Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hooray, people registering just to promote their Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saoshyant posted:

Did someone mention Squad Wars yet? F2P Freespace-style MMO thingy, $250,000 goal, standing at $9,000 as of now from the creators of Jumpgate (whatever that is).

Terrible audio in the video, but at least no "hey, didn't you see there" or fake phone call.
Jumpgate Evolution is exactly what they're pitching here on Kickstarter and that game was in (still in?) development hell.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How soon until it's posted on IndieGogo?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quarex posted:

I think I found the answer to my question earlier about how far "slavish fan devotion for 1980s computer games" goes:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn

This actually looks amazing (I mean, insofar as what they want to do), but I am fairly certain that Rod Swigart's name does not carry as much weight as Brian Fargo's.
As neat as it looks, I really doubt they'll reach $900,000.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As far as I can tell, this game is still coming out regardless of funding.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's a really weird pitch video from the voice actors about halfway through.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think it'll probably make it. It makes me a little leery in the last day or two when the average pledge is 3-4x what it was for the previous 20+ days of the project. It seems like the inverse should happen, more people at the lower price point. $125 isn't an impulse buy/pledge.

Then again, Starlight Inception gained 1/3rd of its goal in the final day alone.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Mad. Mad about kickstarters.
In addition to what you've said, it also bugs me that the $500,000 isn't even what they fully need to make the game (they say the required/desired budget is a million) and that Kickstarter was just to prove how viable an idea it was to get the rest of their funding from other sources.

If they fail to raise the money, I wonder how the final product will shake out, despite promises to not 'compromise' depending on the total level of funding.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you missed out on the Kickstarter, they'll accepting $15 over Paypal for a copy of the game and access to the documentary/forums/whatever.

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quarex posted:

Methinks someone did not bother Googling "did someone already make a zombie Oregon Trail" before starting:

http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html (pretty great reimagining of the original in a retro style, incidentally!)
I've been playing this for the last hour and it's been great fun, if not a little too easy. Or I played too much Oregon Trail as a kid. I would have paid $5 if this was released as a commercial game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

By the way, what do people think aboutSkyjacker? It looks like it could be good, but it probably won't get funded.
This kind of game is like my dream space combat sim. It looks really neat and I hope it gets funded.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The goal and focus is all over the place, not to mention the video seems like a blatant troll in what media it includes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That kind of money will buy you a lot of GodWars servers.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I love that guy was trying to bring Pogs back in virtual form.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

quote:

We are going to hire additional developer(s) and artist(s) to help us with the last stage of mobile, and more importantly work on the PC/MAC version.
So they still need money to finish their first project. It seems kind of lovely to me to ask for another Kickstarter before your first one has even been released, even if the game looks fantastic like Star Command.

Also, $25 for a copy of the game? Yikes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The irresponsible part seems to be asking for more money when they haven't delivered on the original investment yet. Especially since they note that funds coming from this next wave of investments will go towards the completion of the previous project.

That sounds like poor economics on their part.

That just brings up the question of how the first product will turn out if this Kickstarter fails (it most likely won't). Will it push back the release date? Will it still be as polished? At least the language says 'to help the final stage of mobile development' so it doesn't sound like it's being held hostage.

Compared to other Kickstarter games, the cost of entry seems ridiculous for a port as opposed to something being created from scratch.

I really don't see why they could have waited until the game officially launched to unveil plans to expand. That just makes me believe that development is already in trouble if they need a cash infusion right before the game's actual soft release (August).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Reminder, it takes a million dollars just to remove the ads from the content (the comics themselves). Who in the world cares if the blog posts are ad free. You don't even have to see it if you just go to the newest comic's weblink.

I'd love to see where the money is going exactly, but with Crowdfunding/Donations, you don't get to have that luxury when you bankroll an entire operation. All they have to do in return* is provide you with no ads.

*Not legally obligated.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Occupation posted:

It's really ridiculous when you think about it, and the tiers could've included digital rewards that consist of all of their products (pdfs of their books, downloads of patv, codes for the paa games, etc), which would've cost them literally nothing to provide and would have at the very least made the ks more useful.
It's funny when you consider the original MSRP of the printed books was something like $13, which you can buy second hand for as low as the price of shipping. A $25 donation nets you a digital copy and a paper certificate. Near double of the original asking price of a book that had justifiable printing costs.

The $100 tier is just even more laughable. Book 2 also MSRP at the same price with Book 1, only now you're paying 4x the original cost of buying hard copies of said items.

They virtually don't have to provide much of anything. What you're paying for when you donate is just to pay them directly. I don't know how this doesn't fall under Kickstarter's policy of 'funding my life.'

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

XboxPants posted:

Is it really that unlikely that it would cost a million dollars to run their site for a year? This is not a rhetorical question, I actually don't know that much about hosting costs. Does that sound about right?
It isn't just hosting costs. It's paying salaries/benefits/office space for 13~ employees.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

buttopticor posted:

This came up in the Ouya thread, but not everyone reads that. There's apparently a kickstarter for an iDevice dock with controllers and TV-out called "gamedock".
It looks really neat, but that Mario Kart rip-off game looks like absolute garbage.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Can't believe this is a thing now.

quote:

Will you support Ouya?

