Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

glug posted:

They had a lot to say about it, and you seem to be familiar with it, but wikipedia lists I think 4 games using it, one being Wasteland 2. What else uses the Unity engine that we should be aware of?

A plethora of iPhone games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

glug posted:

They had a lot to say about it, and you seem to be familiar with it, but wikipedia lists I think 4 games using it, one being Wasteland 2. What else uses the Unity engine that we should be aware of?

The two I can think of is goon-favorite Kerbal Space Program and free-to-play, turn-based money sink Iron Marauders.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

One of the best, IMO, is Battleheart.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battleheart/id394057299?mt=8

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm perfectly happy to accept that it will be a suitable engine. Although really, at this point, I suspect the average gamer doesn't really have any idea what an 'engine' actually is. Gamebryo is 'bad' because Oblivion had bugs, Unreal is 'good' because we liked that one WW2 shooter, Cryengine is 'good' because Crysis is pretty.

Desktop Dungeons and Kerbal Space Program are both running on 'Unity'. Civilization IV and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion are both 'Gamebryo'.

I imagine for 95% of us it's just a fairly meaningless brand name. :shobon:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

glug posted:

The Unity website has an (incomplete) list.

AI War and AVWW also use it, as do Kerbal Space Program, Kinetic Void, and perennial favourite Off-Road Velociraptor Safari.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I'm perfectly happy to accept that it will be a suitable engine. Although really, at this point, I suspect the average gamer doesn't really have any idea what an 'engine' actually is. Gamebryo is 'bad' because Oblivion had bugs, Unreal is 'good' because we liked that one WW2 shooter, Cryengine is 'good' because Crysis is pretty.

Desktop Dungeons and Kerbal Space Program are both running on 'Unity'. Civilization IV and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion are both 'Gamebryo'.

What I love is equating graphics to the engine. I had to stop reading the Warlock thread to avoid going spastic if one more person went "Well of course they're using the Civ V engine, it looks just like Civ V."

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
There's this game, Interstellar Marines:
http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

I played the tech demo they had a while back and it worked pretty well as a browser based fps. Ironsights and really decent looking graphics. Space marines and shark alien things...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Unreal is 'good' because we liked that one WW2 shooter

Unreal Engine 2.5 was pretty dang amazing, not just for its excellent optimisation or ability to handle huge environments, but for the modularity of it. Anything from simple game rules to a full-on armory could be injected into the game code with incredible ease, and the editor was very easy to use.

Red Orchestra can gently caress right off, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I believe Pirates of New Horizons also use Unity. It's a pretty cool game, it least it seems like it's going to be (there's a demo). I don't know 99% of the games on that Unity games list but that is of no significance as long as inXile believes it's the right engine for their game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fintilgin posted:

For yet another contrast, the Epic Mickey platformer on the Wii also uses Gamebryo.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am also looking forward to the shirt, the Unity engine, and for that jerk Quarex to hurry up with his Let's Play already.

(I am pleased to say that I now have documented proof that devoting my life to this thread did not, in fact, get me kicked out of my doctoral program, and can thus let the radiation roll)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Look what I got in the email today:

Quarex, you got the final draft for this posted somewhere?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It depends, do you mean the final draft that was just a sentence long, or the longer one that several people worked on? The answer is probably "yes" in either case. Let me check.

I certainly have the Toxx Claws graphic, but I doubt that would be part of the survey.
Edit though to get the link here: http://i.imgur.com/yAYq8.png

Edit: Oh yeah, nobody really had a problem with the artifact being the SA grenade with the text "Attached to the pin is a note that says 'pulling here makes all your wildest dreams come true.'"

The longer version went through several iterations. And was more controversial since there would actually be some degree of e-cred for having written it, rather than just taken something whole cloth (granted the Toxx Claws graphic has credit too, but nobody can deny that they looked great)

RedMagus' version:
"The SA-44 (Shrapnel Assault, type 44) Hand Grenade was an anti-personel weapon developed in the late 20th century by the US military as a replacement for other hand held explosive devices being phased out. In early trials the feedback was lackluster, with troops reporting that more often than not when the pin was pulled the device would either fail to detonate at all or detonate immediately, leaving them holding nothing more than a slightly dangerous paperweight or alternately smeared across the immediate area along with anyone else unfortunate enough to be in range. Unfortunately due to the perils of military bureaucracy and red tape, these issues were never fully addressed and production was approved and ramped up immediately. Even years after the design was phased out, soldiers would continually use the memory of it as a prank with the new recruits. Especially hated members of a unit would quite often be tossed one of the millions of left-over SA-44s while on the practice range, and be told that pulling the pin 'would make all their wildest dreams come true.'"

