Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So how often does the DLC for this go on sale, either individually or in bundle-packs? I still don't have any of the for-pay ones because I'm a cheapskate, and I suspect (since this is EA we're talking about) the answer is "basically never."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Yeahhh, that's about what I figured. Thanks guys. Guess I'll treat myself for Christmas.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Or, if you're okay with cheating to do it, just giveitem self 10 qa_supergun manf_geth_weap and take out a colossus in one shot. :shepface:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

hampig posted:

I've just come to this franchise late, and yeah the difference is staggering. I love Action RPGs, but I don't get why the RPG crowd gets hung up on things like inventory tetris or lock-opening minigames that completely ruin the flow of gameplay.

Also, I don't know whether this is opening a can of worms, but having just played through the trilogy back to back, I can't say I understand what all the fuss about ME3's ending was about. Perhaps it's because I had the advantage of having Leviathan+Extended Cut+Synthesis option straight off the bat (although the other two ending were good as well), and then finished up with Citadel, but it was an extremely satisfying conclusion to one of the best series I've played recently. I guess maybe if you wanted ME2 again where you can save everyone by using a guide you might be disappointed.
Try it without Extended Cut. Nothing makes sense and there's no closure.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

As a general rule, just take care of all currently available sidequests and get all open clusters to 100% poo poo retrieved (and turned in, if possible (it won't always be, because sometimes you can get stuff from those clusters before the dudes you need to give them to are on the Citadel)) before doing any missions marked "Priority."

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

n4 posted:

I thought the Protheans were the ones that manipulated the Rachni during their own cycle? I can't remember the game ever suggesting Sovereign had used the Rachni at all.
What? :psyduck: The Protheans went away 50000 years ago, and the Rachni wars were, like, 2000.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I've been finding Insanity fairly easy in ME3 as a Sentinel so far, but I'll grant that "so far" is only just finishing side quests before heading to Sur'kesh. Spent a lot of time in That Room in Grissom Academy, though :mad:

I like having the reduced recharge penalty Tech Armor and the 15% chance at no cooldown thing in Offensive Mastery. Not sure if that's ideal, but it feels a good mix between defense and low cooldowns. Also, the Viper rules, didn't think I'd like a semiauto sniper rifle but there you go!
Sentinel is what I did for my Insanity run, and I had a blast.

Several blasts per fight, in fact. :getin:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

1st AD posted:

Naw, it's just that playing multiplayer even on Bronze makes Insanity seem like a joke.

I don't think ME3 Insanity is any easier than in ME2, it's just that you get really good at playing the game in multiplayer. The biggest thing is knowing how to move around while being swarmed, using the map to your advantage, and most importantly being able to play the game without hitting the menu for powers/weapon changes.
I think it is easier than ME2, actually. ME3 has a lot more combos to exploit.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Also the real reason Control is the best ending is because if you control the Reapers, then you can presumably talk through them, and maybe tell someone "Hey, build me a body. You did it for EDI, you can do it for me," and then bro around with Garrus some more.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

bobjr posted:

Well I'm sure Harbinger couldn't be a worse love interest than Dianna Allers.
Just wait until you see him mack on the lady reapers with his space-fedora, you'll be thankful for what we've got. Also please probate me for one week if, at any point in the future, I unironically use the term "mack" again.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

E: Actually, speaking of which, wasn't there a goon that did some Harbinger voice clips way back in the old ME2 thread? Some of those were pretty good.
I don't remember anyone doing Harbinger, but someone did a pretty good reading of Legion talking about Zybourne Clock.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Geostomp posted:

This is part of why ME3 bugs me: the writers had so many potential outs, but just bulled on putting themselves into a corner by dropping all of it so the Reapers were so invincible that they needed the massive cop-out of the Crucible's mystery magic to end things. It's like they had to try to make things go so wrong.
The biggest/earliest place they really hosed up, to me, is the ending cinematic of ME2. After ME1 I was thinking that there were maybe a half-dozen Reapers. After fighting the human Reaper I revised my estimate upward to maybe 20-25, because hey, these aren't exactly the newest kids on the block. Then a few minutes later you beat it and welp, there's about a thousand of them. As soon as that happened, I knew we weren't getting an ending that didn't involve deus ex machina in some way.

