Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
:siren: FTL: Advanced Edition out! It features mind control, Chris Avellone's writing, new weapons, and so on! :siren:

https://vimeo.com/79104930

FTL is out! Buy it at the game's website or GOG.com or Steam or the App Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EoWRQ1-W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_mUnYb928

What is FTL?

FTL describes itself as a roguelike-like spaceship simulator. You're in charge of a spaceship that jumps from location to location, encountering all sorts of crazy stuff each time you jump. Your ship is on the run from an enemy fleet and you must reach your home empire or whatever and warn it of the approaching fleet. Along the way, you will meet aliens, pirates, traders, nebulas, asteroid fields, and alien pirates attacking alien traders in astroid fields. They call themselves a roguelike because (from their FAQ):

quote:

We use the term loosely, mostly just as a representation for some of the main thematic elements of the genre. This includes permadeath, randomly generated game worlds, relatively short play sessions (15-60 minutes), and a single-player focus.

So, a bunch of frantic jumps through space, ending with your ship exploding.

The real fun is in the details. You get to order all your little crewmen around to the various stations, putting out fires, repelling intruders, and manning the ship's systems so that you can shoot at the enemy and so on. Each crew member gets better at whatever it is they're doing, so as you go on, your pilot gets better at piloting, your engineer gets better at repairing the engines, and so on. Meanwhile, on your journey you will continually find new parts to retrofit your ship with, like missile launchers, drone systems, beam lasers, and so on.

You can teleport crew members onto enemy ships to kill their crew and sabotage their systems, but watch out - the enemy can board you, too! If you get boarded, or if you ship catches on fire, sometimes it's best to lock everything down and open some bulkhead doors to let the cold, uncaring vacuum of space take care of everything.

Important Things

Above images by Dog Toggle Switch

Above images by Diet Coke

By h_double

Above two by Nigel Davis

Above two by Martin Lutz

FAQ

Will there be more FTL? DLC? Expansion? Sequel?
The Advanced Edition is out - that's probably all there is, but they've said they're maybe thinking about an Android version.

I Wish My Mantis Wasn't Named Remo
This mod by Tommofork replaces all the names with people who have posted in this thread. This mod by NotInventedHere replaces them with names from sci-fi movies and TV shows.

My Beams Aren't Penetrating Enemy Shields! I Was Promised Full On Hot Penetration Action!
Some of the damage of a beam weapon makes it through enemy shields. If the weapon has low or no damage (a Bio-Beam has 0 damage, for instance) it will not penetrate.

I Got to the Boss and WTF Do I Do Now?
The game explains it in the flavor text at the end and also to the left of the map when you jump, but: You need to take the fight to enemy flagship. Jump towards it and engage it before it reaches your base.

How Do I Unlock Other Ships?
There are hints in the ship select menu. If you want spoilers, the wiki has you covered. If you're lazy, you can download this profile save file and stick it in your save folder. Thanks Headline!

Unlocking the Crystal ship is bullshit
Yeah, it is. This save file is one that starts at the end of sector 1 with a universe where it's possible to unlock the ship.

Can I Mod the Game?
There are some primitive mods available which are summarized in this thread and hopefully at this wiki page. Infinite Space is worth a look - it takes the ending out and makes the game go on forever.

Anything Else?
The official forums are a good place to check if you want to know anything else about the game.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

How much does this resemble the Space station 13 game goons always go nuts about?

It's not multiplayer, which is one huge difference. It's also probably a little less detailed. SS13 seems to me to be part social game, part space game. This is like, 100% space game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And from what I know of SS13, you control a character, right? In this you're controlling the crew of your spaceship, rather than one person.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

iolo_the_bard posted:

Question about kickstarter: When I pledge money, do they bill me now, or when the collection period ends? I know they don't get any money if they don't meet their goal (not a problem in this case) but I hate having payments outstanding (i.e. money in my bank account that's already spoken for).

They bill you when the collection period ends. Don't pledge until the day before or something.

