Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Psy890 posted:

This is a game about pineapples. That go to school.
It reminds me of prison architect.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subalterngames/no-pineapple-left-behind

This looks great, too bad it's less than a week left and it's only made 1/3rd of its goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Octopus City Blues demo is now public: http://ghost-in-a-bottle.itch.io/octopus-city-blues

There's a good chunk of content in the demo, it's probably about 45 minutes - an hour if you check everything out.

I was interested in this before, but about 20 minutes with the demo and I am completely sold on it. I really love what this guy is doing here, with the early-90's Western designs, detailed and expressive pixel art [that still stays consistent], and the overall just general weirdness of everything. Love the soundtrack, too.

And it's only $10 for the whole thing.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Zwingley posted:

A kickstarter for this went live yesterday:

Text link.

There's a :siren:playable demo:siren: on the Kickstarter page, too.

The lead designer is Chesko, who's made a lot of good Skyrim mods (particularly Frostfall). He did some work on War for the Overworld, as well.

The game looks and sounds drat pretty, in my opinion, and I think it'll turn out to be something great. :shobon:

It's also up for Greenlight, if anyone cares about that.

I went to look at this link, and apparently they have canceled it already! Here's the update. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theoryform/hazewalker/posts

Choice quote:

quote:

After reading and re-reading all of the feedback that we have received on articles, forums, and other sources, one thing has become clear: we are not making the game that people are excited to play.
:confused:

So instead they're canceling the kickstarter and putting the game aside to look at other projects, I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HJE-Cobra posted:

So instead they're canceling the kickstarter and putting the game aside to look at other projects, I guess.

That's pretty mature of them, IMO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty mature of them, IMO.

Yeah honestly that makes me really want to back their next project. That's discipline on a level unheard of in Kickstarter land.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
What was the problem?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

What was the problem?

They didn't really go into detail, but the way I see it they were just making a quick and lovely metroidvania game so they could make a game and maybe some money, and everybody wanted it to be ~best game ever~ and the hype train was running off the tracks.

Nice of them to admit the game wasn't going anywhere as exciting as people wanted and decide to work on a new, better game; rather than just take all the money they could on hopes and dreams and then massively underdeliver like every other crowdfunding campaign. Most people would lie to themselves and say they could pull it off or they deserved all that cash; these guys said "oh wait, you want stuff we can't do" and decided to go back to the drawing board.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Dang, major props to them for making the hard decision. I can only imagine how much it would suck to take a game you've already put almost two years of your life into and just put it in the bin.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Uber just pulled the plug on Human Resources two hours ago as well, although the tone of their updates suggest they really missed the point.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
To be fair to Uber people gave the company like what 2 million in a genre they had no experience in after they hosed up (REALLY hosed up) the sequel to their really good original game. That'd make me delusional too.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Darksaber posted:

Uber just pulled the plug on Human Resources two hours ago as well, although the tone of their updates suggest they really missed the point.

Thank god, that gives me some hope that gamers are starting to develop some self-control.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Darksaber posted:

Even assuming that Human Resources was a completely separate team and that "You haven't finished making your first kickstarter yet" is a non-issue as related to it, to me the point is "You can't kickstart every single game you make, especially when the second is asking for more than a million again." And even if someone theoretically could do that, they would need a lot more goodwill than Monday Night Combat and just over a month and a half of the "full" release of your second not-lovely game could bring.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The Black Glove seems to have been hovering around 18%-19% for a few days now. Shame, I liked the idea but the 'play a retro arcade game to do anything' mechanic really is a turn-off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ullerrm posted:

There's coverage of it early in the thread. Basically, they kept a portion of it themselves (fees for appearing in their own video game!) and outsourced development to a junior dev team with little experience; they hosed up a few contracts, much money was wasted, and they were woefully behind schedule.

The dev went bankrupt, the fate of the remaining money (if any is left) is unknown, and Yogscast tried to buy backers' silence by negotiating with another kickstarter mmo project (TUG) to add some Yogscast content and give all the backers free keys.

