Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

gibbed posted:

:(

Have they said anything to indicate they're going to try something else? I don't see anything on the Kickstarter page.

Sad, but a very good example of what happens when you don't advertise your Kickstarter. I just stumbled across it by accident and plonked down a pledge as a show of support, but I found it with 6 days to go and knew straight away that it wasn't going to be successful. Hopefully they'll learn and get the word out properly this time.

Speaking of getting the word out, check out Strike Suit Zero, a space/mech shooty sim with hot laser death and explosions. Seems they need the Kickstarter to publish the game rather then develop it, and the video looks very sweet. I mean, look at all that dakka! Plus if you can turn into a mech and use melee attacks, there's the very real possibility of punching a capital ship to death :black101: Must go find out.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Megazver posted:

So there's yet another MMO on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1688404825/gloria-victis-dark-medieval-mmorpg

Apparently it's going for a cross between Gothic and Mount & Blade. I am not sure, but I kinda like them.

It looks interesting, I just wish it wasn't an MMO since lag can ruin this style of combat.. Ah well, finances willing I'll plonk some money on this.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

seorin posted:

I think there are two reasons I can't bring myself to ever back an MMO kickstarter. First, they're easily the most likely gaming kickstarter to fail even after funding. Second, they're the only kickstarter where you actually won't get the game at the end. I've seen them offering beta access and a certain length of subscription time, but that just doesn't grab me the same way as getting a copy of a normal game, even though I play and enjoy MMOs.

I also really question the long term success of their game if they're relying on a subscription model in 2012 (let alone whatever year they think they'll be ready to release).

They seem to be going for a Guild Wars 2-style scheme where it's F2P with cosmetic microtransactions, which is smart because after the failure of Old Republic it's pretty obvious that subscriptions are a no-go these days.

I agree that an MMO Kickstarter is a risky proposition, but the fact that they have a working alpha already is encouraging. Ah well, I knew the risks when I signed up.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
TBH, I never saw the appeal of that Hero-U game considering the pitch video was a bunch of caricatures of people I've never heard of and what looked like my mad Aunt and Uncle back from their latest trip to Darkest Africa with stories about "those wacky natives". Plus Project Eternity aside (because it's loving Obsidian) I don't like committing to a Kickstarter without at least a working prototype.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Man, what's with all of the space sim kickstarters all of a sudden. Star Citizen, Strike Suit Zero and now a new Elite? Hell, maybe this'll start a new wave of space sims and Disney will commission a new X-Wing and/or TIE Fighter game. A man can dream.....a man can dream....

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Sirs you are being informed that Sir You Are Being Hunted has reached it's goal :monocle: Jolly good, tea and crumpets all around.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Le0 posted:

I'm intrigued by this game, looks great and quite original. However it's purely single player? I haven't found any mention of multiplayer

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1499900830/sir-you-are-being-hunted/posts/343388

Scroll down a bit :colbert:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Overflight posted:

Calling it now: X114JAM9 is Barack Obama.

More Like Barack O-Jam-A :iamafag:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

I don't really get the hype behind Star Citizen.

PEW PEW! PEW! PEWPEWPEWPEW! FWOOOOOSH......BOOM!

Basically, it's a goddamned space sim, which are pretty rare these days. And I need my hot laser death fix. Plus it looks damed pretty, polyvoxels be damned.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Karpaw posted:

FTL did their campaign before stretch goals were a thing and got 2000% of their goal. What did they do with all that money?

Blackjack and hookers :colbert:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

0lives posted:

The surge in pledges is quite likely thanks to TotalBiscuit's video on the game, seeing as how the pledges increased by £17,000 in the last 8 hours. Which is really fantastic, because I don't think Maia was going to make it otherwise.

Yup, as soon as I saw that I knew that Maia would end up funded. And lo and behold!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

I was rooting for them right up until that writing update. I hope they fire that awful hack they found and hire someone who's written things other then NWN quest dialogue. Or at least seek the editorial opinion of someone who's read a book that doesn't have a big-breasted lady barbarian in a metal bikini on the cover.

Yea, that was what made me pull my pledge. A pity, as the engine looks good but it's starting to look like another Tresspasser, excellent in-game tech dragged down by a lovely game.

Al! posted:

Also I feel bad for the Xenonauts guys now that a really good XCOM game has come out.

Really? If anything, XCOM helped Xenonauts because a lot of the previews about XCOM mentioned Xenonauts. Free publicity baby! Although given that it's XCOM it'll probalby end up with the Xenonaut studio burning down :xcom:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

The Mandate looks like it might not make it and I have no idea why. It looks awesome. :smith:

Looks like it will make it now :ussr: Space Vodka for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

The Mandate just funded, and it managed to reach the 700k Starbase boarding stretch goal right at the death :woop:

:ussr: Now to go watch numerous re-runs of Hornblower to get into the naval mood.