Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Toxxupation posted:

Reminder that I only pursue artistically and creatively original works, which is why here in the kickstarter thread I get super upset over traced or filtered or whatever screenshots from a movie that look completely and utterly visually distinct from their source , and only support truly original works like shovel knight, wasteland 2, or shadowrun returns

Also I hate Kanye wests stronger because he took my beautiful daft punk song and infected it with black people music, art isn't iterative at all

Lol, you have the lowest loving standards imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I personally regret backing their second KS waaaaay more than the Yogventures one or any other, to be honest.

What happened with it?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This is all very negative, so what games has kickstarter funded that are widely accepted to be actually good games? (note 'widely accepted', I'm sure there's some goons who furiously hate a lot of what I'm about to list but I'm trying to ascertain the general view of them).

Off the top of my head I can think of Pillars of eternity, Shovel Knight, Divinity: Original sin, FTL, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Darkest Dungeon, Kentucky Route Zero, The Banner Saga and Chroma Squad.

Stuff like Elite: Dangerous or Hand of Fate seem more divisive but some people really seem to love them.

I don't know what to do with the likes of Wasteland 2 or Broken Age which seem to be disappointments to most, though they could have been worse.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Toxxupation here, I found the whole Broken Age thing frustrating since it looks like they ended up trying to cater to the demands of 'hardcore' adventure gamers and not having the guts to just trust in their own creative vision, the whole thing felt like a damp squib and I don't have much respect for it when it seemed they so easily folded to the criticisms of one particular group. Say what you will, Broken age isn't going down as one of the greats.

By the way here's somebody whose not John Walker and is a bit more erudite talking about some of the Game's problems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPz-dAgXS1s

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Doublefine's financial situation is unfortunate(and seems to be heavily tied to its poor management), but lots of people, myself included did buy the game with no experience with old Adventure Games and were annoyed with the ridiculous 180 in terms of game design and unsatisfying resolution. With or without old adventure game fans the genre will just end up being shoved back into obscurity if people have decided that Gabriel Knight 3 offered the gold standard of puzzle design, besides the adventure gamers of old are hardly a growing or vigorous demographic, I doubt Doublefine's going to find much long term success if that's what it wants as its core market.

In any event there seem to be a whole bunch of games that have come out and are coming out from the likes of Telltale, Fullbright, Dontnod, Amanita Design and others that scratch a lot of the itches of old Adventure Games with less of the bullshit, why couldn't Double Fine have taken on some of that?

It just blows my mind when compared to something like Pillars of Eternity, sure it started out as nostalgia bait, but it was a drat good game that was able to forge new ground for an old Genre which bodes well for the future, though I have no idea if Obsidian got much money out of it.

E; Wrong company.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 2, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Do not even ask posted:

Amanita Design isn't exactly the best company to name when listing "companies that do point-and-click adventure games right"

Ok fine, I just liked Machinarium and it felt less obtuse than some of the other stuff I've played.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Megazver posted:

The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human is a... submarine Metroidvania where you swim around in the ocean-covered ruins of human civilization.

The pitch video is rather charming, check it out.
This looks really slick. Its really nailing that 'deepest darkest depths holding unknown mystery and horror!' atmosphere, also I'm a huge sucker for sunken city-scapes. So annoyed I don't have any spare money to send towards this, I hope it gets funded :(.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Megazver posted:

FTL, if you like that sort of thing. Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Divinity: Original Sin. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2. Dreamfall: Chapters is shaping up to be excellent, but it's just about to release the third episode out of five. People seem to like Kentucky Route Zero and Shovel Knight. Pillars of Eternity, Banner Saga and, lol, Broken Age aren't perfect, but they're still fine.

POE is better than fine.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pomp posted:

I'm not sure why they expected Bards Tale to be as much of a roaring success at other classic RPG revivals.

Pillars of Eternity - There hasn't been a good infinity engine style CRPG since 2002.

Torment - A really unique IP. No one has really even tried to make a western rpg that weird and dialogue heavy since PS:T, and there's a lot of love for the original to this day.

Wasteland 2 - 100% filling the void that Project Van Buren and the Fallout 3 sequels we got left behind.

