Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Dragonrah posted:

DoubleBear Productions is an indie RPG developer founded by Brian Mitsoda (formerly of Black Isle, Troika, and Obsidian - writer/designer for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines) and Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda (Obsidian, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir).

-A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character’s abilities.

-Dozens of characters with branching, reactive dialogue, and randomized events that unfold over months of in-game time – player decisions and the death of loved ones can change relationships

Damnit thread...in for another kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I had originally passed on the LA Gamespace kickstarter, but thanks to the discussion in this thread I took another look and decided to back. I just wanted to say that I appreciate the open discussion from both sides.

Locus posted:

I don't live in California, I'm sure I wouldn't want to be friends with some of the people who'll be at that game space, and I bet I'll only like a third of the games in that bundle at best, but it's still a worthwhile concept.

I reached the same conclusion, even being in the EU.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Shalinor posted:

That is the huge take-away: Any of you running Kickstarters, plan your drive's beginning and end to fall at press-friendly, backer-friendly times. If you screw that up, you're sunk.

I would also say all this feedback shows the guy does not have project management skills.---being an idea guy and/or developer isn't the only necessary skillset required to get a game thru Kickstarter and deliver accordingly. I think we've seen too many lately that are "designer, writer, artist,developer" job functions mentioned (and even many omitting anyone actually doing any developing entirely) and it's just assumed other skillsets are lesser/unnecessary to be successful.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Shalinor posted:

When you get a solid wall of posts that nobody understands what the game is, the correct answer is not to say "well if you'd just read the indiegogo page, you'll see..."

It means there is something seriously off with how you are presenting the game. Between that, and your blinded stance on the nature of flexible funding, it doesn't present you or your funding drive in the best of lights. You're coming across like one of those egotistical idea men who must be always right, that assumes anyone who disagrees with them just didn't read/understand the material, and that's not a good way to appear.

My immediate thought was the scene from Brain Candy about the pill that gives worms to ex-girlfriends---so definitely a shared impression of him. Good to see he's trying to clarify further but it's still confusing...

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Plus I read in the comments if they hit the next stretch goal, the one that allows hireable dedicated servers, all backers get exclusive turquoise leg paint for one of their Gears!

I genuinely read that as 'allows hirable dedicated servants'.

Related, have there really been that many "kickstarter fatigue/death/slowdown" articles post failed KS---to the point it's a trend?

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

XboxPants posted:

Done and done. This does violate Kickstarter's rules. Each Kickstarter campaign is meant to have a specific project goal that they can guarantee if they reach their funding goal. To put it simply: "X" won't happen unless we get funded. This project doesn't have that. Which means that there is no project. The way he's presented it, this isn't a Kickstarter for Energy Hook, it's a "fund my life" project. Those kind of campaigns are strictly prohibited.

I agree with this completely and have done the same.
Also Kickstarter should make a minimum 50-100USD funding for new projects if anything to cover expenses incurred.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

OatmealRaisin posted:

Backed for :10bux: because this looks like it'll be hilarious.

Yeah I tossed in 5er for this and the hotdog stand in the awful KS thread for pretty much the same humour premise.

I did want to thank you guys for continuing to post about interesting projects, genuine or joke.
Things like Hot Tin Roof or NOWHERE I probably wouldn't have discovered on my own so I appreciate all the input regarding.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
^Yeah I am really pleased it's on the staff picks and already near 50% funded.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I think voting for which is the best cat for Hot Tin Roof's latest update is probably one of the more interesting/unique backer updates I have had to date.Also nice to see further call-out to more goon projects in that update as well.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah the Consortium thing is weird, especially with a few backers asking about the special edition of the game tier that hasn't had any release information. I get that release day can be nuts, but maybe smaller dev groups need to hire part time community managers (is there such a thing as a shared community manager that looks after multiple smaller groups/games/projects?) that could wrangle answering people on what's going in, or better yet proactively post updates to avoid some of the usual release backer negativity that keeps happening.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Wow, thanks to you all for informing about Unsung Story, that is definitely something I am keen on!

I won't get into details over today's Kickstarter games themselves but regarding

The release of Banner Saga:
I put in a good 4 hours today (it is hard to put down). From the perspective of a backer--do I feel it delivers what was promised and funded to deliver? Yes. Would I back further Stoic' Banner Saga via Kickstarter based on this experience? Yes. Am I satisfied with the release process, communication, and feedback from Stoic for this? Yes.

The beta of Broken Age 1: Haven't delved in very far but the typical janky bugs one expects on day 1 of a beta haven't presented themselves whatsoever. I even so far stated aloud "this is a beta?". Also is that the same VA as Nier for her dad because I swear it is familiar...don't want to ruin anything for anyone so tagging this

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Anyone a Tex Murphy beta backer and has input? Their update a week or so ago mentioned beta keys going out to those level backers (I only backed release level). I also noted Steam has launch page up for an April release. I was curious if anyone had a hand at the beta and had some thoughts on it?

*edit: also Bear Simulator just showed up in Kickstarter's newsletter!

funakupo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 28, 2014

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Megazver posted:

So, the people who made the fantastic open world action adventure Outcast back in 1999 are now crowdfunding a HD remake:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd?ref=search

They don't seem to have any in-game footage yet which is normally a sign to be cautious but y'know what? gently caress it. We already know the design is amazing and I won't be able to live with myself if this fails. I'm giving them my money-bucks.

PS Unnnnngggggh I am so happy about this.

Unnnnngngnggnggghhhhh.

Thank you for posting this, I loved this game to death. Also I am impressed they managed to navigate the Atari rights maze to regain.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Shalinor posted:

See, I would have pledged for THAT game. I demand a do-over.

