Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quarex posted:

Though New World Blues may have actually had even more frequent things-busting-out-of-nowhere; who else remembers killing about 5,000 lobotomites in the course of finishing it?

Quarex... it's like you're not even trying anymore, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quarex... it's like you're not even trying anymore, man.
ahahahahahah

no I was talking about my brilliant Mount and Blade mod NEW WORLD BLUES where you fight the enemies from Old World Blues but with crossbows and swords and in a medieval setting, so brilliant

And here I was all proud of myself for having inverted my sleeping schedule back to that of a normal person, thinking "I am clearly no worse for wear from barely sleeping last night!!! :waycool:"

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

I was just reading through that yesterday after making my post, and I could not find anything relevant about DOSBox, but that is probably because this was undoubtedly just under "batch resizing photos" instead. I have been using IrfanView for about 15 years, you would think I would know how to do that already.

I did a bit of fiddlin', and PNGs scaled to 200%, using the nearest neighbor scaling algorithm and set to PNG compression level 9 produce sharp 640x400 images that are 7k to 9k apiece.

Death and giant disembodied red hands appear quickly in the Wasteland.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ooh, that looks very nice.

Please donate to my "Give Irfan Skiljan $1,000,000 for making IrfanView" Kickstarter.

I think you are not using IrfanView I cannot see anything about nearest neighbor scaling :( Still, it did this, which looks pretty good:

From

To

I can definitely see the difference, but I doubt anyone will mind even if I cannot improve on this. Plus I keep forgetting to read the resizing thing in the Let's Play subforum, now let me go do that.

Editing in .gif and .jpg versions to check overall appearance:

Oh and now editing in a "resized" version apparently, thanks Shadley Puffin:

This ... looks better than the original. Well, we have a winner!

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 3, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

To

I can definitely see the difference, but I doubt anyone will mind even if I cannot improve on this. Plus I keep forgetting to read the resizing thing in the Let's Play subforum, now let me go do that.

The perfect size.

I can't wait for your LP. Can't remember if you said, will it be SS or VLP? I'm honestly hoping for SS, since I'll be able to enjoy it more from work, without raising suspicion from all of that video downloading.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

I think you are not using IrfanView I cannot see anything about nearest neighbor scaling :( Still, it did this, which looks pretty good:

Yoinks! Yeah, I'm using XnView. Somewhere along the line it looks like IrfanView is applying something like lanczos or bilinear rescaling instead of nearest neighbor, and so the PNG balloons to nearly a meg.

Upon further inspection, it looks like in IrfanView the option you're looking for is a resize instead of a rescale, which will get you something like this:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The perfect size.

I can't wait for your LP. Can't remember if you said, will it be SS or VLP? I'm honestly hoping for SS, since I'll be able to enjoy it more from work, without raising suspicion from all of that video downloading.
:) :) :)

The nature of the game virtually demands a screenshot playthrough with animated .gifs, though both due to feedback about the positive aspects of video even for something this simple and also due to my own lunacy, I will also be supplementing the screenshots with videos, probably one per post or something, just to keep things interesting. And to have my excuse to scream incoherently into my microphone for a few minutes.

Shadley Puffin posted:

Yoinks! Yeah, I'm using XnView. Somewhere along the line it looks like IrfanView is applying something like lanczos or bilinear rescaling instead of nearest neighbor, and so the PNG balloons to nearly a meg.

Upon further inspection, it looks like in IrfanView the option you're looking for is a resize instead of a rescale, which will get you something like this:

Yes, that is basically amazing. As I said in my edited post, simply "resizing" the original image actually produces something that looks BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL, which seems impossible, but there it is. I imagine it is because the original graphics are super-crisp from the obvious fact of being pixellated, and somehow the DOSBox native screenshots try to round edges or something technical I do not know the proper term for anyway.

But yeah, I love that I did not even notice that my screenshot became 750k the first time I tried to make a new one. Even the 640x480 one is 250k, but maybe I can improve on that.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

Yes, that is basically amazing. As I said in my edited post, simply "resizing" the original image actually produces something that looks BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL, which seems impossible, but there it is. I imagine it is because the original graphics are super-crisp from the obvious fact of being pixellated, and somehow the DOSBox native screenshots try to round edges or something technical I do not know the proper term for anyway.

But yeah, I love that I did not even notice that my screenshot became 750k the first time I tried to make a new one. Even the 640x480 one is 250k, but maybe I can improve on that.

I think it's partly due to the fact that the smaller the image, the more it kinda blends together on an LCD, whereas 320x200 blown up is so much more delightfully pixelly and in-your-face.

You can crank the PNG compression in the save dialog all the way up to 9 (which in this day and age really ought to be the default for anything that isn't huge), and that'll make 'em tiny. Like 6k tiny. :baby: And it remains lossless, so there's no downside.

Shadley Puffin fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 3, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

PNG compresses pixel art really well, but smooth gradients poorly. When you do a filtered rescale, it tries to smooth things out, which blurs the pixel edges and causes the file size to skyrocket.

Additionally, these images don't use very many colours, which means it can safely store them "indexed" (basically, it has a fixed palette of colours that the image is restricted to), which also cuts down the file size. Rescaling means it needs to hugely expand the palette (or switch to the much more expensive RGBA format) in order to store all the new colours created by the smoothing.

A simple nearest-neighbor rescale (what irfanview calls a "resize") just doubles each pixel, resulting in the same highly compressible pixel art you know and love.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Quarex, is the LP posted yet or are you just getting started on it? Then again probably no one would be posting in this thread if the Quarex Wasteland LP Extravaganza thread existed.

Did you get PAX passes?? They are sold out of Saturday now too. :( My Wasteland 2 goon party dreams are being ruined by their lovely registration system and scalpers noooooo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fun fact: Out of this 119-page thread, Quarex's posts alone constitute 10 full pages.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Fun fact: Out of this 119-page thread, Quarex's posts alone constitute 10 full pages.
So not even a full 10%? Frankly I'm disappointed. :colbert:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shadley Puffin posted:

You can crank the PNG compression in the save dialog all the way up to 9 (which in this day and age really ought to be the default for anything that isn't huge), and that'll make 'em tiny. Like 6k tiny. :baby: And it remains lossless, so there's no downside.
Hey, look at that! 6k!

Yes, I think this will do nicely.

ToxicFrog's comment makes me think there is probably something else I could do to get the filesize even smaller still, like ... liiiiiike ...

Dropping the color depth to 16 colors, you know, like it actually is, and then resizing them! REMOVING RUPERT BUTTERMILK+1

Bam, 4.43k! Haha. A DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT!!! Apparently I can simulate "slightly less light in a screenshot" this way as the colors become a bit muted. I should just tell DOSBox to work in EGA Mode, that will probably help, I think. Though I do think I like the 6k picture better.

HondaCivet posted:

Quarex, is the LP posted yet or are you just getting started on it? Then again probably no one would be posting in this thread if the Quarex Wasteland LP Extravaganza thread existed.

Did you get PAX passes?? They are sold out of Saturday now too. :( My Wasteland 2 goon party dreams are being ruined by their lovely registration system and scalpers noooooo
I am writing up my test post now, not that I necessarily think I need to test post, but I also would feel like a jerk assuming I am doing everything right (particularly as the last page has shown how not-aware-of-screenshot-protocol I was).

PAX dreams do not come true :( Do you think all of the days are going to sell out?

Hey, that is pretty good! Less than 10%! So I only posted an average of about 3.7 times per page :) :) :) I bet my ratios were better before the Kickstarter ended. Oh no and Nill is making fun of me now :(

Also earlier I was thinking your username to myself and called you "Rupert Peppermint," as further proof that my brain has decided to rebel this morning.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 3, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

Also earlier I was thinking your username to myself and called you "Rupert Peppermint," as further proof that my brain has decided to rebel this morning.

I wouldn't mind one bit, really.

EDIT: Actually, in regards to those two pics you posted, my mouse wheel is scrolling just far enough so that I can almost A/B the two (they end up in the same spot on my monitor as I move), and I don't see any differences.

EDIT 2: poo poo, I think if you were to put just ONE more space in between the pictures, they'd overlap perfectly for my fancy-but-not scrolling.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 3, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

Hey, look at that! 6k!

Yes, I think this will do nicely.

ToxicFrog's comment makes me think there is probably something else I could do to get the filesize even smaller still, like ... liiiiiike ...

Dropping the color depth to 16 colors, you know, like it actually is, and then resizing them!

Just stick with the original version, 2k is not going to make much of a difference and it's not worth potentially messing up the colours (as seems to have happened). disregard it's a problem on my end, they look the same

To put this in perspective, my Let's Play of Septerra Core used JPEGs in the 50-150kB range (the raw PNGs were pushing 500k in places) and was around 1.5GB of posted images by the time it was finished. You're going to be fine.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yes, PAX always sells out. I think you can still get Friday and Sunday passes but that's it. They'll be sold out in the next day or two most likely.

