Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I bought a second hand Rpi2 from eBay about 4 months ago and it's been languishing in a drawer.

I had it running and got bored of trying to get WiFi working on it (Edimax EW-7811UN) and it's been sitting around a while.

Last night I dug it out and tried flashing Raspbian Jessie (2015-09-24-raspbian-jessie.img) to the SD card and it's giving a quick green flash but nothing's appearing on port 22. IIRC I had it working with the official Wheezy distro when I last used it and I seem to remember it being a bit temperamental with booting but I put that down at the time to the WiFi adaptor drawing too much power.

I've tried both Jessie and Wheezy a few times but neither are booting. I've tried both with and without WiFi to eliminate that and tried two MicroSD cards: both the same model by Samsung (16GB Evo class 10) but no joy. I'm also using a better power source from Amazon that was described as being OK for a Pi.

Is it my choice of SD card or could it have an intermittent fault and someone's sold it? Is there a foolproof boot image out there that I could flash and if I get it booting is there a package to flash any firmware on the Pi2 itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I suppose I could but I only have a crappy TV spare to plug it into. I have an old monitor on my server but it's so old it doesn't have HDMI.

I've ordered a 16GB SanDisk MicroSD which should be arriving in a day or two, so if that does the trick then it must be incompatibility with the Samsung cards. I'll keep you posted.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Good news. the SanDisk card has arrived and seems to be working fine!

I first tried booting with the Samsung card, in case this is an intermittent hardware fault: still a brief green LED and no boot.

Then I flashed Raspbian Jessie to the new SanDisk card and everything seems to be good. I'll try leaving the Pi on for a few days to see if any intermittent problems occur, but everything seems fine after an hour.

So, to reiterate: I think there's an incompatibility problem with the Samsung 16GB Evo MicroSD on the Pi2.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, and I tried using dd too. I have two identical Samsung cards bought on separate occasions and they are both problematic. They'll be getting used for media storage instead.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

The Bible posted:

That's the only card I use on the pi2.

The Sandisk cards nearly always error out when I try to dump an image on them.

Strange. I did pull the power on the Samsung cards when they refused to boot at least once or twice as I had no other option: how do you close down a system "properly" that's refusing to boot correctly. Maybe I have induced a fault there then.

The SanDisk image is still running fine some 12 hours later.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I had a similar issue the other day with chmod 666 when I tried to copy from USB on the machine I was sitting at. The files on USB had been copied using a different Linux installation. I solved it by using 777, although I've no idea why. Give 777 a try. Im not exactly Torvalds incarnate, though, so some people may tell you that this is a bad idea.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've also got fail2ban with key file access only. No problems so far. I haven't changed port 22 because it's fun to view the logs and see the ever growing list of banned IP's.

I'm under the impression that the Pi2 is fully compatible with the Pi in terms of processing and chipset operation. I've not experienced any problems running Raspbian Wheezy or Jessie on both my Pi and Pi2: just try it out and you should be fine.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
A J1800 Baytrail mobo inside an ancient tower case has served me well as a home server the last 2 years+.

Pros: fanless, very low power, can deliver 1080 video using Plex at about 80% CPU load in Linux.

Cons: only 2 SATA ports.

I'd imagine the newer Braswell ones have a bit more oomph in the CPU department.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I'm looking for a way to power my Pi from mains voltage, without having to use a cumbersome phone style charger.

I want to have 240v AC (UK mains) coming in on two wires, going through an AC->DC converter in-line with the cable, coming out to a microUSB powering the Pi. I've tried searching on Amazon but I'm either using the wrong terms or there's nothing available due to possible safety issues (people zapping themselves through not turning mains voltage off first).

There's got to be a major use case for this kind of adaptor, so I don't know why I can't find one. Any ideas?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've got it running on a phone charger at the moment. It's for a project involving switching a boiler on and off.

This is my setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1QhqZyoLbA

As you can see, I have a standard phone charger bagged up inside the boiler at the moment. I'm not looking for anything as slim as the cable itself: just something maybe the size of a matchbox in line with the cable would do. While the inside of the boiler doesn't get much warmer than room temperature (excess heat is evacuated through a flue at the rear) I think it would be a much smarter job with something smaller in there.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
That looks better than the one I'm using. The idea of a cable based solution is to eliminate the need to have the other half in the cabinet also: I've got a UK socket wired to the 240V feed from the boiler switch junction, hence the reason I have a bag taped around the socket/plug combo.

If I had a cable I could wire it straight into the chocolate block connector on the boiler's switch box. The only bulky item would be whatever transformer circuit is built into the cable. I'm assuming this would be much smaller than the current solution.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've just moved home and I don't have Internet piped into my router yet. All of the devices connected to my router are currently living in their own segregated microcosm. I've used key based auth on the Pi before and that was one of the things on my todo list when I finally get Internet.

As for the bag: it's a stopgap solution until I find something better, hence my original question about an in line cable.

Edit: Thanks for the advice. I replied when I'd just woke up and realised my reply sounded a bit cunty.

DeaconBlues fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 10, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks for the tips. Both the euro socket and built in USB options look great.

I've actually dismantled my modifications and put the boiler back to stock now. I was reading the service section of the boiler manual and there's a warning in there about invalidating the warranty, so I got concerned and put the lovely rotary timer back, as new.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I found yet another cool use for the Pi yesterday: Steam Link.

If you use Steam on your PC and have an Nvidia 700 series and above GPU (some 600 series are also supported) you can play games in another room on your TV.

I used this guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/220969/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-steam-machine-with-moonlight/

and was surprised when everything ran perfectly on first run without even having to tinker with display modes.

It's not exactly a new thing, but heads up to anyone who might get some mileage out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

Pilsner posted:

What's the point of this when a Steam Link box is $50? Not being sarcastic. I'm also a bit confused about the mixup of Nvidia Shield and the Steam Link in the article?

I have a Pi, but it's dedicated as a Kodi media center. I read it's not normal to use a Pi for more than one primary application?

I also use my Pi2 as a Kodi box, attached to my large TV. I have a separate MicroSD card sat underneath the Pi2. This separate MicroSD has the moonlight setup on it. If I fancy playing a game I just power down Kodi and swap cards. One device: two uses, with little effort.