We already contacted the guys doing Ouya and as we will be able to deploy on Android, we want to also support Ouya. However many things haven't been clarified yet, so we cannot guarantee anyhting, not knowing when their plans will be finalized.
Every game will be bogged with people asking for support.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rebel Blob posted:

Moon Intern - 2D sidescrolling RPG thing.
This is seriously my most anticipated Kickstarter game if it comes out as advertised, and I've backed Kinetic Void and Shadowrun.

I hope it gets enough funding.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's still the DS port.

I imagine they mean with new 2D sprite work.

Or the press release is just clunkily worded.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, the wording of that release/update seems to have been distorted the more that the news came out.

"This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This guy has a lot of "ideas" about games. But did you hear about his other game, 100 Rogues? 100 Rogues.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I loved Scott Pilgrim and Wizorb. These guys so far have a good track record in my eyes. I hope they get funded.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not sure I see what the problem is, in the end. It just means they have to put more of their own money on the line.
If it's done in good faith, sure.

If a project fails to deliver for whatever reason and people embezzled their money in it just to get the profits, that's a significant problem.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They were going to make the comics regardless if the Kickstarter failed or succeeded.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It looks cool and all, but non-canon though. That's a dealbreaker. My Alien Swarm canon is sacred.

Also, they have ridiculous physical rewards, which I think the bulk of the money would go towards.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It looks neat and well prepared but I question the model you're going for.

Premium access is listed as the reward for pledging but nowhere in the write up are people told what a premium account gets them, just vague notions of 'premium content.' I think that those types of accounts probably speak more to the MMO aspirations you have for the product in the future rather than the single player APRG which it is (and will be released as) if funded.

Also it isn't really clear if this amount of funding is to finish the proper game for Ios/Android/PC or for both versions - a single player game and later MMO. If that's the case, I scratch my head if you'll be able to build an MMO on that amount of pledges.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 12, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just slap the Robotech license on it and we're good to go.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ouya update, they have a PCB now.

Kickstarter Blog, October 31st posted:

LET’S TALK HARDWARE:

We’re still going full-steam ahead. We’ve been refining OUYA’s hardware design (cosmetics, mechanicals, electricals, thermals etc.). We’ve spent most of this time in the design phase, as getting it right up front saves us a lot of redesign and iteration later. We’ve had some of the best engineers and designers take a look at every design element and fine tune it. Our CAD models and SLAs (plastic prototypes that provide us with a physical look and feel of the product) are finished, and we moved out of the design phase and into development a couple of weeks ago.

Last week was a huge milestone for us -- we received our first development run of PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) for the console. This is the heart (and we believe the soul) of the OUYA experience. It’s pretty amazing how our engineers have packed in Quad-Core awesomeness into such an unbelievably small package (any guesses on how small the PCB actually is?). All the hard work in refining the design has paid off in spades -- the first boards came to life without any hitches, and we’re now fine tuning software and hardware performance for graphics, wireless, and user experience! W00t.

We are now in what’s referred to in the industry as the EVT (Engineering Verification Testing) phase.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/339520

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shalinor posted:

I really want to like Gametron 1000, but for almost $150k? That's kind of absurd. I'd rather 6 or so well-designed games for that, instead of one giant mess of assets and randomization.
Wanna play as that milk carton.

It looks neat, but I'm curious how the gameplay will feel from game to game. You're right if the gameplay feels blah, or substandard and its only selling point is randomization.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shalinor posted:

Luna went up today - it's a project from another Colorado indie, that I've been watching over the last year or so.

The video is obnoxiously paced, but fast forward to the gameplay. It isn't quite there yet, but I keep feeling like he's right on the edge of something really cool. I also really dig the art used in gameplay, though the style is iffy when he blows it up for cutscenes.
Yikes, that video was atrocious. All I wanted was to see maybe like 10 seconds of gameplay without interruptions or awkwardly placed transitions. Aside from that, it looks pretty neat. I question the episodic design nature of the game. I wouldn't even have talked about it until this game has been funded and put out the door since I feel like they'll probably need to crowd fund again to create sequels with such a low budget of $8,000. Especially since you get access to episode 2 and 3 with a donation of $25.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Reminder that Star Command had 2 Kickstarters and still isn't out yet.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not a game exactly, but a 2D skeletal animation developmental tool:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esotericsoftware/spine

Looks they have a demo available already, but what to our fellow game-makers think of it? I'm not a developer, so I'm not sure if this would even be useful.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'd play an EDF type game where you have to destroy giant Audrey II type plants before they take over the world.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Axegrinder posted:

This looks interesting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1320581435/moonbot-studios-next-game-the-golem

History and myth collide. I doubt they'll reach their target, though.
I feel really sorry for any developer that helped contribute to the Sony Wonderbook.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Behold.. the Game Tank, a completely immersive video gaming environment:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1882911389/game-tank

It might be the worst pitch video I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

LumberingTroll posted:

For people that followed the Kinetic Void Kickstarter, our steam store, coming soon page and community hub is up now!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227160/
I'm very excited for this.