I had no idea there were so many particularities to displaying pixel-y 16 color screenshots. :geno:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, that line didn't work, made it worse, I think. No big deal. Point is, they seem identical.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I tried removing a line overall instead, clearly that will work for your lovely scroll-experiment. But yeah, they look close enough to be functionally the same.

HondaCivet, now Friday is sold out :( What kind of convention uses a location so undersized that it sells out in a day? Granted, I see from the Wikipedia page that it gets about twice as many attendees as the "big conference" I am familiar with (Gen-Con), so I imagine once you get into those numbers there are not a lot of places that are going to work for you, and they likely want to keep it in Seattle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Quarex posted:

I tried removing a line overall instead, clearly that will work for your lovely scroll-experiment. But yeah, they look close enough to be functionally the same.

HondaCivet, now Friday is sold out :( What kind of convention uses a location so undersized that it sells out in a day? Granted, I see from the Wikipedia page that it gets about twice as many attendees as the "big conference" I am familiar with (Gen-Con), so I imagine once you get into those numbers there are not a lot of places that are going to work for you, and they likely want to keep it in Seattle.

I was there for the first time last year. That place gets packed on Friday and Saturday. Sunday doesn't have as much going on, but it's the day you're likely to get a lot of free stuff as many of the vendors don't want to dispose of it. I know there was a raffle for some very large TVs on Sunday last year.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I dunno man. :( It took a week or two to sell out of 3-days last year and much longer for the single-day passes so I'm not sure what happened. No one was expecting this. The hosed up registration probably had people watching more closely for it to open up again. BlizzCon was canceled, maybe all the Starcraft/Diablo/WoW nerds bum rushed it out of desperation?

Either way, you are in Seattle so we could still have a sweet Wasteland goon tshirt party! :dance:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

:science: Why guess when you can know?

Let's generate a diff between the images. The result will be a number measuring the difference between the images (which should be zero) and an image showing it graphically (which should be entirely black).
code:
$ compare -metric mae -compose difference wl_000-4.png wl_000-5.png diff.png 
675.648 (0.0103097)

:stonk: What went wrong?

A look at wl_000-5.png in an editor reveals that everything is subtly different. Instead of black, it's a very dark magenta. The sky now has the faintest hint of red to it, and white is now the palest of pale greens. Whatever software converted the image adjusted all of the colours by one or two percent.

Well, maybe the image actually used more than 16 colours and it needed to do that in order to fit everything into the palette?

code:
ben@thoth /tmp $ convert wl_000-4.png PNG8:minimal.png && identify minimal.png
minimal.png PNG 640x400 640x400+0+0 8-bit PseudoClass 12c 6.24KB 0.000u 0:00.000
Nope - in fact, the 'PseudoClass 12c' there means the image actually uses only twelve colours.

After some googling around, this is apparently a bug in IrfanView's bit depth adjuster; it will usually change or even remove entire colours, even if there's no reason to do so. On this particular image it doesn't make a (visible) difference, but it's apparently fond of doing things like turning grey-on-white text into a block of pure white or grey, so who knows what'll go wrong in the future?

Telling it to use the PNGOUT plugin to save, and letting that do the conversion, avoids the problem entirely, as PNGOUT's repalettizer doesn't have this bug.

TL;DR: when batch-converting your PNGs from the original screenshots, these are the settings you want in IrfanView:
  • output format: PNG
    • PNG options: compression level 9, use PNGOUT plugin
        PNGOUT options:
      • colour type: palette
      • bit depth: 4
      • max passes: 4
      • close progress bar when done
  • use advanced options: yes
  • resize: set new size as percentage of original: 200%, 200%
  • preserve aspect ratio: yes
  • use resample function: no
  • change colour depth: no

Otherwise IrfanView will gently caress up your colours in unpredictable ways.

Alternately, stop worrying about a 2k/image difference (to put this in perspective: this makes a difference of 1MB per 500 images posted) and just resize to 640x400 without adjusting the colour depth at all.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
ToxicFrog, that post really gets at the level of devotion that we are all dealing with here, and I love it. Plus it will further horrify HondaCivet who thought the minutiae was already over.

Since I already have to batch process the files through IrfanView anyway, I might make that change just to know I have defeated an inherent limitation that I never would have figured out without CROWDSOURCED LET'S PLAY ASSISTANCE. But probably I will just roll with normal resizing.

