Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Been on a big gunpla kick recently. Finally realized all my tiny tip micro and copics I never use for drawing are great 'gundam' markers. Tested it out on my Zaku 1 (seemed appropriate) and I loved the results. Been sitting here for 6 fuckin hours marking up my master grades and taking care of old nubbies I wasn't as diligent about when I first got into gunpla.

Currently putting together an MG marasai, after finishing an HG unicorn my brother got me for christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Even if you don't use it, Zeta 2.0 is still designed to transform. The arms are incredibly awkward, the balance is a joke, most of its weapons are too big for their own good, and good luck doing anything beyond the box art pose.

It's still miles better than the 1.0, but the Zeta is by far the worst of the 2.0s. The design is just straight up not model kit friendly.

At least Zeta comes with a stand; it's absolutely abysmal to try and pose without it, even with those big ol fuckin feet.

Worth noting that the hyper mega launcher is bascially only feasible in space. Still, it bugs me that the quality of hand design is all over the loving place for MGs. You'd have think they would have nailed a double peg / hole system for the palms or something by now. The ones with the minuscule slit / hole are a joke.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

If I really mess up panel lining somehow, and I can't get it off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, could I stand to just drop the part into a dish of rubbing alcohol?

Lines wipe away really easy when you first do them so don't sweat it too bad.

I'm not crazy mister paint and perfection guy, but I line then kinda finger away the excess and it looks pretty cool most of the time IMO. The faint residue even gives the panels a bit of texture they wouldn't normally have unpainted.

On the subject of lines, whats the general wisdom about darker colors? I mean, for my zauks and dom it didn't make sense to do much if any work on the darker portions. Do people ever use light markers for it or is it basically "don't worry about it"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Okay so is build fighters good or something or are the kit bashes from it just really fun? Cuz you boys be talkin it up.

Ps slowly working through my Marasai

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

Between the Gelgoog and Z'gok, Char has hideous taste in MS.

On the other hand, it's progress towards an RG Gouf and an RG Ground Type.

Gelgoog owns what you talkin bout son.

Just picked up MG GM custom. Something to make moon eyes at while I dick around making my marasai.

I keep picking up cheap grunt suits and I just wanna get Perfect Zeong so bad :cry:

EDIT: I am in the middle of having to do the billion little tube parts and it is loving hell there are the worst please bandai make them all one part it's okay really.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 19, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, the MG Tallgeese was released in 2013 and still uses sword/gun/fist hands? That's disappointing.

The EW wing figures are sorta dainty compared to most of the UC figures.

The Wing Gundam Ver EW used three-one-thumb and it sucks poo poo. I wish it was the sword gun fist ones cuz it can't grip the Buster Rifle for the life of it.

What's more inexplicable is the Ver EW Epyon DOES use sword/fist hands and they look really really cheap.

Honestly I should just swap their hands now that I think of it, since they are perfectly wrong for their own accessories.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does Heavyarms extend to those criticisms? That's on my list as a kit I may like, but if it's flimsy/finnicky/poorly poseable I don't want it.

I don't think they are 'flimsy' so much as a bit lighter since they are thinner mobile suits than a lot of the UC mainstays. That said, not having done heavy arms, I have to guess that it probably wold be better balanced that Wing / epyon just because of the lack of wings. Luckily, heavyarms can have the gatt attach straight to the arm, so that's more on the joints than the hands in terms of handling weight, though it looks like it has a hand held mode as well that you might wanna investigate the hand type for since the gun is so big. Amazon reviews are happy with the model though there are a lot of complains about trouble holding the gun weight in hand mode (but this is true of just about any large weapon for gunpla)

Taking a look the the vEwW heavyarms for the first time though, drat, that's way more baddass than the heavyarms custom or original version.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

unpurposed posted:

Finished the HG Build Strike Full Package. I enjoyed putting it together, but there were way too many seals. Probably going to be my last HG as I'd like to move onto MGs now.

and more images here: http://imgur.com/a/V4nBr

Base lookin like it aint never see a dishrag.

