Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm only on about page 125 or something, but I just pulled this victory out of my rear end:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I should have taken a screenshot of this but did I ever end up with the holy trinity of :black101: on Crystal A:

Upgraded Teleporter with 1 crystal 2 mantis..and a human but whatever
Heal Bomb
Glaive Beam
Ion Blast II

and the Crystal guns but who cares. It was murder central for the entire run, carved the boss up like it was no big thing. Best run yet.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Still, extra scrap!

This is all that matters BURN IT ALL :black101:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shine posted:

I'm sad to report that there is no achievement for having your entire crew on the Flagship when it explodes.

The fact that you even tried this is admirable.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Leylite posted:

Yup, that's part of the fun of playing the Stealth B! Your reward for managing to get that shields system is to use the Glaive Beam without feeling guilty at all, since it's extremely rare to install a Glaive Beam on any other ship.

One trick that might help is that you can actually do a bit of damage through Zoltan Shields with your first Glaive Beam.

For ships with attack drones, the general strategy is to pause, look at the angle of the drone, tank a few hits if they aren't aimed at your cloak or weapons, and then cloak once the drones are aimed at the weapons and/or the main ship's weapons have fired.

But yes, the Stealth B is a pretty hard ship to play. Good thing repairs only cost 2 scrap in early sectors!

Everyone should watch the video for the last 5 seconds for some good :lol:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just had my first win on normal with Mantis B. It was a one in a million run, I got a glaive beam on something like my third jump which I was able to immediately sell to buy a burst laser II. A couple sectors later I got another burst laser II and later a 2 damage beam weapon. I got a second defence drone, a scrap arm and got a drone recovery arm in an event.

That's the kind of setup you have to actively gently caress up to lose with, god drat

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

resistentialism posted:

The crystal ships are ok but the crystal crew themselves make boarding really really easy. The B ship has a 4 person teleporter to go with it.

2-3 Crystal with 1-2 Mantis boarding crew is so OP I can't believe it exists in this game. Beam in, immediately lock up the room (weapons 99% of the time), kill whatever poor bastard was probably in there, and then decimate that station in about 5s.

Let everyone in and then lock them down the moment before one of them tries to run for the med bay :black101:

Just thinking about it makes me giggle.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AugmentedVision posted:

You misspelled "accurate".

I'm amazed anyone took the troll bait with this one. Come on you all should know better.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've gone from doing about 50+% success on normal to getting completely owned the last 5 times I've played since the update. The new stuff is so much fun though I'm not even mad :sun:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shield is usually the last thing I'd go hack too. Weapons to buy that extra few seconds before you can knock em out, counter hack, pilot to drop them to no evasion, teleport them home, etc etc. Shields if had a ton of beam weapons but otherwise much better ways to use it. I imagine this is on purpose since otherwise it would always be hack shields and go sick.

I did finally win a round with a flak I, flak II, and.. I forget but with all that flak and a hack on the pilot it was like shutgunning fish in a barrel. Getting a win with no cloak or teleport was weird

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's obvious but in case you wanted to try and gamble with the new rebel fleet: loving don't.

I had a beautiful lantis A run where I was loaded with weapons, crew, and full hp go to complete poo poo cause I misread the map and had to go through them to reach the exit. 3rd jump finally finished me of :(

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I feel like the update made the Anti-Bio beam a little gimped. Now there are weapons that can stun enemies outright which is more tactically useful than trying to kill them in two passes. Cloning bay means killing off crew isn't as reliable anymore. It needs shields to be down to work, and is overshadowed by Fire beam which will probably end up doing as much damage to crew plus the fires suck out air and damage systems.

See my first thought to that is make sure their clone bay is off/yours is working, get everyone fighting in the same spot, and obliterate everyone in one bloodbath of a shot :sun:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

Has anyone found a use for the repair burst? I can't imagine that thing ever being very practical

I would have wanted that anytime my shields took big old missile hit and I needed them back NOW.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

^^^
Hey mantis boarding & mind control buddy!

