Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

gohuskies posted:

I agree, Democrats are total sell-outs on LGBT issues. Which is why it was some hypothetical third party, not Democrats, that passed marriage equality in Washington, Maryland, Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and DC. Oh, wait.

The Democratic President of the United States was against gay marriage when elected in 2008 and stated in 2010 that his views were "evolving". That's pretty much the definition of "opportunistic rhetorical supporter of lgbt rights".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

gohuskies posted:

:qq: yourself. I phonebanked for marriage equality in Washington, calling voters in the districts of swing legislators to tell them to contact their legislators with messages of support for the bill, at phone banks organized by our local Democratic party. What have you done for marriage equality lately?

Log Cabin Republicans work their asses off for marriage equality too.

It's absolutely true that individual Democrats have paved the way for marriage equality on the state level (in some states), but that doesn't magically make the Democratic Party as an organization a serious force for LGBT rights.

The Democratic Party doctrine seems to be "Decide for yourself how you feel on this issue", which is certainly better than the Republican doctrine of "We hate gays and you better hate them too". But just because it's better than the alternative doesn't mean it's good.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 1, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I am not saying that people should stop fighting for it, I'm saying that there is no chance that it won't happen within our generation, so keep your heads up and don't be so negative about temporary setbacks. poo poo'll fall shortly.

Besides it works in our favor eventually anyway because every single time the Republicans go and do this poo poo, another check mark is placed in the history books for the demise of the party's relevance... not that Democrats haven't hosed poo poo up pretty hard, themselves.

I can't wait for DoMA to get repealed and constitutional ban or not in these states, they'll be forced to recognize gay marriages from other states anyway. Suck on that, assholes.

The hippies of the 60's turned into the Reagan voters of the 80's.

Is it likely that 20 years from now people will be more accepting than they are today? Yeah, sure. But fewer people fighting every day for equality is a good way to make a lovely future more likely than it should be.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ratbert90 posted:

Welcome to Idaho, where gender identity and sexual orientation aren't protected classes against discrimination. :smith:

I'm not personally gay, but I will advocate for gay rights all day long, and I also changed my step-kids feelings about homosexuality from their crazy biological dads "all gays are terrible people who are living in sin." mantra. So at least I hope I am helping. :unsmith:

That guy is gonna see you as the man who "gayed" his kids, and that's loving awesome.

It's really the small wins like this - where bigoted people get their faces rubbed in poo poo - that help me get through the day.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

^^Scalia deserves to be super smug after predicting what Lawrence would lead to. That dissent will be loaded with hilarious stuff. I'm hoping for something more amusing than "It is clear from this that the Court has taken sides in the culture war".

I hope he brings up incest, bestiality, and masturbation again :allears:

quote:

Nevada, Hawaii, and Michigan cases are substantially the same. Even if they punt on Prop 8, the issue will come back next year.

I think Green Crayons is referring to Prop 8 taking away a right that had previously been granted. He's suggesting it's unique in that SCOTUS can agree with the lower court's ruling that you can't take a right away after granting it and simply punt on every other gay marriage ban.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People are being way too blasé about yesterday's speech. The president of the United States equivocated gay rights to the civil rights and women's rights movement. This is a Big Deal.

Christ remember 8 years ago when W made it a wedge issue to earn reelection? I think that's a hell of a turn around.

Come to think of it, did Mittens even touch the "big bad gays" drum this cycle? That's telling to me.

It's not just that - it's the first black President of the United States equating the struggle for black rights with the struggle for gay rights. That's a big jump up from his previous comments of, "Yeah I personally like gay people and support gay marriage". This is him affirming that gay rights is A Fight That Needs To Be Fought.

I don't know if he's continued to "evolve", if he's stopped being scared of saying these things since it didn't hurt his reelection, or if he sees this as a battle that can give him a second term for the history books. But no matter what his motivations, if he actually throws himself behind this I think we'll see a lot of "friction" in the state battles go away. I'd imagine it's quite amazing what a call or a visit from The President of the United States can do for a state representative who is on the fence about a gay marriage vote, or for a church or community leader who is conflicted about the issue. Just for emphasis, here's a list of states where gay marriage isn't legal but the Democratic Party holds the legislature and the governorship:

California (in limbo I know), Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island (Independent Gov who supports gay rights), West Virginia.

