Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mr Underhill posted:

someone called toxx a hitler and I MEANT I WAS THE JEWS

mods

please

i beg you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Wow, a kickstarter by the single person in existence that enjoyed SSB's tripping mechanic.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Who is ready for a figging?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Underhill would have to pull Schafer's cock out first

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

The thing is, uDraw was actually pretty successful for the Wii. But they thought they could replicate that success on PS3/Xbox360, so they poured a ton of money into producing physical hardware that it turned out people didn't want. They took a $100 million hit to their bottom line. Very few publishers, then or now, could absorb a hit like that.

This. They were an AA publisher that had an AAA sized failure. Of course it killed them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And remember that its not just the money spent manufacturing them. If you've got 250,000 boxes (I don't know how many they actually made) of a not-exactly-small peripheral not being sold that's a lot of storage space to pay for month in and month out. Disposing of electronics isn't cheap either, unless you want to get fined.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Man, I'd hate to see what would happen if some posters in this thread found out how much poo poo gets cut out of games during their development.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

all video games are scams

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More footage of Poi which still looks like a visual mess and continues to crib from Mario 64 rather than iterate

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/21/9186267/poi-gameplay-video-mario-64-banjo-kazooie

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I kind of like the general aesthetics myself but doing a complete clone of Mario's moveset is certainly not a feature for me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Do not even ask posted:

Never defend anyone that makes them. They are literally all criminals.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the running animation is horrendous in that game

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Do not even ask posted:

I vote this for the new thread title.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, look what crawled out of the goddamn wilderness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvuRAuR04Ug

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was just wondering about that game.

The new update is backers-only - is there anything in there about the acquisition of Technos' IP by Arc System Works and what that means for RCRU?

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was just wondering about that game.

The new update is backers-only - is there anything in there about the acquisition of Technos' IP by Arc System Works and what that means for RCRU?

There's nothing in the current update about that. Everyone freaked out about it on the backer forums for a short while, but the devs reached out to ASW and then just kept chugging along. I think that they can't comment on it yet, but maybe they'll mention it on their Greenlight page when that goes up shortly.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So there's a Fig investment level cap, at least on this campaign:

Fig posted:

"Fig team here - Outer Wilds has $500,000 in investment interest from investors who want to invest. Most of those investors weren't able to invest however, because the investment portion of the campaign was only for $50,000. The investment total is included in the total at the top of the page and the campaign is still trying to reach it's goal."

I still don't get why you'd cap the investments at 50k but there are so many parts moving on this platform, the next campaigns will probably make a lot more sense than this one. Speaking of which, can't wait to see what the advisory board members' companies pitch.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

So there's a Fig investment level cap, at least on this campaign:

Not sure if I understand it completely, but maybe it's designed to prevent over-funding based feature creep?

Better for people, they know what the project will be and the goals, and those won't change. The developers know the game they're trying to make, and have a solid plan with no unforeseen changes or additions to add.

I don't know though, could be something else. :shrug:

edit: Where's that Battletech Kickstarter! :arghfist::mad:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 22, 2015

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Isn't it because investors get a percentage? Maybe the developers decided that they're only interested in giving away a percentage to $50k worth of investors?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
There is a new update from The Mandate showing off a pre-alpha ship boarding demo.
It looks pretty cool for a pre-alpha, though the commentary sounds so staged it almost hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVFABizec-I

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

I hate that after the UI overhaul of Kickstarter, it's a lot more of a hassle to figure out when a campaign ended and what their original goal was. Looks like the Mandate ran for 60 days and had a $500,000 goal?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Christian Knudsen posted:

Isn't it because investors get a percentage? Maybe the developers decided that they're only interested in giving away a percentage to $50k worth of investors?

Yes, the profit share scales for each $1K invested.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, look what crawled out of the goddamn wilderness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvuRAuR04Ug
Looks pretty good to me.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Christian Knudsen posted:

I hate that after the UI overhaul of Kickstarter, it's a lot more of a hassle to figure out when a campaign ended and what their original goal was. Looks like the Mandate ran for 60 days and had a $500,000 goal?

Yeah, it's an extremely bad design.

Funding period is shown below pledge selection, Oct 3 2013 - Dec 2 2013 (60 days), and goal + final amount is shown just below the video, $701,010 pledged of $500,000 goal.
Why Kickstarter doesn't have this all collected in a simple fact box is beyond me.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, the profit share scales for each $1K invested.

