Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The creator of Scratches needs $100,666 to help finish the new horror adventure game he's been working on for the last 4 years, Asylum.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror

Hm, I like adventure and horror games and I heard Scratches was good. Anybody got a good reason to not throw at least $15 at this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I can definitely see being wary about funding them before WL2 comes out, but saying they're just scammers is just being ignorant. They really gave a good explanation of why they had to it and at this point they've reunited essentially all the major people behind the original game plus guys like Ziets and Mitsoda who helped make two of the best RPGs of all time that weren't Torment 1. They clearly have the passion and experience to pull it off so I was willing to trust them, unlike say Ouya which had disaster written all over it from the start.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah TOG's been sending monthly updates for people that backed $40 or more.

I backed Barkley 2, LA Game Space, Asylum, Eternity, Dreamfall, and Torment. Barkley 2 was the first for me to get rewards aside from the game and now next should be the LA Game Space because they already sent out surveys. I went for the Wasteland 2 add-on in the Torment Kickstarter so that's probably next. The rest will all be either next year or 2015. I will also probably buy some of the Kickstarter games that I missed the boat on. (i.e. Shadowrun, Moebius, Dead State, Broken Age) I'm not really worried at all for any of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Among the Sleep, the survival horror game where you play as a toddler that's showed some teasers over the past year or so, just started a new Kickstarter asking for $200,000.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krillbite/among-the-sleep

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Whelp my hype grew and died real quick there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jurassic Park Operation Genesis was also a good tycoon game so there. :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Veronica Mars one was totally justified because WB needed to see that it would be profitable and crowdfunding was the only way. The Zach Braff one seems like he couldn't make the movie he wanted without crowdfunding which makes sense enough.

The new PA one is just scummy, not in the sense of being a scam because its most likely not, but in the sense of "We're going to abuse crowdfunding because we're douchebags and we know you'll give us money anyway."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's base management and conducting research in X-Com you know.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BenRGamer posted:

Strategy in X-Com isn't turn based, though.
Enemy Unknown definitely is.

I really doubt Double Fine would lie about this. They said it would be a tactical RPG with base and lineage management so I'd beleive them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
To be honest if they really play up the rogue-like elements I'm just going to drop my pledge. I despise rogue-likes, it ruined Binding of Isaac for me which sucked because I loved everything else about the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

From talking to people I think there's a decent amount of people really dislking that they're basically entirely banking on "Guys guys...it's DoubleFine!" and have zero solid information to go off.
Yeah I backed it for $20, but the fact that's it been several days and we still don't have a sizable update explaining the game some more isn't very good on DF's part.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

The first Alice is the best thing he's done. It's not a fantastic game, but I like it a lot and the soundtrack is incredible. Alice 2 is really pretty, but largely vapid and repetitive. I haven't played anything else of his and this doesn't look very good at all.
Yeah, I like both games and they are far better than you would think "dark and edgy Alice in the Wonderland" would be at first glance, but I'm not really feeling this one either.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 25, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Trapezium Dave posted:

I never played McGee's Alice because I have a pet peeve against "darker and edgier" Alice in Wonderland attempts - they all take what is a warped and twisted setting to begin with and try to make it more "adult" by stripping out all the political and social satire of the original and replacing it with violence, sex and/or overwhelming dark grimness. This Oz based thing looks the same - Disney's Return to Oz film looks like a better take on the idea.
The Alice games worked because they honestly really weren't grimdark, they were darker but it had purpose and there was more depth to it than just blood and gore. The series had Wonderland be influenced by all the horrors of the Victorian Age that Alice was subjected to, i.e. the horrible mistreatment of the poor, women, and the mentally ill, industrialism and unethical science run rampant. Alice 2 really started getting into it but due to EA rushing it out a lot got cut. As previously said the gameplay for both isn't great, especially the second, but the atmosphere and aesthetic are really good and the plot and characters were nice enough though could have been a lot more if it didn't get rushed.

This on the other hand just seems really uninspired in comparison, it just seems like they went "Nerds never shut up about steampunk and zombies right? Let's put them both together and slap them on The Wizard of Oz even they though have nothing in common! Brilliant!"

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 25, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Blackheart posted:

Oh, good to see this is still being discussed. I've been trying to find the answer but nothing so far, just how am I supposed to spare Vegetoids in the demo? I still have to get a 100% pacifist run.
Just run away from them or don't fight them in the first place.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

waffle posted:

How many major video game Kickstarters have actually yielded a product at this point? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I guess Castle Story has gotten a beta or something out?
Giana Sisters, FTL, Leisure Suit Larry, Expeditions Conquistador, and there's probably some others I'm forgetting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Machine posted:

Yeah I mean there's never been a successful game that was released in multiple parts.
Games like Walking Dead were planned to be episodic from the start. Broken Age was supposed to be one game but Double Fine really mismanaged the hell out of it and now we're not even really guaranteed a second part because now its all riding on enough people buying the first part. People have a good reason to be rather annoyed. If it was just a matter of DF pushing back the release date then yeah I would agree its unreasonable, but that's not the case.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

seorin posted:

Well this looks fascinating: LIONESS. It's a mystery/adventure game with a great trailer and graphics that remind me of Ghost Trick (probably the best possible game to remind me of in this circumstance). They seem to have a thing for sevens, so for $7 you can get seven experimental indie games and all seven episodes of the final game. It actually seems like a pretty good deal.

