Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

tolerabletariff posted:

I've played the demo of this and it's fairly fun, but it definitely needs some work...

"Big Ship" sims are exactly my kind of game, really like the idea of commanding one large ship in space. Not much in that category, and I was hoping for some suggestions... EV Nova is great but I've played it to death, I-War is a little dated and doesn't seem that free-form. Have enjoyed SPAZ but it is getting a little repetitive, Starpoint Gemini was... decent, and I cannot wait for Starfarer to come out.

From the ones you mentioned, Starshatter and Nexus look good. Anyone else have any recommendations for a game like that?

You could try Universal Combat which I just found out is apparently free now. It's the latest Battlecruiser game and while I remember it being pretty bad, it's got a couple of things worth seeing. From what I recall, it has a pretty detailed crew and subsystems management as well.

I really wanted to like this game, I loved the idea that you could land on any planet or moon, even fly around in a gas giant's atmosphere. You could do stuff like set your big gently caress-off battleship to orbit a planet, go down in a shuttle, land on the surface and roll out in an armored transport or just walk around in your spacesuit. I can't think of any other space game that could do something like that, apart from the Elite series and maybe Noctis.

As I said though, it's a pretty bad game. I mean, I can suffer through a lot of poo poo (I think) and I played quite a few buggy, badly translated games with horrible UI just because they had something unique or interesting about them, but I couldn't get through Battlecruiser...

Here you can get the first three games in the series for free:
http://www.3000ad.com/download/

Nexus is a great, beautiful game though, you'll love it. It's the ultimate 'big ships pew pew pew explosions in space' game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread