Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

LotsBread posted:

I watched Damnation Alley, and to be honest, it really didn't push any of my buttons. I mean, I've read the original as well (both the original Zelazny version and a piece of poo poo portuguese translation in a pocket book collection) and the tone just ain't the same: in the original, what you had was a biker turned badass convoy driver Hell Tanner doing the trip through Damnation Alley, only guy who made a run through the area. In the movie, it's a bunch of tired marines of the Good Ol' U.S of A doing a last ditch attempt to reach a safer haven before dying in the desert.

But again, just my two cents.

No, you're right, the plot is garbage but the implementation of the setting is pretty well done. Dune is a much more stark example of the same sort of book to film fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that just what the American south west looks like in general?

I'd happily give up the majority of locals here if it meant having to deal with radscorpions and armored scarab-cochroach hybrids.

If Damnation Alley ended with them sinking instead, being just some of the many victims of the wastelands, I'd have loved it. It'd maybe a 3 out of 5 though. That ending is just beyond terrible.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
In other Post-Apocalyptic news, the EVENT (which you MUST NOT REMEMBER AT ALL TIMES) is now part of the past and not the present. We no longer live during the event. Special non-Event Distraction Officer David Mitchell will now entertain you with his Questionary on pre-Event knowledge. Lucky winners gets a whiff of pure oxygen and non-recycled food (true pig meat!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0ixdOsrY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWBiERHSEhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saaFuBasPZQ

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
At first I had no idea what the things you said had to do with a quiz show, but when I was laughing out loud by the end of the first clip, it seemed irrelevant.

Also agreed that the radioactive skies really should have been cool but just did not work a lot of the time.

Peas and Rice, what you said about the Postman makes it even more appealing. I am all in favor of the crazy libertarian end-days planning scene, since it is fun to play pretend, but yeah, it would be a terrible thing if those kind of people actually formed a new society. It took us untold aeons to ascend from "might-makes-right" the first time, after all.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Hey, Quarex, ever got around reading the links to the stories I PMed you? Just sent them over to see if you think of them as "Kosher" post-apocalyptic. If you think so, I'll post them here for everyone else to see.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

gender illusionist posted:

Just the other day I, too, sat down to this. The Fallout (the original) is right there - the total emptiness of the wasteland and even the colours of the city, wasteland and that little diner they stop at. I loved the touch of the constant daytime aurora (I assume that's what they're supposed to be). If you could see the sky in Fallout I'm sure it would have looked similar. That ending though... ug.
Spoiler, the radioactive aurora borealis is totally a recording of someone's swimming pool in the sunlight.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
From the Wasteland 2 Facebook page:

quote:

One thing we haven’t talked about so far is cutscenes. We want you playing the game rather than staring at cutscenes, but we’d also like to do an opening cutscene that sets up the history of the rangers including the events of Wasteland, a scene as part of our closing sequences and perhaps one mid-game cutscene. We have these written out, and we even have some great footage taken from the Wasteland Weekend to use in them. We’re not going to do expensive cinematics nor would we want to, but we’d like to get creative in the execution, find a way of doing them that is not too expensive but still aesthetically pleasing.

And what’s the best source of crazy creativity? You guys! In the comments, please share your ideas for art style, independent artists or directors that would do a great job conveying the Wasteland 2 feel without ruining the budget. We’ve seen some very cleverly done small films on YouTube, and we’re looking for that kind of independent but creative director who could bring a style we want. Maybe you’re familiar with a specific artist or director who has impressed you with their work – maybe even through Kickstarter. Let us know in the comments!

https://www.facebook.com/Ranger.HQ?hc_location=stream

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Oh my sweet God. The priest's cross from the first look is a tiny hammer and pickaxe. :allears:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hammerites confirmed. ;)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LotsBread posted:

Hey, Quarex, ever got around reading the links to the stories I PMed you? Just sent them over to see if you think of them as "Kosher" post-apocalyptic. If you think so, I'll post them here for everyone else to see.
I started laughing (in the good way) from the first line of "Silent Night," so I think that automatically makes it kosher post-apocalyptic.

