Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
My best stealth ship run had me completely ignore shields. I only picked up a set in sector 6 because I was swimming in scrap.

Guess which system burned down my last HP? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think that as long as you have the weapons to deal with shields all you need to worry about for the flagship is:

Cloak
Shield
Engines.

Pick two and max them.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

It's actually better not to max out cloak for the last fight (or depower it to level 1). In Phase 1 you only need it to avoid the first volley of rockets before you kill the launcher. In Phases 2-3 you just need it to evade the drones/superweapon. Both of these attacks recharge about 1-2 seconds faster than a level 1 cloak. If you cloak any longer than absolutely necessary, it'll be down the next attack happens.

But yeah, the cloak is by no means necessary if you have a boarding crew to take out the rocket launcher. Getting that thing unmanned and destroyed ASAP is the key to winning with any ship loadout.

Yeah but if you have maxed out shields or engines to go with a maxed out cloak it really doesn't matter what kind of timing you pull off - the flagship simply can't hit you. Cloaking just lets you charge up those weapons without any headaches.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You'll get the hang of the game eventually. You should really not be playing on Easy though. That makes life difficult when you decide you want to try normal.

I'm finding the more I win at this the more I'll win. Almost have all achievements on normal and I'm trying to get victories in all the ships now! Woooo

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

I don't think I have the temperament for this loving game. Dudes are like huh bluh I win 80% of the time?

Nobody in here wins as often as you think they do.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Frogfingers posted:

FTL is a game I want to like, but the intrinsic arbitrary nature of the game is too stressful to be fun. Save/loading might ruin the tone, but I can only play one game per sitting because I always stumble on the verge of accomplishment. I either end up poor, broken understaffed or out of gas, and any combination of them basically means game over.

You post like you expect to win at everything. Expect to lose and relish in how it happens. This game is at its best when I'm not sweeping the rebel fleet with OP load outs.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

DNK posted:

Beam weapons, in general, are garbage. They only accelerate an already doomed enemies death; they're useless against enemies that can resist your other weapons.

Boarding crews/Bombs are the offensive staple with burst lasers/ion providing useful support throughout. You absolutely must have a solid boarding crew or breach bomb IIs to have a shot at beating the mothership.

Mothership Killing Spoilers:
The mothership is easily beat with even a minorly effective boarding crew: kill all of the gunners except the 2nd gun (assuming guns are numbered 1 2 3 4), then disable the medbay (via bombs...) and slaughter the rest of the crew. There, you won.

In the following fights you can teleport your boarding crew directly into their drone room (phase 2), or shield room (phase 3) without having to worry about the AI taking over. Make sure to disable the missile gun pronto! Cloak helps, but not necessary if you have big shields and big evasion.

Everything in this post is wrong. I mean, sure they work as strategies but none of it requires a "you must".

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Nah there is a lot of luck involved. I've got about 100 hours in to this and I'm still missing 3 ships. I've never even seen what happens after grabbing the pod.

I refuse to scum it :colbert:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

What's bullshit is that you can immediately turn to attack them, but you don't get your scrap back. What the hell? Even if they spent it on their own ship immediately, which is impossible, you'd still be able to strip and scrap their ship, right?
I don't understand how I can waste 65 on a fake weapon, which first implies my captain has no idea how to actually do business, and on top of that only get like 35 scrap from beating them.

You rolled the die and you lost. What's the problem?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

The problem is if you hand someone ten bucks and they say "thanks sucker" and then you kill them and steal all the money on their person, that amount should be equal to or greater than ten bucks.

Still not seeing the problem. I'd rather not they made silly changes like this for everyone. Mod the game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

It doesn't bother me that much, since I've learned to just fight them every time rather than take the risk. But it's still bogus.

I think you're being a tad defensive on this whole thing. If you think it's fine from a standpoint purely of gameplay, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Defensive? I don't care what you do. I simply disagreed on the notion that you don't understand what a dice roll is. Mod your game and be happy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

self-righteous

Right. How about I repeat myself for a third time: "Mod the game"

Mistaking indifference for hyperdefensiveness to support your argument is cute, though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't think you were being defensive, I think you were being annoyingly smug as you stepped into a fun conversation offering a dismissive solution to something we weren't actually treating as a real problem. You were condescending based on false pretenses, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. And now I'm being overly combative because I'm tired and annoyed, sorry.

