Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
So I got a question about this new scanning thing. How the gently caress does it work? I've tried it a bunch of times, but didn't found anything.

Also, can someone (with a minimal amount of spoilers) tell me where to find the DLC character? Perhaps just by pointing me in the direction of the correct system/planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Lotish posted:

Yeah, we have actual proof of this. They didn't "envision" poo poo about the ending. They clearly changed it because of the leak, and made it worse. They were intimidated into a rushed hack-job. It is indefensible.

Could you tell me (in spoiler tags if necessary) what the ending was in the leaked script?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

Dark energy. Basically, the use of mass effect fields produces it, and it's slowly degrading the galaxy or something like that; Reapers harvest civilizations that have used the mass relays in the hopes of finding some perspective that will be able to figure out how to solve the problem. It's been done, but nowhere near as much as Frankenstein, which is what we got.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than what we got. Too tired to write up my gripes with it right now, but I'll join in on the disappointment later.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Ok, I guess I'll pile on about the ending.

I loved, LOVED the entire game right up until the ending. All the decisions I made in the previous games made an impact. I was able to broker a peace between the quarians and the geth, Wrex was kicking rear end as the new Krogan leader. Maelon's data enabled me to cure the genophage, etc. I do wish some of the decisions I made in ME and ME2 had a bigger impact. The Rachni for instance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all that got me was some extra workers on the Crucible.

Now, my problem is not just with the last ten minutes, although I feel robbed and stolen. It pretty much started when we we're headed to earth.

Joker goes down the list of fleets reporting in. At that point, I wanted everybody I knew to report in. The quarian admirals, Wrex, the Geth, etc. Instead, Joker just named them quickly, you saw one or two shots from the other ships, and that was it.

I could've lived with that. But then, everything I ever did in the previous games, everything that was supposed to culminate in an ending tailored to the way I played it, was flushed down the toilet. The consequences of brokering a peace between the Geth and the quarians? The revival of the krogans? loving anything at all???

And all three endings are exactly the same, save for a different colour shockwave coming from the Citadel. And the relays are destroyed no matter what I do. And what the gently caress was going on with the Normandy? I figured they crash landed on earth, since they were close when they dropped me off. And what the gently caress was Javik doing on the Normandy? He was running toward the transport beam on Earth with me.

The ending really reminded me of BS:G, and to a lesser degree, Deus Ex Revolution and Bioshock. Those last two games pretended like choices matter, and then proceed not to show me what the consequences of my choices end up being.

I'll probably play through the game again, but it has surely left a foul taste in my mouth. How the gently caress do you create such a fantastic game with epic encounters (reaper/thresher maw, solo'ing the reaper on Rannoch, etc, etc, etc) and then give everybody the same bland ending?

Maybe this is the cynic in me, but I somehow suspect they did this to leave the whole ME universe wide open for future installments. But if wrapping up an epic scifi trilogy seemed less important than giving themselves options for future games, gently caress Bioware and gently caress EA. Well, always gently caress EA a little more, but Bioware is not without blame in this.

I read the alternate ending yesterday, and that seemed much better than the bullshit I was force-fed Sunday night when I finished the game.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

One other thing that annoyed me about the ending.

I again have this awesome space crew. ME2 made a point of controlling, to a degree, what the rest of your squad does in the end, even if you're not directly controlling them in your party.

Then, when the time comes to take back Earth, the ultimate battle for all space-faring life in the universe, Shep takes two people with him and the rest just hangs back? Also, I would've liked to do some more things about getting ready. Sure, you have the war asset thing, but I missed not being able to 'tinker' with the Normandy like you do in ME2.

Just an advance warning. I will probably remember other things about ME3 that have left me disappointed, and I will bore you people with them.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

LibbyM posted:

-The Day-One DLC. Worth it? Do you miss out on not having it? Did it feel cut out of the main game?

The day-one dlc character is really good, and feels very well integrated into the story.

That's probably because the character was integrated into the story, and was then cut out later...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

Every writer who has commented on it disagrees with you.

