Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Lycus posted:

The recruitment/loyalty missions are easier. I'd rather do the recruitment/loyalty missions without the extra/upgraded gun than the Collector Ship without the upgrades you can pick up from those missions or buy. Rushing the Collector Ship doesn't seem like a thing to do unless you're doing a gimmick like "kill everybody in the Suicide Mission" or "get Legion as soon as possible".

I think you're confusing Collector ship with Reaper IFF. Rushing the Reaper IFF is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Replacing the Charm/Intimidate skills in ME1 with a system where you unlock charm/intimidate options by accumulating Paragon/Renegade points was maybe the worst mistake they made in the ME1 -> ME2 transition.

Not that the former was ideal, but the latter was really dumb.

I agree. It should almost be a generic "charisma" skill that you need to put points into, but it unlocks charm/intimidate options in conversation AND has a passive buff on your team in combat.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

Heh, sorry. I kinda end up talking a lot, and spamming poo poo up. My bad I'll shut up now!

Nah, that wasn't sarcasm.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Geostomp posted:

That and Sovereign needed a distraction to keep the Citadel fleets from swarming it the second it crossed over, so Saren needed a army and a fleet to hold all the defenders for as long as it took to get into position to open the Relay.

Also, if Sovereign/Saren was successful, most of the galaxy's powerful warships would have been in one place and been destroyed by the Reaper invasion. It would have made a counterattack almost impossible. So making Saren a visible threat with the Geth fleet makes sense to lure the Council fleet into a trap.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I finished my ME1 run. At the end I said "I don't care" who takes over. Does this mean it will default to Udina?

It was also strange having no Wrex or Ashley down by the lockers. The storage hold felt very empty.

I thought your choice at the end of ME1 doesn't matter, and that's why Miranda and Jason ask you who is on the council in ME 2.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mustang posted:

I'm actually replaying ME1 right now on PC and having a ton of fun. Having more than one ability hotkeyed goes a long way towards making the gameplay more enjoyable, I'm rarely pausing to select an ability.

I'll be doing Virmire soon but not sure whether I should let Ashley or Kaidan die. On 360 I let Ashley live, is Kaidan at all interesting in ME3?

Eh, less whiny. But neither are that interesting. I think Kaiden improved the most.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I really like Mass Effect 3. I think the ending could have been better though. It seems weird that the boss fight is a conversation with a kid that you can't even hit with logic. "Synthetics and machines will always kill each other." "I just made peace with the Quarians and the Geth. Your argument is flawed." "Whoops. My bad. I guess I'll take my Reaper fleet out of here and we'll monitor the situation from afar."

Basically, I thought you would be able to argue with him based on your actions throughout the games. If you made the right decisions (peace with Quarians and Geth) you'd be able to tell the Reapers to gently caress off and if you didn't, you'd have to fight them and races would get reaped if your military score wasn't high enough. Start with earth and end on Tuchanka. That way they could have had different endings without having a player actually choose which color they want at the end.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Furism posted:

I really loved the reveal that Sovereign isn't just a ship but a sentient being controlling Saren. Also loved the effect they put on his voice. I think that's my favorite moment of the series.

That was what made a huge Mass Effect fan. Right after that, Kaiden dies, Anderson punches the ambassador, and I drove a Mako through a mass relay. That's how you end a videogame!

Spikeguy posted:

Vasir would have been a great rival through the series. I hope they try to tap into that in Nu-Effect. It was different from the dude in 3, and I think that's because of the Spectre status. We all had an idea of what that entails, and then she does some bad rear end poo poo so it was easy to believe her competency.

It would be cool if they brought back powers like lift and damping and your enemy was the opposite class you are. So if you are a soldier, they are a sentinel and they have a mess of powers to keep you off balance. And if you are a biotic the have damping so you can't use all your powers. That would be a fun gimmick.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

It's Lt Danger, he's really married to the idea of ME3's plot being deep and good. His LP Thread was the same way.

He's not all wrong though. The Reaper motives seem silly to us short lived organic things, Harbinger basically said they are our salvation and even star kid talks about this. Even if you don't agree with Reaper motivation, they are consistent throughout the series.

As I've stated earlier, it would have been better if the writers gave more thought to the ending, but they didn't. The idea that this cycle was different only manifested itself in the choice at the end of which color ending you got. The way they should have dealt with all of the holes in their writing is by having the player point them out as proof the Reapers are wrong and having star kid accept that they might need to observe this cycle further. It's a huge cop out, but it would have actually felt like there was an ending in place.

Alas, it's too late and we're left with a great series that fell apart in the last half hour. Kai Leng excluded. gently caress that guy.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Personally, I think Shepard making peace between the Quarians and the Geth probably wouldn't have been enough to convince the Catalyst/Reapers that peace between organics and synthetics is possible. They've been around a long time, remember, and they've probably seen short term peace negotiated before. The question is if the peace is actually sustainable, and if so, for how long.

