Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

waderockett posted:

Speaking of PAX: want to go this year, but don't have a badge? We have one slot open for a GM to run 13th Age demos, and that GM will get a badge. Free.

If you're willing and able to run 13th Age in the Games On Demand room on Saturday, September 1st from 10 AM to 5 PM, please email me at wade@fireopalmedia.com by Friday, August 24th to let me know.

You’ll get a PAX Prime badge, a daily GM huddle with Rob Heinsoo, a 13th Age escalation die, and you will be treated like a conquering hero by those of us at the show. You will also be one of the first to run a new 13th Age adventure written by Rob especially for PAX.

Feel free to pass this notice along to anyone who might be interested. (EDIT: We're really hoping for a playtester or pre-order customer to take us up on this. We have a competent-seeming stranger who is interested, and will go with him if we don't hear from someone "in the family.")

As someone who has run games at GenCon for companies in the past - this is a really wonderful promotion on their part. Normally for a badge+swag you need to work 16+ hours.

drat flights are too expensive on short notice or I'd be all over this. Hope someone closer jumps all over this for you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Gomi posted:

ASH LAW is a solid gentleman and you'd have been hard pressed to find a better recipient.

He's been an awesome resource on G+, so yeah I'd say he'd be a good choice.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Before I go and work on this myself, has anyone come up with a good player reference sheet to use at the table? Since I'm the only one with the PDF so far, it'd be nice to have something I can hand out for quick reference on combat and such...

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Gah I remember seeing that now. I hide my head in internet shame.

Thanks, AF.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Some example art is up on the Kickstarter page.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireopalmedia/13th-age-expansion-book-13-true-ways-0/posts/301881

The art and the blue reminds me of 2E for some reason. :) But it's still very nice lookin!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

TG-Chrono posted:

I would be so down for an Awful Dungeon. I'd have a spare $20 to throw in.

I'd toss in $20 to help with an Awful dungeon.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Wade, I liked hearing about your game with Rob - http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=9061

Any chance we can get Rob to run a game in a Google+ Hangout? Run it as a Hangout on the Air and save it to YouTube and if it goes well it'd be a killer advertising boon.

(And dibs on a slot at that game. :))

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
animaCartographer - $50
Kenderama - $30
TG-Chrono - $20
Red_Mage - $10
ack - $50

Current total: $290 / $400 needed.

Bump me to $30, and if you need someone to chaperone this, I can take it for you if you want, or at least assist since it's a boring day at work. :)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Current total: $300 / $400 needed.

Goons are amazing. Keep the love going!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Current total: $375 / $400 needed.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also I would suggest each contributor get to contribute one idea, with priority going to the higher bidders.

What I would think we could do is set up a Google doc where everyone can contribute. Then once we have enough ideas we cut based on bid level.

Example: If I wanted Sparkly Vampires and ack wanted an Old Man talking to an Empty Chair but we only have room for one NPC - I'd have to have my idea redacted. (Nevermind that it sucks, I didn't bid enough :))

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 14, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Current total: $375 / $400 needed.

Mustache Ride posted:

I was going to put $75 in to this, but if its already so well funded I'll just do $50 and let others join too.

I'm not sure how we should split the Dungeon up, but again it is only a Dungeon pitch, so I doubt we'd get that much detail in to it, but what do I know, right?

It'll depend on how they spec it out for the Kickstarter.

Someone wanna kick in the last $25 and we can start working on how to fund this puppy? :)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

fosborb posted:

I can do the last $25.

And I'd even be willing to not pitch a single idea... if I can veto stairs, meat shoes, or any other stupid loving internet or SA in joke.

quote:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
fosborb - $25
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Simon Rogers posted:

I'll throw $100 into your Awful Dungeon reward pot if you raise the other $400.

Current total: $400 / $400 needed.

There's a winner!

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

quote:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
fosborb - $25
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Overemotional Robot - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Simon Rogers posted:

I'll throw $100 into your Awful Dungeon reward pot if you raise the other $400.

Current total: $415 / $400 needed.

Anyone else want to ease Simon's donational pain? :)

Winson_Paine posted:

Check first before doing this sort of thing, note SA assumes no responsibility for any of that money and if whoever you send your cash to uses it to buy weed thou shalt not report it.