S-Alpha posted:

:swoon: I want everything in the world to be that shade of blue. I wish these builders would tell what kind of paints they used, I need to paint every kit I own that color.

Jesus. I love the unicorn and have an HGUC of it but I don't think I could ever bring myself to build the MG with all those lil armor parts :O

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

S-Alpha posted:

I've built two MG Unicorns, have one sitting unbuilt until I'm a good enough modeller to do it justice, and I'm probably gonna get at least two more in the future.

What the gently caress man? All unicorn? Not even banshee or Phenex?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Wrong Gundam there buddy. Freedom =/= Strike Freedom. :v:

These two have entered their final pose:

I might grab one of those 1/100 beam sabers off ebay that actually look cool for Wing Zero.

I have ew wing gundam and ew epyon and I have to say, epyon looks waaaay better in the air like that. The transformation (which was a pretty lovely alternate mode anyway and barely got any screen time because of it) makes it difficult to do anything interesting on the ground. And the hands / forearms are really terrible.

EW Epyon also has the most baby birthing hips I ever saw on a gundam.

This is the best I've come up with in the limited space I have:

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 30, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reminds me of when I took a lighter to my tallgeese 2 gently caress-if-I-know-what kit when I was a teenager

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Freedom can actually hold his beam rifle with some fiddling, but WZC? HAHAHAHAHAHA

That required superglue. Plus, I actually had to turn the shoulder joint upside-down cause the shoulder can't support the Buster Rifle's weight.

That's not the Wing Zero Custom :armcross:

I have gotten the Wing Gundam Ver EW to hold the buster rifle like twice un assited but I am ocd with changing out poses and weapons so I can't bring myself to glue.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

The Wing vEW is actually the WZC repainted and with different wings. :ssh:

still isn't wzc :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Snapped off a leg peg on my zaku II 2.0 today. Super glue fixed that poo poo great though.

I saw a good review of a OG MG GM on dalong but I cant for the life of me figure out what model it's supposed to be. There's a poo poo load of GMs on amazon; which mg GM is cool on the inside, retro on the outside, and not trash garbage like some of them supposedly are?

There are gundam HGs and MGs at the B&N in milwaukee; all Gundam Wing and Seed. Cool, though I was hoping they would have some stands for sale next to them (they did not).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I want a MG unicorn, and that one guy has like 4 of the fuckers, but everything I hear makes me worry about it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Is it pretty legit on a stand? Where does it rate against say the Zeta 2.0?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would love love love a Neo Zeong but correct me if I'm wrong but it's 144 scale right? As silly as it is it would bug me that it's out of scale with all my MG gunpla.

Plus it will be good while before I can plunk down that kinda scratch on plastic. I'd go for that Soul of Chogokin Gunbuster for that kind of cash first.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yo so I've heard about this gundam Phenex unicorn thing here several times and, having seen the last episode of Unicorn only kinda shtifaced, where is that from? I don't recall it and having read this thread I kept going "soooo when is that other one gonna show up?"

Bimmi posted:

From the comments:

That commentator uses sharp cutty things for a hobby and I think this reply is evidence that should not be allowed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I am king dork of the cube farm

Edit: well I guess attachments are broken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 19, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bimmi posted:

V Gundam was specifically targeted at younger audiences and we all know how that turned out.

v gundam was 'targeted' at 'young audiences'

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Would heat + shove be applicable to the pg rx78? The screws are what have had me put off finishing the legs for 4 years.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

When? 2b pencils are fantastic, nice dark lines, but not cartoonishly dark like with pens.

gundam is a cartoon ????