Edit: Oh, and my computer managed to crash while I was typing some changes to my Let's Play test post. I have now learned the lesson to always type up offline documents in things you can save.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Quarex posted:

Edit: Oh, and my computer managed to crash while I was typing some changes to my Let's Play test post. I have now learned the lesson to always type up offline documents in things you can save.

You have learned this lesson blissfully early. It's a blessing in disguise, really.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Quarex posted:

Though I do think I like the 6k picture better.
Agreeing with this opinion, at least on my screen.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

The rat says squee posted:

If there's anything I don't want, it's romance. I don't think I've ever played a game where the romance was anything close to what you would call natural.

The flirtation with Falls-from-Grace in Planescape:Torment was amazing. Lots of innuendo and double speak topped with a woman who just plain did not want to let you know if she was actually interested or not that ends with what could be a promise or a threat? Perfect. Unravelling the former romance with Ravel and Deionorrah and uncovering that you were, in fact, a manipulative self-righteous douche willing to do anything to get your way and free of any concern for how it affected the people you wanted to do things for you? Annah who admits to wanting a relationship with the main character but can't have one because her fiends blood threatens to roast her from the inside?

it's a great game of unfulfillable and half-formed doomed relationships that you almost desperately want to succeed so that the characters (all drawn together by their tormented natures) can have a little bit of peace.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That image-differences post is why I love SA. Truly the greatest site :allears:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
T-shirt sign up will close tomorrow. Get while the gettin's good!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
"Why yes, my bank, I did just order $821 in t-shirts."

They are guaranteed to be at my house on the 21st of May. GET THYSELF PREPARED: Once I receive and review the final product, I will start taking payments and shipping them out.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I am fully prepared to have your, and every other, penis-based name displayed proudly on my back. If I can get the shirt in time, I'll absolutely wear it while presenting final art to my university's ad people for a local bus.

And if they ask me 'what's with all the boners', I will just laugh mysteriously.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

First attempt at Shrinky Dinks

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

AxeManiac posted:

OMG Quarex Shrinky Dink :neckbeard:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
And a Desert Dweller! Consider my dink shrinked.

Wait.....

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just need Scorpitron now.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I kept thinking about wasteland 2 while playing spore....

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I have spoken with customink 3 times today, and they have verified everything from my end. They are going to have to use a very special printer to get quality lettering on the shirt due to the very small writing., They will hand draw my vector to get the best quality screen, and are going to overnight me a sample after the first shirt is run, to get my final approval.

These guys are the best. Really. You'd be a fool to go anywhere else. The thought of someone hand drawing all those names is just terrifying (both from the tedium and the weird rear end names).

Let's just cross our fingers that the print quality is great, and no one backs out on their purchase, and I think this will be $820 well spent! :)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Great RB, glad it's working out so far. I might end up buying a bunch of shirts for some local bands from that company if it works out well for you.

RagingBoner posted:

"Why yes, my bank, I did just order $821 in t-shirts."

Haha, imagine how confused my bank was when I started buying stuff from Amazon while I was in Iraq for a year.

AxeManiac posted:

Holy poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RagingBoner posted:

I have spoken with customink 3 times today, and they have verified everything from my end. They are going to have to use a very special printer to get quality lettering on the shirt due to the very small writing., They will hand draw my vector to get the best quality screen, and are going to overnight me a sample after the first shirt is run, to get my final approval.

These guys are the best. Really. You'd be a fool to go anywhere else. The thought of someone hand drawing all those names is just terrifying (both from the tedium and the weird rear end names).

Let's just cross our fingers that the print quality is great, and no one backs out on their purchase, and I think this will be $820 well spent! :)

I don't normally get all weird and excited about videogame themed t-shirts but this one has me pumped. It's kind of an event for us so it'll be nice to have something to commemorate it. Thanks for putting in all the effort, RagingBoner!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

RagingBoner posted:

I imagine the first issue you're going to come across is when the person doing the hand job goes from RagingBoner to CockSnatch McGee or somesuch, and complains to the boss. :)

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

glug posted:

I imagine the first issue you're going to come across is when the person doing the hand job goes from RagingBoner to CockSnatch McGee or somesuch, and complains to the boss. :)

If you're doing hand jobs, I don't think you have and right to complain about raging boners.

This thread just got WEIRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

A tshirt printing business that freaks out over boner jokes and naughty words wouldn't last a year. I think we're fine.

• Locked thread