If even half of these non-West Virginia states pass gay marriage in the next 2 years it'll be a good sized victory, and I believe with leadership and lobbying form POTUS it's a thing that can happen.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kennedy is a libertarian and Roberts is worried about his legacy. The court will rule 6-3 for gay marriage to be the law of the land.

Given Roberts' "internal struggle" on PPACA I don't see him ruling against this.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Can't she at least have the decency to abstain?

Does anyone know how the Delaware Senate deals with ties?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Most weddings I've been to have been a ton of fun, and if that's not that case for someone they should reconsider who their friends/close family are.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

One of the unofficial nicknames for Minnesota is "the gopher state". This is because of some ancient political cartoon about railroads. We also have lots of gophers, and it's the U of M mascot :shobon:

Fun fact: Goldy isn't actually a Gopher. He's likely either a chipmunk or a 13-stripped ground squirrel. When I was a student rumor was the guy who originally drew the mascot had never seen a gopher before so he just drew a chipmunk instead.

Either way Goldy's poo poo eating grin is extremely satisfying for trolling people when we accidentally beat another sports team.

To actually be on topic a bit, is it possible for the Hawaii state legislature to change their minds and take up gay marriage this session? I know they didn't write it down in the book or whatever, but they have to have some mechanism for taking things up mid session. If Hawaii gets slammed by a typhoon there's no way they just go "oh well it's not in the book guess we'll take it up in 2014".

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Amused to Death posted:

I've only been to two, and it was when I was younger so that probably didn't help. Also both the ceremonies were like the antithesis of what I want for my own wedding so that didn't help.

Pro tip: If the ceremony and the reception are at the same place it's a short and sweet ceremony. If the ceremony is at a different place it's gonna be long and religious and you're better off only going to the reception.

greatn posted:

My wedding and some of my friends weddings loving rocked, but I could swear the last couple weddings I've been to the couples didn't swear love to and marry each other so much as they swore love to and married Jesus and the platonic ideal of marriage. And there was no booze!

Don't go to a ceremony in a church unless you're standing in the wedding.

To bring things back around to the thread topic I guess it's also ok to go to a church wedding if The Gay Agenda has forced the church to gay marry people against their will.

Just bring with a flask because you and/or the nice people next to you are gonna need it. Blood of Christ, shed for me!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

I want to elope when I'm officially gaymarried, but at the same time I get a little upset at the opportunity I'd be giving to my anarchoqueer friends to get sloppy drunk with my partner's cop buddies.

The best part about weddings is two groups of people who would never speak to each other normally come together, get really drunk, and sleep together. You should embrace this chance for the gay community to get closer to local law enforcement.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Thanatosian posted:

So, eHarmony chose to start up a whole new site, rather than just adding a dropdown to their regular site to specify what gender(s) you're interested in.

This is because the guy who runs eHarmony is a bigoted fuckface.

Separate but equal.

Also I'm imagining their software being so lovely that it would match two heterosexual people of the same sex together because they shared a bunch of common interests. This other person is also a heterosexual marathon runner who loves pizza - you two have so much in common!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sadly, I can't see this getting off the ground floor. We're the shittiest blue state in the entire country.

You're better than Wisconsin. At least you're going to toss Snyder on his rear end. We're going to reelect Scott Walker, and there's a decent chance he'll get a higher share of the vote than he did in 2010.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

InsomnicIneptitude posted:

Oh, I didn't even realize Wisconsin was blue. Well, today I learned something new. Perhaps that's indicative of something about Wisconsin... (all of this is sincere, I really did not realize Wisconsin was blue).

We haven't been red in a presidential election since 1984. A few of those (2000/2004) we were less than a percent away, though.

Unfortunately we won't be voting for Marriage Equality anytime soon. The GOP cemented their hold on the statehouse in 2010 and our constitution requires two different legislative sessions to vote for an amendment before the general public gets to vote on it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The people who are "evolving" on the issue are the most rational ones. This means there's less and less rational people to run the show over there as time goes on.

Expect the craziness to intensify as Marriage Equality increases in popularity.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Sweeney Tom posted:

The Queen signed it. Marriage equality is now legal in England and Wales, and marriages start by next summer at the latest.

So were they already legal in Scotland, or is there some weird federalism at work here?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Good on her! Shamelessly posting this picture swiped from George Takei

I hope she approves :allears:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

RagnarokAngel posted:

Rainbow Panthers intimidated voters at the polls.

