Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

it isn't unique or distinguishing at all and on top of that it's kind of ugly

I thought it was dumb they made it look "realistic" instead of trying to mimic the look of the original (I know it looked that way because of limitations of old computers but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I hope it's revenge for some stupid VN getting more than that masterpiece.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How does a VN cost 200k+ to being with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Great Rumbler posted:

They're asking $160k to translate and release 3 different games.

Oh word? I didn't actually read the kickstarter I just kinda thought wow they asked for way more than they deserve and then they got double that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

What else could it have been other than localization? They obviously didn't make the game.

You say that as if 200k for not even making the cheapest type of game to make is a reasonable assumption I should have made.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

For localization costs? I feel like this is a circular question loop.

No I understand that. It's that it already seemed absurd for actually developing those games so it'd be odd for me to assume it's for localization.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As always, game development is probably much more expensive than you're assuming it is.

The woman that did Cortana's voice was paid like 500 bucks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm sure the no names voicing a niche VN command much higher pay than someone voicing the second most important character in one of the biggest game franchises.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you're a member of the union it's six hundred for a four hour session.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just a shame the Drift Stage trailer didn't use the best song off their soundtrack

https://soundcloud.com/myroneofficial/exclusive-coup

Though besides that it was exactly what a kickstarter video should be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Maluco Marinero posted:

I just find the idea of trying to convince people that a popular thing is only popular to terrible people, or that the creator is a terrible person for flimsy reasons tiresome. The obvious examples are Phil Fish and Amanda Palmer, and honestly it gets tiresome being unable to carry on a conversation because people so desperately want to tell you how bad that person is.

Those were the worst two examples you could've chosen to try to make your point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We could use some cool Ender's Game games. Could make a cool ship RTS or battle school FPS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There have been too many souls inspired game kickstarters to count over the last few years, you could just pick a game at random and there's a decent chance you'll find what you're describing.

There have been zero souls inspired games but countless claiming to be inspired by them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Geight posted:

The kickstarter for STRAFE looks like it's gonna fall well short of their goal, which makes me sad because it looked like the first FPS """roguelike""" that I would be interested in. :smith:

Their ask was a bit high unfortunately. It is weird how all the best kickstarters I've seen (bar Hyper Light Drifter) never really explode like some others I've seen. STRAFE was one of the few they did the video thing right (should just be a trailer/commercial no talking about who you are or what inspired you or whatever).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The game actually looked pretty cool but then again I'm 1000 years old.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

A lot of games in the mid-90s actually looked way cooler than that.

Yeah but those were the best genre ever offered. I think a decade of no good FPS has poisoned my brain.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

e: also I just noticed how the money in this thread's title was formatted argh

Any country that uses commas for decimals is clownshoes and they deserve to accidentally kick in 90,000 dollars.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Squick is used pretty often by the BDSM community who I assure you is not all 12.

Sorry you don't like a word :cheeky:

It's mostly used by the tumblr and tv tropes crowd.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mutata posted:

Peter Molyneux is the M. Night Shamalan of games.

M. Night made two good movies though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol how does that guy think comparing the costs of adventure games back then to now defend somehow blowing half a million dollars on something that shoulda cost like 1/10 that or less will sit well with anyone. It's like blowing millions on an hour long 2D platformer and then saying well Sonic 2 cost millions and had a huge team of people!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Underhill posted:

The time factor means nothing to some, me included. There are masterful composers who write symphonies in a couple of days, and for others it takes years. I have enough to play so I'm not constantly checking up on games in production, and I don't think I'm the only one. Grim Fandango took 3 years and 3 mil bucks to make, i dare anyone to say those weren't years or money well spent.

Grim Fandango wouldn't take that much time nor money to make in 2015.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

Like, Brian Fargo is something of a carny and Wasteland 2 was well overrated but for as much as he hosed up Interplay he seems to have a much better grasp of wrangling small teams working on small slates of projects. Pillars of Eternity looks like it's going to deliver everything it promised (which is a ton of stuff) and as much as everyone adores Chris Avellone / Rope Kid, Obsidian seems to have escaped total ruin several times over the years due to Feargus Urquhart's ability to hustle and keep budgets tight. Developers need managers. Troika learned that the hard way and it was very much the Perfect Artist's Paradise that a lot of people dream about.

It's weird Double Fine gets the defenders despite a string of fuckups while I don't see such insane rabidness for Obsidian when they put out one of the best games of the decade and then got hosed because the metacritic score was criminally low and they missed a big bonus because it was one point too low.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think I'm just bummed Obsidian isn't helming the Fallout set on my home turf.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Obsidian has way more rabid defenders than double fine, what are you even talking about?

Obsidian hasn't hosed up like Double Fine has.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

dude. alpha protocol

Alpha Protocol is actually really interesting (though very flawed) and it's nowhere near akin to what Double Fine did with the kickstarter or with the star dwarf fortress game. I didn't mean "made games that weren't good" I meant straight hosed up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

There was no comparison, he's the one that brought up Obsidian in the first place. I think at some point even he forgot what he was arguing.

That was actually my entire point???/ The thing he said!

mechaet posted:

As one of the upper tier backers of this project, I can only say that it was a really good pitch at the right time. I sunk a chunk of change into this.

Source your quotes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just because you got millions doesn't make you not a stupid for backing bad things. I got a good amount of disposable income but I've only ever backed Barkley 2, Hyper Light Drifter, and Drift Stage and I think the latter two were at the most basic "get the game" tier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Pre-rendered trailers are loving commonplace in this industry. That doesn't make you Molyneux.

It wasn't a trailer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Underhill posted:

What is in you guys' opinion the ideal KS update frequency? Seems like it's a hard thing to balance between "gently caress, these daily things are annoying" and "I wonder if the dev team is still alive"...

A daily thing wouldn't even bug me because I've backed so few things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ReV VAdAUL posted:

In more "Kickstarter is a bad shop with no consumer rights where nothing is guaranteed" news: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/23/duelyst-free-to-play/

lol what a bunch of shitheads.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I liked Panic on Funkotron more. It's way more funky.

Fart of Presto posted:

the 60+ projects I have pledged to

Jesus christ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You people are sick.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How the gently caress do you maniacs find 100+ kickstarters to back. There have been max, like, 20 worthwhile kickstarters ever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

I have a double major of Japanese and Chinese in preparation for the inevitable invasion of Europe. Being able to nitpick wrong romanization of Kickstarter project names is an added bonus.

Those are two terrible languages why would you do that to yourself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The thing is the big 3D games aint worth 60 bucks either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol if you think they're going to do anything other than yearly saints row titles for the rest of their existence.

How about they make goddamn FreeSpace 3 already??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's true but on the other hand FreeSpace 2 was the masterpiece of the genre and also killed it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toejam and Earl 2 is hella good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The joke was in really poor taste (and it is transphobic whether you think people overreacted or not) but holy poo poo if you get "triggered" by a lovely joke in a video game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish there were honest to God inspired by Dark Souls games on kickstarter...too bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's true and insanely dumb and why there's libel tourism.