What I think should've been done is that if you have enough war score and negotiated a peace, then you should be able to just ask for, say, a couple centuries of reprieve to at least see if it can last.

e: This would also be a decent setup for a sequel down the line.

This is exactly what I was saying. If you negotiate peace and your war score it's high enough you should be able to make the reapers leave and monitor the state of the galaxy for a few hundred years. And if you didn't negotiate peace between the Geth and Quarians you should still be able to fight them, but certain species will die.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

No. "The reapers stopped it!" is bullshit. It never happened before the reapers, it never happened during the Fifty-loving-thosuand years between each cycle, which is ample time for any attempt to be made, and it didn't happen in the current cycle, where the Geth have existed for three goddamn centuries without so much as even making a token effort.

Technically speaking, the Rachni wars were caused by an attempt by Sovereign to start the cycle. This would have prevented the Geth rebellion. They made more than a token effort.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Even though the Catalyst says the Reapers' purpose is to prevent robots from killing humans, the subtext is creator/created conflict. Ignoring that because the Catalyst doesn't specifically mention every instance is being a bad audience.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

Oh god pls dont pull me back in, but I can't help it; if we assume that subtext as his motivation, nothing the Catalyst does makes sense. How are the Reapers a solution to creator vs. created? How is that even a problem that needs solving? Why is the solution MURDER? Why is Synthesis a solution?

The Catalyst isn't RIGHT, but at least consistent. You're correct to find the Catalyst's logic to be flawed. Intergenerational conflict creates murder on a grand scale, so the Catalyst seeks to preserve life through murder of the creators. Creator isn't a literal word choice here, except in the case of the Quatrains. The Salarians are also creators, as they created the modern Krogan. The Krogans will spread across the galaxy and enslave all other races in their way because they can. They are the "synthetics" the Catalyst was speaking about. This is the Catalyst being consistent even though the logic is flawed.

But not really. Wrex is going to get knifed in his sleep and it's going to be Krogan rebellion 2.0 but the Reapers prevent that. Just like the Catalyst says.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
But the Reapers' goal isn't to save lives, it's to preserve species in Reaper form. By definition, individual lives don't matter. All that matters is that the essence of a species lives on. Your argument that the individual life matters and so therefore the logic is wrong. That's not the case and hasn't ever been.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 14, 2016

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

What the gently caress? DAI maybe, but not DAO. That game is better written than any of the MEs. And the ending is a huge payoff based on your decisions.

I have to disagree. Mass Effect one had some of the best writing of any Bioware game. The setting alone kicks any other Bioware game's rear end.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

2house2fly posted:

drat... the best writing of any Bioware game... such high praise!

They're better at writing than Bethesda.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Elcor are called living tanks. So maybe they'll have vehicles in multiplayer and if you're a Volus you get to ride an Elcor into battle and it says cool things like "With menace: I am death incarnate" every time you fire the big guns.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

Have you ever tried approving her request for a gun on the spectre terminal?

Who is this? I have never encountered an Asari with ptsd.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Always do what Miranda recommends, she's always right.

Miranda isn't a strong biotic.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always thought it was super obvious that you were supposed to use Samara there that I never even thought about using anyone else, who else works?

I thought it was super obvious that Jack was the most powerful biotic that I never thought of using anyone else. I kind of forgot that Samara was able to do that too.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mymla posted:

Speaking of jack, am I the only one who was bothered by her jailbreak scene? Like, don't biotics kinda need an amp to use their powers properly? Wouldn't they remove that before putting her in cold storage?
Also why can't she take down 3 heavy mechs in one hit when she's in my party.

I thought the amp was an implant that you needed surgery to remove. That's why the L2s have the horrible headaches and Kaiden hasn't upgraded because it's too risky.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Seriously though, how good was that launch trailer? I must've watched it a dozen times.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Could someone link the original trailer in question please? Want to make sure I'm watching the right one.

https://youtu.be/lx9sPQpjgjU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

lol that guy's mass effect retrospective is really loving bad

His whole premise that the theme changes between ME1 and 2 is ridiculous. They don't abandon the theme of intergenerational conflict, they basically smack you over the head with it. You can sum up 90% of the loyalty missions as "(Squadmate) has daddy issues." He never says what he thinks the theme is, but that was one thing I didn't think changed at all. The tone changed, the gameplay changed, the semi-open world structure changed in favor of episodic mission, but in return we got higher production values and gameplay that is fun. I haven't read his criticism of ME3 yet, but I'm sure Lt. Danger is going to disagree with it.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

khwarezm posted:

This is really dumb in a sadly predictable sort of way, the Normandy is ostensibly some super advanced ship, and Cerberus seems to have little issue recreating the drat thing almost perfectly which speaks to the larger problem that Cerberus's powers and capabilities fly all over the place at the behest of the writer in the last two games because they are poorly written garbage

You also didn't engage his arguments that the problem isn't just physically hiding a spaceship, its hiding the infrastructure that basically seems to render Cerberus as an actor powerful enough to compete with galaxy spanning governments to the point they can invade multiple planets in the midst of a giant space war including the heavily armed heart of the Galactic government. That extends to things like gaining and concealing the manpower to both act as a giant army and keep everything secret enough that nobody can do poo poo about them. It's loving bananas.