Shadowrun Returns - Nerds love weird genre fusion worlds, and there hasn't been a good Shadowrun RPG literally ever.

A Bards Tale 4 - Generic fantasy IP, no real fan yearning left. Etrian Odyssey, Might And Magic X, and Legend of Grimrock successfully brought the genre back ages ago.

Hasn't Bard's Tale IV reached its goal though and still has a week to go? Did somebody at IneXile express their disappointment at the amount of money they have received so far?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Practically the whole of Western Europe still buys more physical discs than download titles, IIRC.

Surprised by that, the PC sections of gamestop or HMV here in Ireland have very slim pickings indeed.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm really hoping castlevania and shenmue crash hard because of this.

I can't wait until both the developer's and backer's hopes and dreams get dashed horribly and they lose a large amount of money and the former will probably be put in serious financial straits and/or lose their job and those of several other people!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll never touch Amnesia because I hate jump scares.

What.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The Star Citizen situation really irks me since its inevitable implosion will probably really badly damage Crowdfunding. Plenty of good games have come from it but 90 million scuppered for Chris Roberts mansions and coke habit will likely wreck any good will that remains.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Accordion Man posted:

I don't know Ouya bombed pretty hard and Kickstarters are still chugging along just fine. Also at this point Star Citizen is its own beast.

The thing is at least Ouya produced something and some of the other kickstarter messes like Mighty No. 9 at least seem set to release an actual product, just not good ones.

Star Citizen is really looking like the worst possible outcome of the crowd funding model, the highest amount of money ever raised in a crowd funding campaign evaporating in the face of hubris, greed and sheer incompetence. Still, seems like you could write a really good book about the whole thing, eventually.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Why do people keep on talking about the impending doom of infinity battlescape? Its not breaking records but its making money at a steady rate and still has a week to go, it probably wont reach any stretch goals but it looks to me like it should get the 300k.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I told you guys Infinity: Battlescape would get funded! It probably won't reach any stretch goals though...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HGH posted:

10 days for 400K. Gonna be interesting to see how potent last minute second winds are on IGG.

I get the impression that the amount of pledges are accelerating, would I be wrong in that?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if all said and done they'll still end up failing to make it.

On Indiegogo, any pledges go straight to the creator right there and then don't they? If they ended up with, say 1 420 000 dollars wouldn't they still have a whole lot of money to do something with even if they hadn't managed to break a neat one and a half million?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ratzap posted:

I just came across this game on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eotu/empires-of-the-undergrowth

Ant battles sounds cool and anything that promotes insects is good by me. They aren't asking much either.

This was always one of those concepts I thought would make a kickass game when I was reading about creepy crawlies as a kid, I hope this gets funded :)

Motto posted:

That's nice, but sheesh, talk about cutting it close.

I'd say the people at lab zero will have some very well-chewed fingernails after everything they've had to go through to bring Indivisible to life.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 2, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I wonder if lab zero will ever use indiegogo again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know people are wary about doublefine and Schafer now but I wonder if after everything about broken age and DF-9 that they've sobered up a bit and know that can't gently caress around with this?

Asimo posted:

Psychonauts had some interesting elements but it played like poo poo, the characters look like Nicktoons rejects with fetal alcohol syndrome, and there's many drat good reasons it failed so spectacularly. I am so very looking forward to people suddenly realizing this and regretting their bad choices however long in the future this actually comes out. If it does at all.

I don't really get the furious hatred that people have for Psychonaut's gameplay. I played lots of 3D platformers when I was young and Psychonauts never felt particularly clumsy or poorly designed (except for, ugh, the meat circus) compared to the majority of other platformers. Granted it didn't set the world on fire but it was serviceable enough, the gameplay never felt like a massive impediment to enjoying its story and general creativity.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 4, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr Underhill posted:

Grim Fandango remastered?

Come on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Asimo posted:

As a reminder, Psychonauts came out in 2005, almost a decade and a full console generation after Mario 64, there ain't an excuse for that poo poo.

This is ridiculous, Psychonauts looks great for a 2005 game released chiefly on the consoles. Measuring it against loving quake IV (which ended up being a glorified PC tech demo with Id technology) or something is really disingenuous.

