Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hakkesshu posted:

I like the art a lot, but in this case I think it's a dangerous move to basically just copy someone else's concept. Phoenix Wright and Hatoful Boyfriend are great mainly because they're so unique and full of personality, taking a "me too" approach to this doesn't strike me as a great strategy.

Despite my comment, I've actually not given them any money for that very reason. It makes me uncomfortable quite how close to Pheonix Wright it is, especially as they don't call out the inspiration on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The art itself is also mostly extant assets from J. J. Grandville, and per the kickstarter, "nearly every part of the game is drawn from or inspired by the public domain. The backgrounds and items have been borrowed from a range of 19th century illustrated books." Which is fine IMO artistically speaking, and I've actually backed it myself. It's definitely not a super creative concept though by any stretch, I think what sold it for me though was the promise of a very 19th century style murder mystery backdrop to the Phoenix Wright style format. It's super niche though, and the fact that having an editor for a visual novel game is a stretch goal kind of worries me. But hey, I'm fast and loose with backing, and I love J. J. Grandville so...

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So Thimbleweed Park hit the talkies stretchgoal! Which is very un-1987, but I'm glad for them. Go Ron!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I like the art a lot, but in this case I think it's a dangerous move to basically just copy someone else's concept. Phoenix Wright and Hatoful Boyfriend are great mainly because they're so unique and full of personality, taking a "me too" approach to this doesn't strike me as a great strategy.
This game was discussed a few pages back but the art style is actually a thing that exists elsewhere. As they explain all of those images are illustrations from very old (1800s era?) books, they aren't original creations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

So Thimbleweed Park hit the talkies stretchgoal! Which is very un-1987, but I'm glad for them. Go Ron!

Cool. With the last few days of funding that'll mean they'll probably hit the iOS/Android ports as well, easy enough. Not too shabby for the holiday season.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kenshin posted:

This game was discussed a few pages back but the art style is actually a thing that exists elsewhere. As they explain all of those images are illustrations from very old (1800s era?) books, they aren't original creations.

Well, ok, that just makes me think the whole thing is creatively bankrupt.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Not even several books. It's all from one book in particular: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7159409M/Public_and_private_life_of_animals
It's on their kickstarter so at least they are upfront about it but yeah, it would have been nice if they scoured multiple sources from 1800s literature for material instead of taking it all from one thing. At least then there'd be a modicum more work involved?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So any chance of Dead State approaching good or even mediocre and playable status anytime soon? I really like the concept and limited horror setting and $30 isn't a huge deal...I mean how bad is it? Could Wasteland 2 type patches fix it (by this I mean patches totalling the same size as the original dl)?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I guess the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers guy finally heard about gamergate! http://theralphretort.com/sjw-media-blackouts-coverage-of-japan-chroniclers-book/#more-3500

tl;dr: he wrote an email to some pro-gamergate site about how those dang dirty SJWs got him blacklisted from the gaming press for daring to expose their maliciousness, and even they don't seem to be buying it.
And here I thought the drama-well had run dry until the conclusion of the civil trial.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hollow Knight made it!

Congrats, guys. Well deserved!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, ok, that just makes me think the whole thing is creatively bankrupt.

There's no such thing as an entirely original creative work. People create iteratively, everything is a remix.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what if you have a wholly unique brain mutation

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TheSpookyDanger posted:

There's no such thing as an entirely original creative work. People create iteratively, everything is a remix.

Okay, but there's a fine line between iteration and copy-pasting someone else's work and ideas. Also you have an Adventure Time avatar, which is like the most original and creative cartoon in the world!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 15, 2014

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay, but there's a fine line between iteration and copy-pasting someone else's work and ideas. Also you have an Adventure Time avatar, which is like the most original and creative cartoon in the world!

The cartoon is creative, but a looping gif of a creative work you had nothing to do with is kind of a case in point

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

People create iteratively, everything is a remix.

