Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

This is the worst topic ever because I am constantly reminded that it will be at least a year before anything tangible comes out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

The rope kid, he lives!!!
Mostly this thread appears to be dying to know if you're still a mole at Obsidian and can leak non-NDA info from month to month.

Also it looks like the Kickstarer made close to $100K today alone. 17 days and $320K to go for Obsidian to be contracted.

310k is a lot of money in 17 days though...

I hope they can pull it off.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

:negative:

Well, I enjoyed my delusion while it lasted. I'll start talking about "spirtual sequels" now. Preferably with turn-based combat and destructible terrain.

Honestly Sega having the trademark means next to nothing. It's not like there was some awesome fiction set up beyond SPY AGENCY and MAN WHO DOES CLANDESTINE OPERATIONS.

At worse they might have to think up a new spy agency and generic action hero name. It's only a matter of time before someone makes another spy video game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Quarex posted:

Brian Fargo would have good reason to toss in that infamous $100,000 he was going to add to get it to $1 million if things end up stalled at $2,000,000 on the last day. If we start with that assumption (which we probably should not), I do not think $200,000+ in 17 days is unreasonable. It was pulling in $5,000/day even before this announcement, and I doubt Double Fine's huge last day was a total fluke, so you have to figure there will be some last-minute "aw, what the hell" going on.

Looking at how fast it's been going up actually I take back what I said I think they are gonna blow past 2.1 mil in a few days. It went up like 1k in the time since I posted.

It felt good chipping in 52 bucks back before the Obsidian announcement and I can see that this new goal is giving people more drive to push it again.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The Alchemist posted:

Is it bad that I dont really like Obsidian, and that's why Im not going to chip in? Give me one good reason to give my money on this if Obsidian is going to turn it into Wasteland: New Vegas.

Yes this is a bad attitude because these are the guys who combined together made the greatest RPGs of all time.

Together they made Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, and more. Obsidian being involved will allow them the use of all of the experience and tools that Obsidian has at their disposal. From design to the actual game every bit of Wasteland 2 would be improved with the resources of an already established major developer studio and the fact that this studio also contains people who helped create the original and many more of the greatest RPGs ever made is also a huge bonus.

If you did not like Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape and the other things that were created from the Black Isle team then you would not like Wasteland 2 and should there for :frogout:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The Alchemist posted:

I dont like Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Planescape. I LOVE THEM!! :black101:
Seriously my favorite games of all time. It's not like new Obsidian is exactly the same group that made those games however, and I'm not really happy with their recent works. I dont know if its the guys themselves or the gameindustry that's changed so dramatically that is the reason of their games not being fun anymore, but something's going on.

I could go in depth with reasons why I dont like New Vegas but I have a strange feel that I better not:downs:. I'll just go play Wasteland .

Which is why new Obsidian as a whole is not working the game in this case.

The people like Chris Avellone are. The Obsidian thing isn't about pulling in the flavor of their new games. It's about getting the people who made those classics back together. If these guys were at Capcom or EA Sports they would have approached those companies about working together.

It just so happens that these guys are at Obsidian now. So you really shouldn't let that color your opinions negatively. This was the whole point Brian Fargo made about publishers dictating so much about modern game development. You should be actively encouraging them to work with Obsidian because you know the kind of games these guys can make working together with out publisher limitations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Crowd funding will definitely not put up 50 million in development money though.

If anything, Kickstarter is just filling a niche. CRPG fans are still a relatively small crowd compared to the larger gaming community. Publishers still don't know how much money/profit Wasteland 2 and Double Fine Adventure is going to make after release and as for profit companies, they look for higher margin projects.

Though I doubt New Vegas had an actual cost of 50 million.

People seem to forget it is entirely possible to make a game with out it costing several hundred million dollars as long as you spend your money wisely. The problem is a lot of publishers don't actually care that much on if their money is going as far as it could. They automatically assume expensive acting directors and voice over talent will make the game sound better with out thinking if that's right for the project and so on.

If the Double Fine adventure game and Wasteland 2 turn out to be super huge sellers doing millions of sales then it will absolutely change the industry. If the business model is proven that this produces good games then more people will go in on a kickstarter sort of deal.

Don't forget only around 37 thousand people have put forth money for Wasteland 2 and it's almost at 2 million dollars.

