Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

jeffersonlives posted:

I think there is a very high chance that the Supreme Court will use these cases to effectively legalize gay marriage nationwide, and that it will be a 5-4 or a 6-3 decision by Justice Kennedy.

You guys are focusing too much on the opinions below in the specific cases granted. Anthony Kennedy couldn't give less of a poo poo what Judge Reinhardt did in the 9th, this is going to be his capstone opinion with his special form of jurisprudence.

I pretty much agree with this. What will probably push it over the top is the fact that all three same-sex marriage initiatives that were on state ballots this year passed. I think the Supreme Court sees which way the wind is blowing, and will finally just legalize it nationwide. Jeffersonlives has it right: this will be a monumental decision, and being one of the dudes who goes down in history as one of the Supreme Court judges who legalized same-sex marriage is basically the feather in your judicial career's cap.

The pure unadulterated RAGE from the right when same-sex marriage is legalized will be absolutely delicious to watch. Freep will be an absolute hive of hatred, and it will be great.:D Also, it's not exactly funny, but I'm pretty certain at least one super-neoconservative will actually kill themselves when same-sex marriage is legalized. I'd be sad, but gently caress YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I've been wondering about this: Can someone make a list of all nine justices and what positions they have/are likely to take? I'd like to see exactly who the 5/4 or 6/3 entails, and who the swing justices are.

Edit, Updated list:
Against
Scalia: rear end in a top hat who will rule against it no matter what.
Thomas: Another rear end in a top hat who will rule against it no matter what.
Alito: Not actually a separate individual from Scalia.

For
Sotemayor: Good person.
Kagan: Good person.
Breyer: Good person.
Ginsburg: Good person.

Swing
Kennedy: Libertarian, swing vote, but will likely/hopefully rule for gay marriage.
Roberts: may join the 'for' side to put his legacy on the right side of history, but far less likely than Kennedy.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 11, 2012

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

:stare: If we can get a few more high level Republican defections like this I seriously think the Supreme Court will end up with a 6-3 ruling for Same-sex Marriage being legal everywhere.

I don't care about Newt's marital background or if he's pandering or not, this is awesome. One of the Facebook comments pointed out that "The end result will be that Republican lawmakers should be able to vote for this without fearing for their seats." If Democrats are for gay marriage, and the Republicans are okay with it, the Bible-thumping social conservatives will be left high and dry. As they should be.:neckbeard:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

Homosexuality is a lot more accepted in the US than in some of these other places. In the US it's a lot more common to have had a personal interaction with someone that you know is gay since it's a lot easier for people to come out of the closet. Otherization of homosexuals is easier in these countries since so many are still closeted, and it's easier to prey on the ignorance of the populace.

:psyduck: You mean the US is actually ahead of the curve on something? Wow. I'm happily shocked.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
This is awesome; I'm still in shock at how quick this has moved. 81% support from people 18-29. I am so drat proud of my generation.:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"Prerequisite for running for president in 2016," the cynical part of me says.
:raise: Cynical? If this is true I'd be loving overjoyed, for multiple reasons.

1) Hillary 2016. :getin:
2) The Republicans are hosed as a party if they choose to oppose gay marriage. Again, 81% support from people 18-29.
3) Public support for gay marriage from a national party is a Very Good Thing.
4) The right will be a white-hot storm of frothing rage, and when they lose it will be GLORIOUS to behold.

This all presumes the Supreme Court doesn't just completely legalize gay marriage come June, which I'm seriously thinking is possible now. No one wants to be on the wrong side of history, and if you really can't see which way the wind's blowing, you must have your head buried in the sand.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MaxxBot posted:

You're correct, but it was actually something like 20%.

And it was Joe Biden that gave Obama the push. Joe Biden is loving awesome.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

jemsy posted:

MARRIAGE IS AS SET IN STONE AS GRAVITY AND THE SPEED OF LIGHT

...because those are both theories

...like evolution and the big bang.

