Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

NeonCowboy posted:

Thanks to all of you who have downloaded the game - for anyone still on the fence, just wanted to point towards the great writeup on Kotaku that the game got last night:

http://kotaku.com/5982325/the-biggest-challenge-in-this-game-is-preventing-your-character-from-committing-suicide

Appreciate all of you who've given it a shot. Thanks!
Just wanna say I decided to check this out after reading the Kotaku writeup, and man, it's great. Really good stuff. ~relly makes u think~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
In hilarious Kickstarter news, looks like Denis Dyack's Shadow of the Elements funding projects are (predictably?) blowing up in drama.

:ssh: I don't think embezzlement allegations have much to do with why people aren't funding your project, Denis. I think it has to do with the fact that you have only released terrible games for the past decade

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Well, I haven't seen anyone post about this, but it was just announced on their FB page that some of the guys who made The Neverhood (including Doug TenNapel) are going to be launching a Kickstarter for a new claymation game, Armikrog, later this month. (and Terry S Taylor will be doing the music for it, too)

I am so incredibly excited for this.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
It's... happening!

Doug TenNapel (creator of The Neverhood and Earthworm Jim) and other people from the Neverhood just started a Kickstarter for a new claymation point-and-click adventure game called Armikrog.

I really hope The Neverhood still has the cult following to fund something like this (they're asking for $900k) because that was one of my favorite games of my childhood. I'm throwing my money at it as fast as I can

waffle fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 28, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Francois Kofko posted:

The Neverhood is one of my favorite games of all time but I reaaaaally don't know how I feel about giving TenNapel money
What makes you say that? I've heard he was an rear end in a top hat or something but I've never actually heard why.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Yonic Symbolism posted:

He's extremely right wing homophobic and islamaphobic and has a blog full of that kind of stuff.
Might fund it anyway because the others working on the project probably shouldn't suffer just because doug is an rear end in a top hat.
Yeah, unfortunately there are way too many people who believe that poo poo. You're right, though, and also I gotta play this game though so I gotta fund this.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Yeah, I don't personally really have too much of an issue giving money to their KS. It's paying a whole bunch of people with varied opinions, just because the public face has terrible views on things unrelated to video gaming doesn't change too much, to me. Mostly it's a successor to The Neverhood and that sure is a hell of a thing.

On a completely unrelated note, I am really surprised how bad Kicktraq's Projections and Trends are at actually trying to predict anything with what's going to happen to a Kickstarter. I mean, they're not explicitly designed to predict, but there should be way more than enough data from plenty of Kickstarters to make some pretty good predictions now.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Infinitum posted:

Omni Kickstarter has launched

If you get in super quick you can get it for $250, but you have to assemble it yourself.

Looking at the "How it works" section, it looks like a nub on the shoe has to go into one of the grooves on the Omni? If I'm understanding that right, that means you can't just place your foot wherever--you have to make sure it's aligned with one of the grooves? That sounds kind of awful.

It looks like there are a lot of grooves, but all the same, foot placement is going to be tricky.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Well, Armikrog is going to come down to the wire, I think. They still need $200K with 3 days left. Throw your money at it*!

*Note: Doug TenNapel has said some lovely poo poo as has been pointed out in the thread before so don't fund if that's important to your decision

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
How many major video game Kickstarters have actually yielded a product at this point? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I guess Castle Story has gotten a beta or something out? (edit: No, not yet, though it does seem to be moving along pretty well)

waffle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 3, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Christian Knudsen posted:

No, I understand that perfectly. But as a player of the game, why would I care that an NPC is there because some random folder on my computer happened to have a txt file in it? Or that there's a chest because of a zip file? It's just a roundabout RNG. I mean, as far as I can tell, it's not made clear in the game (or even relevant) that it's based on a directory on your computer. The fun part with the other linked games that use stuff on your computer is that you actually see that stuff (or the game affects it directly as in Lose/Lose). It may be a fun exercise as a dev, but I just can't see how it affects the player experience? I mean, is the player supposed to go out of the game and rearrange his folder? Is this kind of meta-gaming part of the gameplay? Does the player even know which folder a given level is based on?
Yeah, I was pretty interested by this game at first but kept reading and never found what I was hoping for--it's a cool idea not taken to completion I think, as I couldn't really tell how the "folders and files" idea actually impacted my game outside of a fancy RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, this game is dead. I don't think I've ever seen a game actually survive a complete code rewrite. Especially when the justification is basically that a shiny new toy is coming out, in this case 2D tools in Unity.

They said they'd make a documentary. That may actually be the most interesting part of the whole thing... unless the person doing the documentary is as bad at budgeting as the developers are

edit: also this is the most hilariously amateurish logo I've seen in a while. Apply all the photoshop filters!

waffle fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 12, 2013