Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

cool new Metroid game posted:

cleve was a coder in a cancelled wiz game. the whole story of that is pretty amusing.

AFAIK it was an unrelated game. It would have had the Wizardry name on it if the finished game was good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

What are examples of classic RPGs with good combat?

Both the Wizardry series and the Gold Box games have great tactical combat. Like spells for status effects in those games actually work!

Genpei Turtle already said this but the Might and Magic series, while good games on their own, focuses mainly on exploration. You would be bored if you are looking for "good" combat because the combat part is really simple.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

precision posted:

Are there good phone emulators for, say, the Xeen games?

The free version of Magic DosBox (on android) is really good.

As for ScummVM, I think only the experimental builds support Xeen so its probably buggy too.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Grid Cartographer, is there a way to either disable the mouse window lock, or change the shortcut key needed to unlock the mouse? By default it's Ctrl+F10 and that's kinda tedious. I can bind it as a macro in my Logitech software, but if there is a way to just disable it so when I move the mouse out of the window it does it automatically. It's not a huge deal, but a bit annoying.

How about trying playing keyboard only and using the mouse only for mapping? You can set the game to keyboard only in the options AFAIK. You can even use a controller instead of the keyboard with dosbox.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

Also, I played and loved Wizardry 8 when it came out. I picked up Wizardry 6 and 7 a couple years ago from GOG, but bounced off of it. Is there a good Youtube video for learning how to play?

I'm not sure of any videos but the manuals and clue books are pretty informative about starting off if you haven't read them already.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 24, 2019

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

You can still play the original Newcomer but it is not really good. It plays more like B.A.T. , an adventure game with lite rpg elements.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"Max Wilco" posted:

My thought was to try going through 4-7. With 4 and 7, I thought the best option would be to use the xu4 and Exult source ports to make things easier.

Based on what I read umpteen pages back, though, it sounds like Ultima 7 is a chore because of the combat. I originally meant to drop in and ask if Ultima 8 was worth playing since, it and a bunch of other games are on sale on GOG right now.

If you want my 2 cents, unless you're the CRPG Addict, Ultimas 4-6 aged badly and will definitely be a chore to play. You will get burned out. Start with 7 instead and if you like it, go back and play the older ones.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I really really want to play Wizardry 8, but I have a case of broke-brain where I can't go into a game that is essentially a sequel without playing the prior games. I've a game started in Wiz6 that I'd intended to carry all the way through, but it's just so drat taxing to play that. And I can't just start Wiz7 without beating 6 first.

Does anyone else have this ailment? Is there treatment? How will I tell my loved one?

Here is the treatment: Just play what you want to play. I'm sure Wiz8 stands on its own without the need to play the others. Like, do you really want to slog through 80+hours of games you don't like to play Wiz8?

I had the same problem too. With the limited time I have for gaming nowadays, I just drop any game that doesn't click with me and move on. And I am more happy for it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I tried to play Syndicate awhile ago and it did not age well. The missions get repetitive fast and the gameplay was kinda simple. Cool atmosphere though.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

For MM3, my party was made up of a knight, paladin, barbarian, robber, cleric, and a sorcerer. Druid and rangers are kinda bad so I never bothered with them. You won't need their walk-on-water spell until later in the gane anyway, and you can always hire the cheap druid in the first town if you really need it.

MM3 is a pretty easly RPG in that it's hard to make an awful party as the game throws you stat buffing fountains everywhere, and other places to rise your party's stats, plus hirelings to fill in any gaps in your party.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I never played Baldur's Gate but I think RTwP gives the player too much control over battles in other games. Plus the additional micromanagement that comes with it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Dosbox .73 is ancient so you should use an updated version.

IIRC MM3 doesn't support general midi, only adlib or roland mt-32 / lapc-i. You need either Dosbox ECE or MUNT to emulate the later.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

The magic buffs also go away after resting too.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I think World of Xeen used the Roland LAPC-I for sound and music. It's basically a MT-32 with sound effects. It probably doesn't work well with general midi.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

thark posted:

I also feel like if trash takes too long to blow through in a turn-based game, it's a sign either the interface is too clumsy or animations too long. (The latter being a very common issue these days.)

It's also a sign of bad game design if the game has to pad-out its length with frequent trash fights, regardless if it's turn-based or RTwP.

A much older game but I think Might and Magic 2 was one of the worst RPGs for this. The random encounters scale to your party's level so a higher level (mid-teens) party could end up fighting 200+ weak enemies. Even while holding down the auto-fight button, a battle can take 5-10 minutes!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Thuryl posted:

You can turn off the extra enemies in random encounters by switching your party's Disposition to the lowest setting, at least, although there are some fixed encounters that will just throw 250 enemies at you anyway.

I never knew that! That would have been very useful for making the game not a slog.

I never changed the disposition setting from the default but I assumed the disposition setting was for the frequency of random encounters, not the amount of enemies during encounters.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

precision posted:

The first game I beat without help was Wizardry 6, which was kind of shocking because I never got very far in 5 at all and I know for a fact I was not really min maxing or putting much thought into anything

Contrary to it's reputation, I think Wizardry 6 plays fair for it's time. The combat is balanced, you don't have to grind, and the puzzles are intuitive. Unless you are playing on hard difficulty, you don't really need to min-max and build the perfect party.

I remember 5 having a bunch of obscure puzzles and bad dungeon levels.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

A big part of Wizardry 6's reputation has been you're totally screwed if your party is not composed of six super-ninja-samurai-mages.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

precision posted:

That's absolutely not true though. I never used class changing, and IIRC my party was valkyrie, samurai, ninja, bard, bishop and mage. And like I said, this was before I'd developed any kind of min maxing mentality

I didn't say it was true?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I find Wizardry 4 just doesn't feel like a CRPG to me. It feels more like someone trying to make an adventure game out of the Wizardry 1-3 engine. Way more focused on puzzles and items than combat. I still love it though! Definitely worth checking out, especially for the "grandmaster" ending.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Using the keyboard is much quicker. The mouse interface is horrid because it's just the keyboard interface but you click things instead of selecting them, but you can't use the keyboard at the same time and moving the mouse is so much more annoying than using the arrows on your keyboard.

I set Wizardry 6 to keyboard only and used the key mapper in Dosbox to work with my gamepad. I found playing it with a gamepad more comfortable than the default keyboard keys (Arrow keys and enter).

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

rgb3x looks nothing like 90s monitors though? Filters look really ugly to me, it makes the whole image blacked out. You are better off using the "pixel-perfect" output found in Dosbox ECE if you are looking for something more authentic.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

what are you trying to play that gets blacked out/what do you mean by "blacked out"?
this? https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

How dark the image is:
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

The normal2x/3x is more accurate.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

Right. Normal 2x/3x looks more accurate for Doom in zoomed up screenshots. Even though rgb 2x/3x looks like rear end in the screenshot on the website, try using the RGB render like I suggested in Wizardry 6 or Jagged Alliance 1/JA: DG. It costs you nothing to try and just might impress you.

Looked at the DOSBox ECE thing you mentioned.....and the "pixel-perfect" output mode you mentions seems to have been dropped.

The pixel-perfect scaler got broken in the newer releases so it got taken out. But the webpage has links to the older versions Dosbox ECE when it worked. It's not necessary but if you want accuracy then pixel-perfect is the way to go.

I tried the RGP scaler with Wiz6 and it looks bad, just like doomguy's mug in the wiki. The pixels are nice and crisp looking. However the scaler uses scanlines. So instead of colorful pixels the scanlines dulls the pixels, darkening the overall picture. The pixel-perfect scaler has the sharp picture without the pseudo scanlines making the picture dark.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Bholder posted:

Also I just noticed that the GOG installs the Wizardry Gold version by default and uh... it doesn't look very good.

For the best of both worlds, here is an automap mod for the dos versions of Wizardry 7 and 6:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/wizardry-7-automap-mod

I never played Wizardry 7 but those graphics and music in the dos version are so charming!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

IIRC Master of Orion II was originally titled Master of Antares in development so it wasn't intended to be a sequel. It's a shame that most post-90's 4x games took inspiration from MOO2 rather than the first one. MOO1 is just well designed and lean. It's a 4x game that's pick-up-and-play rather than feeling like being committed to a 20-plus hour game of micromanaging planets.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Well, you can't import your party from Wiz6 to 7. I think that alone is a good enough reason not to play the SFC version.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I maintain, however, that if they are going to make a game where class-changing is so desirable, though, that random stat changes on level up are bloody stupid. Give people +2 stats at level up and let them pick. I am very firm in the belief that any time a game makes people save scum, it's bad design. The reason that I am tempted to play Wiz6 with a pre-saved end-game party (end-game stats & spells, not gear) and not a fresh one is largely for this reason.

Wiz 6 can be played without class changing, unless you are playing on hard mode and need everyone in your party to be a super stealth ninja.