Golden Goat posted:

It's pretty good.

Its not even a Double fine game, its a re-release of a lucasarts game that Schafer made almost twenty years ago.

Still, I feel as though I'm willing to give Double fine a bit more space here than most. Some of the main things to keep in mind with Broken Age, for all its faults, is that the project was started primarily to make the documentary, the game was a secondary thing compared to showing the process of making a game to the general public. However they got way more money than they planned for when people got the idea that they were planning out a true successor to the adventure epics of the nineties. So Double Fine ended up throwing together ideas for grand epic game on the fly without really planning the whole thing out, while the fans were convinced this was going to be the second coming of christ and both were inevitably disappointed when it was obvious a project that ballooned so haphazardly wasn't going to be quite what they hoped. The fan reaction also led to stupid stuff like the painfully outdated puzzle design of the second half.

At least here Schafer and Double-Fine know what they're making this time around and have communicated that much more clearly, while also laying out a gameplan with regards to funding. I suppose, as I've said earlier, I think that he knows there aren't going to be anymore free lunches for him if he royally fucks this one up, the honeymoon period of 2012 is long gone and as this thread has shown there's a lot more cynicism directed towards him, I would hope that means he knows he can't gently caress around. Beside Psychonauts 2 is his ace in the hole, its the most marketable thing he could put out at this point so that would mean he'd have to treat this much more seriously than Broken Age.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Asimo posted:

That was about gameplay, not graphics. :what:

Oh sorry, should have quoted one of the screenshot posts.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Litany Unheard posted:

Yes, I am literally shaking with rage at the thought of Psychonauts 2. And hipsters. Evil game-playing hipsters.

Psychonauts sold a bunch of copies once it got some nostalgia pieces written about it and, this is the important part, went on sale for the price of a soda. I really don't think Psychonauts 2 will have an audience that much larger than the people willing to pledge to it.

Edit: Granted, it will have more name rec and the front page of Steam, so it'll sell better than the first title. But that's a really low bar to clear.

Psychonauts has gained an awful lot of notoriety since its release, in spite of its initial financial failure.

Its a cult hit sure, but your hugely exaggerating how small a market exists for it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hav posted:

I'll bite. What were they, and why didn't the market give it the initial resounding success you believe it deserved?

Sincere question, do you really loving believe that market success is a good indicator of genuine quality?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hav posted:

No, but it's the only metric that matters to the Bank manager when you're trying to get an extension on payroll, and those are the commercial realities that adults face.
That's lovely but I don't really think its particularly relevant to this thread since I doubt anyone here is a hard headed investor looking for any greater return than a fun videogame.

quote:

But I'll extend the same thing to yourself; what were the reasons why it is a 'legitimately good game', and why didn't it achieve market success?

Mainly because it was a representative of a genre that was well into its dying days, late in the life of the PS2 and Xbox and (from what I remember at the time) got barely any marketing.

I'd played a lot of platformers when I was young and I remember finding Psychonauts kind of an odd throwback for 2005, at that point platformers were transitioning away from, well, platforming, and towards greater emphasis on action (think Ratchet and Clank and the later Jak and Daxter games), It reminded me more of something like Crash Bandicoot or Spyro from the PS1 days.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Oxxidation posted:

Both of which were also actually kind of terrible when viewed in hindsight.

To be honest, all of the games I mentioned in that post would be called kind of terrible by lots of people (including psychonauts).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

al-azad posted:

I'll also fight over Crash Bandicoot, that was one of the few 3D platformers that understood the limitations of early 3D consoles by limiting itself in scope. No fighting over a terrible camera when all the action happens in view.

Where are my 3D narrow-plane platformer kickstarters?

Crash Bandicoot is really strange, it was suuuuuuper early in the context of 3d platformers so it reflects tons of leftover design principles from 2d platformers, the level design is extremely rigid and doesn't really allow for exploration or deviation from the set path, compared to Mario 64 and Spyro the differences are obvious, you can't really go in any direction except forward and back. The camera never deviates from its rails and continues along a totally set path. A lot of the time it drops any pretense of the third dimension meaning anything and just turns into an old school side-scroller.