Cerberus never invades planets with a force large enough to conquer. They operate like a terrorist group. And while capable of causing damage, al-Queda couldn't survive if they fought force on force with coalition forces. That's what I think of in ME3 when they're a huge problem in the beginning of the game and after the citadel attack fails you only fight Cerberus forces when you assault their base. Kai Leng shows up on Thessia with such a small force because most of the Cerberus army gets killed. Obviously I agree that the funding is an issue, but the Cerberus MO seems to be abducting and indoctrinating people, and you don't have to pay them if they're indoctrinated. They don't have dreadnaughts, and if they built a Normandy, they clearly have shipyards, which probably helps explain where some of their funding comes from. Maybe one of their front companies is a defense contractor and that's why they have all that hardware laying around.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Cerberus is not pulling some Paris style attack where they just try to kill a bunch of civilians in a soft unexpected target, or ISIS style exploiting local sympathies and divisions to gain control over actual territory, they assault the heart of the Galactic government which is clearly mostly populated with aliens who would have no reason to accept a nutjob human supremacist organisation. Its so dumb, its like if al-Qaeda made a serious and concerted attempt to conquer the United Nations headquarters in New York. Not just to set off a few bombs but try to seize control of the machinery of government. But I guess they're all indoctrinated so whatevs.

Except they don't go to the Citadel to take over, they go there to kill the council so Udina can take over. They go to Tuchanka to set off a big bomb, they go to Surkesh to prevent the genophage from being cured and they send one gunship to Thessia to take the Prothean beacon. They never show up to take control. It's always to further destabilize an area already in danger of falling to the Reapers.

khwarezm posted:

But I think the one that annoys me more is when they assault the Salarian base with the Krogan females. I can't come up with any good rationalization for that one, its a base stacked with elite Salarian special forces on their home planet that is both on super high alert because of the whole unknown horrors invading the galaxy thing while seemingly being completely untouched at that point in the game.

And both attacks come by complete surprise and of course they can do all of these things simultaneously across massive areas of the Galaxy while also getting caught up in Mars, the Krogan homeworld and who knows where else. Not to mention their weekly another-experiment-gone-horribly-wrong cleanup operation.

Of course they can pull off surprise attacks, they have access to the Normandy's stealth tech. They can attack multiple places at once for the same reason al-Queda can. It's really not unrealistic. They are small cells operating independently.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Really though, Mass Effect owns. We can nitpick major or minor things, but the fact that we're talking about a game series that came out almost a decade ago, and the final chapter four years ago says to me that this is a good series. Overall. There are things that are less good. But I have a lot more positive memories with the series than I do negative ones. Unlike that Dragon Age series or Elder Scrolls.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

*mordin dies*

dang that sucks.

*rando kid gets zapped*

my DREAMS are HAUNTEDDDD~~~

Uh, it wasn't some rando kid. It was the only kid in the galaxy.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

Shameful

Anderson's final dialogue was cut down because it was too long, and the ME3 ending already has major pacing issues as it is.

You analyze this game like a lot of my professors analyze classic literature. Are you an English professor?

And I disagree, Anderson's cut dialogue adds to the ending, and doesn't SEEM too long, thus the pacing was fine.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Drew Karpyhsyn's greatest trick was convincing people he was a good writer.

Truth.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

There are also perfect 360 gamepad mods now for all 3 if you ever wanted to play it on your TV at 60fps.

Where can I download these?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm playing ME3 for the first time and without spoiling things too much, where is my great love Tali'Zorah vas Normandy? I was told not to rush the Priority missions until I do the rest of the missions but we must continue our space romance for as long as possible!! I saved everyone at the end of 2 Also I really liked Legion, can I recruit him back?

Related, Kaiden is currently in the hospital and is now a Spectre. Did I do something wrong to not recruit him back onto the Normandy? Or should I just wait longer..?

I believe Tali and Legion show up around the midpoint in the game. The Virmire survivor shows up before Tali/Legion. Also, I think once you finish Tali/Legion section, the timed side quests are done. Anyone able to confirm this?

exquisite tea posted:

You're gonna wake up from hypersleep in Andromeda, but lo and behold other ark ships got to Andromeda decades before you and have already begun to populate the galaxy with asari and turian and krogans so it's like you never left!! Oh yeah and we built a duplicate of the Citadel just in case anything ever happened to it, crazy how there are mass relays here too.

