Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Midjack posted:

It exists. It's called Gundam Collection Tactical Combat and came out in 2005. The Gundam Collection 1/400 figures you see in stores and on eBay are used to play it. I don't believe an English translation exists though a Chinese translation does.
1/400? Jesus. At that point, wouldn't you be better off just grabbing a bunch of SD-scale models and playing with those? (Maybe using slightly-modified Mobile Frame Zero rules.)

Edit Goddammit, now I really want to do that. Stop making me want to buy tiny plastic war machines, I haven't even been employed a week! :argh:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

VOTOMS is a pretty good place for that kind of thing. http://www.hlj.com/product/ban949841/Sci
Seconding this. VOTOMS is great, the mecha look great, and, perhaps more importantly, like actual war machines.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I loathe to recommend it... But try the place the local grogs go for their WarHams. Those little over priced army toys are assembled and painted very similarly to our little over priced robot toys.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a really strange question. Are there any decent model sets from Super Robot Wars? I know there's an Alteisen that's probably out of print for years (and thus an arm and a leg), and I think there's a Gespenst Mk. II one, that's probably just as expensive now, but I've no idea if they're any good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is the HG Build Strike Full Package a full model kit, or just an upgrader/converter kit for a standard Strike Gundam? It's kinda hard to tell, since the official pictures only show a few mold sheets. I'd feel dumb assuming one way or the other, and looking like an idiot when I'm wrong. Especially since it's going for like $12 before shipping on 1999. That's either a pretty cheap HG model or a really expensive HG conversion kit.

...unless it's very Last Season because of the MK-II, then I guess that'd make sense that it'd be a marked-down full model. v:v:v

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Here it is. They've got a 3-per-household limit, so maybe it's a kind of clearance sale or something. Except even at "full" price, it'd only be 1400 yen.

Hence my confusion.

But I'm dumb and have a hard time figuring out the site navigation. Also, their super-dark panel lining tends to look pretty goofy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Char never piloted a Gouf. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Also MG Turn X prototype:

Really loving all the detail on the parts under the armor. Gonna hope that head is just a placeholder though because the thing's supposed to be a helmet over a face not a regular head with a visor.
I love everything about that... except the feet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still think the Turn X's feet look grossly out of proportion with the rest of it, and that's a shame because every other bit of it I completely love. I ever get into Master Grades, that thing is getting kitbashed so hard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've done a lot of studying up, and making an rear end of myself in the thread, I think I'm ready to stick my neck out again with a "what did I gently caress up this time" post.

I'm considering grabbing the regular Build Strike (Full Package, not Star Build) as my first 1/144 HG Gunpla, since it's only like $15ish before shipping depending on where I look. That, or the Wing Gundam Fenice. It's been years since I watched any Gundam series, and remember very little, but GBF is goofy as gently caress and I love it. (Aside from that, I'm also maybe considering eventually grabbing the Kotobukiya Alteisen Riese (since the regular Alteisen is now a goddamn treasure) once I'm in a position to drop $50 on a plastic robot toy in a month or two.)

Toolwise, I'm thinking I'll run to Wal-Mart or a hobby store and start with the Xuron 410s, a capped X-Acto knife, a mechanical pencil (0.3 lead), some Future, and a can or two of Testors Dullcoat. Figure that should be enough to start me off, if I sand very carefully with the metal file on my nail clippers.

All in all, looks like I'll be getting in with my first kit and decent tools for, like, $40-60 depending on where I buy and how patient or impatient I am about getting the model I want. Is that a decent way/place to start, or am I falling into some giant idiot trap? I know they look fine "out of the box", and I could technically just buy the kit and use my toenail clippers as my only tool, but... :shrug: I like how matte looks, and it was payday today, so I feel like spending a few bucks on plastic space robot toys.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 22, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

That's a decent way to start, but you definitely want to think about how you're going to hold your pieces while you flat coat them. The usual method is to get a styrofoam block, stick something like this in them, and put your parts on top.

Fauxtool posted:

You can always build now and matte coat stuff later.
I'm confused, these posts seem to contradict each other. I thought you had to matte coat each piece individually, or at least each major part/section. Isn't taking a GunPla apart a tricky and potentially damaging process?

BlitzBlast posted:

And while you're shopping on Amazon maybe pick up some actual sanding tools, they really do make a difference.