Well, I could just replace "directed by Stanley Kubrick" with my name and go around selling Eyes Wide Shut to people, and some might even call it a daring postmodern comment on the futility of IP and all that crap, but I'd still be passing off other people's work as my own and making money off of it. Not that these guys are necessarily doing that, just commenting on what you said.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The cartoon is creative, but a looping gif of a creative work you had nothing to do with is kind of a case in point

No it isn't, he isn't trying to position the GIF as a creative work and sell it for money.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

gfanikf posted:

So any chance of Dead State approaching good or even mediocre and playable status anytime soon? I really like the concept and limited horror setting and $30 isn't a huge deal...I mean how bad is it? Could Wasteland 2 type patches fix it (by this I mean patches totalling the same size as the original dl)?
It's hard to say. There will definitely be bugfixing and probably at least a few quality of life enhancements (showing the AP cost of movement when hovering over a square in combat, for example), but how much the flawed core design will be adjusted is up in the air. They plan on adding more content, at the least. If they made the combat more complex I think it could go a long way. At this point I'd wait for a sale.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

and if there are KS users that go straight for the download without even watching the video.

Yes. I will never watch your pitch video, but if I like what I read and see scrolling past stills I'll give your demo a shot. I understand that there are people who care a lot about pitch videos, but they're all freakish mutants.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yes. I will never watch your pitch video, but if I like what I read and see scrolling past stills I'll give your demo a shot. I understand that there are people who care a lot about pitch videos, but they're all freakish mutants.

Same here. I go straight for the download if it's available. Pitch videos are a waste, lots of times it's saying what's in the description which I'm going to read anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's hard to say. There will definitely be bugfixing and probably at least a few quality of life enhancements (showing the AP cost of movement when hovering over a square in combat, for example), but how much the flawed core design will be adjusted is up in the air. They plan on adding more content, at the least. If they made the combat more complex I think it could go a long way. At this point I'd wait for a sale.

One thing that does drive me nuts about Dead State is the 'Fire Emblem' style red/blue on the squares you can/can't move to. Why not just darken them or have a faint grid. It's so... ugly.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Hakkesshu posted:

Adventure Time is literally based on a game of Gamma World that Pendleton Ward played in. He took that game and fused in elements of Miyazaki's work & bits of subversive humor from things like Ren & Stimpy. In addition, the show has had several writers each of whom have left their own distinct imprint. Everything really is a remix. I think it's perfectly okay to iterate on work in this way, it's how basically everything in the modern world is created. I didn't dig super deep into that kickstarter because it looks like a game I would not find fun at all, but it seems like even cite where they got the artwork so I don't understand the problem?

Mr Underhill posted:

Well, I could just replace "directed by Stanley Kubrick" with my name and go around selling Eyes Wide Shut to people, and some might even call it a daring postmodern comment on the futility of IP and all that crap, but I'd still be passing off other people's work as my own and making money off of it. Not that these guys are necessarily doing that, just commenting on what you said.

You could be the grand dragon of the KKK, since we're just saying random poo poo with no real bearing on the conversation.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 16, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm a ways into Dead State and the big bugs are starting to show up. Some quests and interactions are out of sync, with NPCs either not acknowledging stuff I had already accomplished or bringing it up after the fact. My to-do list is currently full of uncompletable quests even though I've actually finished them.

Also a myriad of small annoyances: text is partly cut off in the data screen, burst fire weapons only count the first shot for damage and to-hit chances (meaning they currently do less damage than they're supposed to and are just a waste of ammo), inventory sorters randomly stop working and require you to reset your game, repeated random encounters will have enemies attacking each other, and a map that's causing an infinite combat bug.

Admittedly, I still like the game for what it is but it might be because it tickles my particular fancy for CRPGs. However, it definitely needed more time to cook and I wished I held off on starting it. A big patch is supposed to be released tomorrow, but it feels like a Wasteland 2 situation where you might want to wait until it's in a decent state before buying/playing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Did the opinion on Wasteland 2 go sour really fast or something, because I've seen it mentioned as an example of an unsatisfying/disappointing KS game a few times now.

Edit: Since it also got brought up in the past few pages, Hatoful Boyfriend is made almost entirely out of stock/public assets (down to the music), but it probably had a budget even smaller than Kickstarter games.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 16, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
No man, the game was really good, buggy but good!

Some people where disappointed that it wasn't fallout however.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kamrat posted:

No man, the game was really good, buggy but good!

Some people where disappointed that it wasn't fallout however.

I kind of thought it got boring really quick

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Reason posted:

I kind of thought it got boring really quick
I loved it at first then ran into the same problem and bailed on it about 15 hours in. It seemed like the next Fallout for a while, but the longer you play the more the issues come to the surface. One of the biggest things is how repetitive the combat gets. Also a lot of the dialogue feels really generic, your NPCs don't get to have much personality and have the same cookie cutter options for most scenes "What can you tell me about ___?"