IIRC the protheans figured out relay technology and built one. It was like, a pretty big plot point of the first game. So mass relay technology is not unlikely. Also, you'll probably have to find homeworlds for all the races, and then the ancient Old Machines aliens will attack the planets and you'll have to pick between saving them or living happily ever after with your Elcor life partner.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2016

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

This is because you aren't actually thinking about the story. The game is fun, but doesn't hold up to intelligent thought. And the ending is even worse than you can imagine.

This is condescending AF. The game is the best in the series as far as game play is concerned, and wrapped the character stories up nicely. It does not satisfactorily wrap up the Reaper plot, but IMO they made that impossible by giving them a back story that wasn't about entropy or some kind of big concept relating to the fate of the universe itself, as Sovereign alluded too in ME1.

Geniasis posted:

She completely drops the ball on the "big stupid jellyfish" line in ME1, so I turned away and never looked back.

In all honesty, I think Meer is underrated, especially in ME2 and 3. And even in 1, he's usually spot on with the handful of lines that are supposed to be funny.

I agree. Meer sounds pretty wooden when talking to Liara in Me1, but he is awesome in 2 & 3. Hale is good as well, but Meer is more consistent in his delivery.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
In ME1 the side quests that involve driving the Mako up mountains are what cause people to hate the Mako. Avoid trying to drive up mountains. If that means you miss some boring collection thing, fine. But the rest of the side quests are fun. I also really like Shepard better than Femshep. Especially in 2 & 3. I think the voice acting is better for a 1/3 renegade 2/3 paragon that I always end up with.

As far as the face goes, it always turns out ugly in the first one, so use default and you can customize it in the beginning of the next one. Or import a face code.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Beefstew posted:

The ME2 thread was so good. Everyone was on cloud 9 about this loving series. I've been thinking about that a lot because I'm streaming through the whole series and I just started ME2. While the first game has definitely aged in many ways, ME2 is just as good as I remember. It's so nice. :)

I decided to replay the thrillogy and am halfway through the third. It doesn't seem much worse than the second, and even knowing how it ends, I'm enjoying it. The second game was definitely the high point in the series, but the third game is still decent. It gets poo poo upon way harder than it deserves. I have all of the DLC that adds to the story, and the EGM mod, which is pretty neat.

What's the best kind of party to have at the end? I can't remember what I did 4 years ago. I think everyone will be there except Miranda because I'm killing her off at sanctuary.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

You have bad opinions. ME3 is complete trash. Start to finish.

I disagree with your opinion, as it's fact that ME3 is good. Wrex has more screen time than in ME2, therefore ME3 is better than 2.

Edit: Sorry for trolling. ME2 is great and ME3 is good.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

GoneRampant posted:

Bioware's saying March next year, but given how they've been dead silent for most of the game development and we haven't seen a shread of gameplay yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a delay.

There's game play footage in the last two trailers.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

denimgorilla posted:

Every time this goes on sale, the dude who paid full price for all the dlc has to pile on people complaining to rationalize their own expenditure. What loving world do you live in that things don't depreciate in value?

Is the DLC less entertaining as time goes on? Does it physically degrade in quality, thus reducing value? Why should they lower the price of DLC if they lower the cost of the core game? Cars and houses depreciate in value because they physically get worse. DVDs cost less over time because of syndication and alternative revenue methods. I'm not trying to justify spending full price for DLC, I got my Bioware points on sale with the Origin 30 code, but I would still have paid full price because I support content creators.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

denimgorilla posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only reason it doesn't go on sale is because you have to purchase it with bioware points, a currency they no longer use. As to why bioware points never go on sale through EA, I have no answer. Effort?

I do feel like the argument against depreciation is disingenous and willfully ignorant of free market structure. As products become less desired, their perceived value goes down. Old dlc for an old game is not highly sought after and thus is decreased in value because of market competition. I'm not 100% sure if they would make more money from cheaper dlc, but I am pretty sure that without the bioware points hurdle, the dlc would go on sale through Origin as most, if not all, dlc releases eventually do.

At this point I'll assume you are trolling anyways.

Not trolling, I just don't get why people demand DLC goes on sale when the base game is sold as part of a trilogy for less than what the original game cost. DLC is a way to continue make money. Bioware points are part of why it's not on sale, but I'm sure they could get rid of biopoints as currency easily enough. They probably make a fair bit of money on DLC as the guy above your post mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Omegia is a story about aria walking all over her ex girlfriend in a fairly unpleasant way

the ex then dies in battle to prove herself to waifu aria

It's been a while since I played it, but didn't she sacrifice herself to defy Aria?

• Locked thread