Fauxtool posted:

dont use the back of your nail clippers. Invest like $2 in some fine grit sandpaper and glue it to anything solid.
Get some actual sandpaper, got it.

Fauxtool posted:

Where are you located?
About 30 minutes from Cumberland, MD.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, looks like nowhere local sells gunpla, so I'll probably have to import. If I do, what's the general consensus on the two shipping methods? SAL is a lot cheaper for lighter packages, but the uninsured/3-week time is making me wary.

Could've sworn I saw a discussion about this a few pages ago, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It looks like I can actually get a Plavisky Wing Star Build Strike for the same price as the regular Build Strike + Shipping. I was going to have to get the tools on Amazon anyways, so I can throw that in there, and get free shipping. :toot:

...anyone have any experience with putting Future on the translucent wing effect bits? I'm wondering if it'd make them look better. Since, from the pictures, they look pretty plastic-y.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hm... I wonder if there's a way to use Future, and then intentionally frost the plastic slightly. That seems like it'd make a cool effect.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How's the base that comes with the Plavisky-Wing Star Build Strike? It looks like it's decent for display, if not as dynamic as a proper action base.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

unpurposed posted:

Finished the HG Build Strike Full Package. I enjoyed putting it together, but there were way too many seals. Probably going to be my last HG as I'd like to move onto MGs now.

and more images here: http://imgur.com/a/V4nBr
That looks pretty cool, but that blue is almost too blue. Also, aren't the guns on the side supposed to be a different color?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Star Build Strike arrived early! I've got my X-Acto and my work station set up, but I'm still waiting on the flush cutters and the sandpaper (which probably won't be here until Monday). It is so very, very tempting to just get to it now, at least on cutting off some runners and messing around with what does and doesn't work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

If you have some sort of lining tool, you could always just line the parts while they're on the runners.
That's not a terrible idea, though the only pencils I've been able to find were 0.5. :saddowns: Gonna try to hit up an art supply store in town on Monday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If she's really into Gundam Build Fighters, why not just get her a Zaku Amazing? You can still find them in stock at decent prices in some places.

I got my Plavisky-Wing Star Build Strike on Amazon for like $20. Was here in 3 days flat (with the 5-9 shipping you get free with +$35 orders). You wanna grab her and yourself a couple of kits (which would definitely be enough to hit the free shipping), and build them together, you'd probably have a lot of fun.

New HGs are very forgiving, I've been assembling mine with very little but an X-Acto knife & some nail clippers for segmenting thick runners, and some Future for the translucent pieces, and it's coming together quite nicely, despite my complete lack of experience. You may need to help her with the smaller stickers, though, there's a couple that are way too easy to gently caress up and lose forever. I had to adjust most of the head stickers on my Star Build with the X-Acto knife. (Especially that loving tiny back-of-the-head camera! :argh:)

Edit HobbySearch and Amazon both still have the Zaku Amazing in stock.

Edit2 You may also wanna find somewhere to pre-order the Bearguy-III, because she is going to be willing to kill for one.

Edit3

Apologies for potato picture, it's currently 6:30 AM, so phone pics are the best I can do. Working on better ones.

Progress report on previously-mentioned SBS. I'm about halfway through, got the base body built. It's been a fun build, has taken about 6-8 hours, between cutting pieces, removing sprue nubs, and trying to sand what I can of what's left away, then scrambling to pick up the pieces I keep dropping with my big fat fingers before the dog eats them. The model itself is fairly nice, though the right thigh's pivot joint has stubbornly insisted on staying very loose despite several dips in Future. It's not a huge deal during posing, since gravity keeps things together nicely, it's only really during moving it around and flying it through the air making space ship noises with my mouth that it's an issue.

You can't really tell, but I also dunked the red head 'gem' in future for a gloss coat, and the contrast looks very good against everything else. I hope I can figure out a way to preserve that (as well as the translucent bits on the sides of the shins) once I eventually give everything else a matte coating.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 30, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Crossbone Maoh's finally gotten some fully-stickered pictures. I was worried the standard holdy-hands were going to sag with those huge cutter/beam gun weapons, but it looks like they skipped that by just making the wrist joints too short to tilt. Though I have no idea why anyone would use anything but those "V" hands :allears:.
Oh my god, those under-arm blade holders alone are enough to make me want to buy the kit, so I can kitbash it with a Sengoku Astray, and have a Gundam Shiva it up with six blades.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:swoon:

Any idea on what the price point on this is going to be? Looks like AmiAmi currently has it for about 3000 yen, but I've no idea if that's because it's been out of print for a while or not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just when you thought you'd seen the last Unicorn Gundam, There's a special-edition 7-11 one coming :regd08:. That said, I actually kinda like it. The transparent pieces make it look like it's full of green slurpee or something.
I like the color scheme, and wanna know what colors they used.