Set in stone you say? Oh, really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_light:colbert:

E: Yes I know it's "speed of light in a vacuum" but I don't see "in a vacuum" there.:colbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 22, 2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Bulbo posted:

You have no idea: she fainted during a recent protest when the police pointed tear gas in her general direction.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but gently caress being nice :cawg:

Come on, there are GAYS marrying, you can't let a little tear gas stop you in your quest to make gay people miserable! loving wimp.:colbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

silvergoose posted:

Uhhh no, that's not the Mormon church. It's some heretic splinter I think.

They're a cult offshoot of a cult.

So they've gone so far from their Mormon roots that they've managed to loop back into the mainstream? Works for me.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 22, 2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
The major of San Antonio (who I voted for :c00l:) and a former Bush Secretary of Defense agreeing on gay marriage. We're seriously going to get national gay marriage before the decade's out.:stare:

Sweeney Tom posted:

The Senate Executive Committee will be voting May 1st, and the full Senate should be shortly after. It looks like it's going to be close:

Man, it's weird seeing both parties being split on for and against. gently caress Long, by the way. I never thought I'd unironically quote Cartman, but "You need to stop being such a chickenshit and stand up to your father!"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ballz posted:

That is a pretty loving weird thing to be found dead in, regardless of gender.

Edit: The "its" pronoun is rather crass, though.

The article posted:

Acoff had identified himself as a woman to to RTA officials, according to records.

Police said after they contacted area law enforcement for help identifying the body, Cleveland detectives told them they had a missing person matching its description.

The family was contacted and a match with DNA came back from the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office today, police said.

Yeah, "its" is kinda crappy. It may or may not have been intentional, but they could have reworded the sentence to "Cleveland detectives told them they had a missing person matching the body's description." Clearer, and no possibility of insult.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 1, 2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Crameltonian posted:

Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage

Holy gently caress :stare:

I think this is the first example of someone who hates gay people so much they'd rather die than live in a world where gays can marry. Also a Catholic deciding to protest gay marriage by committing suicide is one of the finest examples of selective reading of the Bible I've ever seen.

The article posted:

Much of his work has been steeped in the racist ideology of the far-right, apologising for the pro-Hitler regime in Vichy in the Second World war and warning of conspiracies to destroy European civilisation and to swamp the white race.
:godwinning:

I'm completely serious when I say that he did the world a favor by killing himself. Good riddance.:catstare:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:argh: dammit Illinois! Of course, this is somewhat of a moot point if gay marriage is legalized by the Supreme Court next month. But that's a huge loving if.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

What are they waiting for? Sweeps?
They're forestalling the protests and screaming that'll happen when they legalize Gay Marriage nationwide.:getin:

I remain an optimist.:colbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

According to my friend, he was the kind of rear end in a top hat who trolls gay bars looking for straight women who go to gay bars to get away from guys like him. It can be worse on event nights - the one gay club in Atlanta hosted a trance DJ a few years ago, and some of the people at the VIP tables were very drunk, very loud, and very loudly homophobic. Thank heaven the bouncers had been told not to take their poo poo.
What the gently caress, I don't even :psyboom:

Just of the top of my head:
What the gently caress were you expecting, you're in a gay bar you rear end in a top hat!
A straight woman in a gay bar probably isn't interested in being hit on anyway, since she's probably going to the gay bar in order to keep from being hit on.
Quite a few, if not most or almost all of the women in gay bars would likely be lesbians. Because, you know, it's a gay bar.:v:

My head hurts from trying to understand this guy's retarded logic.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 31, 2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

They also voted to approve a "statement" on human sexuality. This is a pretty in-depth policy paper, and there's actually some good stuff in it. The two things I remember are that it is pro-birth control and pro-comprehensive sex education.

Of course, this stuff riled up a bunch of jerkbags, and some congregations have voted to leave the ELCA. I think two new denominations have been formed because of this, but my dad was saying he doesn't have high hopes for them because probably what's going to happen is all the pastors who got kicked out of the ELCA for ethics reasons are gonna try and get back into pastoring with these new ones. Basically what this means is that all these churches who left for "moral" reasons are gonna be inundated with applications from pastors who in the past had like, affairs with members of congregations they served and stuff :ironicat:

Personal story relating to the ELCA: my parents and I are part of a Lutheran ELCA church, there was a group of anti-gay assholes in our congregation trying to push the church to leave the ELCA because of this. The anti-gay assholes basically didn't expect anyone to stand up to them, but our Pastor (cool dude) stood up and made it clear he supported gay people as well as the statement on human sexuality mentioned by Lutha Mahtin. Quite a few of the church members were afraid of "rocking the boat", but I didn't give a gently caress if I burned any bridges in the congregation, and I made my own support clear as well. So then instead of trying to pick a fight, the anti-gay assholes up and left, and presumably went to find a more gay-hating church.