Hey flaghip:

GET hosed :black101:

The game had been kicking my rear end for a few round now and finally got one of those magical sessions. Not seen is a zoltan bypass :D As a final gently caress you I hammered the last guy with that burst laser to make sure he died as the ship went boom bwhahahaha.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

babies havin rabies posted:

I thought I read somewhere that this game was supposed to sync your achievements/saved game in Steam Cloud now? Whenever I close it I see it syncing, but my process isn't reflected on my laptop or anything, it's still its own instance. Is something just going wrong with my install or what?

Or was I just dreaming that they put this in or something?

I play on 3 different computers and they all sync everything except a Save & Quit actual save game.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

No cloak? No mind control? no teleporter? gently caress it max out the engines and go all out!

I only had power in the clone bay cause someone just died and it was after a super weapon shot. I even got the 600 scrap achievement on this run. If you want another reason to max out your engines in this game it allows you to run away from the fleet's ASB before it can fire.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can I say gently caress Engi B forever? Getting into sector THREE with that thing is a bitch, never the less sector 8. You have to get a new weapon or combat drone by Sector 3 or you're just plain hosed with the heavy laser I & Heavy Ion. You simply can't bring down 2 shield pips, most the others ships are in trouble at that point but not impossible.

I least finally unlocked Engi C so I will never use that hunk of poo poo again.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Leylite posted:

Yeah, that is a big problem. At least the Engi B is slightly less terrible in AE, since multi-page shops means it's more likely for any one store to be selling weapons, and hacking can temporarily bring down shields.

On the other hand, if your single crew member gets mind controlled, well...

I wish this stupid ship had hacking built in. it should have that or MC to least give you a prayer somehow. Or anything besides heavy ion that weapon is the worst.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

Holy hell I hate the Mantis A. I was so excited to use it when I unlocked a Mantis ship but it's lack of firepower is such a liability if you face a situation where you can't comfortably board, or face an automated drone.

Is it Mantis A that also gives you a boarding drone? You send that guy over to the auto ship and watch it slowly hit everything. Anytime it puts a system in the red it does 1 hull hp of damage. The drone eventually auto repairs, your drone goes and smacks that system back into the red and does hull damage again. Eventually boom.

Also with lvl2 teleport you can send non rock/crystal/lantis crew over as long as you immediately bring them back once the teleport cool down is over.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

a!n posted:

My only consolation is coming from the fact that this isn't Engi B. :negative:

Yes embrace the Engi hate. :glomp:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I love the Mantis B so much.

Also had a Distraction Buoys that I sold in sector 7 on top of reconstructive teleporting. I don't think I could have asked for a better setup short of Flak flak flak + Weapon Pre-Igniter.

Tip: If you have max engines, you can pretty much ignore running into the rebel fleet. Long as you're willing to take the risk the combat ship might hit something important you can always jump out before the ASB fires. So the later sectors are a good place to farm a few extra beacons if you feel you can pull it off.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Davincie posted:

Probably my best ship ever. It had a weapon pre-igniter and a reconstructive teleport too.

Holy moly :stare: Only thing I could think to add to that is a heal bomb just for maximum boarding goodness and maybe a hull drone just incase you somehow take any real damage. Not that any of that is needed.

Oh and a crystal guy :getin:

Edit: time to play crystal B again and gently caress up weapon rooms drat this thread.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

So what you're saying is the Lanier was the perfect cherry on top of the Sunday that is FTL: Bend Over?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bogart posted:

Maybe try detaching yourself from the Ion Blast. Some people swear by it, but I'd trade a good missile unit for it easy.

Ion II is one of the best things in the game, it's a sure way to depower shields permanently. In this case it's what you use to make sure you can use your other weapons to knock out missiles, drones, etc.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I need to stop reading this thread it just gets me to boot up FTL to try whatever goofy poo poo you all talk about.

Like going on a afternoon cruise in the USS Crystal Murderboat

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Engi B needs a different weapon(s) big time. Replacing the Heavy with Burst Laser I would least give it some punch for the early sectors but no more than most the other ships. IE 2 shield pips is tricky, 3 is impossible.

