Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Going back to video game music stuff I just wanted to note that the similarity between

Ultima 5 intro theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPkakVp2vk
and
The intro to Metallica's One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPkmIwwobA

has bugged me for over 20 years now. Ultima 5 came out something like less than three months after Justice for All was published though, so I'm not going to say it was intentional, and there are clearly differences. It's something that drives me nuts whenever game music comes up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Alright, fair enough, these are some pretty good examples of excellent hollywood VO talent.
drat right!

Icewind Dale Narration

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Alright, fair enough, these are some pretty good examples of excellent hollywood VO talent.

"War. War never changes."

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

"War. War never changes."
That does show another downside of high-profile voice actors - they can't afford to bring them in to do extra lines for the DLC. So even in Broken Steel, Ron still yells at you for sending a giant mutant who is completely immune to radiation into a radiation filled chamber to flick a switch.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RagingBoner posted:

That is to say, plenty of people basically say they can take it or leave it, but I've never heard anyone except publishers demand MORE voice acting.
There are a few posts scattered around the official forums and occasionally on the Wasteland 2 Facebook page that basically say "hey I know this is supposed to be an old-school RPG, but plenty of old-school RPGs are fully voiced, you guys seriously need to do it fully voiced." So, they are out there, but it does seem like they have really touched a nerve with the "basically, voice acting can shove it" thing.

Voice acting is pleasant enough in a lot of games, but it is not often I find myself thinking how much less compelling something would have been if it were not voiced. The Elcor in Mass Effect, Ulysses in Lonesome Road, I am sure there are plenty of examples, but since the average line of dialogue in an RPG is not supposed to be super-memorable, most of the voice acting is wasted on banality anyway. Clearly an RPG should be set in an environment where most beings communicate via the equivalent of sign language, so hearing a voice would be jarring and dramatic!

My view on basically everything people are rebelling against, from voice acting to first-person gameplay, is that it can and often is awesome, but that it is easy to see how the spirit of the old games ends up invariably lost in translation. We should all be fortunate that Deus Ex started life as a first-person game so that it was easier to keep feeling the same, as we saw what happened when someone updated a thematically similar game (Syndicate) for "modern sensibilities."

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Having voice be limited to a few characters gives those characters so much more punch when they finally speak. I appreciated the effect in Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

evilmiera posted:

Well, I'd guess because he didn't want to burn any bridges that early into the project. Most other developers are probably thinking along the same lines, but then again I'm not sure this is standard practice with all publishers. At least not in regards to VA work, the bug thing is pretty common.
I know for a fact that the VA thing is not standard practice. At Obsidian it seems like producers and designers have a lot of leeway over VA recording and line choice, and they have been screwed around by publishers as much as anyone else.

I guess it could depend. I think with new Vegas recording took place both in Maryland and California, so publishers probably do have some say.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
My favorite bit of video game VA is when you speak to an alien race in KOTOR and you try to guess which of the maybe a dozen soundclips of "alien-speak" the game is going to produce for a given bit of dialog.

Anyway, I'm all in favor of heavy text with VOs reserved for special NPCs. It really bothers me in games with full VA when the protagonist is silent. It makes conversations sound so one-sided and awful compared to something like Deus Ex or Mass Effect.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And yet, Liam Neeson kept me playing Fallout 3 more than I would have otherwise.

It wasn't a search for my digital dad. Who gives a poo poo.

I was searching for Neeson.

Which is total horseshit because Neeson should've been searching for YOU and killing nameless terrorists just to get back his daughter (if you play a girl).

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

54.4 crowns posted:

drat right!

Icewind Dale Narration

Fuckin' hell, that intro gives me the chills every. God. drat. Time! I must have completed IWD over 20 times, and yet, I watch the intro every time. It is without a doubt the best intro ever made.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

inscrutable horse posted:

Fuckin' hell, that intro gives me the chills every. God. drat. Time! I must have completed IWD over 20 times, and yet, I watch the intro every time. It is without a doubt the best intro ever made.

Well, no. But it is fantastic VO work.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Machine posted:

My favorite bit of video game VA is when you speak to an alien race in KOTOR and you try to guess which of the maybe a dozen soundclips of "alien-speak" the game is going to produce for a given bit of dialog.
"Bola bola sheetay ..."

There was a huge argument in some thread for some game (not in a Knights of the Old Republic thread, even though that was what the argument was about*) about "gibberish alien-speak" with translations provided. I was shocked to learn that seemingly most people hated that system, even though I absolutely loved it (excessive repetition notwithstanding). Someone challenged me to name even one reason that such a system could possibly be better than just having the lines actually voice-acted, and I suggested a game-long romance with an alien who does not speak (Basic), and just before the climactic fight in the game, the alien squeaks out "I ... love ... you" in your language; boom, alien speech 100% justified.