Gihon posted:

There are gundam markers that are smaller and designed for panel lining, but I haven't used them for panel lining since I bought a micron.

yeah I use micron and copic myself. There are always tiny tiny tiny tips when you get a 'pack' that I never end up using for drawing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just get some of that sticky tacky picture holdy stuff. Holds up big guns for big bots and relatively simple to get off when you are done (might not be friendly with paint). put some in the grip and if it's got a longer stock you can tack the gun to the forearm.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 16, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mecha Gojira posted:

What I've considered doing is just drilling a hole with a pin vise from the polycap wrist socket into the ball joint of the manipulator. It'll kill any kind of lateral motion, but should still keep some rotation while reinforcing the wrist itself. The major problem is there are TWO ball joints on the emotion manipulators, not just where it pegs into the wrist socket, but a second, much smaller one that acts as the hand's forward/backward motion. Then of course I'm pretty much stuck with keeping the kit in a single pose with the same accessories, but I guess you can't have everything. It's a model kit and not a toy after all. This is why I prefer to collect toys incidentally.

Sticky tack could be an option. I may still have some from when I was using it to hold smaller pieces to dowels back when I airbrushed. The hands hang onto the weapons fine, but it's ultimately the wrists that are the weak link, so I'd definitely have to use the tack on the forearms.

I'm kinda surprised they don't have like a push in->lock for the wrists by now. I mean it would wear down with time but it'd work for the most part I'd think.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wait seriously?

The only HG I have is the unicorn and I thought it would be neat to get the NZ and sinaju at some point and just have those three as a set. What's missing from the NZ sinaju pack-in?

(what's the going price USD for a NZ anyway. My local shop has it for like 270)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's just kinda neat, I totally assumed they'd make you foot the bill for your big plastic monster puppeteer as well.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still can't picture anything but the Sinanju's arms frantically working a bunch of 19th-century steampunk levers and pulleys behind those arm covers, just trying to keep the drat thing flying level :allears:.

Yeah I basically pictured the ridiculous control system from Gurren Lagann with the bigger bots

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'd assume they'd just buy a much cheaper table.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Alternately you can take 4 years to put together a PG like me.

gently caress screws gently caress legs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Buy them one after another, gundams are a symptom not a cause.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gently caress yeah.

I'm never ever gonna buy that fucker but good on it for existing. It'll be a nightmare to build.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Might as well come out and ask; is there any point in the master grade kits? Do real grade models offer something extra?
Yes I'm new at this thing. Throw oranges at my face.

Master grade is the best ones, is the best combination of complex but not retarded (EG PG) engineering. MG is 1/100, while HG is 1/144. I think RG is too? RG as I understand it is more complex than the HG but at the same size.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Suzaku posted:

Looks like Gentei Kits has the Tallgeese III up for preorder. The yen is at a favorable exchange rate, which makes the price a whole lot cheaper than GG Infinite. Apparently Bandai is also doing a Tallgeese II reissue to hit at around the same time the TG3 launches if anyone still wants that one. Oh, and GK has a 10% off code running right now for any orders with in-stock items. So if someone still needs a Psycho Shard....

Fffuckkk I want that Tallgeese III so badly. Huuuuuuuhhhh

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm super curious; why the Unicorn(s)?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

gently caress those Zaku tubes. I'll never build another MG with tubes on it. The stupid leg ones keep popping out, too, which is peak frustration. The amount of force required to get them off the trees was absurd, though.

The Gauf 2 has the best zaku tube solution while still having individual thingies. You don't have to deal with them one by one, and it's softer material so easier to sand / razor down.

Zaku 2.0 tubes are balls though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I am frankly disgusted we are getting PG unicorn before MG Kshatriya :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Finished MG Turn A. I'm trying to decide if i want another MG to throw in my order with Build Burning and RG Exia, but I don't know what I want that's not 90 bucks on its own and also in stock on HLJ.

Whyy not try amazon?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really wanna get MG F91. Just how bad is it? I know late UC figures are pretty grody sometimes but it can't ve as bad as the V / Vdash.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I don't get the no poly caps thing. I understand they wear out but the non-polycap joints seem to be loose from the getgo anyway.

Despite everyone's advice I will probably get it anyway because that is the way of collecting gunplas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the HG unicorn is like "no you must be satisfied with this pose I think"

• Locked thread