In other news I got around to playing this on OnLive. It was quite a bit of fun. It felt a little limited, as in I was doing more or less the same thing every fight and just sort of hoping nothing major caught on fire, but since this is the unfinished game, I imagine the added stuff will make it more fun. And there's no question that ordering your crew around to put out fires and repair the shields while enemy lasers and missiles shoot at you and asteroids smash into you is something that I've wanted out of a videogame for a long time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
X3 also lets you do the whole "big ship" thing. Other than that I'm drawing blanks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New video describing some of the features they've added since the demo, including cloaking, boarders, and transporters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLcc2p_PXZg

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nobody except the OP, but back then they hadn't earned like, a zillion dollars. I wonder what they're going to do with all the money: presumably they had plans for $10k worth of work, and maybe that could scale way up to $50k or something, but once you've got yourself in excess of $100,000 to add stuff to your game, that seems like the time to really sit down and think up some really crazy stuff you can try out now that you've got a financial cushion.

Or maybe it's all going to go into marketing. Who knows!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Anticheese posted:

How do you have an economy and trading game when the entire point of the game is running from an inexorable wall of death? :crossedarms:

The only resources you really need are crewmen, weapons, ship parts, fuel, and whatever the other thing is. There's already trading in those groups. :colbert:

Well, think about it as a metaphor for life. All of us are constantly running from the inevitable end that our mortality prefigures, but in the journey towards the eventual nothingness that awaits us in death, we engage in a number of activities, including economic ones, in some attempt to ward off the end. Does the rich person die any less than the poor person? Does each dollar you earn grant you some purchase in existence? No, but we keep it up, because the sense of progress we get from creating and earning serves to replace the sense of an inevitable progression towards the end.

On the other hand you're right that I don't think a spaceship on the run from a massive death fleet is going to worry about buying 5 tons of space coffee at .16 space dollars per oz and selling the space coffee for .18 space dollars per oz. It's going to be too busy not getting blown the gently caress up by asteroids because the shields are down after the robot drone beamed over and killed the pilot making the ship unable to evade the missile targeting the ship's power generator.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Plus another video showing off a different ship.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pochoclo posted:

When you think about it, 100k is peanuts if you're funding a half-decent development team. Most projects of this scope take at least a year to complete. They can pull it off with so little because they're indie and putting a lot off their own pockets.

They live in China, so maybe cost of living is fairly low in whatever city they're in?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Third video released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHuG4Qgbxc

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nice. Looks like their goal is 6 types of player ships minimum, with the maximum being however many they can make before the game comes out.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New video with a preview of the new ship:

https://vimeo.com/41472447

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Writing is also an easy thing to add without requiring any new game design/art/etc. So, they don't have to modify their original plan and they don't have to overtax their artist.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It does seem like you have to be an incredibly entitled-feeling developer to not allow players to quit the game without losing progress. Like, do you really need that much control over how people play? It's not like you're adding a feature that lets you savescum or something, which would conceivably change the way people interact with the game by letting them reload when bad things happen or something like that. The only conceivable reason not to allow saves is to force people to play through in one sitting/keep it alt + tabbed when they want to set it aside. That's not really a gameplay thing so much as an "I want to control your life" thing. The game's the same either way: you're just forcing people to play it in one sitting.

WHY

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ToxicFrog posted:

Well, to be fair, it does let players savescum by backing up the save files and then restoring them out-of-game.

That said, someone willing to go to that much effort to savescum is also probably willing to run the game in a VM or use Cheat Engine or whatever, and on top of that you then ask the question "and why is people savescumming such a big problem" and come up empty.

The devs haven't actually said what their rationale for opposing it as far as I know, though.
Yeah, it lets them savescum, so I guess if you have some philosophical opposition to the bare technical possibility of doing that then keeping saves out of your game makes sense, but why would you care about that? I mean people can gently caress with your game in all sorts of ways. As a developer you should worry about making it fun, and one reason not to add a traditional save system is that it makes it much easier to savescum which potentially ruins the enjoyment for people who might otherwise play the "right" way were it not for the temptation.

That's pretty much the only reason I can think of for leaving out "normal" saving, but I can't think of any great reason for leaving out save on exit.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think ted was being sarcastic.

Although it would be kind of cool if your apartment/house generator took a direct hit and you had to direct power to the freezer or to your PC. You'd have to choose between all your ice cream melting or your FTL game being lost. FTL larping indeed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Thank goodness.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Kind of a boring interview with the developers in case you are interested in what they're spending the money on or things like that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Idle Thumbs is streaming FTL if you're a fan of Idle Thumbs.

edit: and he just hit a sun on the first jump, his O2 got hit and fires broke out, then everyone died trying to put the flames out and repair the oxygen. Hooray FTL!