Therefore it must be true...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I was in Belgium and northern France this weekend with my brothers, on a World War 1 tour.

We came across a monument, and I thought it looked like the mini-relay on Ilos.

I think I might spend too much time thinking about Mass Effect. At least after getting burned on the ending, that will probably subside.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ub posted:

It's the Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge. :stare:

That it is. I take it you've been there?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Davincie posted:

Quick question, what happens if you don't renegade interrupt Gerrel? Dude is a dick but I don't want to screw up my paragon run.

Sucker-punching him was one of the most rewarding moments in the entire game.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you do this with Reapers chasing you from all sides?

I just quick-saved on the Normandy before I started scanning. Found all the things there were, quick loaded, and then picked them up...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I have a weird question here.

Can anyone tell me just how bad the ending is without spoiling anything? I've heard from countless places across the internet that the ending is irredeemably bad and since I'm so involved in the plot I want to brace myself for the disappointment.

I mean how bad could it possibly be? Is it St. Elsewhere levels of horror? Are people just exaggerating? I just don't want to get to the end and then have all the enjoyment I've had crashed to poo poo without at least some preparation.

Let me just say this. ME3 is brilliant in showing you the consequences of your actions in the previous games. From being able to forge alliances to meeting up with fan favourites along the way.

The ending pretty much throws all this 'your actions have consequences' spiel out of the window. That is what I am most pissed off about.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't that the one where you fight a giant agent Smith made up of all the tiny agent Smiths with a giant pair of sunglasses he takes off a billboard? Then all the people in Zion celebrate your success by singing "We Will Rock You"? Yeah the ME3 ending is worse than that because that was amazing and ME3s ending wasn't. Seriously it's like they looked at the famously hated Fallout 3, Borderlands or Fable 2/3 endings and said "we can do this way worse".

Didn't Fallout 3 at least give you a run down on what happened to everybody you met along the way? Or was that only in New Vegas?

Another thing that pisses me off about ME3's ending. Not really spoilers but I'll tag it as such anyway.

If this was ground breaking territory they were treading, I could forgive them for not showing me what happens to the non-existent people I've come to care for. But I've been burned before by games like this, and this was years ago. Bioshock did the same thing, and more recently Deus Ex Revolution. Just giving me three different levers to pull is not the same as giving me a choice on how to conclude a story.

And ME3 did even worse, since the ending movies are all loving the same, except for the magical Citadel burst being a different colour!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Kin posted:

Easier method.

Fly around a system spamming the scan button, find the locations and then get caught.
Reload and appear within the same solar system with no alert status.
Use your brain to remember where the 2 or 3 markers were.

The whole reaper chase thing is just annoying and adds another layer of irritation to the already tedious scanning system. Especially as it's now tied into your overall war readiness and the completion of 90% of "side missions".

What a loving chore it is.

At least in ME2 you could just use a trainer to bypass that nonsense.

This is exactly what I did.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Question. I know I chose Anderson as the human representative on the Council in the first game. How does Udina end up on the Council in ME3? Did I forget something?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Virmire Survivor posted:

He resigned in the books.

It's never mentioned in the game though, is it?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Easily my favourite track from the soundtrack

Does some heavy pulling on my heartstrings... :cry:

Ending blows a bit though. Seems familiar... :smug:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Capt Happhypants posted:

So I just read a good article about why the ending is bad in so many ways. I tend to be very forgiving of movies, games, and all sorts of media and try to enjoy myself no matter what. I was willing to appreciate whatever ending ME3 gave me, but after reading this (massive spoilers in it so don't read if you don't want to know them) I truly do hope that Bioware will do something to fix it at some point, even if I have to buy a freaking DLC to get a better resolution:

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

If nothing else it would be nice to get a press release explaining why they decided to butcher the end as badly as they did, even if it is, "We ran out of time and the finance guys said to shoehorn this rubbish in."