(Though Fantastic Metropolis is of course randomly down today)

Edit: Oh, and I like that they are asking people "hey, who is making the best post-apocalypse-appropriate art films these days?" This is going to be awesome.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
In game related news, here is a good interview with Chris Keenan about the process so far. No real revelations, but it's still a good read.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kinda slow, but I got word from the Wasteland Facebook timeline that someone is developing a true Jagged Alliance sequel-in-gameplay. Supposedly, they got one of the big modders from the Bear Pit on board.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Errr...plus input from Ian Currie (JA creator), Chris Hatfield (worked on JA 2). They got R@S (Blue Sun Mod from 7.62), Flugente (THIS guy, responsible for many crazy features like being able to play a spy in JA 2) and another very important modder. This game is going to be awesome!

It's a shame that the company spent at least half of the campaign using a bad marketing strategy. They could have gotten at least twice what they got if a decent marketing campaign was implemented). This reopens the genre and if they want to do a sequel or DLC, I'm loving IN. :getin:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
What I really want to see is some 80's "PROJECT STAR WARS" tech floating around in-game as bonus weapons or hidden in deep bunkers, ready to unfold untold doom upon mankind. Gimme a laser cannon. Or some power armor. Or hell, the option to be turned into an android. The last one would be an excellent game-changer. Only one guy gets to be an android: everyone else has to suck dick and sulk. Benefits: Sweet-rear end armor rating, resistant to secondary effects and ability to interface with other machines. Down side: your dick is out of commission and you probably will never feel love again, but hey, Sweet-rear end AC, right?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Impenetrable body skeleton of steel but, a kitchen magnet will make you dance the funky chicken forever.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
And have the desire to sing folk music!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
A couple of months ago, someone I had just met noticed "GOON" on my Wasteland 2 Goons shirt, and we had a Forums Moment. I forgot to mention it at the time. And tonight I was at a house party, and someone was like "wait a minute, a Wasteland 2 shirt? Like, Wasteland 2 Wasteland 2?" and we had a delightful ~15-minute conversation about the game and the Kickstarter and tracking down the original cover art and how you can totally kill me in the sequel and such.

I mean, when R4B0 had these shirts made, I did have a vague dream that wearing the shirt would someday magically result in people talking to me, but I did not actually think it would happen. Wooo!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

A couple of months ago, someone I had just met noticed "GOON" on my Wasteland 2 Goons shirt, and we had a Forums Moment. I forgot to mention it at the time. And tonight I was at a house party, and someone was like "wait a minute, a Wasteland 2 shirt? Like, Wasteland 2 Wasteland 2?" and we had a delightful ~15-minute conversation about the game and the Kickstarter and tracking down the original cover art and how you can totally kill me in the sequel and such.

I mean, when R4B0 had these shirts made, I did have a vague dream that wearing the shirt would someday magically result in people talking to me, but I did not actually think it would happen. Wooo!

Further proof that you should wear it every day.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

quote:

Chris Keenan ‏@rangerkeenan
@talharbash @brianfargo It's going to be a very small video update. Going to show of the inventory screen functionality. Around 1-2 minutes.

Chris Keenan ‏@rangerkeenan
@Darth_Trethon @brianfargo It will be earlier in the week.

So. That!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Earlier in the week like TODAY?! :allears:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Oh, Brother, why do you tease us so? :ohdear:

I honestly want to know, though, BN, what can you tell us about the factions present in-game? If you can't say, it's okay, but if you can spew out tid-bits of info, I'd like to know how varied are the wasteland people. Is the hockey-stick wielding dude a shaman or something for a tribe?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
According to Fargo's Twitter, the new video was ready to go but it got pulled back at the last second because of some grammar problems. :3:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

LotsBread posted:

I honestly want to know, though, BN, what can you tell us about the factions present in-game? If you can't say, it's okay, but if you can spew out tid-bits of info, I'd like to know how varied are the wasteland people. Is the hockey-stick wielding dude a shaman or something for a tribe?
Can't give any details, Brian hates spoilers of any sorts getting out there, but well, there's quite a few factions and cults, and they get really, really colorful, often referencing mindsets of the 80s and other phenomena (not so much modern references, but setting-appropriate ones). It differs per area, Arizona is more subdued, but well, there's no lack of variation.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?" just went online, showing off the inventory system. It's... beautiful. :aaaaa:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, it ... it IS beautiful. I have been wanting to actually drink Snake Squeezins for 25 years, and I feel closer than ever now.

And can I be the first (well, the first here) to publicly marvel at the fact that the movie "Three Amigos" factored so heavily into this update, despite never being mentioned?

(name/outfit of first character, for those who have no idea what I am talking about)

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Quarex posted:

Yes, it ... it IS beautiful. I have been wanting to actually drink Snake Squeezins for 25 years, and I feel closer than ever now.

And can I be the first (well, the first here) to publicly marvel at the fact that the movie "Three Amigos" factored so heavily into this update, despite never being mentioned?

(name/outfit of first character, for those who have no idea what I am talking about)

Oh god, I need to watch that again. It's been a decade at least.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Worth mentioning that you guys are killing it with the sound design, if the intro clip is representative of what's in the game. Also, the inventory looks really boss -- even with placeholder assets and no tooltips it looks more sensible and common-sensey than a lot of other RPGs.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That is a drat fine looking inventory. Can't wait to play this.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
Are the player models final art? looked a little rough but everything else looked good.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Quarex posted:

You're being fooled by movie tricks, trick photography!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Guys you're supposed to link poo poo for the convenience of lazy people like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHN7QTcuqI4

Is it just me or is the assault rifle absolutely massive; sniper rifle as well to a lesser extent? (Or is your squad really short?)

The postures of your party members also look pretty unnatural.

Otherwise, the inventory system itself looks functional, the background's nice, but I wouldn't mind if the text size is slightly increased in the final release.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Had to watch the video several times just to assure myself that yes, this is Wasteland 2, it looks loving awesome and it's a thing that is actually happening. Also made me realize just how much I've missed humorous item descriptions à la Fallout and Jagged Alliance. Also, a broken toaster. :woop:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Rinkles posted:

Is it just me or is the assault rifle absolutely massive; sniper rifle as well to a lesser extent? (Or is your squad really short?)

They do look a bit oversized, yeah, but I imagine that will help you distinguish different weapons while zoomed out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Also the canteen has a typo, an "its/it's" error. :smug:

:smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Less then 30 seconds into that video and I'm totally glad I got the W2 add-on from the Torment Kickstarter. Being able to have a killer mariachi in your party is a glorious thing. :allears:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

Also the canteen has a typo, an "its/it's" error. :smug:

:smith:

Fargo tweeted last night that they had to delay the release of the video because of grammar problems. Looks like they changed their minds?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Delaying a video release for a grammatical error would be a bit goofy unless it's something extreme like "Brother None did a gag code compile with everything typed in leet speak and we accidentally recorded that version."

I'd still want to see that video though. :colbert:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

RagingBoner posted:

Fargo tweeted last night that they had to delay the release of the video because of grammar problems. Looks like they changed their minds?

Haha nah, there were a few errors in there they yanked out. This one was still in there. I pointed it out a bit before the update went up, but we didn't think it wise to delay again just for that.
(I think it also says 80's rather than '80s at one point, I think)

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Thank you SO much for making a lovely, detail-heavy, mousecentric UI. Fired up Skyrim the other day and holy crap does that thing set my teeth on edge.

Detail on mouseover! In 2013! Can I get a hallelujah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
You know, what I thought about it, looking at the tabs and lists, was how great it was that it was not Oblivion. It actually looks like an information-rich and characterful inventory UI.

Also, from the update: "This means Wasteland 2 is in a fully playable, “alpha-ish” state." :woop:

• Locked thread