EDIT: Sorry again, ugh, this great thread doesn't deserve this poo poo. Won't happen again.

Yeah you're probably right about all of that. I just clickclickclick through the game "Oh, I gained scrap. Oh I lost scrap." I don't even see the flavour text anymore. It just seems odd to me now that someone would put so much investment in what the blablabla between battles is saying. I skip every cutscene in every game I play so there's that about me.

I'm also tired and annoyed on this awful Monday. Let's stop!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You guys have no spirit of adventure. I click "Yes, do it!" for every event I come across.

Usually the game tells me "gently caress you" though :downs:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

Any tips for the Stealth B? I just finally tried it for the first ten times, over the course of the last half hour.

It'll absolutely devastate anything in sector 1 with the first shot, so it's just a matter of lasting 22.5 seconds without taking damage to the weapons bay.
Lasers and missiles, I can usually dodge and take no damage. A mini-beam though, can't be dodged, so they'll get to fire it exactly once before I charge the Glaive -- making it's a dice roll whether they hit my weapons and devastate me, or hit elsewhere and only do 2-3 damage.
But the real problem is Beam Drones. At least once every playthrough, before I save up enough to buy a shield, I'll encounter a one, which will leave me with 1/3 hull and no desire to continue that run.

So yeah. How am I supposed to handle that? Can anybody here make it past sector 2 with the DA-SR 12?

I always just restart. It only takes about 10 minutes to get through the first sector and I'm having fun anyways so I don't consider it wasted time if the first sector doesn't go as planned. I've had many runs where I won't encounter a single beam weapon (or missle or drones or etc etc) in the first sector.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I've never managed to kill all the crew before killing the ship itself. Does the boss AI repair itself as fast (which is to say, as painfully slow) as drone AI?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Command Ant posted:

I think it repairs at least as quickly as drone AI, and possibly a bit slower.

Then everyone who has ever complained about boss AI repairs is a huge baby. I'd take that over 4 guys flash repairing a system anyday!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there no jump from the nebula two jumps to the SW?

That's a huge distance. Also there is no nebula on his map. The timing with Omeg's post is funny because his is an even larger distance.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Irony.or.Death posted:

Is there anything you can do to increase the accuracy of bombs? Does evasion against them work based on pilot presence+engine level like normal, or is there something else going on with them? I desperately want to love fire bombs, but it's pretty frustrating watching four misses in a row which seems to be the norm.

All weapons have a base accuracy of 100%. Missing is a function of the enemy's evasion. So, no.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

There's no way you should have lost that!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Roger Explosion posted:

Welp, I decided to give a Normal game a shot in the Dickship and my first three attempts I get killed in the first sector before even getting past 5 warp points. Things have drones and beams and lasers and they aaaaaaaaaall go for my weapons straight off the bat and they aaaaaaaaaaall always fire first. There was literally no way for me to win.

Man, gently caress this game.

I bet there was a way to win.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Just unlocked Slug B and...welll...:raise:

Any tips for using this thing?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah you just need to play more to figure it out.

I also wish this game had a harder mode.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mr. Wynand posted:

So are these guys just squandering all their support and good will or wtf are they working on?

No patch, no posts, no news on their website other then basking in their success, no talk about expansions or modding support - no nothing.

I really loved this game but a lot of that emotional investment kinda assumed there would be more to come.

Or are they just really lovely about communicating their plans?

Other than everyone's lame gameplay ideas, what do you want patched? This game is bloody perfect.

Expansion would be nice but it's not like a lack of news about one warrants this kind of post.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Woo! Just beat Normal with Stealth-B.

The game was over when it handed me a Burst Laser II in the first sector.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I love posting stats!

133 (online reported) hours played. Gotta be close to 1.5 times that with how much I play offline.

238 games played.

13 total victories.

