Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Question about kickstarter: When I pledge money, do they bill me now, or when the collection period ends? I know they don't get any money if they don't meet their goal (not a problem in this case) but I hate having payments outstanding (i.e. money in my bank account that's already spoken for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This may be a dumb question, but has it been announced what the launch price is gonna be? I need to know how much to budget to get 3 copies (GOG for a backup drm free installer and the goodies, Steam because I like having all my games on Steam, Steam copy for my roommate who didn't even know about the Kickstarter)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sardonik posted:

Absolutely, so long as you use the save and quit menu option, and don't just close the program window.

Oh so there is a save option? I thought the dev team said something to the effect of "being able to save goes against the roguelike atmosphere we're aiming for" or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

That's a lie. I've played the Steam version for hours after buying through the dev site. It's probably that it doesn't go up for sale on Steam until then.

Uh, he said that the key does already work. So either you misread, or you're saying "The steam key doesn't work, but I'm playing it on Steam".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Paradoxish posted:

The whole thing has me weirded out a little bit. I mean, what's the upshot for Valve here? There's literally no reason to buy through Steam instead of buying straight from the developer.

If people don't already know about the game (from the Kickstarter, word of mouth, whatever), then the first and only place they'll see it is on Steam. While everyone on this thread knows that you can get it from the Devs, John Q. Gamer probably doesn't.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bhodi posted:

People like me who already have an account and credit card information in one place for games I play and buy (steam), and am happy to keep it in one place, especially considering it's activated on steam anyway? I can wait the (checks time) 13 more minutes.

To be fair, the devs are using the humble store to sell the game, so they accept PayPal and Amazon payments, no need to give your credit card info to anyone else.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there any tips besides "go to rock homeworld, hope you get extra lucky" for killing 15 rock ships as the Bravais? Because I typically see three to five in a game. If I'm lucky.

I would almost think a dedicated playthrough just for that achievement would be the best way to do it...only real way I can see to ensure that many encounters would be to ignore the oncoming rebel fleet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wildtortilla posted:

Some times enemy ships have a green bar next to their shield bubbles, what is that bar?

I don't know what the proper in-universe term is, but I've taken to calling it a "super shield". Until you take out that green bar, you won't be hitting their normal shields, and the "super shield" does deflect missiles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ditocoaf posted:

Also, the three-stage thing wouldn't work if killing all the crew members functioned like it does against other ships.

Possibility:

If you kill all the crew, the ship jumps away to a rebel controlled system or ship in the fleet, re-crews and has a full/slightly less than full crew for phase 2. If you kill the crew on phase 2, same thing happens. Kill the crew on phase 3, then let the AI kick in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm perfectly satisfied with what I've got from FTL. I'm not asking for more content for free. I would just gladly give them another $10 if it would get me 3 new ships (with A and B layouts), a couple dozen more events and a handful of items/weapons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just pulled a 21mb patch. Anyone have any ideas what it is? I'm not having any luck finding patch notes (related note: I would love Valve to make it mandatory for all patches distributed through Steam to have notes)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That link also confirms C layouts for 8 of the stock ships, backup batteries, and the ability to man the Doors and Sensors stations. Also you can rename crew midgame!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

odiv posted:

Just told someone about the free expansion and iPad version and he complained about having to pay for the iPad even though he "already bought it". I almost hit him upside the head.

Was it out on iPad at all before now? If not, no he did not already pay for it. The entitlement of some gamers pisses me off...it's like the Alpha buyers of Minecraft trying to get the console and mobile versions for free due to the promise of "all future updates free"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lester Shy posted:

I haven't played this game in well over a year, so I can't remember; didn't running out of fuel used to lead to a game over? If so, being able to send out a distress signal now is a nice feature.

I can't swear to it "always" having been a feature, but the distress beacon was definitely not an Advanced Edition feature.

• Locked thread