Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

That feels like such a goddamned waste of money.

Wow. Someone actually looked at Oblivion and concluded its voice-acting budgeting was a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kawalimus posted:

Their best hope is the monster guide at this point, and that's a major long shot. They do seem to have gotten a little boost since they got funded which might get them to the "Father Diary" goal if it keeps up. But yeah it's got 5 days left so those other things just aren't going to happen at least through this particular kickstarter.

Having the demo ready at the start of the KS might have helped them a bit.

Oh yeah, hm. I forgot that stretch goals don't count if the funds come after the deadline. In which case, they're hosed.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

poemdexter posted:

Something about this whole thing smells fishy. There's no nailed down game design and all they have is a bunch of gifs of spaceship stuff in a video. So they have all this game and not a single bit of UI anywhere? Give me a break. I would not be surprised if this was a scam. If you want to play a similar game that actually exists, good news!

Are you angry because they're going to make more money than you? And I think spindly legs look fine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

Good thing they're never going to make it, then?

I'm not following their kickstarter, so I don't know how much money they have or are likely to get. I just know that it is a terrible idea for the actual game as far as cost versus quality markers go.

edit: It may be okay if it nets them more money for the project, but if they could have spun the current process of motion capture without big name actors it'd have come across just as sexily, have raised just as much, and have been just as effective.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 19, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

YOURFRIEND posted:

Are you angry because they're going to make more money than you? And I think spindly legs look fine.

That's not his Kickstarter. But it does belong to a fellow goon and all around cool guy, Coldrice.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Drifter posted:

That feels like such a goddamned waste of money.

Tell them in the comments.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I'll throw out my 2 cents on it since it's in a lot of ways similar to Interstellaria, but with a really cool look / interesting mechanic.

From what I can tell there seems to be no real game yet, and someone on twitter said they are a bit inept. They've also deleted posts regarding wanting gameplay footage. I'm guessing what we're seeing is probably an edited video and gifs. Welp.

Now do I think they'll use the money to start the game? Yes. Probably why the release date is so far. Do I think it'll do well? Of course. It's got good reception already. Do I think it's a bit scummy to launch a kickstarter for something that doesn't exist? Yes but who knows I could be wrong and there's a playable build somewhere. Either way I decided not to worry about it - our games aren't going to be overlapping after all so I don't really need to stress.

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 19, 2014

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Darkest Dungeon seems to be doing pretty well, what with hitting 200k goal. Do you guys find it likely they'll make it all the way to 500k?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Spindly legs looked fine. Once.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Muraena posted:

Darkest Dungeon seems to be doing pretty well, what with hitting 200k goal. Do you guys find it likely they'll make it all the way to 500k?

No. I think they could make 350 - 400 though.

Also what's "spindly legs"?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Someone wants some horses, bad. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1395136511/horse-world-online-a-horse-breeding-game/#chart-daily

KoB
May 1, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

I had to cancel my credit card/have a replacement mailed over an unauthorized purchase this morning. Totally possible it's a coincidence and my pizza guy just chose this week to go rogue, but I thought I'd offer a heads up for extra vigilance just in case. For the hopefully none of you who weren't already paying careful attention after KS' announcement.

Doesnt every payment go through amazon? Would KS even get that info?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Coldrice posted:

They've also deleted posts regarding wanting gameplay footage.

Deleted where? As far as I knew project creators can't actually delete any posts from backers, only Kickstarter themselves can do that when posts are reported.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

KoB posted:

Doesnt every payment go through amazon? Would KS even get that info?

No, they wouldn't. Kickstarter doesn't get credit card info at all and has no way to.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

neongrey posted:

No, they wouldn't. Kickstarter doesn't get credit card info at all and has no way to.

Not if you pledge to non-US projects.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pavlov posted:

No. I think they could make 350 - 400 though.

Also what's "spindly legs"?

Spindly Legs.

Very minimalist-ish spritework where the legs end up being 1 or 2 pixels wide.

It's gotten more common over the years, and people seem to be getting tired of the style/look.

e: Or atleast, people have been complaining louder about it, not sure which is the truest.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It's the kind of thing that should've appeared only in the game that spawned it/made it popular (Sword and Sworcery).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Orzo posted:

I realize some people like them, but yeah, they look so terrible.

They're not so bad on their own but they're almost always paired with graphics that are only barely contrasting between moving things and the environment.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Juan Raigada posted:

Besides, They have a Dec 2015 delivery date, which, even if the game is yet in prototype stage, is a more than reasonable timeframe.
The delivery date raises a few questions marks for me, because they're only asking for 20K GBP which is nothing stretched out over two years. I could understand that amount if the game was near completion and they needed to contract out for extra art work or something but it looks very anaemic as a general development budget.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Deleted where? As far as I knew project creators can't actually delete any posts from backers, only Kickstarter themselves can do that when posts are reported.