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I played Wasteland 2 for over 60 hours and it was one of my favorite games this year, so I was definitely not disappointed at all by how it turned out. But different people, different opinions, and all that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I never really liked it, but were I younger and in possession of more free time I probably would've been easier on it for things like level design and trap skills (of which Dead State has its fair share). I just think they did a poor job trying to make a modern RPG while at the same staying as true to WL's character design system as possible. It's a terrible system.

I'm just kind of frustrated with how many 90's throwback RPGs are being made and how none of them can seem to make turn-based combat as fun as I remember it being. Maybe out-in-the-open slugfests were never that great.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

mycot posted:

Did the opinion on Wasteland 2 go sour really fast or something, because I've seen it mentioned as an example of an unsatisfying/disappointing KS game a few times now.
I think the responses you got are a pretty good subsection. "OMG BUT IT IS GREAT" "OMG BUT IT IS SO OUTDATED THERE IS NO POINT" "not OMG at all, just eh." 81% Metacritic, 7.3 average user score; sounds logical to me, critics are more likely to "see what they did there" and users are more likely to be like "I cannot help but notice this is not, in fact, Fallout 3 But In 1999."

I could certainly get more in-depth with whether you might like the game depending on what you liked about games like Fallout though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mycot posted:

Edit: Since it also got brought up in the past few pages, Hatoful Boyfriend is made almost entirely out of stock/public assets (down to the music), but it probably had a budget even smaller than Kickstarter games.

Personally I'd say I really liked it, but I don't think it was actually "finished" at release, and in need of several fixes that have now mostly arrived.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

This is probably something that no-one should ever fund. Or perhaps everyone in the world should fund actually, I'm not certain.

But it's basically Hatoful Boyfriend crossed with Pheonix Wright, which, as a concept, is something I can get behind in a way that is dangerous for me as a person.

At least it makes some sense. In comparison, there's this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973736766/the-cybermatrix-100-concept-a02?ref=category_newest

I have no words to describe how inexplicably confused I am with this (and his previous attempts).

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

kinkouin posted:

At least it makes some sense. In comparison, there's this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973736766/the-cybermatrix-100-concept-a02?ref=category_newest

I have no words to describe how inexplicably confused I am with this (and his previous attempts).

"anyway, for those who are dying for my console's diagrams and want to help, please donate 1000 dollars usd and i'll send them to you through drop box.

best, schaun"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Whatever it is, it's art.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

kinkouin posted:

Harmony Korine presents Kickstarter

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

kinkouin posted:

I really feel bad for Old Man McGucket after we learned about his past.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I never really liked it, but were I younger and in possession of more free time I probably would've been easier on it for things like level design and trap skills (of which Dead State has its fair share). I just think they did a poor job trying to make a modern RPG while at the same staying as true to WL's character design system as possible. It's a terrible system.

I'm just kind of frustrated with how many 90's throwback RPGs are being made and how none of them can seem to make turn-based combat as fun as I remember it being. Maybe out-in-the-open slugfests were never that great.

It's probably not true for all old RPGs but Wasteland 1 at least could have faster fights because nothing needed to be animated, you just picked your actions and turned up the text speed. Similarly everything being tile-based meant you could zip across a map at a decent clip instead of waiting for the characters to all run across slowly. I'll happily trade graphical fidelity to not have to wait 10 minutes to cross a cleared map any day.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, you do have games like NEO Scavenger that still do that, though it's got a deep enough combat system that it generally starts slow and quickens very fast as the noose tightens around whoever gets the poo poo end of the stick in a brawl.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So what's the opinion on Last Year? The concept sounds great and like something I'd love to play, but the reward tier pricing and the lack of a proper team makes me doubt we'll see it come together.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Reminds me of a board game actually, one of the modes in Mansions of Madness, with a respawning axe-wielding maniac who hit hard but went down easily vs. a bunch of characters trying to get through a mansion and complete objectives without getting split. You could draw a card that said "maniac breaks through wall or floorboard" to spawn directly next to a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Reminds me of a board game actually, one of the modes in Mansions of Madness, with a respawning axe-wielding maniac who hit hard but went down easily vs. a bunch of characters trying to get through a mansion and complete objectives without getting split. You could draw a card that said "maniac breaks through wall or floorboard" to spawn directly next to a player.

That sounds actually quite fun, I'll check it out.