And yet it all kind of works, like you say there's no wonky camera bullshit to worry about and the levels have a good sense of flow to them, which works especially well for the time trails in the third game. They also have clever easter eggs and secrets for people who can think outside the box (my favorite was a colored gem you get not by breaking ever box in a level, but by not breaking any boxes at all). In my opinion it is also a masterclass on how to make really, really good looking 3D games on an extremely primitive system, everything has so much life and zest to it, the colours are great and the animation reminds me of a warner bros cartoon, finally I still find it difficult to believe that they were able to pull off these water effects on the PS1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyfbH2ppYBs

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

maybe he should learn proper planning.

From the beginning Broken Age was a project without proper planning and that was abundantly clear. Double fine didn't go in with the idea that they'd be single-handedly reviving Adventure gaming, they thought they'd make a quick small game and the documentary to go along with it, but they ended up with millions more than they anticipated and the expectations to deliver the heavens to ubernerds.

There was no way it was going to end well.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm surprised if any game I play doesn't see a dip in quality during the back end

This is so true, in addition the original Psychonauts has this weird thing going on with its final act.

I know everyone finds the meat circus a horrible pain in the rear end from a gameplay point of view, and they're right, it is, but it was actually that final stretch that enamored me towards the game the most. I found it a very satisfying conclusion narratively and it really showed off the game's twisted creativity very well. And it came off the back of what really looked like a slapdash, boring final boss fight, it really looked like it was going to have the kind of boring, rushed ending I'd seen in 90% of the games I'd played, but to its credit, despite its many problems, its final section left quite an impression.

That makes me wonder if the game was originally slated to end with the brain tank boss, but they added the meat circus on when it looked the ending was going to be otherwise pretty unsatisfying, which probably helped suck up more development time and funding.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 7, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'm more fascinated in the whole Fig side of this project, as at the moment it doesn't appear this project being on a weird alternative site is much of a deterrent to people who want to pledge.

It's also interesting to see the investment total is holding roughly equal to the regular backer total. I thought I read there was an SEC rule that limited investment to $1 million but that doesn't seem to be a barrier here.

Wasn't there a rumor going around that Obsidian might use Fig for a 'Vampire: the Masquerade-Bloodlines' successor? I imagine the relative success Psychonauts 2 seems to be having so far would make it a bit more enticing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

fishmech posted:

Sure seems stupid to give someone a good grade if they can't manage to do more than half of what's asked of them right, so it's Euro scores that are really dumb.

America is not and never will be wrong.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I wonder what the final take will be, it probably won't get the big push that happens at the end of many big name kickstarter projects, its campaign might be too long.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

al-azad posted:

How one man can get stars in his eyes and splurge on well known actors and lavish event parties and orchestrated music. Broken Age Part 2 wasn't written yet until October 2014, 9 months after Part 1 was released and the final product ended up being completely light on story and heavy on bullshit adventure game puzzles.

To be fair, I believe that the big name actors (Jack Black and Elijah Wood anyway) cost less than people think since Black is a friend of Schafer and Wood just wanted to be in the game and didn't care much about the money.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I kind of wish there was a moratorium on any talk to do with Schafer or Double Fine until 2018, at which point we can marvel at Psychonauts 2 for the incredibly tight yet creative platforming and level design, gorgeous visuals and rip-roaringly funny yet heart breakingly touching writing that causes Toxxupation's head to explode an absolves Tim of all past wrongdoing OR we can laugh at the fumbled, clearly unfinished game being farted on to early access as a profusely sweating Schafer tries to explain to backers and investors that splitting the game into 4 parts is integral to his vision and totally not because they ran out of money and completely rewrote the script nine times after production began, to which Mr Underhill will continue to furiously defend every thing that happens while dressed up as a milkman.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've said it before but I so hope that sometime in the future, when CIG is a burning crater and Roberts has vanished into the high arctic, that somebody who worked on Start Citizen writes a book about the insanity that must be going on there.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've been playing the aquatic adventures of the last human. Dang, its the hyper-atmospheric underwater metroidvania I never knew I wanted, bit short though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Foglet posted:

ed: Oddworld's remake too, I think

Personally I think the visuals were a letdown compared to the original.