Didn't they draw up a contract with an artist for like $25k, but the contract didn't actually require him to do anything so he didn't? Or something like that?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Yeah it was pretty spectacular. He got a job somewhere else so he couldn't do what they contracted him to do but he got the money as a lump sum or something.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

To be fair to Uber people gave the company like what 2 million in a genre they had no experience in after they hosed up (REALLY hosed up) the sequel to their really good original game. That'd make me delusional too.
Uhhhh, Uber was formed out of ex-Cavedog veterans, if anything MNC was a genre they had no experience with.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Great Rumbler posted:

I was interested in this before, but about 20 minutes with the demo and I am completely sold on it. I really love what this guy is doing here, with the early-90's Western designs, detailed and expressive pixel art [that still stays consistent], and the overall just general weirdness of everything. Love the soundtrack, too.

And it's only $10 for the whole thing.

Yeah, it's a very interesting game. It's like mixing a SNES RPG type overhead gameplay with the Sanitarium PC game and that insane Japanese novel 'Fourteen' about mutant chickens or whatever.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm pretty pumped that the Human Resources kickstarter was cancelled. Hopefully now they'll have the time to allocate some devs to releasing the MNC level editor we were promised!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geight posted:

I'm pretty pumped that the Human Resources kickstarter was cancelled. Hopefully now they'll have the time to allocate some devs to releasing the MNC level editor we were promised!

Yeah I'm glad it failed because to me it seemed like too soon and I know they said that PA had its own team and what not, but I feel like it could still use a decent amount of work and they shouldn't be rewarded for not really providing a finished first kickstarter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça & Pizza Boy has a playable demo out. It's a perfectly decent euroadventure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what's the status on Confederate Express? I know there was a bunch of drama with the devs but I was under the impression it was pretty close to release.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Didn't it completely implode? I thought the devs in question just abandoned it, started a new kickstarter under a different account, then the drama with the squatting happened and they disappeared.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

So what's the status on Confederate Express? I know there was a bunch of drama with the devs but I was under the impression it was pretty close to release.
I think there's a warrant out for him or something? Also the last thing he had to say about the game was in the comment, I think it was "What's the deets on the drama? 10/10 would squat again" so my money's on "Scam from the start".

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah, from the sounds of it none of the people who were contracted on it were ever told to actually work on it after the kickstarter, they just all assumed they'd be contacted about the project once they were needed. So, the only thing that exists is the trailer for the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No updates since July, but you can preorder their "next" game for $10!

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Subjunctive posted:

No updates since July, but you can preorder their "next" game for $10!

Almost as bad of a deal as StarDrive 2.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kibayasu posted:

Even assuming that Human Resources was a completely separate team and that "You haven't finished making your first kickstarter yet" is a non-issue as related to it, to me the point is "You can't kickstart every single game you make, especially when the second is asking for more than a million again." And even if someone theoretically could do that, they would need a lot more goodwill than Monday Night Combat and just over a month and a half of the "full" release of your second not-lovely game could bring.

I just don't have that much time for a second competitive-only RTS, especially when it's being touted as a "starter game to be fully developed later as a service" as well, just like PA. I understand they want to reuse their engine, but seeing them try and dip into the well again so quickly feels like really bad timing. I'm not that upset about PA, but I need more reasons to develop confidence in them for future kickstarters.

And Super MNC just makes me want to cry, having played MNC previously. I really tried to give it a chance, but it was just such a disappointment.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 21, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mechaet posted:

Almost as bad of a deal as StarDrive 2.

StarDrive was actually a game and fun though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And Super MNC just makes me want to cry, having played MNC previously. I really tried to give it a chance, but it was just such a disappointment.

Every person I've met that enjoyed MNC has felt this way, SMNC was truly an abomination.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm curious how you got the impression Confederate Express was close to release. Last I had heard, the Pashanin brothers had fled the apartment they were squatting a few days before they were legally evicted. Their last Kickstarter communication was in July and it was that would squat again comment which Zereth was referring to.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mirificus posted:

I'm curious how you got the impression Confederate Express was close to release. Last I had heard, the Pashanin brothers had fled the apartment they were squatting a few days before they were legally evicted. Their last Kickstarter communication was in July and it was that would squat again comment which Zereth was referring to.

I followed it only very loosely, but I remember getting an email or seeing an update some time after the Kickstarter with a video of some sort so I figured it was pretty close at the time. I only backed at $10 though so I'm not too broken up about it. It's just too bad, it was a cool concept.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Geight posted:

Every person I've met that enjoyed MNC has felt this way, SMNC was truly an abomination.

