Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well no. I can do that silently. I came into the thread to express surprise that it's doing so well. I thought the community of people willing to finance games via kickstarter would need a while before putting money into another game.

I had no interest in the double fine game as much as I like some of their stuff but I'm all over this. It's nothing to do with it being on kickstarter or a willingness to finance anything. And everything to do with wanting this game and Fargo's pedigree. From my personal perspective it's no different than a pre-order or paid beta for an indy game or something.

Another thing to take into account is that the $200k or so is only from 3,700 people. In the grander scheme of things that's not that many. Even double fine's $3 million is under a hundred thousand people. Yeah that's a lot, but given the size of the international video game market we're still looking at niche. A big niche, but it's not like they're draining a very limited well dry. Compare this to the number of people who have bought minecraft or who pay to play WoW every month and we're looking at drops in an absolutely massive nerd ocean.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The original Wasteland from 1988 was a sandbox with moral dilemmas and hard choices, this 'direction' for the Wasteland series far, far predates all the modern stuff you're thinking of.

Yeah I know that, I just think the language he's using to hype the game has negative associations.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Fargo just sent out an update:

Brian Fargo posted:

Project Update #1: Off to a great start!
Posted by inXile entertainment Like

WOW!!! You guys are amazing! The fans are really stepping up here with donations and spreading the word. I haven't been more excited to make a game in over a decade. It is a dream to focus all my attention on making a wonderful experience without distraction from outside forces. We will not let you down!

Я не знаю английский язык. Как мне поддержать Ваш проект?

Also for our Russian fans, our buddy Yegor at fallout-archives put together instructions for how to pledge and navigate Kickstarter. If our funding stays at this rate we will be able to localize in Russian. Thanks a ton, Yegor! http://blog.fallout-archives.com/podderzhim-fargo-vmeste

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love all y'all.

I would post my Kickstarter pledge, but I will just leave it at "it is more than anyone else" and shift my eyes around instead.

It went up from $210,000 to $220,000 in the time it took me to watch the video and donate. And it has gone up to $222,000 in the time it took me to read the updates in this thread!

Time to update the original post!

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
It's been a long while since I played the original Wasteland, so could someone please remind me what the moral dilemmas and hard choices in it were? I just remember having to help a few communities, then murdering the Brotherhood of Steel-like group, blowing up the scorpitron, going through Project Darwin, and destroying the robot base. I don't really recall many moral grey areas, but I probably just forgot.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
We're now at 25% of the target. The Wasteland train rolls on :toot:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'll throw in $15 later, sounds cool.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How long did it take Double Fine to fund theirs? 8 hours to reach $400,000?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theblackw0lf posted:

I think it was only 4 hours to reach $400,000 ... or maybe that was 4 hours to reach $200,000?

In any case, I was pretty optimistic about this, but I did not expect it to even come this close to keeping up with the Double Fine Kickstarter speed. Here is to hoping the momentum continues!

Also thanks to whoever stickied the thread. This confirms my suspicion that the lack of a Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread here would have been a tragedy!

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
Threw in $15 now, although I'm terrible at these types of games. :v:

I am tempted to raise it to $50 though, if only for the sweet, sweet clothy goodness and box.

e: I swear that the pledged amount goes up by increments of $1,000 every time I refresh the page. :allears:

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...
I have donated $50 and plan on donating $100 more later this week.

Does anyone know if Wasteland 1 will be included with this? That would pretty much be a requirement for all donation levels!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I knew it. They'll double their goal. :)

edit: I know there were a lot of naysayers who said "only tim schaefer" could do this. Welcome to the crowdfunded world guys.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 13, 2012

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
I just put in $15. I'm not a huge enthusiast of turn-based games, but I really like the idea of direct funding as a means to weaken the hold of production companies on the industry. Plus, any connection to Bloodlines is enough to get my money.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Never played wasteland but threw down $15 anyway. Hope it makes it's goal.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Does anyone know if Wasteland 1 will be included with this?

Unfortunately not. EA still hold the rights to distributing Wasteland 1.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

:D :D :D

Does anyone know if Wasteland 1 will be included with this? That would pretty much be a requirement for all donation levels!
Electronic Arts still owns the rights to Wasteland, but Brian Fargo has said a few times that he is on pretty good terms with them and is optimistic that he might be able to negotiate something with them. At the very least, they would be drat stupid to not take this opportunity to put it on a digital download service since demand will be higher now than ever again (and higher than they could have possibly imagined it would ever be).

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

You do realise that your card/account doesn't get charged 'till Kickstarter period is over, right? (Well and if pledge total is over their goal) So go hog wild and up the pledge to 150 now!

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Quarex posted:

:D :D :D

Electronic Arts still owns the rights to Wasteland, but Brian Fargo has said a few times that he is on pretty good terms with them and is optimistic that he might be able to negotiate something with them. At the very least, they would be drat stupid to not take this opportunity to put it on a digital download service since demand will be higher now than ever again (and higher than they could have possibly imagined it would ever be).

Fingers crossed!

EDIT

Megadyptes posted:

You do realise that your card/account doesn't get charged 'till Kickstarter period is over, right? (Well and if pledge total is over their goal) So go hog wild and up the pledge to 150 now!

Certainly will! I'll just make sure not to go overboard. (thanks for money management tips, high school/college/current job)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Quarex posted:

EA is signed on with GOG already too, so as long as there's nothing unusual going on with the rights it really should be up on there with a bunch of goodies.