If they had just kept their numbers low instead of going right to silly-land, things could've ended up a lot better narratively.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

epenthesis posted:

Would checking the Kaidan/Ashley flag really be that taxing on the memory? I'd sooner think that either they didn't want to record two sets of VO, or they felt that the impact of using the Virmire casualty might be blunted given that the survivor might also be dead at this point. "Hey, Ash. Um...why am I talking to you? I killed Kaidan too. And Wrex, and Mor- wait, you never met him. Lots of people. You weren't anyone special."
Clearly they should've killed off Hackett after docking the Crucible and then used him.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Not particularly, no. :geno:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Synthesis as canon would open all sorts of weird gameplay possibilities. Enemies too well-defended? Hack the trees around them to release poison gas. Then hack the pigeons around you to swarm them. Or flank them by telling the bacteria in the river beside their position to trigger an endothermic reaction that will freeze the water and form a bridge. Then tell the enemy's cells to explode.
So you're saying we could hack the planet?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I believe she's a bit of a Garrus fan, and the FemShep romance with him, and she choked up a bit doing the romance "final goodbye." I've heard her refer to "saying goodbye to Garrus" in a few post-ME3 interviews as her favourite moment.

She's also absolutely right because Garrus is the best space dinosaur husband :colbert:
If there's any time when it's appropriate to let your real-world feelings come through when working on a part, it's times like that.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The best way they could have redeemed the series would've been to add Shepard saying "I should go," "I'll take it," and "We can use this" when choosing Synthesis, Destroy, and Control.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Tirranek posted:

I'd have been more happy with the Kai Leng scenes if they'd just taken those few extra seconds off every time your character unduly hesitates. If he'd landed on the car and Shepard instantly shot, or tried to roll, then it would have been much less annoying, even if the end result is the same for each scene.
Every time I see that scene I can't help but mentally shout "Just pull up a bit, Shepard, come on, scrape him off on one of the buildings you're flying under or something, he can't survive hitting one face-first at 200 kph."

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

LSD-25 posted:

I made a small edit to a page on the ME wikia (removed a part of a really long-winded "trivia" section that wasn't accurate) and was IP-banned within 30 seconds. I looked at the moderator's page and it's about 10 pages of ranting against sockpuppets and banning people who fix grammar. Holy crap, whoever runs this site is insane (and fast). I was using it before to look up some decision tree results but I guess I'll go back to gamefaqs or something, wow.

I just played Omega & Leviathan for the first time; I really enjoyed Omega but Leviathan seemed kind of artificially stretched out with lots of flying back and forth between planets. It had a lot of text I guess. I probably won't get Citadel since I'm not super into squad banter and play a lot of the game with "no decisions" turned on except where it affects the final numbers.
I'm not sure RPGs are for you.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

JawKnee posted:

you can determine where you enter a system based on the heading of your ship when you hit the enter button :ssh:
:stare: I'm on my fifth playthrough and never noticed this.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The real reason why Control is the best ending:

Use the Reapers to rebuild everything, then use them to build yourself a robot body you can download your consciousness back into before flying all remaining Reapers into a black hole.

Shepard gets to continue to chill with the gang, and no more actual Reapers being around eliminates the temptation to go nuts and wipe out a planet or five.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

To me that is on the same level as rebuilding the Geth and Edi after the Destroy ending.
Yeah but then Shepard doesn't have a robot body. :colbert:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Don't think that was him at all but he is most definitely Uvenk. Unrelated fact, Okeer is Dave Fennoy aka Lee Everett.
AKA Hulu Guy

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

I don't totally disagree, I think bumping them up to major player in the universe was a mistake, I think a "Shadow Council" run by the Volus who saw the invasion as good for business would have been just as appropriate.
So what you're saying is, a secret Volus cabal?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I just want a Mass Effect game written by Obsidian but BW and Obsidz aren't on good terms after KotOR 2 was so much better so it'll probably never happen.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Hannibal Smith posted:

Where are you getting that from? I've never seen anything to indicate that.