It's like Total Annihilation and Total Annihilation: Kingdoms all over again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a shame that Impact Winter is probably not going to make it. I really like the art direction.

Geight posted:

I only played SMNC and... it was a fun game?

It didn't deserve to go out the way it did. :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/21/paranautical-activity-deleted-from-steam/

:stonk:

quote:

First-person shooter Paranautical Activity has been pulled from Steam after its creator tweeted a death threat about Valve founder Gabe Newell. Mike Maulbeck’s tweet – since deleted – followed an all-caps rant in response to the game being incorrectly labelled as being in Early Access. Because I guess this is the world we live in now.

The first tweet from Maulbeck read, “ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME STEAM? WE JUST RELEASED OUT OF EARLY ACCESS AND THIS IS OUR FRONT PAGE BANNER?”, alongside the image embedded below, which states “Now Available in Early Access” underneath. He followed that up with more complaints.

Well, isn't that special?

MrBims posted:

Thank god, that gives me some hope that gamers are starting to develop some self-control.

Oops.

Wandering Knitter posted:

The Black Glove seems to have been hovering around 18%-19% for a few days now. Shame, I liked the idea but the 'play a retro arcade game to do anything' mechanic really is a turn-off.

The Black Glove is the definition of a game I want to play and would buy in stores but will not back. Its just too weird, too non-game, too arsty. I'm not sure they'll pull it off, and even if they do it'll just be this little thing like The Stanley Parable. That's cool and all, but huge risk for little reward.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 21, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/21/paranautical-activity-deleted-from-steam/

:stonk:

Well, isn't that special?

Oops.

The Black Glove is the definition of a game I want to play and would buy in stores but will not back. Its just too weird, too non-game, too arsty. I'm not sure they'll pull it off, and even if they do it'll just be this little thing like The Stanley Parable. That's cool and all, but huge risk for little reward.

Haha, did that developer guy not realize his relationship with Steam was a professional one? Dude needs to take some medicine or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't like the "play Pacman to do stuff!" part of it. I think it would work better if they just went completely non-game or, even better, did something puzzle-y with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Levantine posted:

Haha, did that developer guy not realize his relationship with Steam was a professional one? Dude needs to take some medicine or something.

His twitter is pretty gold right now, combination of "I quit" and "You can still buy my game on other sites please" and "what the gently caress valve jeeze all I did was say I was gonna kill Gabe, why did you have to go and pull my game?" like that's somehow worse. Oh, and tons of bitching about how Valve owns the entire game industry and you can't make games otherwise.

:allears:

quote:

Mike blows up at valve on twitter.

Valve wins because valve.

I'm done making videogames now. It sucked while it lasted.

What a child.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

His twitter is pretty gold right now, combination of "I quit" and "You can still buy my game on other sites please" and "what the gently caress valve jeeze all I did was say I was gonna kill Gabe, why did you have to go and pull my game?" like that's somehow worse. Oh, and tons of bitching about how Valve owns the entire game industry and you can't make games otherwise.

:allears:

What a child.

I can't conceive what mindset he must have to think that throwing a literal temper tantrum with his "only way to make money" wouldn't have consequences. "What a child" is right.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah, holy crap, his deleted tweet actually said “I am going to kill gabe newell. He is going to die.”

Jeez, I could understand being frustrated with Valve for whatever reason, but uh... you don't say that. Going all Internet Toughguy as a random dude on an internet forum is dumb enough, but posting under your real name about business colleagues on official channels and saying that is a total fuckup.

Like, I know internet toughguys threaten to kill their opponents all the time anonymously on the internet, but they're not using their real name and talking to their boss or whatever. That carries a different level of gravitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Megazver posted:

I only played SMNC and... it was a fun game?

It didn't deserve to go out the way it did. :saddowns:

MNC didn't deserve to go out the way it did. Abandoned before several developer promises were fulfilled so that they could release a bastardized version with the fun parts gutted out to make room for more predatory monetization models. The schadenfreude from watching SMNC crash and burn is the only thing MNC players have as a comfort; I'm just glad that the crowdfunding scene has collectively decided to not let Uber take advantage of them again.

I am very bitter about this piece of digital entertainment, you see. :v: