Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I don't think there's one person here that'll claim they are in any way into FTP but the Deadliest Warrior as an RPG concept I dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't actually enjoy ARPGs, but I hear Grim Dawn is p. good and that's a F2P ARPG.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'd guess more people are horrified about the idea of kickstarting a F2P game not judging people that like that type of game.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

I don't think there's one person here that'll claim they are in any way into FTP but the Deadliest Warrior as an RPG concept I dig.

Hearthstone's alright

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Darkhold posted:

I'd guess more people are horrified about the idea of kickstarting a F2P game not judging people that like that type of game.

I suppose it makes sense if it's pretty much just for the investor money, with player pledges being an afterthought.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Speaking of kickstarted F2P games, I've been playing duelyst for a few days and like it a lot. It's pretty much hearthstone but with SRPG grid movement.

It just went into open beta and it's monetization seems exactly the same as hearthstone for better or worse.

https://duelyst.com/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

I don't actually enjoy ARPGs, but I hear Grim Dawn is p. good and that's a F2P ARPG.

You're thinking of Path of Exile(http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960). Grim Dawn (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/) is standard buy2play. I loving hate these terms now.

Grim Dawn is _good_ however. Definitely on a par with the Van Helsing, although post-AH Diablo III is tweaking my nipples.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

DrManiac posted:

Speaking of kickstarted F2P games, I've been playing duelyst for a few days and like it a lot. It's pretty much hearthstone but with SRPG grid movement.

It just went into open beta and it's monetization seems exactly the same as hearthstone for better or worse.

https://duelyst.com/

I've been playing Duelyst for a while too and honestly have not been too impressed with the game. It's a gorgeous game visually but I it wants to be Hearthstone so badly. Hearthstone definitely isn't my kind of game, but the original concept for Duelyst sounded great. I really wish they'd have stuck to the original buy to play model, that sounded like a much more solid game.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hearthstone's alright

Yeah, sorry, I meant this genre specifically. Hearthstone's brilliant.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Megazver posted:

I suppose it makes sense if it's pretty much just for the investor money, with player pledges being an afterthought.

Yeah it's perfect, they can get all the investors that would already have signed on for that sweet legalized gambling money and also they can bleed the whales dry before the game is even released.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Goddammit Fig, a F2P game isn't going to increase your credibility as a Kickstarter alternative.

I wonder what percentages they are giving for each investor. If they plan on funding this mainly from investment money then how finely are they slicing up the pie?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Safes/Blind Boxes plus Purchasable Keys/Drills, loving hell have games fallen so far. Basically gambling for imaginary items.

I hate that a fairly sizable portion of the games industry seems to take design cues from the gaming/gambling industry now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Trapezium Dave posted:

Goddammit Fig, a F2P game isn't going to increase your credibility as a Kickstarter alternative.

Honestly a big F2P game could be a perfect way of hammering home the differences between Kickstarter and Fig.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I kind of wish they just went full out for investors. Having that veneer of vanilla crowdfunding on top muddies things somewhat, at least in my head.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

but then they'd be a publisher and publishers are....the worst...!!!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here's the realtalk, no-bullshit, unjokey stone-cold reality of fig: It's not for you. The projects are so few and far between, so heavily curated, and so packaged that there's no real "kickstarter magic" to any of it.

The game has 75 total backers with 82k invested. And all that's from outside investments- I did some envelope math and totalled up the reward tiers claimed, and of the 82, 681 invested 2671 of that has come from traditional crowdfunding. The other 80k is, I assume, entirely from outside investors looking for a cut of the actual profits.

Like, to me, the biggest "appeal" of kickstarter is to visit the site and stumble across some appealing project from a superstar dev, no-name indie, or even a one-man team and to watch it succeed, watch it grow, to feel a part of something "bigger". To help that along, whether that be via visibility or outright monetary investment. I've lost a lot of faith in crowdfunding, especially recently when it feels like it's lost that sort of independent, community-focused edge into yet another monetization platform. But stuff like Undertale has been able to recapture the magic and promise that crowdfunding at its most idealized had (on top of being by-far the best kickstarter success story to date in terms of objective quality).

Fig has none of that. They're not interested in fostering a community, they're not interested in the appeal of ks' "stumbling" and the idea of naturalized growth in a product or building interest organically. Kickstarters form their own narratives organically- think of smashing day-one successes or the slow build to a last-day miracle, or the crushing story of the project that just barely doesn't make its goal. All those things form stories, things that generate interest in them. Fig can't do that because every Fig project has clearly been calculated out weeks and even months beforehand before it's ever presented. It showcases one project and that's it - they are very simply selling you a product.

There's no sense of creativity or that sort of grungy, make-it-up-as-you-go-along organic atmosphere that certain kickstarters have had, because every fig project is perfectly clean and endlessly packaged and repackaged, every word presented and edited to be as neat and appealing as possible. There's never gonna be an "awful Fig thread" because every fig project is a foregone conclusion- they don't care about the public at large's money, they're there for private, profit-sharing investment. If some dudes in the public kick in a couple of grand, well, the money's still green, but that's not the focus.

I doubt that any fig project will ever fail, because the secret is they're guaranteed successes before they even launch- fig more than likely already secured exactly enough funding before the project ever launches for it to work regardless of whatever the public does. Fig is an investment firm with a crowdfunding model attached, just to pick up some extra cash or (more likely) to increase press visibility. And that's, you know, fine - like genuinely, it's a fine thing for them to do - but makes me supremely disinterested in ever backing any project they announce. They'll succeed with or without my money.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Fig just seems like a publisher that will take a cut of your profit in exchange for guaranteed funding. It doesn't seem any different from a normal publisher.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wouldn't say they're a "normal" publisher, because normal publishers have their own cash on hand to fund projects, which they then own the IP of.

They're much closer to an investment firm or some sort of crowdfunded hybrid publisher, which to me reads as the worst of both worlds.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Fig is an investment platform with a unique twist that gives established companies the freedom to combine and craft their own customized pitch from collectible marketing buzzwords to enable dynamic funding.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Toxxupation posted:

Here's the realtalk, no-bullshit, unjokey stone-cold reality of fig: It's not for you. The projects are so few and far between, so heavily curated, and so packaged that there's no real "kickstarter magic" to any of it.

I can almost guarantee they expected to get way more regular backers on this and the first game they had. Maybe not high-profile kickstarter levels, but they probably wanted this game to meet its initial pot of 75,000 in a week or two, when it's making pocket change.

Maybe they'll shift to being a micro-investment thing now that that's where they're getting all the cash, but it's been promoted as a kickstarter alternative with the investments as a footnote this whole time.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Honestly a big F2P game could be a perfect way of hammering home the differences between Kickstarter and Fig.

The difference is that Fig is way shadier, which is hard to do given that Kickstarter is a site founded on the principle of caveat emptor. There's still no guarantee that the game will be made or be any good, but it's now going to have a team of suits hellbent on making it a pachinko machine with microtransactions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kyrosiris posted:

In fairness, some whales put in way more to other free to play games than that, so a $1750 "everything's free forever" tier isn't that bad.

poo poo, there was someone in an IRC channel I hung out in for some mobile phone game that spent that much in a month. It's terrifying.

There's this guy who has spent over $23k on Archeage: https://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/3mjuef/just_for_fun_how_much_have_you_been_spending/cvfn3it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That DOTA 2 courier that sold for $38,000

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Here's an hour long interview Sup Holmes did with Pencil Test, makers of Armikrog. I've just hit play so I can't comment on it, but I'm really curious what issues it addresses. Should be interesting.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mr Underhill posted:

Here's an hour long interview Sup Holmes did with Pencil Test, makers of Armikrog. I've just hit play so I can't comment on it, but I'm really curious what issues it addresses. Should be interesting.

Did you get to play the game?
Last time I checked they had patched a few of the most prominent issues (and did quite a sloppy job for a few of those fixes), and the game is still borderline meh; I actually think it's the worst adventure game I've played in years.

I'll be listening to their interview (good god that's an hour and a half!) while working. Hopefully they will address any future plans to improve the game...somehow.