Dreamsicle posted:

For me honestly, if they add other tilesets I'd be all set. It's the only thing that's held me back from playing 6 and why I've been flipping between starting at either 6 or 7.

I thought this would bother me too but you really will spend most of your time looking at a map and mapping, or using the automap mod, to navigate that you barely look at the dungeon graphics anyway.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I know, because I followed the LP of the game here at SA and the Spanish chap who did it barely if at all changed class (the Wiz7 follow-up died), but I stand by the point. Having a game where everyone can do everything... eventually is a good core concept, but people need to have control over growth and not have to press reload dozens of times - especially in a game with one lousy save slot.

Yeah I get your point, just saying you can save yourself some headache by ignoring class changing and roll the characters you want at the start instead of using someone's characters. The Comic Forge editor can give you max stats at character creation.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

No casters? Isn't that odd? I was thinking at least a Bishop for versatility (and diagonal movement)

Bishops are awful IIRC, they learn spells very slowly.

My party consisted of Sam, Val, Nin, Pri, Bar, Mag. My logic being that the Priest and Mage are the pure casters for healing and offensive spells, with the Samurai and Valkyrie as backup casters. Keep in mind I didn't class change...

Cardiovorax posted:

Are status effects as powerful and vital in Wiz6 as they are in Wiz8? Because a spellcaster of some sort would really be a good idea then.

Won't be Wizardry if they weren't!

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2021

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Thing is, so far as I have seen, Cosmic Forge does not have a straight-up character editor. All that other stuff they did yet somehow that was skipped. I can't imagine that it was technically impossible, and I have no idea why someone wouldn't include the thing that people would want the most. I wish that I could just lock my characters to all 18 stats and insure max ability points on level up so that I don't have to save scum.

drat is that right? I could have sworn Cosmic Forge Editor could edit character stats.

Cardiovorax posted:

So that's what it would look like if Wizardry caught the anime, neat.

Vice versa, Wizardry had an anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYMeuiFyv8

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

There is an automap program for MM1-5 called Where are we? It even has a spell list and a bunch of other QoL stuff.

I prefer automapping but I loved hand mapping on graph paper in the older Wizardry games (it helps that each dungeon level was only a 20x20 square). Hand mapping anything else seems like a nightmare.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 28, 2021

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"...and even more cartography than the bestselling fantasy game we all know the name of."

Hmm I WONDER...

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I think Dosbox-X supports save states and is updated regularly.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Arivia posted:

i could have done without all the really loving bad bigotry though, yikes

Who would of thought popular youtuber WaffenSSethSaal-Schutz88 is a racist!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Isn't Ultima 4 supported by scummvm now?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

The real question is: why would you want to play it through scummvm?

Because it might not have this:

Genpei Turtle posted:

XU4 is good but there’s a long-standing bug I ran into years ago that makes the game unwinnable because the game hangs/crashes in a dungeon room you need to go through to get one of the stones. Checking their site is still looks like it hasn’t been addressed either.

You can work around the bug by loading the save in DosBOX U4 just until you get that stone though.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Glagha posted:

As a person who has played m&m1 in the modern era, I feel like that game is SHOCKINGLY more approachable than you'd expect, especially compared to contemporaries like Wizardry. It's got some assholishness and some jank but it's practically fair a lot of the time, at least IMO.

I thought it aged great too. The game only uses CGA graphics but still uses different wall tiles for areas so you know if you are in a town, dungeon, forest, etc. Compare that to EGA/VGA Wizardry 6 which used the brick castle wall graphics for everything.

The MAC version looks nice but the game controls much better with a keyboard. I suggest playing the DOS version with the automapper. The automapper even has QoL features like having proper spell list.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I dunno, in some cases, I feel like I should just skip to the games I'm more interested in playing, like M&M6 or Arx Fatalis*, but at the same time, I feel kind of remiss about doing that.

Think about it this way, if you play MM6 and love it, you will be motivated to check out the other games in the series.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Plus by fastidiously ensuring I beat VI, I got caught up mid-VII and could never figure out how to get back on the main storyline when trying to pick it up again months or years later. That is really the killer for the era of games before the game actually told you what you were supposed to be doing next in an easy-to-access way

I think games from the 90's in general were way too long for there own good. Like the Wizardry games from the 80's lasted about 12 hours and that was perfect.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I started playing Might & Magic - World of Xeen and I'm enjoying it alot! I was in the mood for a nice and breezy RPG and this is perfect. Xeen might be my favorite M&M game so far; the game auto-notes everything and your inventory now organized where it was a huge mess to deal with in M&M3.