Wow, no kidding. Someone please make this game.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Slate Action posted:

They're asking for $100,000, why couldn't they have paid someone $100 or so to make sure the whole pitch wasn't in oddly stunted English?

"Loosing hope (sic)? I'll be gone before it happens"

Professional translation services cost insanely much and even then start out with basic machine translations that make errors in context.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Megazver posted:

One of the backers of Jenny LeClue told them he'd back it for an additional $1000 if they manage to reach 30K by the end of Tuesday, so they opened up a $10 get-the-game tier until then. (It's $15 otherwise.) The game looks rrrrrrrrrreally good, you guys should back, yo.

That is an attractive price point for someone willing to chance it. Seems a good idea to expand the early bird tier so thanks for posting about it. Backing this!
It mentions Steam key if Greenlit but I must have missed where it is on Greenlight already (so I could vote), anyone have a link?

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Gravy Jones posted:

C64 art book delivered. I am very happy with it even though it makes me feel old: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/commodore-64-a-visual-commpendium-by-bitmap-books

The guy is going to do an Amiga book next.

Well you share company based on the thread responses, so don't feel too old.
That book project turned out really neat and sorry I missed his Kickstarter. My husband is sitting here telling me to preorder it asap, so thanks for posting about it. When the Amiga KS launches, someone kindly please post it here so we don't miss that one too?

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
beta keys for Massive Chalice via Humble are going out.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SupSuper posted:

It was so successful in that it just reached its goal. :v: I imagine Tallarico is just really proud of it much like he is about VGL as a whole (and given how many Kickstarters fail now, a success is always nice). I really doubt he's swimming in money given VGL itself is kind of an expensive niche and all the ticket money they get has to be funneled back into VGL, so all these side albums need Kickstarters just to pay for their costs.

FWIW I was a backer for VGL3 and I can vouch that the album is really good, and if you're a video game music afficionado the higher tiers are really worth it. :)

Not to mention the cost of taking a full orchestra on the road for the tour is $$, so I agree that their ticket sales for the concerts are just barely covering their expenses (and maybe still not even). I am seeing them in the Palais des Congrès in Paris on the 5th; that place by itself must be insanely costly to book.

While I am here, I am sad that No Pineapple Left Behind didn't meet its funding goal. I hope they rally back for another attempt with a demo.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
For those that didn't hop on Commodore Amiga Book KS, the same preorder offer is up on funstock. I went thru them to get the first KS-backed book, Commodore 64, and had no issues with their service. They have standard and collector's editions it looks like available.

http://www.funstock.co.uk/commodore-amiga-a-visual-commpendium-book

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Chupadupa posted:

The game I've been working on went up on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/schellgames/orion-trail

Very cool and definitely backing.

epitasis posted:

I'm just happy to have my perfect record with backed games eventually delivering remain untarnished.

I was doing pretty well with backed games being delivered. Interestingly I have had more dropped or dissappeared projects with documentaries that I backed than anything else.
But unfortunately one game I backed does seem dead and the creator has gone silent: Mansion Lord. Some of the more investigating backers mentioned the domain for Golgom no longer is owned, addresses for stuff are not existant etcetc. THis is a real shame; I really loved the concept.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22285033/mansion-lord-a-murder-mystery-rpg-business-sim

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
For those that backed The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 the latest update states the game is releasing tomorrow to GOG & Steam.

Unrelated but Exogenesis ~Perils of Rebirth~ also updated saying they switched studios for multiple reasons, so likely their schedule is pushed out.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
A Kickstarter that a few of us pitched towards though the project did not succeed came out with a very positive update today:

quote:

No Pineapple Left Behind RETURNS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twimJX7O7H4

Hey everyone. Big news.
Remember that time when we launched a Kickstarter for No Pineapple Left Behind and it failed because we didn’t make enough Ottoman Empire jokes?
Well, then. Turns out:
We’ve been working on NPLB non-stop since the Kickstarter ended.
We have been funded by a publisher–Mastertronic.
We will have an open alpha ready for you in a few months.
We have made a TON of changes to the game. First off, we replaced ALL of the artwork.
We also added CHILDREN to the game. CHILDREN have a zillion different traits and complex social networks–they are total pains in the rear end to deal with.
Other new features:
Story Mode. Each school district in the city of New Bellona has a unique problem–if you solve its problem, you take over the school.
Schoolbuses that travel through hyperspace gates.
Parents. Parents can heckle you with demands. You can do what they want (difficult) or ignore them (expensive).
Supplies. These work with our magic spell system similarly to how gem stones work in ARPGs: add supply such as an Abacus (cheap) or a Calculator (expensive) to a math spell to enhance it. But, they are expensive.
Lasers. Teachers can zap children with lasers like “De-friender Bolt” (cheap) or “Anti-Bully Beam” (expensive) in order to directly interact with them.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
just got a note that point-and-click adventure Epanalepsis releases tomorrow

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
While I sit here downloading my Kung Fury just-released short :rock:, I got a note that Jenny LeClue has a playable demo out

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I absolutely adored Contrast but am not really interested in We Happy Few either for the same reasons already mentioned by others. It looks so good; it's a real shame. However, thanks goons for pointing out Sethian! It sounds very very neat and, even if I am terrible at the puzzles, 5 bucks is a low risk.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So the guy who did the Commodore Amiga and Commodore 64 compendiums has another going for the ZX Spectrum, ending very soon for those who caught the first two.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Consortium's next chapter is going to Kickstarter January 18th, and there's a video already up with some tidbits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWTWJYXZvq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
speaking of Fig, just got a backstage note for Good Life which is from Swery's new studio. Live campaign should launch soon.