All that rage and disappointment I'd been feeling, perfectly worded. Cheers to the author :)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

It really summarizes the game. its beautiful throughout, you get this buildup to watch a great ending and then it just stops. :negative:

And a very well executed cover, for good measure

Now I wish I played the piano...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

As disappointed as I am by the ending, I am much more sad that Mass Effect (or at least the story of The Shepard) is over. This might sound overly dramatic, but I doubt I'll ever enjoy a game in the same way.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Nihilist Duck posted:

I guess this just got posted on the Mass Effect FB page

"We appreciate everyone’s feedback about Mass Effect 3 and want you to know that we are listening. Please note, we want to give people time to experience the game so while we can’t get into specifics right now, we will be able to address some of your questions once more people have had time to complete the game."

I wouldn't be surprised they eventually do add some dlc to give another ending to the game or to flesh out what life is like after the mass relays are destroyed.

How would that work since Shepard dies?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Is there anyway to use Gibbed to edit an ME2 save, so that it thinks I finished Overlord. Realized I forgot on my first ME3 playthrough, and I want to do one where I did save the Geth-savant.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Drei posted:

The female marine thing was more about her trying to be one of the "guys" than HEY HERE IS ANOTHER LGBT CHARACTER GUYS LOOK WE'RE TRYING. Asari relationships to me don't really count because of the whole mono-gendered thing. And I don't recall seeing anything with a gay Turian but now I'm curious. I think it probably felt more over the top just because it was such a switch from ME1 and 2 (Femshep/Asari fanservicing aside). If we tallied up the presence of heterosexual relationships to same-sex throughout the series, hetero would certainly outnumber. It felt more equal in 3, which I quite appreciated.

Have any American 'family value' groups lost their poo poo over ME3 yet (let's not forget the game includes insinuated handicapped on robot action), or are they too busy trying to get contraception banned?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Zedd posted:

The gently caress? :stare: I heard about this once but is this actually being attempted somewhere? (Don't derail just yes or no is fine)

Well, banned might be a bit of an overstatement. They are trying, however, in one state to make it so any employer can deny covering birth control if they have a 'moral objection'. Also, employers should be able to fire someone if they use birth control pills for non-medical reasons (i.e., for actual birth control) if that conflicts with the emloyer's moral beliefs...

Republicans think they've got a winning issue here.

Sorry for the slight derail, just wanted to spread some knowledge.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Just chiming in on the crew interactions.

My favourite was early in the game, with Garrus and Joker ripping into each other (verbally) in the cockpit.

"Why does the alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?"

"So their marines have someone to beat up during practice drills."

Or something to that effect. I was laughing out loud at most of their jokes.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

precision posted:

I always look and see what they are, but only actually click on the ones that sound interesting/might lead to information I need because SHUT UP I'M ROLEPLAYING.

My first ME2 playthrough I clicked every single dialogue option and it felt like I was just going through the motions, checking off items on a list. To be fair, the incidental dialogue in this one is written much better.

For example, my favorite line of dialogue in the entire game so far:

Liara's "father" calling humanity "Anthropocentric bag of dicks."

How/when/where can you meet up with Liara's 'father'????

Edit: nevermind, should read all the posts before replying...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Viperix posted:

So we've talked about the emotional impact of (big character spoilers)Mordin and Legions deaths, but I found another scene that invoked a different emotion: the Geth Dreadnought. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been so angry at a video game character before than I was at Han'Garrel after that. I play as a goody two-shoes super-paragon and had zero hesitation punching him and booting him off my ship. Seriously though, anyone else get the vibe that he would sacrifice every last Quarian if it meant destroying the Geth? There's being ruthless, there's being a warmonger, and then there's this dude.

I think I only took two or three renegade interrupts during the entire game, but that was by far the most satisfying one!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

:siren::siren:I found a thing

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221273p1.html :siren::siren:

You found a two day old thing...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I need to find a good Javik picture and quote for an avatar.

For a quote, I'd say "Asari mastered reading?" or "They used to eat flies".

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

magimix posted:

God drat it :doh: All those otherwise cool looking weapons that I've *not* being equipping my squad with, due to concerns over weight affecting their cooldowns :eng99:

Then again, I didn't notice until a few hours into my second playthrough that I could cycle through the Citadel maps. Yes, in all the first playthrough I'd patiently travel from floor to floor to see where people were.