Quarex' rewrite/addition:
The SA-44 (Shrapnel Assault, type 44) hand grenade was an anti-personnel weapon developed in the late 20th century by the US military. In early trials the feedback was lackluster, with troops reporting that the device often either failed to detonate at all, or detonated prematurely, rendering the grenade a mildly dangerous paperweight at best and instant death at worst. Military bureaucracy and red tape kept these issues from being addressed, and production took some time to cease.

Even years after the SA-44 grenade was phased out, its legacy lived on. New recruits not fitting in with the old guard might be tossed one of the millions of left-over SA-44s while on the practice range, and told that pulling the pin would 'make all your wildest dreams come true!' Recruits who survived this lethal hazing would often make a special effort to warn new recruits of the SA-44's danger--'just remember, if you pull that pin, something awful will happen.'"

RagingBoner's rewrite/additions:
"The SA-44 Hand Grenade was an anti-personnel weapon developed in the late 20th century by the US military as a replacement for other hand held explosive devices being phased out. The early field trials were... lackluster. Troops reported that, more often than not, pulling the pin would either leave them holding an awkward paperweight or immediately detonate, creating a modern art masterpiece of smeared gore where their squad once stood.

Unfortunately, due to the perils of military bureaucracy and red tape, these issues were never fully addressed. Mass production was blindly rubber stamped by top brass, who were pleased with its ability to inflict casualties, not understanding the body counts were for their own soldiers.

Production was increased, and was only phased out after the creation of a model which was cheaper and more effective (for the grenadier, not on him). Thousands of these rejects still exist today, often killing Wasters who ignorantly try to use them as weapons, and even see use as a form of gambling by raiders, who bet on their captives pulling pins in a sick form of Russian Roulette.

This particular grenade's pin is caked with sand and rust, fusing it to the handle permanently. Despite this, you still cradle it gingerly in your hands as you examine it, knowing full well that this little monster can make something awful happen. It even still has a weathered paper tag, attached by a raider gambler, hanging from its pin. Scrawled in messy handwriting, you can just make out the taunt to his prisoner: Pulling here makes your wildest dreams come true!
Sick fucks."

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 17, 2012

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Looks like they just want a quick run down right now.

Weapon - Toxx Claws http://i.imgur.com/yAYq8.png
Artifact - SA-44 Grenade "A defective surplus US military grenade. A small paper tag hanging from the pin simply says, 'Pulling here makes your wildest dreams come true.'"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Offensive material will be deleted

"Special Thanks to 'Games Forum!'"

I think this brief rundown survey is kind of brilliant, if it is for what I think it is. Just knowing, like, a bunch of names of NPCs, weapons, locations, and types of artifacts would allow them to casually work them into their earliest ideas organically rather than having to shoehorn things in after already finishing the main thrust of the design.

What I am saying is, this is going to be awesome.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

RagingBoner posted:

This is a thing if beauty, RagingBoner. I ... I think I love you.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... do we start voting for the item now? 'Cos I'm 100% down with having the SA Grenade™.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
We never really decided how voting would work, but when we talked about this in the "Get SA in Wasteland 2" thread, pretty much as soon as the Toxx Claws came up it deleted almost all interest in anything else for the NPC/weapon/location tier since it is so perfectly game-appropriate and forums-relevant ... the grenade was really the only artifact ever being seriously considered, I think. Except back when we hoped for $5,000 and the Lowtax statue.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh yeah, we put in the Grenade and the Toxx Claws, and had some back up ideas if they didn't like those ready just in case. I submitted the short bios, will follow up with the longer backstory. Like Quarex said, I'm sure they are just filtering out the horribly inappropriate suggestions and seeing if most of the people will be trying to put in My Little Pony or whatever dumb poo poo.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Our 50lb(!!!) package of shirts is due here by tomorrow afternoon.

Good Fundamentals
Jul 13, 2006

What you put in was perfect Axe.

Was initially surprised they are talking about a screen mock up already, but given that they been playing with the engine it's great that they can get some early feedback and discussion going.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

In US military stylings, SA-# is generally a designation for a Russian SAM. Perhaps an SA-44 is an experimental anti-air grenade :v:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chronojam posted:

In US military stylings, SA-# is generally a designation for a Russian SAM. Perhaps an SA-44 is an experimental anti-air grenade :v:

A grenade that kills air? Or merely moderates it? It would be perfect for fighting forest fires.

Also why the number 44? Is that how old Lowtax is now or something?

EDIT: That's pretty clever. It's a secret joke that we'll all get and nobody else will. We'll be kings of the Wasteland forums and their ilk.