I am still proud as gently caress that I pissed off those anti-gay assholes enough to make them find another church.:c00l:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 21, 2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

We also have court cases in Colorado, Texas and Pennsylvania like what we saw in NJ. In fact Texas Supreme Court saw the case today

http://www.dallasvoice.com/texas-supreme-court-hears-gay-divorce-cases-10160929.html
I am going to laugh my rear end off if this case results in Texas getting same-sex marriage in the most idiotic, rear end-backwards way possible. Then I'm going to cheer because it would still mean Texas gets same-sex marriage.

Also, on the ENDA discussion:

Install Windows posted:

And the more detailed:

Map of cities and counties in the United States that have sexual orientation and/or gender identity anti–employment discrimination ordinances
I love that line of purple in South-Central Texas; the top part is Austin, and the bottom three counties are part of my city of San Antonio, which just recently managed to get a full ENDA passed thanks to the efforts of Mayor Julian Castro. The vote passed 8-3, and lead to councilwoman Elisa Chan (who was secretly recorded spouting a bunch of homophobic and transphobic poo poo) resigning. I loving love my city.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Wax Dynasty posted:

Well, it didn't work in France, but don't let that stop him.
Just a friendly reminder about that guy:

The Article posted:

Mr. Venner, a prolific author of books and tracts on extreme nationalist themes, has been one of many vociferous critics of the [gay marriage] law. Much of his work has been steeped in the racist ideology of the far-right, apologizing for the pro-Hitler regime in Vichy in the Second World war and warning of conspiracies to destroy European civilization and to swamp the white race.

In the 1960s, he was a member of the Organisation de l'Armée Secrète - the extreme nationalist terrorist movement which opposed the French withdrawal from Algeria and attempted several times to assassinate President Charles de Gaulle.
Dominique Venner: Nazi apologist, racist, imperialist, former terrorist, and anti-gay bigot. You'll forgive me if I say I'm not sorry he's dead.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 4, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Just as the US is making progress, Nigeria is going backward.:suicide:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Either that, or intentionally surrounding Texas just to tweak their paranoia.
"THERE ARE GAYS ALL AROUND YOU! SURRENDER PEACEFULLY!"
Just for that, I'm going to post a shitload of San Antonio gay wedding pictures when Texas gets marriage equality.:c00lbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 15, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

blackmet posted:

That movie looks breathtakingly, mind frostingly, "The Room" level awful.

I must get drunk and attempt to watch it.
Hey now, there's one really good thing about "The Room".

About 30 seconds into it's April Fools day airing on Adult Swim, It was interrupted by Toonami's revival.:getin:

E:

ReidRansom posted:

Oh my. Just found out this morning one of my cousins is in some movie or web show or some poo poo called Recently Straight. It looks as awful as it sounds like it would be. I have a great deal of shame for a large part of my family, but I didn't know they were this bad.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I do like how they tried to give validity to it by saying that "psychologists" found out the data. I'm sure it was all incredibly scientific and above-the-board, and not just a lovely biased survey, if anything.
I hate this poo poo with a burning passion. It's not enough for them to say "gay people shouldn't be married because :downswords:" they have to actively try to gently caress up gay people's lives by pretending that "you can be straight if you try really hard":fuckoff:.

They never seem too keen to try the reverse, probably because it would go exactly like American Dad when Stan tries to be gay: they'd find out not a choice, and their world comes crashing down.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 21, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think it will be interesting to watch Texas because it's one of the most populous states. If they end up having the same Benny Hill-style scramble to get married like Utah, that will be a lot of marriages.