Maybe we could get Simon or Wade to be the recipient of our fundage in case anyone's worried about a slash and grab.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I will gladly help organize if folks want as well - but I'd rather not be responsible for the cash anyways. ;-)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Winson_Paine posted:

Do it how you like, I am saying that SA as an organization does not endorse this so you are ON YOUR OWN. I am sure on the personal level all y'all are fine, upstanding goons.

Fair enough. I wouldn't imagine being stupid enough to think that SA guaranteed anything like this. :) But it had to be said, so I take no offense. :)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, is Simon allowed to back his own Kickstarter like this?

I hate to rain on the parade, but I also don't want anyone to get in trouble.

We'll have to see what he and/or Wade say.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Also money sent.

I think we need an orc with pie.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Necromancer unlocked!

On track for $42k next!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Illvillainy posted:

Unfornately, I think that the Crusader's Battle Barge is too similar an idea. I basically read it to be a Space Hulk but with demons instead of genestealers.

How about a flying realm that at one time housed one of the greatest circuses and carnivals of the Dragon Empire, but after being wiped out by the Wizard King's turning of the Iron Sea.

Now it floats above the land, and the ghostly drowned circus and carnival turns on - the damned folk there locked in a macabre dance of the dead as they continually relive their last days.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
We got a shout out on the Kickstarter overnight!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireopalmedia/13th-age-expansion-book-13-true-ways-0/posts/309932

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

some loving LIAR posted:

And their moptops and Scouse accents drive the girls wild.

I both hate and love that you beat me to this. :)

We're almost at 47k now. I need to win the lottery so I can smack down $10k and go play with Rob and Jonathan

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dammit, why are you guys all on the other side of the country? :argh:

Agreed. Makes me wish I had moved to Portland from Michigan last year when I had the chance.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I've spent the past few days (with assists from ASH LAW and a few other G+ folks) and ironed out most of the kinks in my next-gen 13th Age Character sheet. While the default one is pretty, I found that personally it didn't give me enough room to write poo poo down, so I took matters into my own hands. :)

I went for functionality over prettification and mostly made for B&W printing. (Though the 13th Age logo I had was in color - I liked it anyways :))

Preview of page 1/2:

Download the fillable PDF here: https://www.box.com/13thagecharsheet

Feel free to toss feedback my way here or in PM.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Gau posted:

We're writing it under the 13th Age OGL, with a keen eye toward preserving the feel of the system that is in place.

Speaking of, TURBODRACULA THE KICKSTARTER is live and kicking, right now!

You have my $30, good sir.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

RSIxidor posted:

Where do you put relationship dice?

Hah! That's what I get for being content with the layout! :) (and so much for peer reviews!) None of us noticed that omission!

I'll work up a revision soon.

Edit: Urgh. This is going to take some rework. For now I think I'll add it with Backgrounds.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 27, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Quick question about the sorcerer. Are the spells just like weapon damage, where you get 1D8 at first level than 2D8 second-level, etc.? I know weapon damage are like that but what about spell damage?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
If it helps, they don't email you the PDF. You can find a link to it on your order page, I believe.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Has anyone played with the idea of doing blood magic in their game?

One of my players in the game I'm starting tonight is playing an emo-depressed cleric who is a cutter - he loves to harm himself, so I was thinking he could worship a goddess who is into that sort of thing, and I created a new domain called "Pain".

Domain: Pain
Once per battle as a quick action, you take an edged weapon to your own flesh doing normal weapon damage per level. Apply the value of damage taken to your next spell's damage/healing value as a bonus.

Adventurer Feat: Take half damage, but apply full damage taken to the next spell's damage/healing value.
Champion Feat: Take half damage, but apply double damage taken as a bonus to your next spell's damage/healing value.
Epic Feat: This ability recharges after use on a 15+.

Invocation of Pain: This battle, all critical hits deal a bleed effect equal to the cleric's level + escalation die value in ongoing damage. (Normal save negates.)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 4, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Red_Mage posted:

So I am going to double up and put this here and in the crowdfunding thread.

ASH LAW who's name you may recognize from various 13A events has launched a kickstarter for his big book of magic items. It is both 13A and Pathfinder (:psyduck:) compatible from the get go, so here's wishing him the best.