I unironically support this.

Zeroisanumber posted:

M4Ms response is ridiculously hollow. Their fallback plan is to try to elect traditional marriage activists into the government and target pro-marriage equality politicians. Wasn't that always their plan? And what do they think they're going to do if they manage to get a few into the legislature, ask them to commit political hara-kiri by fighting a battle that's already over and lost?

It's all they can do. If they just throw their hands up in the air all of that sweet donation cash dries up and they have to get real jobs.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Social Security is also starting to take claims for same-sex spousal benefits. The government is often an unwieldy bureaucracy but can really move things along when it's legally required to (and people are passing attention).

It probably helps that a) most people in the chain agree with the changes on a moral basis, and b) there's already existing structures in place to grant all of these benefits. All they're doing is granting existing benefits to a group that is much smaller than the group that is already getting those benefits.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

They also claim an announcement on a special session will happen at the Governor's press conference 30 minutes from now.

Governor Abercrombie calls for special session

Anyone have information on how soon they'd end up voting? I can't say I know anything at all about Hawaii special sessions.

EDIT: Hawaii newspaper explains a bit more

quote:

Gov. Neil Abercrombie is calling for a special session on same-sex marriage.

Abercrombie made the announcement during a Monday news conference.

"It's time for marriage equity to take place and it's also time to recognize that it can take place without violating the religious principals of anybody in this state," said Abercrombie.

The special session will begin October 28, the governor addressed why he decided to call the special session prior to the next legislative session which begins in January.

"There are serious deep and wide-ranging consequences particularly with tax law that have to be in effect by December 31 if they are to be taken full advantage of presuming that the bill has enough votes for passage."

Abercrombie says the special session could last five days.

Lawmakers met on Friday with Governor Abercrombie and state Attorney General David Louie to review the bill. Representatives said there were some concerns about the language in the proposal, specifically the exceptions for officiants and religious property.

The governor has said in the past that he won't call a special session without solid support for same-sex marriage legislation.

Abercrombie said, "I feel very very strongly that the votes are there to pass this because it's time."

If passed marriage licenses for same-sex couples will be available on November 18.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 10, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Never mind that there's churches that want to marry gay people. That's not religious freedom, you see. It's only religious freedom when my religion can tell other religions what they can't do.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

He dies as he lived - a hate filled man that very few people cared about. The worst outcome ever for a troll like him is to die with literally no one caring.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I guarantee there are at least a dozen homophobes who currently have Stone Cold Steve Austin posters unironically hanging in their house. It's a victory if at least one of them hears that recording and has an existential crisis.

Install Windows posted:

Most millennials are too young to vote, and also too young to work or spend money besides allowances.

Like seriously, the standard cohort for millennials is ~1985 to ~2010 - more than half are under 18.

It's really silly to preassign 4 year old kids to a generational cohort.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I heard Gen Y a lot in elementary school, back when the "moments" of the generation were "born during Reagan but don't remember him" and Nickelodeon. Once we had actual generational moments like 9/11, the Iraq War, and the explosion of the internet the whole group became known as "Millennials".

To bring this back around to Marriage Equality, I remember a lot of "Being gay is ok" stuff from elementary school on, and "coming out" was seen as a big deal worthy of very special TV episodes. On the other hand, words like "queer" and "human being" were still perfectly acceptable well into high school/college.

There was definitely the potential for my generation to continue the bigotry of our parents, but people from previous generations who fought to show my generation that homosexuality was ok swayed most of us. I like to think we are paying them back with our votes, as well as with conversations we have with our parents and grandparents. My generation is just filling a different role from previous generations, and I don't really see why it's worth arguing over which role is more important.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Argue posted:

The man in the background seems to be getting in line to marry what looks like his pet cat. It is quite clear to me that America has started slipping down the slope and that the Republicans were right all along. :smug:

There appear to be several cats. Inter-species polygamy! :derp:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Maybe you could start a new youth group using 21st century ideas and knowledge instead of trying to salvage a pre WWI paramilitary organization based around 19th century ideas of manliness?

In all honesty it shouldn't be a shock that the Boy Scouts has an issue with adapting to modern social norms.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is it too late for some crazy to primary Walker? I really want to milk this turn of fortune for all this state can drink.

• Locked thread