Kotor 2 is one of my favorite games, but people really seem to make up weird rumors about it. I still see people say that George Lucas was so personally offended by the game deconstructing his universe that he declared it non-canon.
It seems like a pretty logical inference from the way Karpyshyn handled things like the Exile's death and how TOR did things like turning the unknown enemy Revan was preparing the Republic for into just more Sith. :shrug: It felt like they were collectively trying to either undo or water down everything KotOR 2 established.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

A slideshow-like ending worked just fine for Apollo 13. :colbert:

Granted, Apollo 13 is better than most things and also deals with (mostly) matters of historical fact, but still.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Why I think ME4 will be good: EA/Bioware know they shat the bed w/ ME3. They are also taking their time in making this. They wouldn't make something if they weren't confident it was going to be good. With ME3, they had to rush and then it all fell apart. But they can't publicly state this. ME4 will be good.
I agree that they know they done goofed, but just like with DA2, I think they took away completely the wrong lesson as to in what way they goofed.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Alchenar posted:

The problem with going back and doing another full playthough is that in hindsight ME1's gameplay is really bad. It wants to be an Action RPG and as a result the combat is boring, repetitive and based significantly on having an upgraded enough gun. ME2 accepts that the game needs to be primarily a third person shooter, but suffers from poor map and enemy design. Only in ME3 does Bioware really embrace the idea of being an action game and mechanically it's the strongest.
That's why whenever I replay ME1 I just go "gently caress it" and cheat. Level 60 from the start, casual difficulty, bunch of good armour and poo poo. ME1 combat is a slog no matter how you slice it, so I may as well have as little of it as possible.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Maybe, and this is just my opinion, but maybe it is possible that Mass Effect is both military sci fi... and space opera!!!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The best option is clearly control, because it gives you a bunch of free labour to repair poo poo with, and then you can fly the reapers into a black hole or something. Also you can keep one around to "speak" through just long enough to get a mech built to transfer/upload your consciousness into so you can continue highscoring at the combat simulator.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

MEUITM is the texture replacer you're thinking of, but it's several gigabytes and honestly not that noticeable of an improvement, at least to me.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Since there doesn't seem to be a general Mass Effect thread any more, I've got an ME2 crash question. Anyone else have a problem in LotSB where the game crashes when heading inside the ship for the first time and talking about the contractors? It happened occasionally on my old computer, and it's happening every time on my brand new one.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Error 404 posted:

It discriminates against the poor!
I hear when they built it they were given a slide rule and asked to just eyeball it!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

My single biggest gripe about the entire series is when Kai Leng is on top of Shepard and crew's commandeered skycar on the Citadel. The presidium has a bunch of skyways across it, why not just smash him against one at high speed?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoy that line because if you time it right you can make it sound like the one rule of Omega is "Don't gently caress".

Completely changes the ambiance.
No wonder everyone there is in such a bad mood. :v:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Personally, I think Shepard making peace between the Quarians and the Geth probably wouldn't have been enough to convince the Catalyst/Reapers that peace between organics and synthetics is possible. They've been around a long time, remember, and they've probably seen short term peace negotiated before. The question is if the peace is actually sustainable, and if so, for how long.

What I think should've been done is that if you have enough war score and negotiated a peace, then you should be able to just ask for, say, a couple centuries of reprieve to at least see if it can last.

e: This would also be a decent setup for a sequel down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

This did not happen. Yes they will knock you out of cover, but you have enough time to get back in cover. They will not insta-kill you.
They do stagger you like whoa, though, and the stagger animation in ME2 is ridiculously long.

• Locked thread