From their own website. I have screenshots but we should just drop it I'm not particularly interested in getting into rumors/drama

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SubNat posted:

Spindly Legs.

Very minimalist-ish spritework where the legs end up being 1 or 2 pixels wide.

It's gotten more common over the years, and people seem to be getting tired of the style/look.

e: Or atleast, people have been complaining louder about it, not sure which is the truest.
It's become increasingly weird lately as the sprites grow more busy and detailed yet their legs turn into stumps for some reason:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's a really gross art style. Is that really what's "in" right now?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen at least half a dozen kickstarters using it.

I'm in the camp that it's not necessarily bad, especially since it makes animation easier, but as a minimalist style it breaks down when either the sprites or the backgrounds they are against get too detailed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

It was a huge hit with Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, which did it extremely well and took the style mainstream, and since then there's been loads of people trying to rip it off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That style worked well in Darklands. In 1992.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

It was a huge hit with Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, which did it extremely well and took the style mainstream, and since then there's been loads of people trying to rip it off.

Seems like its a style that works really well with music for some reason because Skrillex Quest also fits it well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I played Skrillex Quest and had a lot of fun with it. It was pretty impressive for all its simplicity. I was very surprised.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MikeJF posted:

I know it's all a matter of taste but I've found my new least-favourite video game art style. It's like an attempt at "retro" that completely misses the point that sprites in old video games had much more going on then being low-resolution.

I mean back in the day when people had limited sprite sizes to work with they found all sorts of tricks to make the sprites pop out of the background and have distinct and recognizable features. This just looks like muddy stick figures, if you can even see them to begin with when they're overlaid on top of the background.

Edit: The backgrounds in that look amazing but I find the character sprites to be gag-inducing

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 20, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the issue with a lot of other games trying to emulate it is that S&S:EP was very much an artistic endeavour with people who knew what they were doing re: pixel art and palettes and detail levels. It was also an attempt to make a game using pixel art and not be 'retro'; they used a lot of glows, blurs, smooth gradients and vector art throughout as well. People trying to co-opt the style into existing retro styles causes issue as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-W5nQQPiAQ

Watch the video; it's hard to get a sense from screenshots.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 20, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just stumbled upon this Savage: The Shard of Gosen game that's ending in 3 days and needs just over a grand to meet its goal. I'm one to :rolleye: at retro stuff but this game seems to pull everything off really well and kinda nails the SNES era look and feel. It even has some Mode 7 looking poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pit_EbwtLHk

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I just stumbled upon this Savage: The Shard of Gosen game that's ending in 3 days and needs just over a grand to meet its goal. I'm one to :rolleye: at retro stuff but this game seems to pull everything off really well and kinda nails the SNES era look and feel. It even has some Mode 7 looking poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pit_EbwtLHk

Seeing the poor posture of the main character in that game made my back hurt. Savage: The Hunchback of Gosen

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I kinda like the Mode-7-esque graphics in the overworld though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Well, now that I know what the spindly legs thing is referring to, I got to say I kind of like that kind of style.

Juan Raigada
Feb 14, 2014
Ok, so after considering where the game is at, I think I won't be able to release the current Alpha of Heart&Slash until next week, at the soonest. Sometimes in game development it's two steps forward, three steps back and then forward again. With all the new content in the current version, we are in the three step backwards state. That I've had to deal with the KS and not have had time to work in the game lately doesn't help.

But since you guys asked for it, there's a very old pre-alpha that although has less content (and a less developed look) it's still somewhat playable. I would love to hear what you think about it: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36079.0 since this could help me getting the new one ready.

Juan Raigada fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 20, 2014

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Juan Raigada posted:

But since you guys asked for it, there's a very old pre-alpha that although has less content (and a less developed look) it's still somewhat playable. I would love to hear what you think about it: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36079.0 since this could help me getting the new one ready.
I take back any misgivings I had about the art style - now that I've played it and seen it in motion it's fine.

Juan Raigada
Feb 14, 2014

Trapezium Dave posted:

I take back any misgivings I had about the art style - now that I've played it and seen it in motion it's fine.

Ok, interesting. So you think the video misrepresents the style?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Juan Raigada posted:

Ok, interesting. So you think the video misrepresents the style?
It was more the initial impression from the still screenshots, especially any with a focus on the floor textures. It didn't really work for me with those. But seeing in play with the dynamic lighting and the animation, it was fine.

Juan Raigada
Feb 14, 2014

Trapezium Dave posted:

It was more the initial impression from the still screenshots, especially any with a focus on the floor textures. It didn't really work for me with those. But seeing in play with the dynamic lighting and the animation, it was fine.

What did you think of the game itself?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

The music tech doesn't fit the graphics tech at all! :supaburn:

In all seriousness, that looks more like an Amiga game than a SNES game, which I haven't seen someone attempt before. I do like the Mode 7 overworld, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Speaking of music tech and retro graphics when are indie nerds gonna make Genesis-likes. I want that real crunchy sound. I need it.