*Edit: Kind of like how this is the Wasteland 2 thread, not the Classic CRPG thread, which I just realized.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/30/obisidian-to-co-develop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/

So yeah, Obsidian is going to help develop Wasteland 2 (Hopefully, get to it nerds).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sole Survivor posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/30/obisidian-to-co-develop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/

So yeah, Obsidian is going to help develop Wasteland 2.
If they reach $2.1 million.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I can't believe this is happening, this is like a dream-team of rpg developers.

Just please don't let Obsidian touch any of the technical stuff.

e: Where is Troika god damnit, the dream-team must be complete.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 30, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

If they reach $2.1 million.

I have yet to pledge, so it could happen!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Now that is a new milestone alright :cmon:

Odds of reaching 2+ million before end of the kickstarter just went up up up.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Goddammit Fargo, I only have so much money to give you!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Attention Horse posted:

I can't believe this is happening, this is like a dream-team of rpg developers.

e: Where is Troika god damnit, the dream-team must be complete.

Jason Anderson is working on Wasteland 2 and Tim Cain works for Obsidian.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Holy motherfucking poo poo. Let's make this happen. :swoon:

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

kilus aof posted:

Jason Anderson is working on Wasteland 2 and Tim Cain works for Obsidian.

Oh my loving god

I'm going to pump all my money into this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ on a motherfucking bicycle. This HAS to happen!

Attention Horse posted:

This poo poo though, this needs to stop. Obsidian didn't do the QA for Fallout New Vegas, Bethesda did. And guess what? Bethesda's payment-plan for Obsidian revolved around FO: NV getting a minimum 85 meta-critic rating, which means it was in Bethesda's own interest to NOT adequately QA a game since it would cost them more if it was in fact too good.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
okay Brian you can have another 50 bucks but I swear that's the end of the rope!

seriously guys Avellone needs to be brought into this.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
welp, that's what I needed to up my pledge to $65 for the boxed version!

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
What. How could they make me want this so much more.

Thread title should be changed for this awesome news.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Welp, gotta pump my pledge up when I get home so that the greatest game of all time can happen.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Wait a second aren't Obsidian essentially toxic? Aren't they on the end of the noose of administration or something?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Nilbop posted:

Wait a second aren't Obsidian essentially toxic? Aren't they on the end of the noose of administration or something?

Obsidian is having some trouble, yeah, but there's no denying that they're darlings of the old cRPG playerbase. It's not a bad move to link together with them.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Mention Chris Avellone and you can have $50 more from me, Brian Fargo.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Nilbop posted:

Being abused by publishers doesn't make them toxic.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Smol posted:

Holy motherfucking poo poo. Let's make this happen. :swoon:

And then some, going to try and stick some more money into this if possible. Need to meet rent first.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Sole Survivor posted:

So yeah, Obsidian is going to help develop Wasteland 2 (Hopefully, get to it nerds).

Well that's that. I wasn't terribly interested in this game before but sign me the gently caress up now. $15 donated.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I wish I could pledge additional money only on the condition they hit 2.1

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Obsidian has a lot of pedigree in some of its people, but their list of games is not promising if you're looking for someone to make a traditional RPG. Course I haven't seen the RPS article since it's blocked at work so I don't know the details, but the idea of Obsidian being involved in the development of Wasteland 2 means it'd be going in a direction I don't want it to go. Hopefully it's just story and art work.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
If I win the MegaMillions Jackpot, I'll bet able to help them reach that 2.1 million dollar goal in no time.:pray:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Fuuuuuckk.... I am all out of money.

Here have... 50 bucks more.

:unsmith:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

evilmiera posted:

And then some, going to try and stick some more money into this if possible. Need to meet rent first.

Rent? Why not just give it all and live your life as though you're already in the game?

I'm in for $150 :unsmigghh:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
This was all the justification I needed to stop second-guessing my $100. Feelin' pretty good about that right now.

I'm kind of secretly hoping the recruitables from Wasteland make some kind of appearance in W2. All of them. Especially Covenant.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Holy poo poo, that rules. Gonna up that pledge asap.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Huh, Chris Avellone and his Badass Bunch? I'm having to pull my jaw up off the floor for about the 15th time since this entire thing started, but I've been at the 1K level since the first week. It's your guys' turns now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Ugh fine take another 50 of my dollars and this poster better be awesome

• Locked thread