Also, and I'm talking out my butt here, Texas might have a higher percentage of (out) gay residents than Utah. Both are culturally conservative, but it wouldn't surprise me if Utah having more of a monoculture would tend to drive people to stay closeted or leave. Texas on the other hand, has relatively more religious diversity, and has multiple larger metro areas that might draw gay people from more rural states nearby.
You're essentially right on the money. Texas has a lot of diverse, high population cities: Houston and the Dallas/Ft. Worth area both have over 2 million people each, San Antonio (my city :woop:) has around 1.5 million, Austin has 840,000, and El Paso, which is considered a smaller city, has 670,000. In addition to those Texas has at least 25 smaller cities that still have more than 100,000 people each. Texas is loving big.:stare:

katium posted:

Don't forget Houston also has an openly lesbian mayor, so I imagine they are pretty LGBT-friendly as well.
She actually just got married in California. If the ban gets struck down, Parker's going to be all over that, and she'll be a high profile leader for the flood of gay marriages in Texas.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 14, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's 2 years old now, but everyone here should read this if you haven't already... because gently caress "conservative christian values" and their effects on LGBT youth.
Stuff like this is why I'm happy about the recent growth in the number of irreligious people. (Or "spiritual but not religious", or religiously unaffiliated; whatever you want to call the group.) Pretty much every source of anti-gay sentiment boils down to "conservative religion" or "it's gross"; you can (sometimes) reason with the second, and it's possible to change that sentiment, or at least convince the person to not oppose gay rights. But it's the religious part that is both nearly impossible to change and the main push behind the anti-gay efforts; see Prop 8, the Kansas bill, the Indiana bill et al.

On a more fun note, after San Antonio passed our non-discrimination ordinance, there were a bunch of recall petitions started by pissed-off conservatives to try to recall Councilman Diego Bernal, because he sponsored the ordinance, and mayor Julian Castro, because he supported the ordinance. So, how did those work out?

Well, the recall petitions failed (obviously), but just look at all the support they got; there's a whole six people there!:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 18, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Allen then, when asked about any biases due to his association with the anti-gay marriage Ruth Institute (slogan: One man One woman For life) tells the court that he is not biased but if homosexuals don't repent then they will go to hell. Mogill asks him if he believes that engaging in homosexual acts causes eternal damnation. Allen says "Not repentant, yes".

State rested. Closing arguments at 10am.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The best part is that Allen spent the first half-hour going off on Rosenfield and talking about he wasn't biased like Rosenfield was, then BAM gays go to hell.

E. To be fair, his views in that respect wouldn't have been relevant if he had just stuck to data and done his job as an economist. But he made his whole speech about how everyone but him was biased, then it became relevant.
I'm happy he was willing to say that in open court, but does he realize that he pretty much blew up his own argument by admitting that? :psyduck: I'm not sure if it affects the case legally, but it's obvious he's biased as hell against gay people, so the judge probably won't give very much (if any) weight to his testimony.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

Movements is too hard to really pin down, but for actual legalization it's the Netherlands (2001), Belgium (2003) some provinces in Canada (2003), then Massachusetts getting fourth place with 2004.
I still find it odd that the US isn't going to be the last country dragging our rear end across the finish line on this issue. (Excluding the Middle Eastern/African/former Soviet Bloc countries; they're going backwards on gay rights:smith:) This is one case where the US's model of government works to our advantage, since it lets same-sex marriage get passed piece by piece, rather than all at once, with the Supreme Court likely taking care of the "nationwide" part.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dusseldorf posted:

Why is it odd?
Basically, the US is really really bad about not getting things the rest of the (first) world takes for granted. A livable minimum wage, nationalized healthcare (hell, we don't even have a loving public option), a national ID, pretty much anything with even a hint of "socialism" is treated as horrifying in America.

gently caress, we didn't even ratify the United Nations’ Disability Treaty because Republicans are such intransigent assholes.

quote:

America is the only member of the U.N., apart from Somalia and South Sudan, to not ratify the CRC. (It should be noted that both Somalia, a broken nation, and South Sudan, a new nation, are in the process of ratification.) America is also the only U.N. member, apart from Haiti, to not ratify the Basel Convention, which regulates the flow of hazardous waste from industrialized nations to developing ones. And that is an essential reason why the American government refuses to ratify the CRPD. Any international accord that can be perceived as diminishing American sovereignty is dismissed out of hand.