If the kickstarter model produces really great games then I can absolutely imagine more and more people going in on it. What do you think the donation chart would be for a game that had 1 million donators? 2 million donators? What if in the future everyone that wants to buy the game donates to the kickstarter equivalent for it? Imagine how much money Ubisoft would have if all the Assassin's Creed 3 preorders were in the form of kickstarter donations you could very well get close to funding that kind of project if a vast percentage of your userbase donates.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

You made the best choice.

Dude he made a horrible choice!

It can only go downhill from here guy.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Seriously I'm sure in the instances of the people who donated thousands of dollars someone on the dev team will take a minute out to write an email going "Hey so what do you want to do for your reward?"

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

It was brought up a bunch of times and it shouldn't be weird at all. If all of them sell (and everyone wants their statue) then there are 31 statues. Normal areas to put statues: parks, office buildings, museums, art galleries, military bases, libraries, memorials, town halls, schools, and universities. Just 31 statues across a large world isn't that many, plus no one will complain if they dump some/all of them in a quirky redundant area.

Yeah would it be so strange to come across Jason Alexander Memorial Library or a statue of John Twitterballs, first man to sail across the Atlantic ocean in a aquacar.

People are assuming by statues they mean gleaming golden figures able to be seen from miles around proclaiming how this person donated to kickstarter.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

etalian posted:

It's a good example of the more pathetic side of Kickstarter projects.

To be fair that wasn't a very good kickstarter project from the beginning.

Give us 200k dollars so we can show people there is interest in this project! is not a solid basis for a project.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Quarex posted:

It would be fairly embarrassing at this point to not hit the goal. I do not think missing the goal is too likely, though I hope Brian Fargo is ready with the $100,000 he was going to donate to the project if they stall out with little to go!
They are just about at 1.9 million and will probably hit it today. So yeah I think they can hit 2.1 in 14 more days. Hell I'm sure your right and Brian Fargo would toss in that 100k if it came down to it. I have no doubt they will get to at least 2 million long before the end and this is still ignoring the inevitable super rush at the end.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Part of me secretly hopes they end up at 2,099,999 dollars and Brian Fargo calls up Avalone and goes "Aw man you know we would love to work with Obsidian but we ended up one dollar away from that arbitrary number."

Then he would "HAHA JUST KIDDING BROSKI LETS DO THIS THING!"

Then they would fist bump over the internet somehow.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The paypal donations aren't reflected in the kickstarter right?

So they are already past 1.9 million.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Fuuuuuck I am so tempted to drop 250 dollars.. But that is so much for a guy with no job......

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

If we are to the crazy predicition part count me in.

My prediction (based on all my years of skills in animal handling and veterinary medicine) is that this will end up well over 3 million. I think they will earn well over a million in the next two weeks probably around 300-500k on the final day.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Smol posted:

:siren: Obsidian is on board. :siren:

$2,059,518 + $40,610 from PayPal = $2,100,128

I think the word you are looking for is

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Graphics and bug testing. Since they are doing a simple isometric RPG graphics are simpler and quicker and since it's Obsidian they aren't doing any bug testing Heeyoooo!

It also will go faster because they know exactly what game they are making and will never have to revise it because the publisher doesn't like the direction.

Games don't have to take 3 years they just do because of the dozen companies with fingers in the pie. Normally they would have to come up with a master design doc, take it to a publisher, have them ok it, constantly update it when they don't like something, and so on.

Seeing how Brian Fargo has been trying to get this made for years and years I think he's got a solid grasp on the master doc and how much needs to be done. With nothing to be changed it's literally full steam ahead.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DerDestroyer posted:

What are the chances Obsidian (being a big name developer and all) doesn't just eat most of that money and we end up with a sub-par product?

They are basically crashing on Obsidian's couch in terms of game development.

Won't impact Obsidian and Wasteland gets all the benefits of Obsidian's proverbial 60 inch tv while they are at work.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Masonity posted:

Sweet, at $3.5million we get Bioware on board to write the romances!

sorry. That was mean.

I'd pay 3.5 million personally to have Bioware not write the ending.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm saying Mass Effect 3 had a lovely ending.