Where did you read that? Did they make the investment terms public?

Edit: And yeah that RCR video looks great.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 22, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Modus Pwnens posted:

Where did you read that? Did they make the investment terms public?

Sure, if you sign up as an investor you see the terms before you agree to them, and they're not under NDA or anything. I think anyone with an account on their site should be able to load https://www.fig.co/campaigns/outer-wilds/investor/new

Fig investment terms posted:

For every $1,000 an investor invests in Fig's production company, if the company and the game are successful, the investor may generally expect to receive:

• Until the investor gets their $1,000 back (pre-tax), 0.3% of the company's net revenue from the PC platforms (as defined in the license agreement);
  • Until the investor gets another $250 (pre-tax), 0.2% of net revenue;
  • Thereafter, 0.1% of net revenue.

I'm still doing the proof-of-accreditation dance but I expect there is some more detail about the structure of the production company's distribution rights once that's complete.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
So that $50k of initial investors accounts for 15% percent of the revenue (until the investments are paid back). So what's this talk about having an additional $500,000 of interested investors lined up if the devs decide to increase the cap? I don't think they can hand out 150% of initial revenue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Modus Pwnens posted:

So that $50k of initial investors accounts for 15% percent of the revenue (until the investments are paid back). So what's this talk about having an additional $500,000 of interested investors lined up if the devs decide to increase the cap? I don't think they can hand out 150% of initial revenue.

No, it's more like 5% of revenue once the initial $62,500 is paid back to investors. So they could definitely go to 50% net rev share (for PC platforms) if they wanted to. But I think that's just Fig saying "the round is oversubscribed, look at how much interest there is!" Quire has the same thing happen. Those "interested investors" may get earlier notice of future titles too, but I don't think so currently.

E: oh, I see what you're asking. Yeah, I expect in the case of > 100% rev share for initial return, people just get it at a lower rate until it's all paid out. Thus "generally" in the language. The prospectus or equivalent will flesh that out, I expect; if it's not covered by NDA, which would surprise me, I'll let you know when I get one.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 22, 2015

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Satellite Reign is finally hitting full release on 28th August:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsNWPTjA1s

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Between that and the new Shadowrun, it's been a good month for cyberpunk.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Cicero posted:

Looks pretty good to me.

Not saying it's looking bad! It'd just been five months since their last Kickstarter update and their own site hasn't had an update in over a year.

And now they're on Greenlight with a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWDEs434hA&t=28s

It looked like they nabbed a bit from Paul Robertson style-wise, but there are worse things to emulate. Hopefully, unlike most of the projects Robertson has been involved in, this will actually be a good game! The proof will be in the gameplay and completed project, as always, but it's looking very, very nice so far.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like the animations, they've got zest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Great Joe posted:

I like the animations, they've got zest.

Yeah, I like those animations. They resemble the original RCR but are reasonably more fluid and updated.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
The much beleaguered Kickstarter game River City Ransom 2 finally has a greenlight page. Which was surprising that it took them this long to make a campaign to get onto Steam, when it's been almost two loving years since the Kickstarter ended. But on the upshot I'd have to assume this means they've got their licensing issues sorted out with Atlus. Too bad there hasn't been any real game progress reports since the beginning of the year. But then again I'm the idiot that floated them $40 out of blind nostalgia.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We were literally just talking about it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I like those animations. They resemble the original RCR but are reasonably more fluid and updated.

Yeah, it's kind of occupying this weird space between 8 bit and 16 bit, and between Kunio-kun and Paul Robertson styles, but somehow it seems to work.

Edit: It must be those beefy, chunky legs.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 23, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not sure if it was mentioned here but Undertale got it's release date finally (September 15th)

My friend helped do some things for the game so I'm pretty excited :v:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Still bummed I missed out on that sweet $32 tier

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned here but Undertale got it's release date finally (September 15th)

My friend helped do some things for the game so I'm pretty excited :v:

am I supposed to know what Undertale is?

cause that trailer is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

kloa posted:

am I supposed to know what Undertale is?

cause that trailer is poo poo

Old demo came out 2 years ago that's worth playing (it's here)

A lot of people at the time really loved it due to some pretty crazy things it does (it has like 6 endings or so) and it launched a really small kickstarter that got funded pretty fast. Apparently the trailer is just to post the release date and the real launch trailer and stuff is still getting made.