Edit (because I digressed and forgot the original reason I was going to post here):
Asylum (of Augustine Cordes of Scratches) has posted a 2 min early preview of the game's intro. Which has about 3 maybe exciting seconds in it, but you can judge for yourselves anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PC56qGEWw
I know that this was supposedly going to be released the same year of its kickstarter 2 years ago, then they dropped their engine and switched to Unity, then they considered early access and maybe episodic (?) and then I lost interest in following it. Anyone know in what state it is in now?

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 22, 2015

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yep, played it for a while. Not necessarily a purchase I regret , but I'm not big into story-less adventures. I really loved the graphics and the "cartoony realism" feeling to them. Didn't run into major game breaking bugs, so I guess it was smart to hold out on it for a while, but I found the puzzles and (intentionally?) confusing clues off-putting, so I'm saving up the bulk of the game for when I'm on a longer holiday and I have the time to wrap my brain around it - a couple of hours tired after work just won't cut it for Armikrog. My biggest gripe with it is under-using the legendary voice talent (also the sound quality on the VA, holy moly!). Probably gonna get the Neverhood off of GOG and give it a spin first. Or is it better after?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Neverhood is currently on no digital distribution platforms.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Neverhood is currently on no digital distribution platforms.

But if you do get hold of it is the perfect phone game on Scummvm

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Microcline posted:

The difference is that Fig is way shadier, which is hard to do given that Kickstarter is a site founded on the principle of caveat emptor. There's still no guarantee that the game will be made or be any good, but it's now going to have a team of suits hellbent on making it a pachinko machine with microtransactions.

Welcome to the world of investing in startups and new properties. The only difference here is that it's out in the open instead of being propositioned behind closed doors and it's being mashed-up with a modern crowdfunding model.

Also the two games that have been shown so far are the opposite of shady when it comes to tech investing. That world is a nightmare.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't even look at the details of the pitch but that 5th Cell game is thoroughly uninteresting.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Yodzilla posted:

Welcome to the world of investing in startups and new properties. The only difference here is that it's out in the open instead of being propositioned behind closed doors and it's being mashed-up with a modern crowdfunding model.

Also the two games that have been shown so far are the opposite of shady when it comes to tech investing. That world is a nightmare.

Yeah, I fail to see what's shady about the project. I mean, sure you can question whether backing a F2P game is something you wanna do, but everything is pretty much laid out on the table; there's backers, there's investors, a lot of the game is obviously already done, I don't see anything screaming shady about it. Now on Kickstarter on the other hand...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Yodzilla posted:

Nah, if this was like a normal tech startup, it would go like this:

The devs would say they aren't using any monetization model, in order to "focus on the product", and that they'll worry about revenue once they've built their userbase. They would then be showered in millions of dollars of venture funding, while paying their employees entirely in stock options. After spending a year bleeding money, they would run another fig campaign, citing the success of their previous campaign, and in insisting that their game's net worth is now over one billion dollars. They make twice as much in the second campaign, just enough to put them in the black, and are bought out by EA, remaining in development hell forever. The CEO immediately posts a new pitch on fig.

During this time a game may or may not be made.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mercury_Storm posted:

Fig is an investment platform with a unique twist that gives established companies the freedom to combine and craft their own customized pitch from collectible marketing buzzwords to enable dynamic funding.

Toss in a few paradigms and utilizing assets in there and that could be a verbatim quote from Dilbert's pointy-haired boss

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

AbstractNapper posted:

Asylum (of Augustine Cordes of Scratches) has posted a 2 min early preview of the game's intro. Which has about 3 maybe exciting seconds in it, but you can judge for yourselves anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PC56qGEWw
I know that this was supposedly going to be released the same year of its kickstarter 2 years ago, then they dropped their engine and switched to Unity, then they considered early access and maybe episodic (?) and then I lost interest in following it. Anyone know in what state it is in now?