I read through the thread and I don't remember anything explicitly saying so, but is Wasteland like the gold box D&D games where the story is in the manual? I'd like to play it sometime, and a GOG release with the manual and whatever included would be fantastic.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Megadyptes posted:

Better yet, pledge 500 and figure out later where you will get the money!

I remember when this thing was first announced, I was like "all right, I will totally pledge $100. ... Hmm. How many times in my life will the opportunity to fund Wasteland 2 come along? All right, maybe I should aim higher."

Fingers crossed!
Seriously! I mean, I own two boxed copies of the game so I do not need access to it, but the masses clamor for the ability to at least dip their toes into the old waters!

Edit:

Armor-Piercing posted:

EA is signed on with GOG already too, so as long as there's nothing unusual going on with the rights it really should be up on there with a bunch of goodies.
Yeah, we are thinking something could appear any day, who knows?

Armor-Piercing posted:

I read through the thread and I don't remember anything explicitly saying so, but is Wasteland like the gold box D&D games where the story is in the manual? I'd like to play it sometime, and a GOG release with the manual and whatever included would be fantastic.
Sort of; the "Wasteland Paragraphs" book that came with the game has all of the text that should have been in the game but was cut for disk-space reasons (just think about how different gaming is now than then, ha); but if you just try to read them straight through, which literally every person who ever owned the game did, you will be fed all kinds of misinformation about passwords, locations, people, and even the entire plot of the game.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Brian got my 65 dollars. This and Idle Thumbs in the same month! I love kickstarter!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Armor-Piercing posted:

Yeah, it comes with a paragraph book that you need, because a large portion of the story is in that book and the game just tells you to read a certain whatever.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Brian Fargo and Michael Stackpole were both lead designers on Neuromancer. Another reason I'm excited :)

I sing of ARTS...
Mar 6, 2012

by angerbutt
Fargo make FreeSpace 3 happen and you can have my first born child.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quarex posted:

Also thanks to whoever stickied the thread. This confirms my suspicion that the lack of a Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread here would have been a tragedy!

I hear Shalinor's a big Wasteland fan ;)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

theblackw0lf posted:

This is where I think Double Fine was unique - the speed. The first time nature of it combined with the clever funny video helped create a real big initial spike of interest and money.

I think a lot of successful Kickstarters in the future will be slower burn. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them bypass Double Fine in total raised, too. You're just as successful if you make a 'measly' 50,000$ a day for each of the 30 days and hit 1.5 million as if you have a huge spike and front load most of that into the first day.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
100 Bucks donated, as a thank you for all the amazing games these guys made to this day. I have enjoyed every single one of them.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I sing of ARTS... posted:

Fargo make FreeSpace 3 happen and you can have my first born child.

Seriously - if there were one other project I'd GLADLY contribute to, it would be a new FreeSpace game.

Well ... that and a sequel to the Xbox's Rallisport Challenge 2 - C'mon DICE!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

I cannot believe this kickstarter for this random obscure rear end game from a million years ago is actually getting any money. I seriously thought it would get like 10k and this thread would be full of people bemoaning how it needs to be made.

Like I dunno. I couldn't care less about wasteland or whatever, I'm just baffled that this is actually working right now. Especially coming off the Tim Schafer 3 mil. extravaganza.

What's it like to get owned?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

How much was this kickstarter at this morning? I feel like it's blown up today.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Starks posted:

How much was this kickstarter at this morning? I feel like it's blown up today.

I thought it started this morning. ~6 hours to get to 240k?

E: I was in a meeting and now this thread is stickied...YAY! Keep it going guys!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah, it went live this morning.

But there's been a fair amount of noise about it in the last week or two. Fargo was taking his time to get his ducks in a row and get things ready to launch and trying raise awareness of it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh I thought so but then I saw the OP was march 11th so I thought it was earlier but I guess it was known about before it started :doh: That's pretty crazy though

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

ChiTownEddie posted:

E: I was in a meeting and now this thread is stickied...YAY! Keep it going guys!

Yep, it started today. So as of almost 4pm EST they're quickly approaching a quarter of a million dollars pledged.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Starks posted:

Oh I thought so but then I saw the OP was march 8th so I thought it was earlier but I guess it was known about before it started :doh: That's pretty crazy though

Yeah, Fargo had talked it up a bunch, asked for feedback on the tiers of donations, and also said he submitted it on the 9th or 10th. :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Starks posted:

That's pretty crazy though

Wait until Chris Avellone and Obsidian throw their hat in the ring. :stare:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quarex posted:

Actually, I just came in here to post a thread (saw the kickstarter on twitter), only to find the sticky. Kicked in $50.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fintilgin posted:

I was just talking about this with a buddy. I kind of hope they wait 6 months or so...I think quite a few of the thousands donating would like a break/feedback showing the initial projects they funded are progressing, etc.

But yes. Cannot wait.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fintilgin posted:

I'm sure ropekid/JE Sawyer will see this. Perhaps we should make a cross-post in the Fallout: New Vegas thread(s)? He reads those, as do many, many other people who might want to check this out.

Though, admittedly, those people are probably already here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Decided to put 30 into this one too. I never played Wasteland but I loved the first two fallout games. Hopefully with all the talent involved this will be as kickass as I hope it will be. Also since this is not governed by a big company I wonder how hosed up they'll make this, I'm hoping for some Road-esq type disturbing scenes (along with a the gallows humor).

• Locked thread