I knew neither of these things, and I'm about to finish up my second playthrough...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Two Finger posted:

What part of the game was this?

I'm assuming Thessia, but I could be wrong.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Cbouncerrun posted:

Anyone?

In SP, I found the flamethrower drat handy. It's both a distraction for the enemy, and setting them on fire makes them wiggle around.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Paino posted:

You may want to add a little heads up for the Eden Prime sidequest in the OP, since the info for the resistance movement is loving impossible to find and if you don't find it the first time you can't land on Eden EVER again because Bioware decided JRPG game design is cool.

So you will lose the war asset, the quest will never be marked as failed in your journal (confusing as gently caress), and you will probably wonder why you have bought the DLC if you can never revisit THE CONTENT YOU JUST PAID FOR.

I will say it again: the user score on Metacritic is very accurate for ME3, this is the DA2 of Mass Effects, by far the weaker of the trilogy, and no amount of fanboyism will be able to deny that this is a rushed game.

While I have many gripes with ME3, I wouldn't exactly call the user score average on Metacritic reasonable.

PC: 37%
Xbox360: 49%
PS3: 37%

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

HenessyHero posted:

Shepard and Legion discussing the Quarian attack:

"....self-preservation took precidence."

"You were afraid you'd be wiped out?"

"We do not experience fear as you would, but we have no desire to be exterminated."

"Even if the Reapers cost the Geth Free will?"

"That is evidently an acceptable trade."

If you view them as a sentient race purely guided by logic, no emotions, it kinda makes sense. Survival trumps everything. It's not like the quarians were willing to negotiate.

Edit:

Vigilance posted:

Holy poo poo. I spoiled myself on the endings before I even played and knew they would be poo poo but nothing anyone said could have prepared me for just how awful the ending was.

I chose synthesis. I'm not even going to bother reloading to see what the other ones are like because the one I chose was so bad and stupid that I'm stunned.

I heard everywhere how bad the endings are and I am *still* stunned at just how bad they are.

Just look it up on youtube. Pretty much the same, but with different colours (I am not joking). Oh, and if you have a really high readiness and point total, you get 5 seconds extra footage if you choose destroy.

Edit2:

HenessyHero posted:

By the by, here's a gallery of terrible custom Sheps.

Jesus christ, I thought I was bad at designing a character.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 14, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

The final 'song' in ME3, the piano thing you hear when you're sitting with Anderson at the end, is one of the finest pieces of gaming music ever made.

Claiming otherwise is tantamount to heresy :colbert:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Guys, quick question. After I finished ME3 the first time, I was so disappointed I never came back for the SP DLC/alternative ending. I should still have my savegames, since I synced them in Origin.

Do I need to start a new game to get the alternative ending? Is it possible for someone to tell me how it works without spoiling anything?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

All you need is a game save that is right before the Priority: Cerberus Headquarters mission. The extended cut DLC is all after that point, and if you want to do Leviathan, you can finish that before launching the endgame.

Cheers.

So, getting the alternative ending is not contingent on playing the Leviathan DLC? And Leviathan will simply show up as a new quest in your log/on the map?

Also, I assume since the DLC is free, Origin has updated my copy of ME3 automatically? Or do I need to download and install it manually?

Edit: Nm, I'm an idiot. I thought Leviathan was free. Is it worth it?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

hwordhan posted:

Leviathan is solid DLC. Not Shadowbroker, more like Overlord, but worth the money.
You have to install the Extended Cut as well, it doesn't update automatically.
If you load the savegame, Traynor will tell you that you've got unread messages.

Ah, so Origin still sucks. I can get the extended cut from the Bioware website, like other DLC's?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Again, thanks guys.

Guess I'm going to buy Leviathan. Wish they would let us pay with actual currency instead of going through the hassle with funbucks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

One last question. I really don't feel like playing MP for a few days to get my readiness rating up. Will I be able to get the alternative ending with readiness only at 50%?

• Locked thread