However, I also know it's gonna be up to like $150 by about 10-12 hours after release. :rodimus:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a really cool trick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wanna kitbash some HG stuff that has multiple arms, and make a Gundam holding as many weapons at the same time as is humanly possible. At least six swords, a chest cannon, maybe some bits, all incorporated into a body that doesn't look too bad without having to repaint everything (I'll save that for when I inevitably make the MG version).

Right now I'm thinking of just bashing a Sengoku Astray and a Crossbone Maoh. Is there anything else that'd obviously go well with these two?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Suzaku posted:

Got a surprise arrival today. Also, a couple things from earlier this week because who doesn't like mustached butterflies and this thread can be super convincing when it's not trying.

Please give us constant updates on building that monster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, you'll all be excited to know that there's apparently an RG-Mode Star Build Strike HG kit finally coming. And then disappointed to learn that it's a P-Bandai Hobby Shop Online Exclusive :v:
That looks really cool, but my days of playing with Transformers have made me terrified of non-standard plastic and that it'd crumble to bits at the first touch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Not a model kit, but the new Robot Damashii G Gundam figure looks pretty flippin' fantastic.
drat, that's some nice poseability. And I love that blade.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

Why does it need a foregrip when its a robot that should have no issue holding a gun stable?

BlitzBlast posted:

90% of giant robot design is about looking cool, not being practical.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

a practical giant robot design is a gun with several thrusters and no pilot
Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That looks drat cool, but the paint seems to have been laid on pretty thick. Is that just because metallic paints are a bitch to work with and thin properly?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goddamn, that's amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Since we're on the subject, let me show you guys a REAL Chogokin:

Release Date: December
Release Price: 32,400 yen...

Ouch. :(
I'm surprised they've actually figured out a way to make a combining mecha with decent articulation. I mean, GGG isn't exactly the most complex of combiners, but still. Speaks well for someday finally getting an affordable Sentai/Megazord toy that can do more than just swing its shoulders. (Not counting the Figuarts 'one-solid-figure' type.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

runwiled posted:

I'm not dead.

I've just been busy.

Only things left to complete are hands and weapons. I'll post more images of the process if people are still interested in knowing , just thought I should let you know that this project is far from abandoned.
You're a wizard, right? That's what that is? You magic-ed up a real mobile suit and then shrunk it down to Gunpla size.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh man, that's big. The local store where I live has a single Neo Zeong box, it's being used as basically a table to stack the other new gunpla releases on top of. I don't know what they'd do if someone bought the drat thing.
I'd assume they'd just buy a table.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

madpanda posted:

Is there a place to buy assorted polycap sheets or even replacements for kits?
Buy a cheap polycapped HG and just salvage it for parts? :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

And worse than that is when you realize you pulled it apart but didn't actually put then polycap in it and have to pull it apart again.
I physically cringed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished my attempt to rehabilitate the AGE-1 Spallow

It's quite the classy ninja!

The articulation is surprisingly good (it's amazing how much better it looks without that awful spoiler)

So you can get it into all sorts of fun poses

I'm really impressed by the flexibility, it's really stable even in spite of the really narrow feet (this is all supported by the legs)

Looks good, but paint in more numerous, thinner coats. That paint looks really thick and you can see a lot of brush lines in it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If there's one thing that being a shameless toy addict has taught me, it's that even just making a regular old transforming toy is a lot easier to gently caress up than it looks. Make that toy into a model kit, you got some real problems to overcome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm hoping PG Unicorn's "third mode" isn't just a polite euphemism for what happens when it collapses under its own weight and falls off the display shelf.
On the other hand, that being officially recognized would be a sight to behold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

I'll say!

That Deathscythe Hell is completely without any kind of panorama or base at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I choose to believe the question is being asked because the poster is homebrewing a Genesic GaoGaiGar.

• Locked thread