Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Speaking as a Washington resident, I think that not only will the gay marriage bill be upheld, but Rob McKenna's opposition will be key to Inslee's victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think this is the best place for this:
Appeals Court Hears Arguments on Gay Marriage Law

We might actually get there, guys. It could actually happen.

So, wait, does Congress have legal standing to defend DOMA? I thought there was some dispute about whether they could even hire someone to defend it?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I may be repeating myself, but isn't there a problem with Congress defending DOMA? Does it even have legal standing to defend a federal law in court?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It won't, because the abortion issue is driven by misogyny/obsession with traditional gender roles, and not the act of abortion itself.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

AYC posted:

I read an extremely insightful comment on NPR's website:

I feel like I could have pointed out the logical holes in anti-gay marriage arguments when I was 12.

I have definitely noticed the quality of defenses of gay bigotry has gone down dramatically. I recall a time during Bush's second term where comments on NPR and CNN stories had almost cogent arguments. Part of the issue, though, aside from changing public opinion, is that actual loving scientists have tested the claims of gay marriage opponents, and found them bullshit. Fewer people argue being gay is a choice because it's scientifically unsupported.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Minorities trampled on by the democratic process have recourse to the courts; the recourse is called constitutional law.
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.
This is the line you use to shut up people whining about "the will of the voters" being overturned. The courts are a necessary corrective against the tyranny of the majority, and they are finally DOING THEIR MOTHERFUCKING JOB.
:unsmith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

White flag #1 and well worth the read

Here is the illustration on Matt Barber website

http://barbwire.com/2015/02/23/0900-gay-marriage-and-the-beginning-of-sorrows/

wait, "Cultural Marxism"? What do gay rights have to do with Marxism? Is it like, they hate Marxism and they hate gay people, so they assume everything they hate is associated in a grand overarching conspiracy? This sort of crazy out of touch with reality thinking is part of why they're losing this particular battle in the culture war.
Also, lol at the US being the only nation founded on Biblical principles. Do all the Catholic countries ever just not count? Oh wait of course not because Catholics are somehow also evil. :psyduck:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Stroop There It Is posted:

I apologize if this is inappropriate for this thread, but I just wanted to give a heads up to some of the posters on the previous page. The most widely accepted terminology in the trans community is "transgender people", not "a transgender/transgenders" or "transgendered people". I'm not remotely offended by these, but some particularly sensitive people will be. Frankly, I'm just glad to have people on our side.

Anyway, for actual content, an article recently came up in my news feed--some sociologists asked same-sex marriage opponents about their justifications for their position: Public Opinion, the Courts, and Same-sex Marriage: Four Lessons Learned

That's a drat great read because of how effectively it dismantles the "this isn't about hating gays" talking point. Which, you know, was already ridiculous on its face, but it's nice to have strong evidence. Also loving lol at all the people that didn't understand what "civil union" meant. Kinda wish this study had been done years ago, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Would there need to be a lengthy lawsuit to get that Oklahoma law struck down, assuming it passes? Or would courts act on it swiftly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont get why the "moderates" like jeb are still making GBS threads on gay marrage, surly they relized that they might actually get non republican voters if they came out as even somewhat socially liberal.

The primary voters are so far polarized that any position remotely palatable to mainstream Americans would be considered traitorous and result in humiliating primary defeats. The holdouts against gay marriage in the Republican Party are going to continue to assert their power for at least the next three presidential primary seasons.

• Locked thread