Install Windows posted:

You really wouldn't think this if you actually knew what Europe or indeed most of the world is like. The US has long been in the top 10 or so most progressive nations on LGBT rights.
So yeah, I'm nothing short of astonished that the US is somehow a leader in LGBT rights and will probably get national same-sex marriage before a lot of the developed world.

I'm happy we're doing so well on this issue, but it still surprises me.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dusseldorf posted:

Gay marriage doesn't have any hints of socialism and is a generally "libertarian-friendly" right.
You vastly underestimate just how retarded the Republicans are when talking about "socialism".

But yeah, gay marriage is extremely accepted among young people and real libertarians. (I actually use support of same-sex marriage to determine if someone's a real libertarian or a conservative pretending to be a libertarian.)

Install Windows posted:

Most countries don't have livable minimum wages either, it's kind of a major problem that again, you would know about if you ever looked into it. PS actual "socialist" countries didn't tend to really play nice with gay people either. Among most of them, the best you'd get was lack of legal action against you just for being gay, but you wouldn't get protection.
Oh I'm quite familiar with that part, I live in San Antonio, we recently had an amazing battle over our proposed non-discrimination ordinance. Councilwoman Elisa Chan became infamous for her homophobic and transphobic remarks, and the loving vitriol the opposition had to LGBT (especially Transgender, with full on "bathrooms":supaburn: fear-mongering) rights was nothing short of amazing. But, we did get the ordinance passed 8-3, so :toot:.

Okay I guess that sort of proves your point. Fine, just let me be amazed the US is doing something right the first time and in a timely manner, it doesn't happen very often.:v:

E: poo poo I didn't mean to cause a derail, I just wanted to explain why I found the US being a leader in LGBT rights amazing.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 14, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sweeney Tom posted:

Nobody was there to support the ban in court. State Attorney General refused to defend it. Judge asked questions focusing on how he should apply precedents from higher courts, and said he wouldn't rule until deciding on a request by NOM to defend the ban.
God, at what point will they just loving give up? If NOM is really that loving hot about it, they should defend the ban themselves, and if not, just shut up about it. Everyone knows what the endgame is, hell I think even NOM's admitted it, so this all feels like a bunch of pointless theater.

Crackbone posted:

Not exactly impressed somebody comes out in favor of gay marriage after it's demographically safe to do so.
Eh, I view it as a good indication of just how broad support for same-sex marriage has gotten if a professional wrestler can support it with no big controversy/fanfare. So, :toot:.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

cruft posted:

Dan Savage's little Santorum stunt is still the best thing, 11 years later. Rick has always been, and shall forever be, an rear end in a top hat.
That remains one of the greatest trolls ever.:allears: Dan Savage even offered Santorum an out: donate $5 million plus interest to Freedom to Marry, and the site comes down. Santorum has refused (there's no way in hell that he'll give up the fight) and so during the 2012 primaries, his "Google problem" once again made the news in hilarious fashion.

Thesoro posted:

Not quite true--if they run a wedding-related business, they will be forced to have an influx of paying customers.
Oh the horror, making money baking cakes for people you hate.

Why, you might you might have to deal with a horrible couple yelling at you for ten minutes that the cake's not right and that you have to redo it or the wedding will be ruined. Oh wait, that was a straight couple getting married, the gay couple earlier was perfectly happy with their cake and left without any problems.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

platedlizard posted:

Their death-throws are pretty hilarious.
That's throes,:cmon: you gotta label and enjoy NOM's death thrashing correctly.:allears:
Ahaha comments and ratings disabled, of course they are, NOM's almost cute now.:allears:

Here, have some Illinois gay marriage pictures:

That's Jim Darby and Patrick Bova, the guys who lead the suit challenging the ban.

:toot:

I'm still gonna upload a bunch of gay wedding pictures when San Antonio gets marriage equality, and show off the awesomeness that is my home city.:c00lbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Fixed. Good Citizen described my thoughts exactly in the May Politics thread:

Good Citizen posted:

I have a well developed ability to shrug off horrible GOP nonsense but this makes me legitimately angry. That gay aversion therapy poo poo absolutely without a doubt destroys lives and should be classified as torture. gently caress them and gently caress this.
My thoughts have not changed since this topic came up previously in the thread: I hate this poo poo with a burning passion. It's not enough for them to say "gay people shouldn't be married because :downswords:" they have to actively try to gently caress up gay people's lives by pretending that "you can be straight if you try really hard":fuckoff:.