I think I'm one of the few who bought this at launch still reading and posting in this thread.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

omeg posted:

165/18 ratio for me. 135 hours. :v:

That's a good ratio. It tells me I get far too high when I play this, sometimes.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You should, it's fun!

At the very least it'll teach you how to not get mad at videogames.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Haha just sat down to a rousing session of FTL after work and on the very first jump of my first game my Engi-B runs into an event that kills a random crewman.

Probably an omen for the next two hours of my life.

e: I can't take the punishment anymore :negative:

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 29, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

:argh: I am having more trouble with Engi-B than whatever ship everyone here thinks is the worst.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's just a luck thing. I can't seem to both get early defenses AND 3 points of fire power in time.

I'll find nothing if I save up for shields first and I'll get torn apart if I buy weapons early.

I'll get it eventually, but for now :argh: :argh: :argh:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah well this is, like, way more hard than that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

How to <Insert Ship here>: There is no how to, advice is irrelevant after Sector 2 which any ship can get past without a problem.

Just gotta get lucky with stores or drops.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

DrManiac posted:

Speaking of which, did they ever mention new content/dlc? I would love an excuse to get back in this.

Unless your next post is a photo of a victory with every ship on normal you have every excuse to get back into this.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I always play on normal and the only thing that ever does me in is a quick lapse of attention on my part during a crucial moment. Or events. Events that kill a crewman. When you're using engi-b :argh:

This game is not hard, you just have to pay attention, pause a lot and not get angry at video games. If you can do all three you'll start to win a lot more consistently.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Woo! In a single run tonight I picked up a new high score, the crystal cruiser, the fleet of my own achiement, in the Engi-B.

Basically, :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I had to run from drones until my dudes levelled up in combat skill. I was able to get a burst laser at some point but I relied on my boarding crew.

I'm having the same feelings about the Rockman A right now but having two rockmen to send over is actually making drones quite easy. We'll see how this run goes.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

overdesigned posted:

Just installed FTL on my desktop PC (been playing on the laptop) and figured it was time to bump my way up to Normal after several victories on Easy.

I got a second Burst Laser II, a Hull Beam, a Weapon Pre-Igniter, a crew teleporter, and a cloak by the end of Sector 5!

And I still lost, feeling like I wasted a golden opportunity. Boarding ships is definitely the way to go, scrap-wise; I need to work more on survivability, I think. Rather than going for the cloak, I think I'd have been better served by a few more points in shields or engines, or weapons to get my hull beam usable with the pre-ignited burst lasers...

You should always err on the side of more defenses before you spend money at stores. The golden rule is to roll with what the game gives you because it's much cheaper than buying what you want to roll with at stores. You generally only need to seek out an extra pip of damage every 2 sectors.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

You should always err on the side of more defenses before you spend money at stores. The golden rule is to roll with what the game gives you because it's much cheaper than buying what you want to roll with at stores. You generally only need to seek out an extra pip of damage every 2 sectors.

Playing Crystal-B reminded me of something else.

You can ignore what I said above when you fly Stealth, Crystal, Mantis (Though sometimes theirs is really nice to have), Engi, Rock. They start with lots of free money. Sell their bonus augment at the first store and you can buy whatever you want. You'll be swimming in scrap by the end of Sector 2. I've found that I will always have them replaced by the end of the game, might as well snowball that advantage early with a scrap injection!

vvv It's cheaper than buying fuel/ammo/drones in stores. Much cheaper.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I dunno man, I can understand why some people want more content, but the last thing this game needs is a coordinated AI. You will[ lose every game if the AI knew how to target specific subsystems in specific circumstances like you or I can. It's the same reason I don't want Multiplayer for this game, it'd be a race to land the first weapons subsystem hit.

Also I can't see where everyone is going by saying boarders are THE strategy. You need a long string of really good luck to be able to field a team of boarders and win the game. If you're not using one of the teleporter starting ships you probably won't field a full team of boarders AND have ship crew AND have enough weaponry to beat the game. Yes, they're awesome when it happens but so are 3 sets of Burst Laser IIs when it happens as well.

What I'm saying is that a full team of boarders is just as OP as a full set of burst lasers or a full set of attack drones. Nothing special.

• Locked thread