I'm very interested in the game and, while it's late, I like where it's going. YMMV, I loved that short drive. There's little stuff out there in the scenery that you catch glimpses of that makes for nice creepy touches, and I'm glad they aren't scaling back the project. I was checking out the campaign page today, here's the (pretty long) most recent update, and he posted this on another forum:

Agusting Cordes posted:

I’m not sure if I had an “official” post about Asylum here. It’s been such a long time that maybe it was archived. Because the other ongoing thread is more a discussion about the pros and cons of Kickstarter, I’m opening a new one to briefly resume all the latest news and goodies from the game. I’ll try to keep this updated as work progresses (and sorry if you’ve already seen some of this stuff!).

Just today we posted the full intro to the game, a 2-minute long ride towards the Hanwell Mental Institute. Quite reminiscent of Scratches maybe (yeah, I have a thing with brooding car rides toward unspeakable horrors):

This footage alone took us three months to get it right. We’re very happy with the final result as it sets the right mood for the kind of game that awaits you: brooding, surreal, and relentlessly menacing. If you pay attention, you might notice disturbing details.

As you might know, Asylum has been in alpha for a while. The entire building can be explored fully, close to 100 distinct locations with tons of horrifying things. We’re now implementing the actual game logic, and this year we achieved a crucial milestone in the project: the characters you meet in Hanwell, and the way you interact with them, have been finalized. As I’ve said often, this was no small feast: the idea is that the dwellers of the asylum should look and behave humanly, with impressive animations and believable reactions to your questions. They’re almost on the same level of big budget games, and they took a tremendous time to get right. Here’s a test we did for the mysterious Lenny — perhaps your only friend in Hanwell — and he’s already looking much better:

Other progress include the breathtaking new visual effects, such as a foreboding weather system that will completely change the style and feel of the asylum as the story progresses. Check out this oppressive sunset and brooding thunderstorm:

The reason I don’t want to venture a release date is to avoid giving you false expectations. We’ve been doing so for the past years (harkening back to an embarrassing “Coming 2011”) and you see how that went. This is a huge game, too huge we reckon, with a difficult schedule that’s been hard to estimate, but we’re pulling it off. We’re also very stubborn when it comes to the quality and style of the things we do. The kind of detail we’re striving to achieve can be seen in this mysterious tape recorder — note the strikingly realistic wobbling tape head:

Those Kickstarter backers who tried Asylum can confirm that simply moving around Hanwell alone can take several hours. For sure, this is a game that will live up to the expectations, not just playing it but encouraging endless theories and discussions about its story.

Oh, we have dead cats too:

But seriously, rest assured that all is well and that we’re making progress every day. The moment Asylum is closer to become a reality, it will all happen very fast: new trailer, dozens of screenshots, lengthy gameplay video, post-mortem, live Q&A, demo, you name it. We’re saving all that to build hype for the shocking moment of truth when you get to see for yourselves the fruit of five years of work (and counting). It will happen. 100% guaranteed.

For now, thank you so much for your patience and support. Here’s hoping you enjoyed this preliminar look into our ambitious project at Senscape that may earn a permanent place in your nightmares.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 22, 2015

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Infinity: Battlescape is doing a kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/309114309/infinity-battlescape

After an early sprint the pledges have almost ground to a halt probably because they so far have had very very little publicity, I hope that changes when Scott Manley does a stream with the devs.
I really want to see them succeed, their prototype is already solid if lacking in asset quality(almost all art assets are placeholders) and it's only going to get better.
The netcode is the most impressive part though, it's smooth as all hell even with pings of 150 to 200ms they claim they did tests with virtual players and got up to ~150 or so players without any issues and their netcode isn't even optimised yet.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Is this that same engine that was sort of popular a few years ago showing off seamless flight from space to a planet surface? And procedural generation of planets?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is this that same engine that was sort of popular a few years ago showing off seamless flight from space to a planet surface? And procedural generation of planets?

Pretty sure! I recognise the name.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yeah it's by the same people, they decided on a much more realistic goal than a pie in the sky MMO but you still get the full scale planets and whatnot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TheCoach posted:

Yeah it's by the same people, they decided on a much more realistic goal than a pie in the sky MMO but you still get the full scale planets and whatnot.

quote:

An epic space sim where 100's of players wage war across a seamless, procedurally generated, true to scale solar system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Is it bad that I just want another Colony Wars?