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 11, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is this only available on OnLive right now or can I download it?
Sorry, I've been lazy. Sensors detect an OP update in the next sector. As soon as our FTL drives charge, we should be able to reach it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Teledahn posted:

Should I feel bad for grinding crew xp when I come across an enemy who completely cannot hurt me?
Naw it's cool, I think Kirk did that in an episode of Star Trek or something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If any mod moseys into this thread, I'd appreciate it if "Available Now!" could be appended to the end of the title.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Reb posted:

I really think the developers confused easy with normal and normal with hard. Sometimes I don't even make it out of sector 1...
That's par for the course for roguelike-like games (and for roguelike games!). It's not about winning, it's about how you lose!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pfhreak posted:

Am I the only one pretending Easy mode doesn't exist? I mean, I have yet to beat the drat game, but I'm loving how brutal it is.
"Easy mode" should be called "unlock ships mode."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Yodzilla posted:

Pro Tip: there's oxygen aboard automated defense ships

:saddowns:
Are you sure?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like the little wrench the crewmember is holding.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
hahahah I love it. That's exactly what I use the Zoltan for too!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

RBA Starblade posted:

What shops, sectors, and events give slug crewmembers? I have one of every other race on the Kestrel (besides crystal, but you know) and I can't seem to grab a slug.
I've heard if you set out a bowl with beer in it, it will attract slugs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My space ship in this video game keeps getting blown up by other space ships in this video game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Consider blowing up their spaceships instead.
This is a good tactic, yes. But then I find myself getting greedy. Why blow it up if I can kill the crew and salvage more goodies? The next thing I know my boarding crew has been dismembered by mantises and my ship is on fire in rooms that it ought not have had installed in the first place.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PlotDevice posted:

So stupid question; Is this game mostly turn based like other roguelikes or is it real time? It seems real time but I want a game I can play when I'm feeling really lazy or watching a movie or something.
Real time, although you can pause whenever you want.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Hey... now that everyone mentions it, how come you can't just, like, bring a spacesuit when you board and auto drone? Like, have they really not invented something that lets you breathe air when there isn't air around?

:qq: My immersion :qq:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Literally the first jump of a game I just started:

First shot that gets through the shields nails my door controls, then the sun sets them on fire. And the engine is on fire.

At least when I restart I won't lose any progress!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's going to make for some awkward class sessions when the space history teachers at space high school get to the part in history when you saved the Federation.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Hey don't get mad, if my ship were getting reamed and I and my buddies were a group of mantis men, we'd totally huddle in the medbay hopped up on opiates waiting for the end. And if two crewmembers from the evil enemy ship showed up in our midst, we'd beat the gently caress out of them, and if they were silly enough not to run to some other area of our ship we'd kill them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doctor Doodler posted:

Send four gold combat mantis to the enemy ship, it has one hull left, no shields either.
It desperately fires a volley, pierces my shields, damages my hull causing crystal shard breaks off and destroy it before I can beam the mantis back :cry:
Rest in peace, Jones, Sambo, mantis 3, and mantis 4.

e: How do I get beacon paths to show up?
It's in the options menu.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BitBasher posted:

That, right there, is your problem.

In my opinion you should never target the shields with your first volley in late sectors. Aim all your shots at his bridge (or engines) After his bridge is down your hit rate goes up to 100%. The second battery you fire should target his shields with 2 guns and his bridge again with your third gun a second later. After that you can fire at what you want to destroy but always keep his bridge down.

Trying to kill his shields first is useless when half your shots are going to miss. His bridge takes a lot less shots to kill and guarantees that 100% of your shots will hit as long as the bridge is down. This really, really amplifies your damage versus trying to take out his shields.
I think Mistikman meant that the first two shots dropped the first two shields and there was still a third shield up. He never got to the point where he was doing damage to subsystems at all.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tommofork posted:

Here you go. I just updated the mod. The list stretches from page 103 to the latest post. I removed underscores and uncaptialised first letters as they were bothering me. And fixed Elukka's name.
Thanks for the links to your mod! Added it + NotInventeHere's sci-fi name mod to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You've got some pretty classic ship names in that list.

• Locked thread