If you want to know more, there's an article on Indie Statik with a bit more background information, though it doesn't really have much more to say on the kickstarter itself.
It kind of reminds me of fellow Kickstarter game Kentucky Route Zero, which is fantastic and not even half way done. Seven bucks seem like a safe gamble for a game in a similar vein, I'm in for now.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 8, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

Holy cow, Steam's SR: Returns forums are crawling with indignation, ludicrously high expectations, and even a guy complaining that twenty bucks only gets him ten hours of campaign. I'd stroke my chin and puff on a meerschaum, pondering what this kind of upset might mean for studio-scale Kickstarters, but... pfft. These people make the same noises when EA and Co. take dumps on their plates every year, and still come back for extra helpings.
Really gamers are entitled as poo poo. Twenty bucks for ten hours of entertainment is really drat good considering a movie nowadays costs around tens buck a ticket for ~2 hours and a DVD costs more. PC games really are the best bang for your buck.

I'll probably get Shadowrun because its sound like a solid, fun RPG, but probably not until the Winter Sale because I really don't need it right now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Seashell Salesman posted:

Was there ever a truly great Zombie game that set the standard for the genre? People are chasing this notion of being in a Zombie apocalypse from the movies, but I don't think that's ever actually been captured in a game.
Walking Dead definitely set the standard high enough where I really doubt the rest of the industry can truly top it right now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
People threw 8 mil at the Ouya, unless the inevitable backlash finally set in already there well be probably be enough Ouya drones to fund it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah thanks for showing it me too. I pledged a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it hit off on YouTube so its practically guaranteed to be funded at this point.

I actually wanted to play Sanitarium but even the GOG version is buggy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The devs for Awesomenauts need help to make an expansion pack.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ronimo/awesomenauts-starstorm

Just wanted to give the heads up because I just saw it and it seems like a liked enough game here, though I have no interest in MOBAs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's disappointing that it actually isn't about a German U-Boat crew fighting off Deep Ones or something, that sounds rather cool. A horror game set entirely in a subway sounds pretty boring though, subway levels are usually the blandest areas in survival horror games and I should know I love the genre.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 21, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drifter posted:

If you think subway levels are lovely, can you not imagine levels inside a WW2 submarine? It'd be like trying to have Amnesia: Dark Descent play out in a Ford Explorer.
Eh...yeah, true. I just think an underwater survival horror game would be cool. Subways are still rather bland when it comes to survival horror, I only really liked the one in Silent Hill 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds good. If Mighty 09 comes out and we don't have a new Mega Man project of some sort at least announced, I'll get you platinum or something. We'll both lose if I win though because it'll be Double Helix Presents: Mega Man.
I can't wait to fight Particle Effect Man.

I'm not a Mega Man fan, but my friend is. I'll have to tell him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'll allow it Lowtax, just make sure to take pictures.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shyfted One posted:

+2k for travel and other expenses.
I know, so? It's not like I'm paying for it. :haw:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the Ouya thing is probably killing it, I know its why I didn't pledge when I would have otherwise.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can even argue that they're even worse, because they can't be skipped so you're just jumping up and down and throwing random crap everywhere waiting until the characters stop talking to you.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think the big problem is that the original Shantae was quite hard to find until they re-released it on 3DS a few weeks ago and the sequel was only on DSi for a while. I actually haven't played either because of that despite wanting to, I still pledged though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If Ice Pick does another Kickstarter I hope its for a Pathologic remake that's a lot less of a clunky chore to play with a better English translation. I'd back the hell out of that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd be all for an Anachronox sequel if Square doesn't utterly botch it. I still need to play the first Fear Effect, I've had it for months.

Megazver posted:

Oh by the way, in unrelated news, future Pathologic Kickstarter confirmed.
Hell yes, I'm totally going to back it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Fear Effect is like the definition of a game that has aged poorly. It has some really unique and interesting ideas but it also controls like balls and literally features The Macarana as an important puzzle clue.
Eh, I only paid like nine bucks for it so if I hate its no big loss. The setting does sound pretty rad though, triads and Chinese demons and all that. If they resurrect it maybe they can have a crossover with Sleeping Dogs.:swoon:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's going to make it, once the 48 hour mark hits the pledges will be rolling in again. That's how Kickstarters work.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They're better be a Dropsy mask in Hotline Miami 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, this game definitely sounds right up my alley. I'll be sure to get it when they release it because I didn't back it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 23, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm definitely going to back the Pathologic kickstarter as long as the gameplay is a lot less clunky and they actually get a quality English translation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The links just lead to a "Page Not Found" on their site for me.

Whoops, never mind. I didn't read because I am dumb

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 28, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Great Rumbler posted:

And Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller.
KRZ too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I would be all for an Obsidian take on Persona.