Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SaltyJesus posted:

E: Haha, holy poo poo are the TUG guys serious? They just made an update about stretch goals; with $236,000 in pledges and 47 hours left how high do you think they went? An unassuming $850,000... A bit optimistic, no?

The TUG Kickstarter posted:

These goals will stay up throughout the remainder of the Kickstarter campaign, the duration of the Paypal campaign, and into Beta! WE CAN DO IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

fatedtemp posted:

Do you really think they'll deliver half of what they've promised? It's like they boiled down Peter Molyneux and have been getting high off the fumes. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but they wouldn't be the first to promise the moon and fall short.

Eh, they'll probably fall short on a few things. I backed it because it's run by a bunch of quirky academics and social scientists who want to make a game FOR SCIENCE :science:.

(No really, that's their actual motto.)

The whole concept just makes me smile really. Even if the game goes up in flames, I'm convinced I've got to be right there on the ground floor as it happens.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 30, 2013

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

I've only loosely followed their updates; the main concern I'd have is if they chase a whole bunch of fanciful gimmicks instead of focusing on what is critical to complete the game, which is dangerous if you've only got a certain amount of money to work with.

I'm not too worried. I mean, they're making it in the tradition of Minecraft, which is pretty much just "building blocks + a whole bunch of gimmicks" the game, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Has anyone mentioned the game Nevermind? I'm not really to into horror games myself but it at least seems to have a novel premise. On the other hand, I'm currently helping to do research on automatic stress detection methods, and that stuff is spotty even in a lab environment. I can't imagine it's going to work better with a video game.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

1 million times backed. I just shelled out to design an item. Goons, present to me your best (worst) ideas!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I was surprised at how much they're asking for, but then I realized that they have no stretch goals outlined. It gives me the sense that they know exactly the game they want to make, and have probably made a good estimation for what that game costs to make. It's at least worth the early bird for me.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Muraena posted:

Darkest Dungeon seems to be doing pretty well, what with hitting 200k goal. Do you guys find it likely they'll make it all the way to 500k?

No. I think they could make 350 - 400 though.

Also what's "spindly legs"?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well, now that I know what the spindly legs thing is referring to, I got to say I kind of like that kind of style.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Occupation posted:

this game is mirrors edge

Correction: It looks to be mirror's edge without all the awful combat sections. That alone makes it much better in my mind. Too bad it won't make it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Cicero posted:

A proper Mirror's Edge sequel would be mind-blowing on the Rift. Possibly stomach-blowing too though.

Oh wow, I never thought of that. The ability to quickly glance down at your feet would fix one of the major problems people had with Mirror's Edge.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Falling large distances is already uncomfortable in ME. On the Rift it would be simply too much.

I think it depends on the person. I got to try out a Rift demo where you fly around as Ironman and I plummeted all over the place without getting sick. You're probably right that it would be too much for a lot of people though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Did Shakespeare ever write a scene that was just a long series of two women going:

"Thou art an unchaste harlot!"
"Nay, methinks it is thou who art the woman of the night, villain!"
"Surely thou jests! It is thine virtue which is contemptible!"
etc.

???

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I really don't know how you respond to the video for this. I can't even tell if I liked it or not. Either way, it's probably worth two minutes of your time to watch.
It's like a terrifying mixture of Yume Nikki and OFF. How can I say no.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Illessa posted:

Also the music is awesome, though hearing Japanese sung in a London accent messes with my brain.

Ya like Queen?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, especially with the way big tech companies have been getting sue-happy these days, I wouldn't risk drawing the ire of Blizzard's legal department. There's a little wiggle room because "Diablo" is you know, the name of a figure in real world religion (and I don't think Blizzard is at "Edge" levels of legal frivolity yet). It has to be sufficiently distinct in both its full name and representation though. They could probably get away with it if they were making like, a rhythm game named "El Diablo's Saxaphone Extravaganza!", but not with what they're doing.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I would kickstart a game where I could make the Devil play Careless Whisper though.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

I just got a reminder email for this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omocat/omori

First: WTF? What the hell? Why did I even tag this as a "remind me"?

Second: What is everyone's opinion on this?

To me, it feels kinda like Yume Nikki and Earthbound.

It got talked about a while back, people were kind of split. I backed it pretty much immediately, it's just got a great style to it, and I don't even tend to like Japanese-y stuff. I am kind of surprised that they raised over 100k for what is essentially an RPGmaker game though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

See, that one is pretty good, but most of the rest of the art assets I see on their page don't really impress me that much.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

HomeMake looks pretty cool. Kind of surreal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

CaptainScraps posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emberstorm/black-cats-story-an-off-the-wall-humor-filled-adve?ref=discovery

Black Cat is an abomination and I kind of want to make it happen to see how awful it is.

I'm likely going to throw it money just to put a friend in the game and have him do humiliating things and be immortalized in this game forever because it's terrible.

What the ever loving gently caress am I looking at.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hey, was anyone disappointed that the last Elder Scrolls game was an MMO? Well, thankfully someone is kickstarting a game that supplies the core TES gameplay mechanic that was missing: knocking things off tables.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

They basically ripped that off from one of the minigames in Jazzpunk.