It's that they're actively going out and loving up people's lives that makes me hate it so much. There's no accident or mistake, they're actively, purposefully doing something that is proven to psychologically damage and kill people, with absolutely no benefit. If all the people involved in this poo poo would literally sit at home and do absolutely nothing it would be an improvement; it takes a special kind of evil to actively go out every day and gently caress up someone's life.

Sweeney Tom posted:

North Dakota's lawsuit has been filed.

And then there were none.
This makes me happy though.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

"I was progressive all along, I just wanted the Gay Agenda to refine its arguments. I'm the midwife of your rights; dance, homosexualist puppets."
How much of a jig do you want us to dance? You pretty much got us nationwide gay marriage, I'll dance all day for that.:toot::holy::dance:

I think there is (or was) a better dancing emote, but I can't find it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

A petition drive has been started to get the needed 17,000 signatures to force a citywide referendum to repeal this ordinance. This must be done before the June 30th deadline. If you live in Houston and attend a church, put pressure on your pastor, deacons, and elders to secure signatures.
Oh how cute, they're also trying a recall petition.:allears: After San Antonio passed our Non-Discrimination ordinance, there was an attempt to recall both Mayor Julian Castro and Councilman Diego Bernal (he was the one who originally sponsored the ordinance). The recall later expanded to all 8 council members who voted in favor of the ordinance.

They tried the recall twice actually, and failed both times, but just look at the all the support they got, there's a whole six people there.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

sheri posted:

Wtf is this...

http://m.jsonline.com/262892731.htm

Can anyone with more legal knowledge comment on this?

Kalman posted:

Some states have penalties in their statutes for issuing marriage certificates contrary to state statute. Wisconsin is one of them, stating that you can be fined up to 10k or jailed for up to 9 months for knowingly issuing a marriage license in violation of the chapter defining valid marriages. (Wis. Stats. 765.30 specifically.)

It's almost certainly just Van Hollen talking big, though, especially with the knowing requirement.
You'd think that Van Hollen would know to shut the hell up about this given that Scott Walker was basically silent about Wisconsin's same-sex ban being declared unconstitutional only a couple of days ago. Please try this poo poo Van Hollen, it'll only backfire spectacularly for you.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Presto posted:

Mark Herring, the Virginia AG, is asking SCOTUS to review the lower court rulings striking down the bans. From the article, he wants this to be another Loving v. VA case.
Friendly reminder that Mark Herring won by only 907 votes. Without him, none of this would be happening in Virgina. Voting makes a difference.

Also let's have some fun theorizing:

What do you think the final SCOTUS ruling numbers on Gay Marriage nation-wide will be: 5-4, 6-3, 7-2, or 8-1? Scalia will never, loving ever rule in favor of gay marriage in any capacity (except when his dissent is accidentally used to argue in favor of it, aka the greatest troll ever:v:), so how many Republican justices get peeled off to finally end this poo poo and make mandatory gay marriages for everyone the law of the land?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

And even if that's what the Bible said I'm pretty sure that cancer isn't contagious :v:.
Actually, (in rare cases) it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonally_transmissible_cancer

Because nature says gently caress your rules, everything is transmittable, even cancer.

Also that's a big reason the Tasmanian Devil population has been declining so much, which really sucks.:(

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

On the one hand, way to be late to the party Obama and not speak up until more than half the country has gay marriage.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, the president of the goddamn United States of America thinks we should have nationwide (mandatory) gay marriage, and gay marriage is apparently going to be a settled issue before the 2016 election. When the gently caress did that happen?:aaaaa::hf::getin:

E: Seriously, if someone had told you 10, 15, 20 years ago that in the year 2014 the current United States president would endorse nationwide gay marriage, you'd think they were completely nuts.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 21, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So what's the new go-to state to make fun of? It can't be Mississippi anymore, since even goddamn Mississippi isn't going to be the last state across the gay marriage line.

Aha, Alabama.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 14, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JazzFlight posted:

So how bout that gay marriage, huh?