I have claimed one of the $75-tier "make your own item" slots.

I'm such a sucker for 13th Age Kickstarters :D

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

RSIxidor posted:

It's so tempting .... I must resist ... They'll be full before my resistance breaks, right?

Or you will hate yourself forever for bypassing such an awesome idea.

Your choice, really. :smug:

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

M.c.P posted:

Rules question:
The fighter talent skilled intercept, does it apply to an enemy you are currently engaged with? That is to say, if you're engaging a kobold , and it pops off to attack the wizard, do you still get to stop if?

I mean, this would make a fighter literally inescapable, but I wonder if that's the point.

Well if he pops free you aren't engaged with him anymore, so it stands to reason that it should work.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

LowellDND posted:

So far I've heard about 4 products -
13a, 13 true ways, nightfall, and mikan's last stand. Are there any others in the queue? I uh... gotta catchem all.

The Reliquary.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857811795/the-reliquary

Magic items and such. They just announced Ed Greenwood is going to be doing one of the items, too.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
New version of the Escalation Edition PDFs are out for all who pre-ordered the core book.

Wizard spells, yay!

Edit: Wow, I love the depth they put into the One Unique Thing examples. Really nice. I'd love to see Backgrounds get fleshed out like that with examples and twists.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 16, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Jackard posted:

So for people that have been following this, did 13th manage to fix the above issues?

Having run a few games now, I can comment on lengthy combats at least. In my last game, we had about 2.5 hours of playtime. We had a short introductory session of RP, followed by a combat. More RP, and then a party split with one combat and some RP. Party regrouped, RP'ed and jumped down a hole to explore a cavern. Two more combats and finally some more RP to end the night.

Elapsed time was 2.5 hours. Each combat took about between 5-15 minutes, mainly due to the PC sorcerer being one of those perennial types who has to re-read their spell list every round when it becomes their turn.

Feats appear to be nicely balanced - there are a few (too few, imho, but that may be by design and I'll see that at higher levels of play) general feats, but most boost your PC's maneuvers/tricks/etc in a meaningful way. None seem to be mandatory in the least.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Examining magic items. I love how ASH LAW writes up the scope of how items need to be attuned. (He posts these to his G+ and can be seen when Reliquary comes out of Kickstarter!) Simon/Wade/etc, do you know if there's going to be any more revisions to the magic item section to cover attunement? It gets a very short mention in the book, but I really think some examples would do wonders for that chapter.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

lessthanpleased posted:

Simon or Wade,

Will pre-orderers get updated Wizard/Sorcerer stats before release, perhaps as a word document or something? Currently, the Sorcerer has one spell for 7th level and no spells for 9th level, while the Wizard's notes indicate that the whole thing is going to be heavily revised.

Given that I've got a player who's a sorceress and I play a Wizard in a different campaign, I'd love to know Pelgrane's plan of action!

The latest escalation edition has the entire wizard spell list almost done (6 pages of spells!). I think there are one or two notes or left outs but it looks good.

Sorcerer still only has the 1 seventh level.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Simon Rogers posted:

The Word layout has no resemblance to the final layout. There are lots of monster tiles and illos, but this is designed to be a clean layout, so there will be some white space.

I'll miss the acres and acres of highlighted text. :-)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

En Fuego posted:

Goddamnit, Wade. I want to game with you. -_-;

Same. Pisses me off that I didn't move out west two years ago with a friend of mine. :)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

cbirdsong posted:

About how long does the adventure in the back of the PDF take? Can you get a decent amount done in a single 3-4 hour session?

I started running this last night, and got about halfway through in two hours. I believe at a good clip you should be able to finish the whole thing in four hours

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

cbirdsong posted:

Excellent. Is there a solid set of pre-gen characters floating around somewhere?

Not for that adventure. If you need some level 2 characters, here is a group of PC's I made for a convention. (And before anyone mentions it - I stole lots of great ideas from everywhere when I made these. :) )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

waderockett posted:

Feel free to use the 1st-level characters from my own campaign: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/blackmarch/characters

They just got an incremental advance so they're not completely baseline 1st-level, but they're close enough.

Now that the rules are finalized with v6, I'll see if we can get some official pre-gens worked up.

Wade, let me know if you want an assistant on that. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

• Locked thread