Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So this is basically North Star, the Sundog style sim Kerberos wanted to make before Sword of the Stars 2. That's pretty awesome. A real shame about the Onlive thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dipes posted:

How is the production value for the game? They have $200k to spend so I'm wondering what they are spending it on.

I'm kinda wondering where all the money went too. So far this is pretty much just a completed version of what they had as a demo. If hiring the writer was a good portion of their budget they're loving idiots, because that means they spent real money on a video game "writer" for a roguelike.

But then no save option also points to the "morons" option.

On a more game related note, is anyone else feeling like the threat wave is over the top in terms of speed? I originally thought it was basically the hunger mechanic other roguelikes have (something to keep you moving), but hunger works much slower. Then I realized they already have a more direct hunger analogue in Fuel, so they've actually got two hunger mechanics at once.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Xik posted:

This time though I had 8 crew members. I could have really used the ability to sell them, another weapon or two would have been much more useful. The Kestrel is definitely easier then that drone ship, the ability to target specific system is critical which drones don't allow you to do.

I agree with the crew member selling, if only to give you an option to get rid of them without having to order them into the airlock and open the doors.

Torus seemed much easier to me though, but maybe that's just because I managed to loot a third EMP cannon and a beam drone early (1 pulse and 1 beam drone kills shieldless poo poo fast).

Also, Zoltans are the best thing ever - followed closely by Space Slugs!.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Beef posted:

You also cannot sell drone parts or missiles. I guess I don't get the point of the game either.

You can actually - there's random trader encounters that let you turn batches of 5 into scrap.

As for the Mantis Ship Unlock my guess is you need to board it and kill all the crew. Take it intact.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Actually it might be a good idea to vent your ship before the fires pop up and just keep air in the rooms you have crew in.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tighran posted:

Actually, I wonder if the life support systems actually generate oxygen radiating FROM the O2 room, or just universally throughout the ship. I'd suspect that latter but might be worth testing...

O2 is spread universally in every sealed room. That means when you jump into a sun, pause, hit the "open all doors" button and manually seal the rooms with your guys in them. Instant fireproofing for the entire ship. I also do that when I'm fighting in nebulae, because with disabled sensors you won't even see a fire being started in a non-occupied room.

And for extra gently caress-you: On a ship with nano med dispensers, when boarded, collect all your dudes, send em into a single room and vent the rest of the ship. Watch boarders choose between death-by-vacuum or a fight against your collected crew at once.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I am almost 100% certain that some enemy subsystems don't react to EMP - including O2 systems. I've kept an enemy O2 system disabled with EMP for several minutes with no change in enemy oxygen or crew health.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The cloaking change means stuff doesn't auto-miss when you cloak as the shot is splitseconds from hitting. It provides 100% protection before the enemy shoots (they can't target you), +60% evasion to shots just fired and no protection whatsoever if the shots are already past the miss calculation border (the borders of the shield bubble).

On another note: The Mark 2 Antiship Drone is very nice when combined with another offensive drone and cloak.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah that's not even the new beam. The new one punches through multiple shield layers. (Halberd goes through 1 layer)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

Whoa, I had no idea beam weapons went through shields! I thought shields just stopped them dead. Do they pop the shield or just go through without bringing it down?

They just go through - and get -1 damage for every shield. So the 1-damage beams get stopped by 1 layer, etc.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ted_himself posted:

It's early days. They need to work something in like you can ambush with the cloak - like having a free pre-igniter or something like that.

But that's what you have. If you cloak right when the battle starts you're getting a preigniter. Your weapons charge, while the enemy weapons do not (because guns don't charge if the opponent is cloaked).

What I'd love to see as a stealth buff is giving any weapons fire from cloak and about a second or so after 100% hit chance. That's ambushy and unique.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ChewyLSB posted:

Aren't people already saying that Cloak is too powerful compared to the other upgrades? Do we really need to make it stronger?

It was too strong on defense because you could wait until stuff was a pixel from hitting you, then cloak to become invulnerable. That no longer works, even if your evade + cloak is still 100% dodge - the patchnotes just didn't mention that change.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's really a bad roguelike though. A good roguelike shows you exactly what you're up against, what your options are and what the odds on your options are. FTL gives you a random chance to succeed or fail (dialogue, hidden enemy dodge) with no way to check the odds.

Still a fun game, but a really bad roguelike.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

LordSloth posted:

The lack of information is a key, yet not universal, facet of many roguelikes good and bad. The item identification minigame is a key facet of this, and shines in Dungeon Crawl, POWDER, and Shiren (DS).

I disagree with any likening to the identification minigame many roguelikes have to the hidden stuff in FTL for the simple reason that the manual ident in stuff like Stone Soup is randomized each time - the game is built around the fact that players will not know what scrolls and potions do when they find them.

In FTL poo poo like the "you found a crazy person" and "nebula boarders! nebula free dude! nebula space fight!" (the last ones are results of a single encounter blurb) is just random gently caress-you-player.

Sometimes with non-random outs that you don't get told about - but the game's difficulty being designed around you knowing about those hidden ways to "solve" encounters.
To bring it back to the identification system comparison, it's as though "red potions" are always health potion (or have a fixed 50% chance to be health potions) but still get unidentified back to "red potion" everytime you started the game.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 27, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

emoticon posted:

Yeah, the whole point and fun of rogue-likes is that a lot of the time you can be perma-killed completely out of the blue unless you memorize everything about the game (in which case you'll only be perma-killed some of the time). Rogue-likes encourage replays and reward knowledge.

They encourage replays because they're fun, have permadeath and are generally fairly short. Killing the player out of the blue for no reason is terrible gamedesign A to Z. The only games that get away with that are platformer style games that only take seconds to get back to where you were - and even those don't have *random* bullshit deaths.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Turn 1 death by random trap is like a roguelike tradition. The Idle Thumber playing on that has some real trouble with O2, mostly because he just refuses to pause. All in all, a good representation of what the game is like.

Whoever didn't get in on the Kickstarter, watch those videos.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You missed something about the B-Torus: It has A Drone Reactor booster, for faster drone movement.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I wonder if they'll remember to remove (or implement) the non-functional "continue playing" button after the boss. It teases an endless mode that I'm pretty sure they don't wanna have anymore.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If you come across a slaver ship, always fight them. They will always offer you a free crew member when they're heavily damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

With the exception that the AI doesn't fight you in boarding battles so in subsequent rounds you can beam dudes over to wreck the drone room or whatever without any resistance.

The AI doesn't need oxygen, so you can't set it on fire and it auto-repairs all systems at all times without the need for crew.

• Locked thread