There's still a stubborn line of red preventing a line of Gay Marriage from Sea to Shining Sea, but we're getting closer.
E: Color code explanation:

Dark Blue: Same-sex marriage legal
Medium Blue: Same-sex marriage performed elsewhere recognized (Missouri)
Light Blue: Same-sex marriage legalization pending (South Carolina and Florida)
Beige: Judicial ruling(s) overturning a same-sex marriage ban stayed indefinitely pending appeal (Texas and Arkansas)
Light Red: Same-sex marriage banned contrary to federal circuit precedent (Montana)
Dark Red: Same-sex marriage banned

Chris James 2 posted:

Couples from Ohio filed a motion to the Supreme Court yesterday requesting a review of their case. Today, couples from Tennessee did the same. Couples from Michigan and Kentucky are expected to follow suit early next week.
The Michigan case has gone ahead, and it's possible the Supreme Court might pick this case as the one they rule on because it went through an actual trial:

quote:

The appeal from Detroit-area hospital nurses April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse calls on the court to overturn an appeals court ruling that upheld anti-gay marriage laws in Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee. Michigan officials have said they would not oppose Supreme Court review, but would vigorously defend a provision of the state constitution that prohibits same-sex marriage. The justices also will consider appeals from gay and lesbian plaintiffs in the other three states.

The Kentucky case also involves the right of sex-same couples to marry, but Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway has declined to defend the state ban and Gov. Steve Beshear has hired private attorneys to represent the state. The Ohio appeal focuses on the state's refusal to recognize out-of-state gay marriages because of its own ban, while the Tennessee case is narrowly focused on the rights of three same-sex couples.

Another reason the Michigan case could be attractive to the court is because it went through a full-blown trial. U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman in Detroit struck down the state ban in March. DeBoer and Rowse said they initially filed their federal lawsuit because they could not jointly adopt each other's children. Joint adoption is reserved for married heterosexual couples in Michigan.

They are raising three children, two of whom have special needs, DeBoer and Rowse told the Supreme Court.:3:
I know that would make Nostalgia4Infinity ecstatic.

Mississippi may soon join Oklahoma and Utah in the "Wait how the gently caress did that happen?" department and also get Gay Marriage, although there's almost certainly going to be a shitfit over it somewhere:

quote:

If Reeves issues the injunction, Mississippi will likely ask the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals for a stay, effectively halting gay couples from being able to marry yet again.
Can't be Misssissippi without having to dragged kicking and screaming across the progress line. Still, it means Mississippi can no longer be the default worst state. I think Georgia (Or Michigan) was floated as a replacement.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 18, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

What exactly do the colors mean on this (besides blue, that is).

Dark Blue: Same-sex marriage legal
Medium Blue: Same-sex marriage performed elsewhere recognized (Missouri)
Light Blue: Same-sex marriage legalization pending (South Carolina and Florida)
Beige: Judicial ruling(s) overturning a same-sex marriage ban stayed indefinitely pending appeal (Texas and Arkansas)
Light Red: Same-sex marriage banned contrary to federal circuit precedent (Montana)
Dark Red: Same-sex marriage banned

Missouri is kind of a clusterfuck, as is Kansas. Going by Wikipedia, same-sex marriage is legal in St. Louis, Missouri, and in Kansas, twelve counties are complying with a federal court order striking down Kansas's same-sex marriage ban.

quote:

November 4, 2014, a U.S. District Court judge ruled Kansas' ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional. His ruling was stayed as the state sought a stay pending appeal without success, and it took effect on November 12, 2014.
This would probably be a lot easier if Brownback had lost, but :(.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Thesoro posted:

the Maximum Hilarious Coast To Coast Gay Marriage Path is only three stays and an alabama from reaching fruition
Technically it's just two, Arkansas and Alabama:

This would mean that Gay Marriage would reach the coast via the hilariously improbable line of Oklahoma->Arkansas->Mississippi->Alabama->Florida

Also you had say "Coast To Coast" didn't you, now I can't point out that since Mississippi (as well as Texas) borders the Gulf of Mexico, either Arkansas or Texas would technically give us Gay Marriage from sea to shining sea.

• Locked thread