The joke is I don't want Wasteland to have a lovely ending. I don't think this is a tough joke to grasp.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Hardly a unique setting, but the image brought to mind this little short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doteMqP6eSc

I think over grown downtown setting is pretty unique for video games. It's always just bombed out dusty wastelands for downtowns and rarely trees and grass coming up everywhere like there actually would be.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Quarex posted:

I think it might hit a combined $2.6 million today, the PayPal donations are probably going to near $100,000 on their own by the time this is finished. Good call on their part believing that there really were people who wanted to donate who could not donate.

I think there is nigh on zero chance of it staying below $2.6 by tonight. Paypal is at 74k and the kickstarter page is at 2,510,000 so really they only need 16k which seems to be nothing at the rate it's going now. More and more especially as it gets closer to the deadline.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Hey I've got no job and I donated $52 so no excuses.

You also know what...

randombattle posted:

If we are to the crazy predicition part count me in.

My prediction (based on all my years of skills in animal handling and veterinary medicine) is that this will end up well over 3 million. I think they will earn well over a million in the next two weeks probably around 300-500k on the final day.
HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT

Wooo!

RagingBoner posted:

Hey, you know, you're right:

That is a crazy prediction.

In all seriousness, if this thing breaks 2.8 million with time left, I will be floored. It really has to have reached almost everyone who would be interested in this by now.

PS IN YOUR FACE!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Makes me proud that I did my part.

I didn't find myself in the rough glance over it so I cannot brag about where I'm at.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Can you guys order next month? I get more cash monies then :(

What if we do a kickstarter for the t-shirts! :downs:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Lots of dicks up in here, lol.

People sure do love dicks and dick metaphors for user names after all.

Isn't that right AXEmaniac and by axe I mean penis.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

loving hell, I just checked shipping of a 1 pound package to Finland: $80!? That cannot be right... can it?
If you are inside the states the cheapest way would probably be a flatrate shipping box for personal shipping. That being said shipping is hella expensive overseas regardless.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

I just got a detailed quote... $110. That is NUTS for Northern Europe. I'd understand sub-Saharan Africa, but I'm just floored that it is THAT much.

Well, if you guys will pay it, I'll ship it, but I doubt you'll want to. Let me know if you want to cancel already placed orders.

usps.com

Flat rate small shipping box to the UK is 17 dollars. Just a t-shirt should be able to fit in any of those smaller 17 buck boxes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

A medium box would be loving huuuuuge for just some t-shirts. Unless you're shipping like 9+ you can use something smaller.

A small box is "USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" " which would be plenty for some shirts.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 18, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

Should be enough for three, but like I said, I'll get a box today and check.

Man, FedEx rates are retarded compared to USPS.

Yeah FedEx has gotten loving ridiculously expensive for international shipping over the years.

USPS is the way to go and flat rate boxes ruuuule. You could easily fit a good 2-3 shirts in the small box since you can cram stuff in with those boxes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

Someone ordered 2 extended size shirts already, might be a bitch to get 2 of those in a small box. The Post Office near me doesn't open for another 6 hours, after I pick up a box, we'll see what we are looking at.

I think you should be able to fit at least two in there.

Also hey absolute worst case scenario even if you can't it's cheaper to send 2 small boxes then 1 medium one.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I hope he knows boxes are free so he may as well pick up both sizes to experiment with.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

I did not know this! And the biggest shirts I have around my place are XL's, but that should give me a good base idea.

Yeah flat rate boxes are free because you pay for the shipping not the boxes.

If you're gonna do all the shipping yourself then you probably will want to order some boxes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Having done multiple contests and giveaways, shipping is quite possibly the stupidest thing in the world, and the most expensive. I'd rather go to the DMV than ship stuff to multiple nations again. Thank god for digital codes and bless you for even considering shipping to people who live far away, I'm sure I might have to ship some prizes to tiny private islands on the back of an eagle for the goon donation.

God no kidding I dunno where I would be with out international flat rate boxes. If you have to ship anything on a normal basis for a while then using anything but flat rate just murderers the wallet worse then kickstarter.

Good to hear you can fit 2 shirts in there though. Told you guys it's just a matter of cramming it in as hard as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Jonny Retro posted:

Seriously. I've had to ship a handful of things over seas and to military addresses. They both appear to be formatted according to the ancient tongue of the eldar gods, but as long you put all the information you have on there the post office can usually figure it out. I was sure I completely cocked it up a couple times, but it still got there.

Post office folk are fine folk.

As long as you have the country written right the US postal service knows where to send it so that someone who understands the address format can get it where it needs to go.

• Locked thread