This guy from the FTL forum basically got it:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21940
http://s775.photobucket.com/user/Noobjuice123/media/FTL/Ares/AresWR_zpsd641cb86-1-1.png.html

Dual Laser instead of heavy, defense drone I instead of a 2nd repair drone, and an autopilot. Bang now that ship is functional I should put this mod in.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 1, 2014

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm ok with the defensive drone as it's not the only ship with them and even with that you have to manage your drone parts, you'll run out eventually if you don't pick and choose the times you want to deploy it. Moreso if shipboard drones are getting taken out from boarders also.

Duuk posted:

You need to more or less forget about drones for a while and get lucky with weapons.

The problem is the ship can't deal with 2 pip shield ships so once you start seeing those and you haven't found another weapon you're screwed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I'm not sure if I've found a glitch or a Star Trek reference, but when you mind control a guy who is just about to teleport, he'll make a copy and you'll have one mind controlled enemy on their ship beating up the teleporter while his clone beams to your ship and tries to wreck up the place.

I'm going to vote bug on that one, but if it was on purpose it'd be the best thing

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

How to make Engi B not suck: replace the stupid thing because it's bad.

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21940

Welp crap doesn't work with AE stuff :(

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 10, 2014

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Always sell the vengeance its utter crap

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I've decided Engi B isn't so bad. You just have to survive long enough in Sector 1 to find a store and do something really silly like this.

Flak's the best weapon.

Sure anything becomes a great ship when you have 3 of the best weapons in the game from the start. I stand by my statement that the Engi B is a pile of metal garbage and should be launched into the nearest star :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Lanius are not particularly good boarders there air gimmick thing is fairly insignificant when it comes to enemy ships, and even if it was we are talking maybe 15 or so more damage compared to a "normal" boarder.

A mantis would be much more in even less time. Honestly one or so lanius crewmen is plenty, anymore is just a detriment.

Their air sucking factor does stack, which is why have 2 of them in room will kill/scatter enemy crew while they're still at 50% health

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Whew. Let's go. Let's do this. I'M READY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LbJJ4F2GQ

edit:

Could you not eat a jump on the timer and get the hell out soon as your shields got hacked?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Slug B is literally the worst ship in the game. Engi B doesn't even come close to it, neither does Feddie C. It's incredible how terrible it is, the only redeeming feature is the number of open system slots it has.

I beat hard mode with Engi B in less than half a dozen tries. I've lost at least 40 times with Slug B by sector 2.

Wrong Engi B is objectively the worst ship in the game :colbert: How can you not make a teleporter and a missle start work?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

Rock A is the worst ship in the game*. Contenders are Slug B and Engi B. All 3 do start with an augment you can sell, so that's a wash.

Rock A has loving NOTHING USEABLE. And you have one sector to overhaul your entire weapon system before you run out of missiles. The hump Rock A has to get over is bigger than what the other two have to, so it's the worst.

You do have a point there I've never really botherd with Rock A because I took one look at that weapon system and went Nope

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't wait for the android version to come out

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I hadn't played in a year and randomly decided to give this game a go and finally beat Kestral C. The game handed me the following, most of it very early:

Flack II
Defense Drone I
Virus crewmember
Hull Drone
Boarding Drone
Small Bomb
Drone recovery arm
Anti-Bio Beam(!)
Fire Bomb

on top of buying a scrap arm in the 1st sector. Needless to say I bought drones and pretty much took no damage until the Flagship. Which hacked my weapons, my weapons again, and then my shields. That point I had to gut it out in phase 1 with my shields hacked and still pulled the win off on Normal. :feelsgood:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the flak was in storage for the first chunk of the game and then it became my sure fire way to bring shields down to kill systems or turn crew into piles of ash. That charge time sucks but it was the only heavy hitting weapon I saw.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tai posted:

So I've had this game for around 6 weeks and I've still yet to finish it on easy :sad:
This is very normal, this is a Very Hard and Very Random game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I finally finished Rock A after getting weapons dropped on me in Sector 1 before my missles ran out yet again. Which is good as later in the game I ran into two ships back to back that both had Defense Drone I and Defense Drone IIs going. I mean I still Noped out of those fights but I'd never see one of those before never the less two.

Oh that same game since it was the 3rd jump I got the spider event with no blues and went for it and won it :stare:

• Locked thread