Man, I didn't even know that game existed. They might not have either.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

In fifty years will plastic-punk be a thing?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 27, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm disappointed that I missed kickstarting Undertale, but I'll definitely buy it when it comes out. The concept is great and Toby Fox's music is always wonderful.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Artwood posted:

Grapple Force Rena

My bro started this on the 30th of June - it plays like a Genesis/Mega Drive-era platformer centering around grapple mechanics. It's a browser-based game, but as a "serialized action game" it plays like a webcomic, each level on its own page and new levels coming out every other week. Backers and subscribers also get a DRM-free downloadable version of the game to play at their leisure. It's moving along at a pretty good pace, already at 3/7 of its goal in its first week, but I'd like to get it as much exposure as I can!

That intro video was adorable. It's not really my thing, but I wish you all the luck.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

heavy liquid posted:

Has Jotun been mentioned yet?

Looks pretty cool. I don't get the opportunity to play stocky chicks too often.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Don't know if this was linked yet, but Darkest Dungeon have a gameplay video up on YouTube and it's just really cool.

Holy crap that looks fantastic. I am so glad I backed that. I coughed up enough to design an item, still trying to figure out one metal enough to live up to that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a few idea for that but I didn't back for that tier myself. My idea was a locket with the picture of a girl you could find in one of the starter dungeons that would protect against morale loss, like a memento of happier times. Then if you encountered her zombified corpse in the darkest dungeon it incurs a total morale loss on the hero carrying it. If you destroy her and bring her back for proper burial the locket would give the morale protection to the whole party.

My other ideas were all generic weapons crap.

Ooh that's pretty good. Maybe I'll steal that if I can't think of anything better. Otherwise I feel like I'd need to know more about the details of the game system to make a cursed item that fits well enough. (and of course it needs to be cursed look at this loving game)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

macnbc posted:

The Kicktraq algorithm does exactly what it says it does, it shows what the campaign is trending towards at the current rate pledges are coming in. They're very careful to say it's a trendline, not a projection. (Though they do have a projection chart.)

Which makes it even weirder that they still use the trendline. Their projection is more representative of a project at pretty much all points in the process, and yet they still have that awful trendline value featured front and center.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So I just caught wind of this "Darkest Dungeons" game, it looks pretty good and it's kickstarter was successful but holy poo poo they want either $50 or $90 for the game. I don't think I've bought or even seen a game that expensive in the last 5 years. Stupid AAA shovelware is like $50 but everything else is usually always 15-30 or so. Does anyone know anything about this game or why they're charging so much? Are they going to be insane like "Distant Worlds" and refuse to budge on their $50 price even years after release?

The things you can buy on their site are like "Deluxe Packs", which include a bunch of the kickstarter rewards in them. It looks like they're basically the equivalent of the paypal campaign things people sometimes do after their kickstarter finishes. I'm sure the finished product will cost a lot less by itself.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 17, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think the reason minecraft clones fail is because minecraft as it started was a really simplistic game. Everything was just a little box; it was essentially just virtual leggos. It only really started getting complex after it got popular and started making money. People making minecraft-likes these days don't have that luxury. They have to be better than minecraft in significant and noticeable ways on day one, or people will just play minecraft instead.

Its the same problem you get with WoW and MMOs for the most part.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sinking too much time and money trying to directly compete with something that's been in development for years is essentially the comparison I'm making. The real difference is that the small teams making minecraft clones tend to hit their funding limit a lot earlier than the big teams making WoW clones, so the scaling back happens before release instead of after.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Cicero posted:

Hey guys, remember this?

Notable Bizarro-Earthbound Lisa: The Painful RPG has a new trailer. It's, uh, certainly something.

edit: it looks really cool in some ways, but at the same time...just so weird.

This may be the scariest looking horror game I've ever seen.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Speaking of Hyper Light Drifter, does anyone here have the preview build? Hows that looking?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Possibly the most seminal romance visual novel ever is getting a kickstarter for a proper english localization: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/clannad-official-english-release (Warning: anime ahead ~uguu~)

Clannad is mostly know in the west for having a very popular anime adaptation (and is one of like two successful VN to anime adaptations). It is widely known in Japan as a landmark release in the genre. It's getting funded crazy fast.

Oh god why does everyone look like they have down's syndrome.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think from now on, in place of goatse, I am now going to link this image.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Multiple >15MB animated gifs.

I pretty much can't view my 'Activity' page on my netbook because it always tries to load ~500 megabytes of poo poo at once. Who thought this was a good idea?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Imagine if someone took hyperbole and a half and added a bunch of reddit memes, grammar non "jokes" that only appeal to pedantic twats, and a Buckley-style smug entitled attitude

I wish I could find the comic that he made defending pirating game of thrones that boils down to "I don't like paying for things" with more words

Hey that's not fair. Hyperbole and a Half is actually funny.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ah yes, a return to the time of the imbedded, auto-playing sound file.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

However, it seems that most developers on KS are knowingly low-balling the development time in their initial KS campaign to make the game seem in a more advanced state than it really is (and thus attract more backers).

This isn't something that's unique to Kickstarter, or even game development. Software developers in general are notorious for consistently underestimating the time necessary to produce a product. It's a known cognitive bias. Your AAA games probably made the same mistake. The difference is here you're all now involved in the development process, so you get to hear the projections that companies have learned to keep secret from their customers.

A good rule for dealing with your average software dev is to treat their estimate as a lower bound to development time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair its really hard to properly estimate your time on software development. :smith:

I've taken to just doubling whatever my gut feeling is when somebody asks me for an estimate. Sometimes I finish way under the time I gave them, but all too often something takes longer than you expect it will.

Oh definitely, I say this as a programmer myself. I do the exact same thing when I'm estimating my projects.