem to have Troy's physicality in parts, but I could be utterly wrong.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah I mean, I'm not sure if we're supposed to be seeing a pattern in the writhing mass that shows up during "Look What You Have Caused", and I'm pretty sure there's a flash of Tim's face in one of the mini-distortion-spasms. Apart from those specific events, the whole thing had very Operator-esque effects running through it. I think someone suggested that untreated Slender-sickness turns you into the Operator based on that stuff. A less extreme theory might be just that extreme untreated sickness produces the same video glitches, simply because the Operator is present by virtue of his effects.

Or we're all dumb and he was nearby the whole time.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

A Child's Letter posted:

The thing that stood out the most to me was near the beginning, Tim's jacket was on the door knob. After his seizure and sobbing, as Skimasky is leaving, the jacket is gone.

Yeah, someone suggested that he becomes Masky without the pills, and I'd say that whenever we hear from Jay next, we'll be seeing Masky back in the game. Didn't notice the jacket thing but that sort of confirms it in my mind - wherever Tim is going, and whichever state of mind he is at the end of the last entry, when he gets there, he won't be Tim no more. Fuckin, hurry up guys.

Edit: Yes we have seen Masky without the jacket - the first time we see him in Entry 18 he's wearing black - though I think he might be wearing it in every subsequent appearance as Masky, in addition to wearing it during the interview with Tim in season 1.

Mitthrawnuruodo fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 12, 2012

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

I was at a party last night, and a few of us went outside to hang out for awhile. While I'm talking and laughing, I turn around and catch a glimpse of a tall figure with a suspiciously familiar face. Did a huge double take and pointed Masky out to my friends, who all freaked out - of course, I am on the ball, so I promptly shouted "hey! hey!" and sprinted after him, got around a corner and he was gone - until I saw half the mask peeking out from behind an alleyway. Sprinted again, and as we're running he falls over. I tore his mask off to find out it was one of my very good friends.

So I grabbed a rock and broke his leg.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Iron Chitlin posted:

Skimasky does look kinda small, which would theoretically rule out Brian as well, and the only others I can think of, would be Sarah or Seth.

I always thought Skimasky had a build very similar to Troy's, even though I think Jay chasing Skimasky through the hospital *pretty conclusively* rules him out as a suspect (and there's no such thing as a hallucination when the perspective is explicitly a camera - and I'm pretty sure Tim saw him too). Doesn't mean it isn't Troy behind the mask, though!

Edit: Though uh it probably does mean that for Entry 58

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

cat doter posted:

I meant alex. Total brain fart.

That would also be great, but again, we've seen them in the same frame together - middle of season 2 sometime, Skimasky and Masky attack Alex, but FRO just as the Operator arrives. Or so we assume.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Entity seems like pure plagiarism to me, what with stealing the operator sign and plot points from Marble Hornets, wouldn't Troy have some legal standing should that thing make money?

Potentially, but I suspect not. The Entries themselves are completely free of any kind of ownership claims, and I don't have the DVDs on me currently but from memory they are likewise - after all, a great deal of the basis for Marble Hornets is technically 'plagiarised' as well. Even if they had sorted all that stuff out, at the end of the day it's a circle with an X through it - seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and get that fixed.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Great TTA entry. I hope they do meet again soon. And that the Operator turns up again. And that Alex turns up again. I just want more :(

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, I've seen them both do a lot better. Was left a little cold by the entry overall, but I guess we know exactly what's happening next. I thought they were trying really hard to make the dialogue seem like what people would actually say, but it just came across as clunky. Shame. Still, I'm always happy with a new entry, if nothing else as a reminder that they are making more.

As for being too close to the end, I think we should remember that, if they're going off previous form (and there's no reason to think otherwise), then we're still a clean 16 entries away from the last one. Troy said recently that the end is still a ways off.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if they came out quicker. If they'd got that out the week after it would've been easier to swallow, but not much fun waiting three weeks for.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, I guess the danger's given way to the mystery, but they're not really revealing the mystery any more than they ever have. That said, I did get a huge kick out of 61 (Tim's seizure) and some old-school thrills out of 62 with Masky, so they've still got me.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Done a little bit of puzzle-solving, to no real avail.

These two are from the cut from the underwater shot (which I'm pretty sure is from just outside the tunnel) to the parking lot. The face could be Tim's or Alex's. The second one is just there because it looks sweet.

This one's also in here for fun, and is from the cut from the parking lot to the tunnel. This portion appears to be set in the same area which entry 63 was shot in, with Tim and Jay deciding to go back to Rosswood together. The person walking toward the camera is presumably Hoodie/TTA. Presumably this is demonstrating that Hoodie was indeed there watching them.

This is the final screen. I've tried running the letters through an anagram generator - nothing particularly interesting sticks out. I also tried adding in A S E to the mix, thinking the description might be giving us missing letters, but that didn't yield anything that seemed relevant either.

So, in summation, this entry was bullshit and didn't really tell us anything. I mean I love totheark and experimental video so I ain't complaining, but I would really have liked some god drat chestcam footage. Bring on 65!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

I'm certain season 3 will play better as a continuous work - although I'm only basing that off the fact that I saw seasons 1 and 2 that way and enjoyed them a lot more. The story certainly is going very slowly at the moment.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

@whatatroy posted:

@marblehornets About time.

Oh Troy, you dog.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

I don't think Tim will betray Jay, at least not willingly - I've secretly been hoping for a "Tim disappears for half a minute, Jay calls his name, oh poo poo it's Masky" entry ever since the start of the season. Otherwise, Hoody will be there. OR! It will straight up be something really substantial that Tim admits to Jay, and we'll all talk about how cool it is to have a progressing story.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

For what it's worth, Tim has always been a really great actor, especially with physical stuff. Troy and Joseph have their ups and downs - but again, for what it's worth, I thought the particular moment in question was very well done, and his expression was chilling and implied all those things that people said above.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

This has actually been one of my main problems with the series from the beginning. The guys said in an interview that it was a conscious choice for a long time, because they were worried the audience would feel talked-down-to if they were shown something only for the characters to immediately repeat it (I think that was the reason - either way, they definitely said it was a decision), but I feel it detracts from the realism something fierce. Who knows, maybe we'd be complaining about the opposite too - but it has always irked me. Still pretty psyched for more, though

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

I love pretty much all of the troyhasacamera stuff, but I'm the only person I know who does. Everyone's pretty nonplussed by it when I show them. Shame, I think surreal comedy's great, and they usually do a really good job of it. I love the poo poo out of Joseph Listens To Jazz.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Well, Totheark has gotten somewhat less subtle. I think he/they/it is definitely addressing Jay, and is pretty much definitely SkiMasky. And that was Alex at the end, right? Anyone else notice it flashed 'You are distorted' after the 'He is distorted' screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Definitely thought Jay's Hoody was the Hoody hoody, but it does make Hoody's appearances in the same frame as Jay highly confusing. You could say that Jay hallucinates his masked self while Tim sees him, but I'm pretty sure there have been entries with both Jay and Tim going after him at the same time (wasn't there one in the school where they stalk him together for a few minutes?) So yeah. Who knows. Good entry, though.

• Locked thread