EDIT 2: Wow I didn't catch that reg date. A fine year sir. Better late than never they say.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 18, 2012

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

FauxGateau posted:

A grenade that kills air? Or merely moderates it? It would be perfect for fighting forest fires.

It's the forum id tag for the games forum.

EDIT: Woah, sup reg date buddy!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RagingBoner posted:

That's a loooot of shirts :stare: I suppose that's when you'll want our money, you filthy grifter :v: ?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

AxeManiac posted:

Weapon - Toxx Claws http://i.imgur.com/yAYq8.png
Artifact - SA-44 Grenade "A defective surplus US military grenade. A small paper tag hanging from the pin simply says, 'Pulling here makes your wildest dreams come true.'"
The Toxx Claws still remind me of Freddy Kruger; we should've chipped in more money to get a fedora and a red sweater outfit put into the game as well.

I do like the grenade though, the caption makes it even better. I hope people are genuinely baffled by it when they find it in the game and don't just assume it's another stupid Holy Hand Grenade joke.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RagingBoner posted:

Holy poo poo I'm excited about my internet shirt.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Is it tomnorrow afternoon yet?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did we get Quarex as a NPC? That's what I want to know. The tier allowed an item and a NPC, right?

vvvvv aww. Oh well.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 18, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Toxx Claws are taking the NPC/weapon/location slot, which is fine, since they are a tiny bit more representative of the forums than I am. I do appreciate the handful of people who seemed to want me to show up in the game, though!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The Toxx Claws still remind me of Freddy Kruger;

I hope people don't just assume it's another stupid Holy Hand Grenade joke.
STEALTH TROLL SPOTTED

No, I think the Toxx Claws being reminiscent of Freddy Krueger would be fine, though they are kind of half-way between Wolverine and Freddy Krueger per the design we have from ChokeyChickenThunda. I do so love typing that name.

I had never thought of anyone confusing our grenade for the Holy Hand Grenade, but if you are going to have an inside-joke grenade in a post-apocalyptic game, ours is a way better choice. I think the avoidance of faux-medieval language or other blatant Monty Python tells should keep the comparisons to a minimum.

Plus the Wasteland 2 FAQ will probably already have all the in-game references chronicled by the time the game comes out.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The biggest concern in the other thread, really, was not to make it too obvious and stand out from the setting. An NPC named "Quarex", as cool as the guy is, would stand out like a sore thumb.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 18, 2012

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FauxGateau posted:

Anti-air typically means dealing with aircraft or airborne units. Something like an anti-air grenade would most likely be a heat-seeking rocket-propulsed grenade fired from a grenade launcher or RPG.

FauxGateau posted:

EDIT: That's pretty clever. It's a secret joke that we'll all get and nobody else will. We'll be kings of the Wasteland forums and their ilk.

Fallout New Vegas did this and is probably a large part in why we're doing it for the grenade too. YCS-186 gauss rifle was a similar reference to "Your Console Sucks" subforum here. I think goons just fell in love with that reference and wanted a similar one in Wasteland.

Personally, I think it's a really good one.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Quarex posted:

No, I think the Toxx Claws being reminiscent of Freddy Krueger would be fine, though they are kind of half-way between Wolverine and Freddy Krueger per the design we have from ChokeyChickenThunda. I do so love typing that name.

It makes me very sad that you of all people look at that picture for Toxx Claws and compare them to Freddy Krueger or Wolverine, instead of Deathclaw Gauntlets.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

glug posted:

It makes me very sad that you of all people look at that picture for Toxx Claws and compare them to Freddy Krueger or Wolverine, instead of Deathclaw Gauntlets.

Deathclaw Gauntlets also came from somewhere, you know.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mordaedil posted:

Deathclaw Gauntlets also came from somewhere, you know.

I have looked this up and it heavily resembles Freddy Kreuger's gauntlet from New Nightmare. Soooo ... great reference, I guess.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
The bigass box o' shirts is here. I'm composing an email with payment instructions right now.

Edit: Email sent. As soon as the dough starts rollin' in, I'll go join Brian Fargo in the Bahamas and wear nothing but these shirts start the shipping process.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 18, 2012

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
weird the email you sent ended up in spam. make sure you guys check there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Amazon link is broken.

Edit: sorry, the scroll down menu works but the Amazon button has no actual link. It's just an image.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Young Freud posted:

Amazon link is broken.

Worked fine for me, got a confirmation email and everything. Perhaps you are broken, Young Freud.

Is it because of your mother that you think the Amazon is broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Young Freud posted:

Amazon link is broken.

Edit: sorry, the scroll down menu works but the Amazon button has no actual link. It's just an image.

I had to download it then open with my browser to do it. Works though.

• Locked thread