Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I feel really awful for his team because he just tanked them completely overnight, and they did nothing wrong.

Be careful who you work with or for, I guess.

It`s basically a two person team, and they are both giant assholes, so I wouldn`t worry too much.

Like, "pre-madonna" IS the rest of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Mimetic posted:

I thought the point of the post was "I don't want to support users that paid $1 for my game". To which the answer seems to be: don't sell it for $1?

Or just don't support the users, and deal with the consequences like an adult.
Really, the answer is always "deal with the consequences of your own choices like an adult, instead of like a child throwing a tantrum."

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

DolphinCop posted:

RPS could have tried to get some information about what went wrong with Godus' management and devlopment, but instead they opted for sneering and high fives. It's a bad interview.
We don't need an interview to tell us what went wrong, because we know what went wrong:
-PM does not know, and never has known, how expensive games are to make
-PM does not know, and has never known, how hard most of game development is
-PM has never had any qualms about exaggerating about anything, because he assumes (quite possibly correctly) that that's what brings the money in
-PM therefore claimed he could do things that weren't possible, with an amount of money so low that it wouldn't even cover development of a simple, non-risk-taking game of the genre, and just assumed everything would turn out somehow by magic.
When the game saving magic failed to arrive, he essentially cancelled the PC version and put all his money into the only version that stood to make money right away, the iOS one. And it has to be said, this decision was and is the correct call for his company.
The only reason the poo poo's hit the fan now is that until he announced his new project, he could still lie and say that he had the majority of his developers working on the PC version.

So yeah, we don't need an interview to establish what went wrong with Godus. Instead we got a much more interesting interview about why it went wrong: PM himself, and why he seems to believe and think what he does.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

evilmiera posted:

Was 5 not very good? I've only reached 3 so far.

5 tried to take the series in a new direction, and by the time they realized that it was too soon for anyone in the industry to try doing everything they planned, it was too late to re do the whole game. So, it is technically finished, and worth playing, but it is:
A) not as good as the other ones, and
B) full of design choices that make no sense until you realize they were originally trying to make what we'd now call an early, experimental mmorpg.
I still like it.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

DoctorTristan posted:

You and a lot of the gaming press, which is probably the reason why they've been given a fairly easy ride over he whole thing.

I mostly can't get upset at him because despite backing DFA and everything that's happened since, I don't really feel like I've been misled. One of the major reasons I backed in the first place was that at one point, in a video or a post, I forget which, Tim said something like that he had no idea if any of it would work or not, or if a game would get released or not, or if it would be good or not, but that the one thing he promised is that the documentary crew would be around to film the disaster.
So I decided that being able to watch a disaster in progress (which was the worst case scenario) would still be worth my backing money. So now it's turned out disaster-y, but I've seen the documentary videos in progress (which are pretty well done, BTW), so I still feel ok about it. Tim kept his promises to me at least.

I understand completely why others would be super upset at Doublefine though. Especially over Spacebase (which I thankfully didn't buy).

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

AbstractNapper posted:

If it is a good read, if the questions are smart, if the answers are informative, if I think that anything interesting was said or extracted during the interview, then I find it a good interview.

This has literally never happened except by accident in the gaming press. Because the gaming press is restricted to pr for the gaming industry. Partially because that's where all the money is, but also because that's all gaming companies AND consumers will permit. So I think you have crazy unrealistic expectations of what is possible for interviewers to accomplish.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

khwarezm posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Toxxupation here, I found the whole Broken Age thing frustrating since it looks like they ended up trying to cater to the demands of 'hardcore' adventure gamers and not having the guts to just trust in their own creative vision, the whole thing felt like a damp squib and I don't have much respect for it when it seemed they so easily folded to the criticisms of one particular group. Say what you will, Broken age isn't going down as one of the greats.

The problem is that the one particular critical group is the only real group that actually bought part 1. Mostly, they bought when it was kickstarted, but they were also the majority of the few buyers at retail, too. Like, think about the people that part 1 was written for: people who just play adventure games for the story, people who want beautiful art, people who don't want nonsensical puzzles that just waste time, those were the people that doublefine really needed to buy the game, because they needed to expand the market for the genre. So yeah, it makes sense to write part 1 to appeal to them. Except that when part 1 was released, those people did not buy the game. What doublefine found out was that those people either do not exist in large numbers, or that they cost so many marketing dollars to reach that they might as well not exist for the likes of doublefine, anyway. You can actually see this in the documentary. Their words say that the game sold fine, but if you look at their faces, you can see the actual sales numbers. So if you're doublefine, what do you do? The only thing they could hope for is that the market for "old school"/"stupid puzzle" adventure games is larger than the numbers you've been able to reach so far, and re-write part 2 to appeal to them. Because maybe there's a bunch more of them out there hiding and waiting for part 2 to have "real" puzzles? Instead doublefine finds out that those initial kickstarter backers are actually the majority of the audience willing to pay for a non-telltale adventure game. So yeah, they tried their best to make an adventure game that someone, anyone would actually be willing to pay $20+ for, and found out that just like in the late 90's/early 2000's, it can no longer be done.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Acne Rain posted:

I'm just sad that all this means not only that Psychonauts will never have a sequel, but that Yooka Laylee's means that people would've paid for it if it Doublefine was not bad at money.

Psychonauts 2 would cost 20+ million dollars. There are not 20 million dollars worth of people willing to actually pay for psychonauts 2.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

The scene I'm thinking of goes something like "The sales have met expectations :("

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm glad that it's the year 2015 and Derek Smart is still this looming specter posting in the comments sections of various gaming sites because that's the most exposure he could ever hope for.

As someone who's old enough to remember usenet and his presence there, it feels both Right and Appropriate for him to be still commenting like this in TYOOL 2015.